Author Topic: Muse - v. Will of the People (rel Aug 26, 2022)  (Read 211928 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Muse - The 2nd Law trailer online
« Reply #595 on: July 29, 2012, 07:22:33 PM »
Muse is such a good band and they're ruining themselves with dubstep  :(

Let's wait till we hear a full song before passing judgment.  Its not like they bought a laptop and FL Studio.  They're using guitars to make those sounds, which I think is a really cool way of doing it.

I'm really excited based on those track reviews.  Panic Station intrigues me a lot, but two songs written by CHRIS?  This is very different indeed.  Hopefully that shows that Matt's not in complete control over the rest of the album like he was on the Resistance.  I'm really interested in hearing what he has to say, simply because we hear so much from Matt and more creative voices in a band really helps them out. 

btw, I'm surprised I haven't heard "Survival" at all during the Olympic broadcast (US).  Did they play it during the opening ceremony?  Are they planning to play it at the closing ceremony?  Because if Muse doesn't play "Survival" and Queen doesn't play "We Are the Champions" something is terribly terribly wrong.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #596 on: July 29, 2012, 07:49:57 PM »
Agreed on all of the above - including the response to Fourth Horseman. Dubstep isn't my genre at all, but then neither's R&B and yet I love Undisclosed Desires. Muse have built up a pretty good record for genre-bending. From any other band, I'd think it sounded like tedious pandering. Muse, however, have earnt the benefit of the doubt five times over.

btw, I'm surprised I haven't heard "Survival" at all during the Olympic broadcast (US).  Did they play it during the opening ceremony?  Are they planning to play it at the closing ceremony?  Because if Muse doesn't play "Survival" and Queen doesn't play "We Are the Champions" something is terribly terribly wrong.
They did not! As far as I'm aware. They might've played after the athletes strode on, I switched off when they were still on the "Bs," but I've not heard anything, and they'd been significantly more heavily rumoured for the closing ceremony than the opening.

There was a lot of Muse in the opening ceremony. The intro tape ended with Map of the Problematique, and there was a big bit in the middle of the internet section where a lot of people were dancing to Uprising, but no Survival. Presumably because this opening ceremony would've been in the works for months now, and Survival's only been released within the last few weeks. I'll be very surprised if they don't play it at the closing ceremony.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #597 on: July 29, 2012, 08:07:21 PM »
Yeah, Muse using dubstep with real instruments sounds really cool.  It's the sort of small innovation that more bands should be attempting.  Hopefully it works out for them, but I'm going to give them a chance on this.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #598 on: July 30, 2012, 04:15:50 AM »
That summary really got me interested. I'm sure the album will be quite an experience. I hope I'll like it better than The Resistance and Black holes and revelations, both of them are pretty good but are my least favorite Muse albums.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #599 on: July 30, 2012, 05:25:27 AM »
I love BH&R, but agreed WRT The Resistance. Let's see how it goes, though! My one reservation is that it looks, structurally, very similar to The Resistance - with the singles toward the start, then once we're three songs down we get the Queen-inspired piano-rocker (plus interlude), until we get steadily more paranoid and rocky in the build-up to the multi-part finale.

That's hardly a concern, though. Just the blurb for The 2nd Law is a lot more exciting than Exogenesis. And we've got flamenco, dubstep, swampy blues - Panic Station, in particular, sounds bonkers. 80s glam-disco with a touch of Rush? Bring it on.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #600 on: July 30, 2012, 06:29:53 AM »
I think Exogenesis is pretty much the heart of the album, it's truly a beautiful suite. I'm also digging Unnatural selection and I belong to you like crazy. The singles aren't that impressive, though, which is strange because it was the singles that caught my attention on Black holes.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #601 on: July 30, 2012, 06:32:06 AM »
Ok, now I'm psyched.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #602 on: July 30, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »
Muse just tweeted this, along with the hashtag #musethe2ndlaw

I hope that's not the cover art. Anyone recognise the shapes? It looks like it might be a sciencey thing. Like the path of a particle or some such. Maybe radioactive decay? I'm sure I've seen graphs like that before, but my physics is failing me...

Offline robwebster

« Reply #603 on: July 30, 2012, 09:16:59 AM »
Aha! And within the last minute.

I think they're revealing the cover art!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #604 on: July 30, 2012, 09:20:07 AM »
I can't wait to see what it turns out to be. I love these type of ''what the hell'' covers.  ;D

Just listened to the Survival for the first time and thought it was pretty rad.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #605 on: July 30, 2012, 09:22:07 AM »
Good man! That's the correct answer. You've passed the test. How were the lyrics for you?

