Author Topic: Neil Peart - Dead at 67  (Read 41718 times)

Online HOF

Re: Neil Peart - Dead at 67
« Reply #735 on: January 21, 2021, 03:59:26 PM »
"Net boy. Net girl."   :lol

That's all I have  :justjen

I love this song and still have no idea why that’s a bad lyric!

Online Lupton

« Reply #736 on: January 21, 2021, 04:09:26 PM »

I dunno. There's just something about it and the way Geddy sings it that's just screamingly hilarious to me!  I'm OK with the rest of the song...but my gawd does that chorus make me cringe!

Nice to see we all have different tastes.  :tup

Online HOF

« Reply #737 on: January 21, 2021, 04:20:06 PM »

I dunno. There's just something about it and the way Geddy sings it that's just screamingly hilarious to me!  I'm OK with the rest of the song...but my gawd does that chorus make me cringe!

Yeah, there really doesn’t seem to be any consensus on even what the bad Rush songs are!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #738 on: January 21, 2021, 04:24:04 PM »
Ok, the lyrics to Virtuality isn't the greatest when it comes to referencing the modern internet in its early years, but I really do like that opening instrumentally.  It feels like something you can drive to.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #739 on: January 21, 2021, 04:43:43 PM »
Second Nature is the most obvious candidate for worst Rush song in my book. Tai Shan is also probably on that worst 5 list.

Cygnus X-1 might be on the list. Spindrift is a good candidate. Face Up or Heresy maybe.  I’ve never heard the self-titled album so those might all be on the list I guess.

Ummmm...WHAT?  Not sure which Book you're talking about, but both are far more likely to show up in a TOP 10 list than a bottom anything list.

As far as Second Nature and Open Secrets, they're both pretty blah (as is most of HYF outside of Time Stand Still and Mission), but they're not really "bad" and certainly not hate-worthy.

The one on A Farewell to Kings. It just drones on without anything really interesting happening.

Opinions and all, but

It's a terrible chorus.  It felt like Neil had a list of internet terms and just crammed them all into the chorus whether or not they worked.  And the part where Alex uses his guitar to sound like a dial-up modem seemed dumb even back then.  HOWEVER, the rest of the song is actually pretty damn good.

Also, would someone PLEASE explain the old guy (apparently Bernie Sanders) that seems to be everywhere today.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Lupton

« Reply #740 on: January 21, 2021, 04:45:48 PM »

Yeah, there really doesn’t seem to be any consensus on even what the bad Rush songs are!

Too true. For me so many songs listed in the last few pages as "worst songs" are alright or really good: Big Wheel, You Bet Your Life, Hand over Fist, Scars, Time and Motion, Dog Years.

Hell, even Carve Away the Stone I see as a slightly superior version of Wish Them Well (which recycles the chorus from the former). Yet it's still considered one of the lesser songs from a lesser album. But yet all the Rush fans seem to unanimously agree that everything on CA is the tits. Go figure.

And of course Chemistry is awesome!

Online HOF

« Reply #741 on: January 21, 2021, 04:54:08 PM »

Too true. For me so many songs listed in the last few pages as "worst songs" are alright or really good: Big Wheel, You Bet Your Life, Hand over Fist, Scars, Time and Motion, Dog Years.

Hell, even Carve Away the Stone I see as a slightly superior version of Wish Them Well (which recycles the chorus from the former). Yet it's still considered one of the lesser songs from a lesser album. But yet all the Rush fans seem to unanimously agree that everything on CA is the tits. Go figure.

Hah, yeah I love Carve Away The Stone (and most of Test for Echo). I also find it funny how much more people seem to like Clockwork Angels as it has a lot of similarities with Test for Echo (only with extremely awful mix/mastering).

Online Lupton

« Reply #742 on: January 21, 2021, 05:14:17 PM »

Hah, yeah I love Carve Away The Stone (and most of Test for Echo). I also find it funny how much more people seem to like Clockwork Angels as it has a lot of similarities with Test for Echo (only with extremely awful mix/mastering).

Now that you mention it....another one comes straight to mind. Halo Effect basically re-uses the main riff from Half the World. It's been ages since I listened to CA, but doesn't that tune also have a mandolin solo? Again, CA re-using T4E ideas.

Online HOF

« Reply #743 on: January 21, 2021, 05:17:02 PM »

Now that you mention it....another one comes straight to mind. Halo Effect basically re-uses the main riff from Half the World. It's been ages since I listened to CA, but doesn't that tune also have a mandolin solo? Again, CA re-using T4E ideas.

Yeah, Halo Effect is similar to Half the World. A lot of riffs in various places are similar but I’d need to listen to it again. It’s really hard to get through for me. Some great songs but the sound is almost as bad as VT, maybe worse.

Online Lupton

« Reply #744 on: January 21, 2021, 05:24:10 PM »

Yeah, Halo Effect is similar to Half the World. A lot of riffs in various places are similar but I’d need to listen to it again. It’s really hard to get through for me. Some great songs but the sound is almost as bad as VT, maybe worse.

