Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 82408 times)

Online Anguyen92

Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #735 on: October 31, 2021, 09:52:55 PM »
So after I went to a hockey game today, I decided to stop by in the City of Industry (right next to my old hometown of Diamond Bar) for some crepes.  Love me some crepes.  The restaurant was in an Asian mall that has a sushi place, dim sum, Korean BBQ, etc.  Been a long time since I've been to that area.

Here's what I got. 

One had Sliced Strawberries, Chocolate Truffles, Matcha Custard Cream, Whipped Yogurt, Chocolate Sauce, Crushed Pistachio.  The other had Okinawa Hot Dog, Mesclun Mix, Julienned Carrots, Cheddar Cheese, Red Onions, Red Peppers, Corn, Banana Ketchup, Tofu Sauce. Only costed me $17.00.  Didn't eat anything at the game as I refused to pay for arena-priced food and this good stuff filled me up nicely more than anything at the arena I would have spent with that money.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: November 02, 2021, 09:45:02 AM »
Sometimes arenas have really good food though (albiet almost always over priced). 

I'm very curious of the food options next week when I see Metallica at the Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta.  My very expensive ticket inlcudes food so I expect it will be a buffet style of food which is similar to what Metlife offers for certain seats.  But the one time I did that for a Giants game (corporate work event so they got the tickets for that) the food was really good and not cheap stuff either.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #737 on: November 02, 2021, 11:12:35 AM »
Sometimes arenas have really good food though (albiet almost always over priced). 

I'm very curious of the food options next week when I see Metallica at the Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta.  My very expensive ticket inlcudes food so I expect it will be a buffet style of food which is similar to what Metlife offers for certain seats.  But the one time I did that for a Giants game (corporate work event so they got the tickets for that) the food was really good and not cheap stuff either.

Having lived there for a number of years (and visiting often when not living there) I think you'll find your expectations met:  Good maybe even very good food, but not cheap. 

In general, though, I love the food in Atlanta.   

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #738 on: November 02, 2021, 12:28:38 PM »
Got a charcoal grill for $25. Been working on perfecting it.

Listen! Do you smell something?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: November 02, 2021, 02:03:08 PM »
In general, though, I love the food in Atlanta.

That southern food is good, it won't be my first rodeo in Atlanta but I haven't really explored a lot of the food options in previous trips and won't this next trip either.  Kind of why I got the food included option because my time will be limited (arrive at 11:30am and leave at 10AM the next day) so that makes trying to find something a bit easier plus it gives me an excuse to get to the venue ASAP and take advantage of that included food and drink.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #740 on: November 19, 2021, 10:47:56 PM »
Y'all.

I'm looking to cook a turkey with onion, apple, and cinnamon sticks for aromatics. What should I season the outside of the turkey with?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: November 22, 2021, 07:10:56 AM »
Here's one for the group:  So, I love sauteed onions, and when I make them, I slice the onions, put them in a hot pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and, a couple minutes in, I add some Madiera wine, and let them cook for about 7 or 8 minutes.  At that point, I will put a pat of butter in for the last two minutes, and they're golden.

I was making a recipe, and it said saute the onions in butter for 7 or 8 minutes, then add a teaspoon of sugar and a splash of water.  They were good, but a little bland.  I didn't want to add wine at that point, since it would take too long to burn off the alcohol flavor.  Any suggestions to adding last-minute flavor to sauteed onions?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #742 on: November 22, 2021, 09:13:09 AM »
Yeah. Hold the onions and go straight for the wine.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #743 on: November 22, 2021, 09:14:03 AM »
Here's one for the group:  So, I love sauteed onions, and when I make them, I slice the onions, put them in a hot pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and, a couple minutes in, I add some Madiera wine, and let them cook for about 7 or 8 minutes.  At that point, I will put a pat of butter in for the last two minutes, and they're golden.

I was making a recipe, and it said saute the onions in butter for 7 or 8 minutes, then add a teaspoon of sugar and a splash of water.  They were good, but a little bland.  I didn't want to add wine at that point, since it would take too long to burn off the alcohol flavor.  Any suggestions to adding last-minute flavor to sauteed onions?

At last minute, the only options you have are to adjust the seasoning with S&P, and to crank the heat to high and caramelize a bit. What will happen is the liquid sweating off the onions will reduce on the bottom of the pan, cooking out the water and leaving the remaining sugars from the carbs in the onions being broken down by the heat. This will look like a brown film on the bottom of your saute pan, as you stir it will be dissolved into the onion mixture and jack up the flavor while slightly darkening it. Be careful not to actually burn this or you'll just have a pan of shitty onions.

