Author Topic: Muse - v. Will of the People (rel Aug 26, 2022)  (Read 211139 times)

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Re: Muse - The 2nd Law trailer online
« Reply #560 on: June 27, 2012, 08:35:45 AM »
Nice Hope it doesn't suck.

Offline adace

« Reply #561 on: June 27, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »
Pretty nervous about hearing the new song. Hoping it's a better lead single than Uprising was.
Edit: Just found a clip of the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9k0iaK8bSE&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:28:09 AM by adace »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #562 on: June 27, 2012, 10:44:41 AM »
Dubstep can be okay if done right, but in the trailer it sounded pretty generic IMO. Standard Dubstep.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #563 on: June 27, 2012, 12:35:55 PM »
That was beyond bizarre.

It's not the dubstep song, by the way. That's Unsustainable.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: June 27, 2012, 12:57:40 PM »
Pretty nervous about hearing the new song. Hoping it's a better lead single than Uprising was.
Edit: Just found a clip of the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9k0iaK8bSE&feature=youtu.be
Sounded good.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline adace

« Reply #565 on: June 27, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
I'm pretty reassured by this song after the dubstep thing. It's bombastic and epic, just how I like it. At the same time though, I can see how people can hate it. Like most of Muse's stuff, it's polarizing. You either love it or hate it. Not much middle ground.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:41:46 PM by ariich »

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #566 on: June 27, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »
That was Matt singing??

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #567 on: June 27, 2012, 02:47:02 PM »
Need one with good quality... but it's good.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #568 on: June 27, 2012, 03:43:04 PM »
For links, can people make sure they only post official streams. I'm sure there probably is one somewhere!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: June 27, 2012, 07:11:44 PM »
They said the single would be available for purchase on itunes after the BBC stream, but i don't see it. Maybe only on UK itunes store?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: June 27, 2012, 10:14:05 PM »
That was absolutely nothing like anything I expected it to be. 

I'll need to absorb it for a while before I can decide whether or not I actually like it. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline robwebster

« Reply #571 on: June 28, 2012, 02:33:50 AM »
They said the single would be available for purchase on itunes after the BBC stream, but i don't see it. Maybe only on UK itunes store?
It wasn't up for me, last I checked, either. Is now for me, though. Have another poke round - if it's still not around, then yeah, UK only.

That was absolutely nothing like anything I expected it to be. 

I'll need to absorb it for a while before I can decide whether or not I actually like it. 
I think I might need to absorb it four or five times before I'll have a clue - song's absolutely ridiculous. That's good, though. Even if I decide I hate it. I've missed being stunned by Muse songs.

Speaking of - Matt Bellamy had some interesting stuff to say after the single's premiere. Apparently they've got a song with a lot of brass in it called Panic Station. And they confirmed that Unsustainable is the only song on the album that's particularly dubsteppy, but they're trying to do to the genre what Rage Against the Machine did to rap. As for this one, they've got a very good pianist who wanted to play it live with them, so Survival was composed specifically to have lots of piano and lots of guitar going at the same time - and by the sounds of things (though I could have misinterpreted him, here) this one isn't for the album, this isn't the first single from The Second Law, that's still coming, so we can think of this as a dry run.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: June 28, 2012, 02:50:00 AM »
And they confirmed that Unsustainable is the only song on the album that's particularly dubsteppy, but they're trying to do to the genre what Rage Against the Machine did to rap.

That seems like a fun goal, but based on what I've heard of Unsustainable, I'm not sure they actually succeeded. 

By the way, do you have a link to these comments?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline robwebster

« Reply #573 on: June 28, 2012, 03:17:57 AM »
I don't, I'm afraid! It was an audio interview - Radio 1, directly after the single's broadcast.

I'm happy to record it from iPlayer if it's cool by the mods. Don't know where that registers on the legality radar, though. Probaby a bit iffy, I'd wager?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: June 28, 2012, 03:19:15 AM »
Ah, alright.  No big deal, then.  I was just curious.  I'm happy to take your word on what was said. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Mladen

« Reply #575 on: June 28, 2012, 07:04:33 AM »
Still no song?

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #576 on: June 28, 2012, 07:24:05 AM »
They must be taking the piss, that's terrible...it sounded good until the lyrics :lol
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: June 28, 2012, 01:56:43 PM »
Not up on itunes like they said. Lame.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #578 on: June 28, 2012, 04:01:07 PM »
Heard the song last night, pretty interesting stuff! Huge sound, very epic. It's very unusual though, quite a weird song, so I think a lot of people will need to get used to it first. Does seem like a strange choice for somethings as massively public as the Olympics theme song.

Lyrics are pretty cheesy, but then I've never expected good lyrics from Muse. :lol They're also very fitting for the Olympics, which is probably why it was chosen.