Yeah I don't remember the production being that good. I suppose I've gotten all too used to most modern productions of heavier music which aim to sound like boomy, distorted, reverb-y shit bouncing off a restroom wall, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was intentionally bad. I really need to spin CA again and give it another good listen on it's own terms and try to ignore the riff lineage so-to-speak.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #745 on: January 21, 2021, 06:57:40 PM »
I don't mind the lyrics to Virtuality, and that riff is totally bad ass. I would rank that as one of the top songs on Test for Echo along with Resist.

There are definitely no bad songs on Clockwork Angels, but I agree that the sound could/should have been a lot better.  Imagine that record with a production similar to Counterparts. *drools*

Offline jammindude

« Reply #746 on: January 21, 2021, 08:27:34 PM »
Gonna guess;

Face Up
Heresy
Big Wheel
Neurotica
You Bet Your Life

?

Have you been stalking me?  Freakin creepy that you went 5 for 5 on the first try.

You dug through my old posts, didn’t you?

Re: the AC/DC thread...PROMISE I’m doing that this weekend. Three week vacation was desperately needed, and attained. But I’m back to the grind now.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #747 on: January 21, 2021, 08:57:49 PM »
Among the 5 worst Rush songs, I might agree on

Face Up
Neurotica
You Bet Your Life

--------------------

Heresy? The Big Wheel? 

.-'---`-.
,'          `.
|             \
|              \
\           _  \
,\  _    ,'-,/-)\
( * \ \,' ,' ,'-)
`._,)     -',-')
  \/         ''/
   )        / /
  /       ,'-'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #748 on: January 22, 2021, 05:26:31 AM »

Not this one; I'm not as big a fan as some here, but I have pretty much every song they've ever released except for the live Vital Signs (unless it's on one of the deluxe reissues) and the first single, so I'm not a casual fan either.  CA would probably be my most overrated album in the catalogue in terms of my tastes versus the fanbase (meaning, it's not bad, it's pretty good, but not godlike, as some hold it; for the life of me I don't get the reverence for The Garden).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 10:24:04 AM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #749 on: January 22, 2021, 10:12:27 AM »
But yet all the Rush fans seem to unanimously agree that everything on CA is the tits. Go figure.

Not I.  I think CA is probably the weakest of the three 21st Century Rush albums.

CA would probably be my most overrated album in the catalogue in terms of my tastes versus the fanbase (meaning, it's not bad, it's pretty good, but not godlike, as some hold it

I don't know about the fanbase as a whole, but based on the reverence in which it seems to be held here, I completely agree, and I wouldn't even go so far as to say "pretty good."

for the life of me I don't get the reverence for The Garden).

Now you've gone and done it.  The Garden seems to be some sort of sacred cow ( :natalieportman: ), so you can expect to be pilloried for denying its status as a deity.  I keep trying and...just...no.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: January 22, 2021, 10:31:40 AM »

Now you've gone and done it.  The Garden seems to be some sort of sacred cow ( :natalieportman: ), so you can expect to be pilloried for denying its status as a deity.  I keep trying and...just...no.

I know!  I'm ready!  Bring it on!

Online HOF

« Reply #751 on: January 22, 2021, 10:46:42 AM »
In addition to the overall sound of CA being crummy, Geddy’s voice is a little rough as well. It was time for them to make their last album for sure. I do hate that the production is so poor, because I do think there are some gems there. In terms of their last 3 albums, I’d rate it below VT but above S&A.

The Garden wouldn’t be such a remarkable song in isolation, but it’s both a nice closer to this particular album and an obvious swan song for the band that generally hits the right notes for such a thing. There’s a lot of emotional pull there and I think that is a big factor in why it is revered. I like it a lot, even if I agree it’s not the most amazing song ever.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #752 on: January 22, 2021, 11:00:12 AM »
I don't mind the lyrics to Virtuality, and that riff is totally bad ass. I would rank that as one of the top songs on Test for Echo along with Resist.

There are definitely no bad songs on Clockwork Angels, but I agree that the sound could/should have been a lot better.  Imagine that record with a production similar to Counterparts. *drools*
Agreed.  This album does not have that crisp production like Counterparts. It makes me wonder why they didn't catch that in the studio. Same thing with the CA tour, Neil's drums were muddled in the mix when I saw them. It also shows on the bluray.   
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: January 22, 2021, 12:20:55 PM »
I stand by what I said about the song, but I will say this; this might be the best couplet in the entire catalogue:

The future disappears into memory
With only a moment between
Forever dwells in that moment
Hope is what remains to be seen

Online Lupton

« Reply #754 on: January 22, 2021, 12:24:13 PM »
Not this one; I'm not as big a fan as some here, but I have pretty much every song they've ever released except for the live Vital Signs (unless it's on one of the deluxe reissues) and the first single, so I'm not a casual fan either.  CA would probably be my most overrated album in the catalogue in terms of my tastes versus the fanbase (meaning, it's not bad, it's pretty good, but not godlike, as some hold it; for the life of me I don't get the reverence for The Garden).