Honestly though, adding water and sugar is the first mistake of that recipe, and totally unnecessary. My onions, I will start at high to get them sweating good, reduce to medium and let them break down(about a ten to fifteen minute process), then finish at high like I said above. Finish with S&P. If you want them good and dark, just extend the middle phase until they're to your liking. The Madeira is a good touch, or some sherry works nicely as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: November 22, 2021, 09:29:21 AM »
Cool, thanks!    Yeah, I've never added straight sugar (I guess alcohol adds sugars to them); I think I added too much water, too, since it was a bit soupy.   

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #745 on: November 22, 2021, 09:39:08 AM »
Cool, thanks!    Yeah, I've never added straight sugar (I guess alcohol adds sugars to them); I think I added too much water, too, since it was a bit soupy.

And onions have a shit ton of natural sugars, varying from mild yellow to the super sweet Vidalia. The only time I'd add water would be in the latter steps to hurry up the caramelization process, always let the onions release their water first, that maximizes the flavor.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: December 13, 2021, 04:31:33 AM »
I've been eating pretty good out here in Frankfurt, here's some pics of deliciousness:

Curryworst and cheese/ketchup fries:

"pizza burger" with sweet potato fries:

Schnitzel with potatos:

and some German mcdonalds which had some different options than the US:

Honestly, the only thing I'm enjoying on this business trip is the food and it's just about lunch time!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #747 on: December 14, 2021, 08:32:29 AM »
^^^^ That stuff looks great Cram. I have to get over them someday

Speaking of German stuff, I got a black forrest cake for a work party

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: December 14, 2021, 08:58:22 AM »
Schnitzel with potatos:

Did you also get an enormous bowl of salad with that? When I spent two weeks at Koln, whenever I ordered a schnitzel it came with shitload of potatoes and a huge portion of salad. I don't believe I've ever ate the whole plate. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #749 on: December 14, 2021, 09:02:23 AM »
Y'all.

I'm looking to cook a turkey with onion, apple, and cinnamon sticks for aromatics. What should I season the outside of the turkey with?

The blood of your vanquished foes.  That's my go-to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #750 on: December 14, 2021, 09:20:18 AM »
Y'all.

If that doesn't work, a nice blend of garlic, thyme, and orange zest will work nicely. (with s&p of course)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: December 14, 2021, 10:18:39 AM »
Did you also get an enormous bowl of salad with that? When I spent two weeks at Koln, whenever I ordered a schnitzel it came with shitload of potatoes and a huge portion of salad. I don't believe I've ever ate the whole plate. :lol

Ya know, for one, I ate the entire plate  :lol, but when I was almost done I noticed on the menu it said it comes with veggies or salad.  They never asked me and I didn't notice so I didn't say anything while ordering.  So I guess it's one of those things if you don't speak up, they don't serve it so I don't know what the salad would have been like.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: December 14, 2021, 11:39:02 AM »
I never spoke up and they brought the goddamn salad every bloody time! :lol

I also remember we went to Burg Eltz (a medieval castle) and there's this restaurant right before you begin climbing the hills (the castle is in the hills, it's like a 5km walk). We got up early, like at 6 AM, and it was around midday so we were hungry. However we didn't know that if you order a schnitzel there you'll get 2 huge schnitzels, a heap of potatoes and that salad again. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: December 14, 2021, 12:13:52 PM »
Y'all.

If that doesn't work, a nice blend of garlic, thyme, and orange zest will work nicely. (with s&p of course)

I've been using a lot of citrus zests lately; lemon zest on carrots, lime zest in rice, lime zest in watered down sour cream as a drizzle...  it adds a nice component to it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: December 14, 2021, 12:25:22 PM »

I also remember we went to Burg Eltz (a medieval castle) and there's this restaurant right before you begin climbing the hills (the castle is in the hills, it's like a 5km walk). We got up early, like at 6 AM, and it was around midday so we were hungry. However we didn't know that if you order a schnitzel there you'll get 2 huge schnitzels, a heap of potatoes and that salad again. :lol

That actually sounds pretty cool.  Sadly no time to explore on this business trip until hopefully this weekend ill take a day off. I'm in Amsterdam now though, I've explored two castles over here and was thinking of looking up another one.  I think that stuff is so cool because you don't have these very old castles in the US.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #755 on: December 14, 2021, 12:40:47 PM »

Sounds dreadful.  :lol  Not the food, I love schnitzel, but eating that much before having to walk back down. I hiked around a lake in Switzerland, and on the back side of the lake and pretty high up is a tiny cafe. Takes an hour or two to get there each way. Threw back a couple of brats, some broth, and a tall cold one, and really felt like shit by the time I made it back down.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: December 14, 2021, 12:48:50 PM »

Sounds dreadful.  :lol  Not the food, I love schnitzel, but eating that much before having to walk back down. I hiked around a lake in Switzerland, and on the back side of the lake and pretty high up is a tiny cafe. Takes an hour or two to get there each way. Threw back a couple of brats, some broth, and a tall cold one, and really felt like shit by the time I made it back down.