Does anyone know if this is actually on the album? A couple of sites are saying that this is not the lead single for the album and that Unsustainable will be, but that doesn't indicate whether it's even on the album or not...

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #579 on: June 28, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
It's not the lead single from the album - that's coming, they said that on the Radio 1 interview - but whether it's going to appear on the album or not, I've no idea. I presume it will, as the prelude doesn't come with the iTunes single, but it's anyone's guess.

Having slept on it, I'm quickly falling in love with it. Lyrics are poor, even by Muse's standards, (which usually veer wildly from "pretty cool" to "pedestrian,") but musically it's exactly the right brand of bonkers.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: June 28, 2012, 11:05:32 PM »
"Bonkers" is definitely the right word to describe it.  I hope the new album follows suit.  Resistance (and Neutron Star Collision) was Muse-by-numbers.  This is Muse but not like we've seen before, and that excites me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #581 on: June 29, 2012, 12:16:26 AM »
Resistance ... was Muse-by-numbers. 
Between the bass clarinet solo and symphonic trilogy, I'm not sure I'd agree with that at all.

But yeah, it's always exciting when they try something new.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #582 on: July 13, 2012, 06:06:26 AM »
Bahaha. This is genuinely very funny.

Few months ago, someone in the band drunkenly tweeted a picture of Dom, exhausted, in the studio, not realising that the whiteboard behind him contained working titles for all of the songs on the new album.

Today, they tweeted this - and a ";-)"

To clarify -

1. Supremacy
2. Madness
3. Panic Station
4. Prelude
5. Survival
6. Follow Me
7. Animals
8. Explorers
9. Big Freeze
10. Save Me
11. Liquid State
12. The 2nd Law: Unsustainable
13. The 2nd Law: Isolated System

I think Survival will benefit, lyrically, from being taken away from the Olympic context.

Resistance ... was Muse-by-numbers. 
Between the bass clarinet solo and symphonic trilogy, I'm not sure I'd agree with that at all.

But yeah, it's always exciting when they try something new.
It's funny, isn't it. On paper, it looks like it should be mad. Doesn't stop there, Undisclosed Desires was full-on R&B, Uprising was glam rock - the album should've been ridiculous. Ultimately, though, I tend to agree with ninja. It's come out a little... vanilla? Tried and tested? Might just be after the paradigm shift of BHAR, or something to do with the songs being (in my opinion) good rather than great. But I thought the idea of a three-part twelve minute Muse symphony sound delicious, and it turned out, well, fine. Good listen, but the Resistance doesn't fizzle, not like their other stuff - not for me, anyway.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:13:37 AM by robwebster »

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #583 on: July 13, 2012, 07:02:50 AM »
As long as theres no song like Undisclosed Desires I'll be fine.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #584 on: July 13, 2012, 10:05:49 AM »

Undisclosed Desires is my favorite song on the album  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #585 on: July 13, 2012, 11:21:07 AM »

Mine too. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #586 on: July 13, 2012, 11:41:48 AM »

Mine too. :tup

Mine thrice. Stunningly beautiful song.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: July 13, 2012, 12:04:04 PM »
Same here.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #588 on: July 13, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »
You must have read his post wrong, people. He didn't say Unnatural selection.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: July 13, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »
That song is incredibly mediocre. 

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: July 13, 2012, 12:52:06 PM »
2. Madness

Not sure exactly why, but this title has me pretty excited to hear the song. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #591 on: July 25, 2012, 03:22:16 PM »
Just saw this:

"We went to see Skrillex in Camden around October. We went, ‘Fuck, it’s so heavy,’ loved it. I was like a full metal gig, they had circles of death, people were moshing, I hadn’t seen a reaction like that to electronic music before. We took inspiration and came up with ‘The 2nd Law: Unsustainable’.”

That’s drummer Dom Howard speaking to NME*on Muse’s sixth studio album The 2nd Law.*Singer and guitarist Matt Bellamy followed up:

"Some of that hard dubstep and brostep coming from America, is capturing the imagination. The moshpit has moved from guitars and gone towards the laptop, so with that song we’re trying to see if we can challenge the laptop. We created something that was dubsteppy but we wanted to see if we could do it with real instruments. We wanted to ask, ‘Can rock bands compete with what these guys are doing?’"
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #592 on: July 26, 2012, 02:54:08 AM »
It's a very interesting concept. I just hope it rocks.  :metal

Offline robwebster

« Reply #593 on: July 29, 2012, 04:46:47 PM »
Muse and the NME summarise the new album, track-by-track. Source is Muselive.com, and all hail them for the pain of transcription - very thankless task - but I've subtracted their commentary as it's a little banal. Soz, Musers.

I've also reinstated the swearing. I hope nobody minds.