My experience with CA has always been the same every time I've checked it out. I quite enjoy the 1st 3 songs (Caravan, BU2B, title track) and then find the next two (Carnies and The Anarchist I think?) to be merely serviceable but neither offensive nor enjoyable. From there the album takes a sharp dive off a cliff. Nothing else I remember liking, and the rest of it just becomes a grand disappointment. Don't get all the gushing for Headlong Flight -- and I thought Armor & Sword was a harmonically clunky and awkward; this tune makes it look elegant by comparison! 

However, I can understand the emotional appeal of The Garden. It really does put a nice cap on Rush's career (from a lyrical perspective). But I agree that the song is somewhat average and for me there's just no joy in it. It's a bore. Now Available Light. There's a solid album closer! Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the ending phase of Rush's studio output was by far the weakest phase of their career.  For me Presto-thru-T4E > anything that followed it. 

Online Lupton

« Reply #755 on: January 22, 2021, 12:33:18 PM »
Not I.  I think CA is probably the weakest of the three 21st Century Rush albums.

Nice to know I'm not alone in thinking that too! Not that it's technically a "bad album" or anything. It just doesn't really do much for me overall.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #756 on: January 22, 2021, 12:34:37 PM »
The Garden is the most beautiful song they have ever written and encapsulates the end of their career perfectly!  :metal :metal

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #757 on: January 22, 2021, 12:42:28 PM »
Yeah, The Garden is about as close to a perfect career coda as you can get (besides maybe Bowie's I Can't Give Everything Away) even if the album it's on isn't 100% amazing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: January 22, 2021, 01:11:18 PM »
Respect, but "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End".

Honorable mention, "Fading Lights".

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #759 on: January 22, 2021, 01:21:13 PM »
Their not ancient like us Stads.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online HOF

« Reply #760 on: January 22, 2021, 01:34:33 PM »

Except Genesis’ career coda is One Man’s Fool. 😉

Online The Letter M

« Reply #761 on: January 22, 2021, 01:35:46 PM »

But The Beatles last release was technically Let It Be, and Genesis' was Calling All Stations, sooooo...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: January 22, 2021, 01:54:25 PM »

But The Beatles last release was technically Let It Be, and Genesis' was Calling All Stations, sooooo...

-Marc.

I have to do a little gymnastics for Genesis (it was the coda for the PHIL era, so far) but I'm good to stand with Beatles, since Let It Be was in the can for over a year at the time they cut that suite, with at least Paul aware that it was likely the last major release for The Beatles proper.

And besides, if The Garden has to win on a technicality....  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

(I'm kidding)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #763 on: January 22, 2021, 02:03:09 PM »
You are all wrong.  Queen - The Show Must Go On.

End discussion.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Lupton

« Reply #764 on: January 22, 2021, 02:35:22 PM »
Well... none of that's a patch on the awesomeness that is ELP's Street War.  ;)  Totally joking of course  :lol

Online Snow Dog

« Reply #765 on: January 22, 2021, 03:16:58 PM »

I know!  I'm ready!  Bring it on!

I’d think this is more up your alley, Stadler... ;)

As far as Clockwork Angels, I think it’s a great album. Certainly not their best, but quite solid for a nearly 40 year career and definitely a step up from Snakes and Arrows. And agreed, The Garden is also a very nice song and a fitting end to a fantastic career, but it’s definitely not best-ever-be-all-end-all material.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #766 on: January 22, 2021, 03:26:38 PM »

Agreed.  This album does not have that crisp production like Counterparts. It makes me wonder why they didn't catch that in the studio. Same thing with the CA tour, Neil's drums were muddled in the mix when I saw them. It also shows on the bluray.

It boggles the mind how so many older bands, whose records sounded great in their younger days, allowed their later albums to be victimized by the bad trends of modern production, especially in the case of Rush who always had creative control over their music since 1976.

Online HOF

« Reply #767 on: January 22, 2021, 03:30:55 PM »

It boggles the mind how so many older bands, whose records sounded great in their younger days, allowed their later albums to be victimized by the bad trends of modern production, especially in the case of Rush who always had creative control over their music since 1976.

I’m convinced older artists have simply lost too much hearing between years of playing loud music and age, and it’s possible the heavily compressed mastering actually sounds better to them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #768 on: January 22, 2021, 03:36:06 PM »

I’m convinced older artists have simply lost too much hearing between years of playing loud music and age, and it’s possible the heavily compressed mastering actually sounds better to them.

Agreed.  When they released the three 80's concerts on DVD (ESL, P/G tour, A Show of Hands), Alex Lifeson (yes, the same Alex Lifeson who is my all-time favorite musician) had a huge hand in the sound when making the transfer and none of them sound as good as they did on the original VHS's.  Heck, A Show of Hands is my most watched concert ever by a wide distance, and yet I rarely watch the DVD because of how frustrating the sound is in comparison to the original. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: January 22, 2021, 05:30:40 PM »
the Bernie power windows....deleted for space and later mentioned, already posted....oops
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:37:22 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!