It's not even up there in the hills! The restaurant is down, right before the climb to the castle. :lol

https://g.page/RingelsteinerMuhle?share

Apparently it's also a hotel but it's not like it mattered to us, we saw "Cafe - Restaurant" and that was that.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: December 14, 2021, 12:53:48 PM »
I think I'd rather walk down than up after a big meal

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #758 on: December 14, 2021, 12:54:49 PM »
All things being equal I'd rather walk down to the big meal.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #759 on: December 14, 2021, 01:23:49 PM »
Y'all.

I've been using a lot of citrus zests lately; lemon zest on carrots, lime zest in rice, lime zest in watered down sour cream as a drizzle...  it adds a nice component to it.

It's really nice in applications where it gets charred, like on the outside of a chicken. Makes the flavor of the skin pop like you wouldn't believe. Incredibly versatile.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #760 on: December 14, 2021, 03:13:47 PM »
Speaking of Schnitzel, how about a Schnittza?

How to piss off an Italian twice...put a pizza on schnitzel, then put pineapple on it  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: December 15, 2021, 08:25:15 AM »
Speaking of Schnitzel, how about a Schnittza?

Wtf :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #762 on: December 15, 2021, 10:05:15 AM »
It's Australia, what else can I say?  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #763 on: December 18, 2021, 05:52:36 PM »
Practiced making some breakfast foods today.

1. M/M pancakes
2. Bacon/cheese omelette
3. Bacon on its own

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #764 on: December 20, 2021, 08:56:57 PM »
Ate a lot of stuff in San Francisco during the weekend.  Here are the notables.

Tonkatsu curry with an omelet on top of rice on a hot pan.

Crab Cake Crepe with house potatoes and a Blintz.

Both items weren't cheap, but they were really delicious.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: December 21, 2021, 01:10:23 AM »
When traveling, I don't mind as much to spend a bit more on food especially when it's something you don't have back home, loooks good.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: December 21, 2021, 12:05:27 PM »
Travel and food go hand-in-hand for me... when I think of the Mid-East, I think of the food first (Jordanian border and Jerusalem were highlights for me).  BaaHaaBaa...  I think of Lobster, chowdah, Blueberry Pie, and BB Ice Cream (have mercy... had the IC every evening after climbing/hiking).  NYC... Katz and any old school Pizza shop.  Charleston SC... Shrimp & Grits.  Asheville... Cat-head biscuits, Tupelo Honey, and kombucha.

I'm gonna give the standing rib-roast a shot this year after last year's success with the braised short ribs (confidence boost for certain that dish).  Drying the rib-roast out in the fridge wrapped in cheese-cloth for five days or so then oil, more salt, pepper, and slow roast to 120 or so.  Going to try Yorkshire pudding as well using the drippings.  From scratch Green Bean Casserole and honey roasted Carrots to round it out.  I'll take any rib-roast pointers that chef can give me...

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: December 21, 2021, 12:13:28 PM »
Travel and food go hand-in-hand for me...

Until you travel to a country in a covid lockdown and can't eat out at all  :lol I did get some tasty food while in Amsterdam, but honestly nothing too special or to make me feel like I can associate the food here since it was all delivery.  But I do agree!  Food is such an important part of the travel experience and you can definitely relate the location to the food offerings! 

Like schnitzel in Germany

And I got some of that bangin cheese here in the Netherlands to bring home for Christmas gifts.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #768 on: December 21, 2021, 12:30:58 PM »
When traveling, I don't mind as much to spend a bit more on food especially when it's something you don't have back home, loooks good.
For years that was a big problem for me. Mainly because I live in a cheap part of the world, and spending $18 on something that would cost me $10 annoys me on general principle. Eventually I found a way to put that aside, and now I eat whatever I want to eat on the road without regard for what it does or should cost. That was one of the biggest changes I've made in the way I travel, and it makes all the difference in the world.

That said, I've always made a point to eat what and where the locals eat whenever possible. That's one of the best parts of traveling.

And I got some of that bangin cheese here in the Netherlands to bring home for Christmas gifts.
Funny how that works. A couple of my peeps are getting gift boxes of Jersey Barnfire hot sauce from my trip up there. The black garlic version really worked for me.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: December 21, 2021, 01:06:03 PM »
I'm not familiar with that hot sauce, but seems you enjoy it so maybe I should check them out.  Also, with spending the money, I think that comes with age and the ability to do so. I'm on a business trip, I can expense my meals which makes me even more interesting in testing the waters since if it sucks, it's not my money lost.  However, now a days I will treat myself when on a personal trip.  Maybe not every night, but definitely make it a point to splurge for a good unique meal to the area.