Supremacy
'Supremacy' sees the band going to "absurd levels", according to Matt. Spiralling swamp blues of the track builds to a climax of orchestral hysteria as Matt orates a terrifying scene of mankind losing its supremacy over the Earth as "the seas have risen up" and energy shortages cause global desperation.

Madness
The next single (released early August). An electronic cross between 'I Want To Break Free' and 'Faith'. "You've had a fight with your girlfriend and she goes off to her mum's house for the day and you're on your own going: "What did I say?"" says Matt, describing the song's inspiration. "I'm sure a lot of blokes have that experience in the early stages of relationships where you go: "Yeah, she's right, isn't she?".

Panic Station
According to Matt, in the Radio 1 interview after 'Survival', this track features brass. Muse have cited Prince as the inspiration for the 80's effects on the track. The song is describes as having a "hysteric" feel, which is reflected in demented 80's elements such as backwards 'Let's Dance' drumbeats and riffs reminiscent of INXS' 'Suicide Blonde'. More gasping vocally from Matt. "That's 'Scary Monsters' Bowie meets Primus", says Matt. "Doing a funk track was for us remembering Rush and Primus, the more slap-bass things we liked." "Those big, spacious, wet, massive drum sounds," adds Dom. "It started to conjure up memories of songs we'd listened to or grew up on in the 80's by Prince and Stevie Wonder and we wanted to take it in that direction."

Prelude
You know this one.

Survival
"If [the fans] hate it, cool", says Dom. "At least it's provoking something. It's a pretty weird song for the Olympics to choose, but it's cool that they think the song can represent the enormity of the Olympics. It takes you back to Gladiator-style Olympics. Maybe they should bring some of those back, like fending off a tiger with a spiked metal ball."

Follow Me
The beginning of the track features Bingham Bellamy's heartbeat. An ode to fatherhood, by Matt.

Animals
Flamenco-flecked. 'Animals' is about economies collapsing under the weight of stock market savagery, of industries desperate to "advertise, franchise… kill the competition", and of the greed of bankers who Matt claims should "kill yourself, come on and do us all a favour". Matt says: "This song is conjuring up the rawest form of that feeling of "look what humans are capable of doing, it's shocking.'"

Explorers
An elegant, choral pop vision of dying crops and abused nature, inspired by Matt's concerns of industrial greed and business monopolies. 'Explorers' is drenched in the sense of not feeling you belong on your own planet. Very nearly called 'Alien Explorers', Matt claimed, but "not in the way of aliens from outer space but in the way of feeling like an alien on your own planet. It's about the intense desire to grow and expand - at some point nature will become the minority. I'm not sure if I'm really coming from an environmental thing - [Explorers] is where I'm singing about my views on property rights. The idea that corporations can own vast tracts of foreign countries. I'm not sure if the deal went through but, I think it was in Paraguay or Uraguay, the Bush family bought something like a million acres of land, which underneath contains the biggest natural water reservoir in South America. At some point there has to be someone who says: 'That's not right.'. Can BP buy Nigeria? At the moment they can. They could buy it and they kick all the natives out, shoot them down or whatever and just say: 'We own this now'."

Big Freeze
Stadium stomp.

Save Me
Written by Chris. The song details his battle with alcoholism, and was written at a time when he was sober. "It's about having the family, wife and kids who, despite all the crap I've put them through, at the end of it you realise they're still there and they're the ones who pulled you through," says Chris.

Liquid State
The second track on the record written by Chris, and again written about his alcohol addiction. "This one was written about the person you become when you're intoxicated and how the two of them are having this fight inside of you and it tears you apart," he adds.

The 2nd Law: Unsustainable / Isolated System
Doom-drenched operas full of newsreel reports from the end of civilisation, rapping Terminators, trumpets inflating like lifeboats and Exorcist piano pulses tinkling goodbye to the globe. "It's the noise of humanity on a tiny planet in the middle of nothing," says Matt. "Hanging around space would be so peaceful and quiet and suddenly you come to this little blip that's fucking chaos! I see it as drifting away from the planet and going into the peacefulness of what actually is gonna happen at the end of it all, which is nothingness."

I'll admit to being properly fascinated by Save Me and Liquid State. Chris has always been the quietest Muse, and Matt's always been such a dominant force in the songwriting - to me this is a bit like finding out two songs on the next DT album are gonna be written by John Myung. Can't wait, hope they're fantastic.

I love how hazy everything Matt says is. Barely lucid. Brilliant, rambling explosion of a mind. Only understand about half of it, mind.

Offline Fourth Horseman

• I know all about the honor of god, Mary Jane.
« Reply #594 on: July 29, 2012, 07:18:09 PM »
Muse is such a good band and they're ruining themselves with dubstep  :(