There were ten minutes between the first two pictures - the next should be due in 2-4 minutes or so, I guess?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #606 on: July 30, 2012, 09:28:55 AM »

Yep, every ten. No, Rolf, I cannot guess what it is yet.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #607 on: July 30, 2012, 09:31:43 AM »
The lyrics are okay, but they do seem kinda cheesy when connected to the Olympics.  :smiley: And the cover art is freaking me out so far.  :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #608 on: July 30, 2012, 09:43:14 AM »
Well, FREAK FURTHER!

With each panel, I feel like I've got progressively less of an idea of how this artwork's going to pan out.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: July 30, 2012, 09:44:17 AM »
Looks like visual gibberish to me.

Neat, though.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: July 30, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #611 on: July 30, 2012, 10:17:50 AM »
Looks like a punk rock hair-do.  :lol More yarn!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: July 30, 2012, 10:21:45 AM »
They keep posting pictures but I still have no idea what its supposed to be  :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #613 on: July 30, 2012, 10:24:39 AM »
I'd quite like it if they kept hinting, posting little updates, adding to an image little by little, and then ten tweets later revealed a completely different photo by Storm Thorgerson with a big fat Muse logo in the corner.

Offline Index

• I Can Float Here Forever
« Reply #614 on: July 30, 2012, 10:27:59 AM »
I am so tired of this dubstep fad. The music seriously sounds retarded to me. Wobble, wobble, wobble really? Is this what passes for mainstream now? And they fact that rock bands are starting to incorporate in their music just baffles me.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #615 on: July 30, 2012, 11:10:23 AM »

A bunch of yarn. Disappointing. Looks like one of the recent Peter Gabriel covers. No Muse logo or album name. Meh.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: July 30, 2012, 11:12:13 AM »
I'm convinced there has to be more than this.  It looks cool but it could look cooler, I guess.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #617 on: July 30, 2012, 11:14:15 AM »
Facebook post makes me think it's a diagram of the brain in some way.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #618 on: July 30, 2012, 11:15:29 AM »
I'm convinced there has to be more than this.  It looks cool but it could look cooler, I guess.

I linked the pic from their FB page, where the post said this was the full cover.  :-\

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: July 30, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »
Yeah just saw that on Twitter.  whelp.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #620 on: July 30, 2012, 12:06:53 PM »
WELP indeed.

Kosmo

« Reply #621 on: July 30, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »
Really not the kind of cover I expected with that album title. I think that some of the earlier versions would have looked better.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #622 on: July 30, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »
First impressions - not hugely impressed, but it's stark enough to be iconic. I think it might grow.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #623 on: July 30, 2012, 02:50:41 PM »
Yeah I was def expecting something more epic like the other ones.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #624 on: July 30, 2012, 03:24:14 PM »
It's weird, therefore I like it.  :tup

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #625 on: July 30, 2012, 07:32:35 PM »
I've seen worse covers, but this is definitely pretty far down the list.

Still, it's just a cover.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #626 on: August 01, 2012, 01:58:58 PM »
https://musique.jeuxactu.com/news-muse-on-a-ecoute-the-2nd-law-en-avant-premiere-12334.htm

French review of the new album. In particular --

10. "SAVE ME" (5:09)
La première "cassure" de l'album intervient avec "Save Me" sur lequel Matthew Bellamy laisse le micro au bassiste Chris Wolstenholme. La transition est quelque peu déroutante car les voix des deux musiciens sont totalement différentes. Chris donne un registre bien plus grave que son collègue.

11. "LIQUID STATE" (3:03)
"Liquid State", le second titre composé et chanté par Chris, est incontestablement le morceau le plus rock de The 2nd Law. La voix de Chris fait presque penser à celle de Maynard James Keenan, le chanteur de Tool, par moment.

Which, after I brutally corrupt it with my GCSE French, comes out as something like this...

10. "SAVE ME" (5:09)
The first "crack" of the album occurs with "Save Me," on which Matthew Bellamy leaves the microphone to bassist Chris Wolstenholme. The transition is perhaps a bit jarring as the voices of the two musicians are totally different. Chris sings in a much lower register than his colleague.

11. "LIQUID STATE" (3:03)
"Liquid State," the second title composed and sung by Chris, is without a doubt the rockiest cut from The 2nd Law. Chris's voice brings to mind Maynard James Keenan, the vocalist from Tool.

I didn't realise he was singing on them!!

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: August 01, 2012, 02:52:54 PM »
Awesome!
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #628 on: August 02, 2012, 04:02:22 AM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: August 02, 2012, 06:49:31 AM »
Now that's even MORE interesting.

And according to their Facebook, the album's been delayed until October 1st.  Not sure why, considering the album seems to be finished.  When they say "rockiest cut" do they mean it rocks the hardest or that its not so great?