Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 79138 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #840 on: August 19, 2022, 08:56:33 PM »
Tim goes to McDonald's and brags about it.  :lol

Haven't been to McDonald's in YEARS!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #841 on: August 19, 2022, 09:00:20 PM »
Doesn't seem like it you food pleabian.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #842 on: August 19, 2022, 09:58:28 PM »
Does anyone here follow chefreactions on TikTok?

I don't know much about the guy other than he is a chef but basically what he does is comment on various cooking TikTok videos - both the good and the very bad.  I seriously laugh my ass off.  I know he has gotten banned for a few days here or there because he doesn't pull any punches and says what he really thinks.  LoL

There of course are some amazing TikTok food videos but damn there are a lot of scary ones out there too.

Do you follow amauryguichon on Instagram? He's easily the most talented of the chefs I've seen, been in the business a long time and I've never seen anyone come close to his pastry skills.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #843 on: August 19, 2022, 10:18:48 PM »
No Tik Tok for this guy.

Went to a restaurant in the woods. You have to drive down a dirt road.  It's is in a house made in the 1700's. 5 course meal. No over eating. Perfectly balanced.   

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #844 on: August 20, 2022, 07:41:17 AM »

I don't know much about the guy other than he is a chef but basically what he does is comment on various cooking TikTok videos - both the good and the very bad.  I seriously laugh my ass off.  I know he has gotten banned for a few days here or there because he doesn't pull any punches and says what he really thinks.  LoL

There of course are some amazing TikTok food videos but damn there are a lot of scary ones out there too.

Do you follow amauryguichon on Instagram? He's easily the most talented of the chefs I've seen, been in the business a long time and I've never seen anyone come close to his pastry skills.

You mean that Swiss bastard who is a chocolate sculptor?

He’s so damn good it annoys me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #845 on: August 20, 2022, 08:14:50 AM »

You mean that Swiss bastard who is a chocolate sculptor?

He’s so damn good it annoys me.

Yeah, that asshole. It's not just his sculpting, how he builds and incorporates the desserts within some of the sculptures, his techniques are so fucking precise.

Here's a good vid of all his skills in one shot... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ZIfOgp3l0&ab_channel=AmauryGuichon

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #846 on: August 20, 2022, 09:57:07 AM »
Yes. I’ve seen a million of his videos and my hatred of him intensifies from each one. Perfect bastard.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Harmony

« Reply #847 on: August 20, 2022, 10:29:01 AM »

I don't follow him but chefreactions often critiques his work (with the highest amount of admiration).  Just yesterday he posted the guy doing a bank vault made out of chocolate and filled with gold bars that was so fucking cool.  I couldn't believe it with my own eyes.  Genius. 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Harmony

« Reply #848 on: August 20, 2022, 10:39:43 AM »
So I just jumped over to TikTok to find chefreactions critiquing a woman who (I swear to god) put candy - skittles I think - in a coffee filter then filled the coffee pot with ice and slices of limes and oranges.  She then stuck 6 jalapenos into a toaster to roast them.  She rubbed the roasted jalapenos inside of a cocktail glass that she rimmed with sugar.  She "brewed" the candy with tequila into the ice and then poured that mixture into the prepared glass.

I mean, what the actual fuck is this?   :o :lol

I'd love to know how he finds these people, TBH.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #849 on: August 20, 2022, 02:50:50 PM »
I think brewing it like coffee would give it way too little time to infuse. When we made skittles vodka in Uni we just shoved a few packets into the bottle and let it infuse overnight.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: August 22, 2022, 11:38:27 AM »
I'm not familiar with the people being talked about but I'm aware of the style of video.  Gordon Ramsay does these on tiktok too.  People seem to just mix the oddest things for a chance to be called out by one of these channels.  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #851 on: August 29, 2022, 03:20:15 PM »
Tried a new restaurant today. Got the "French Dip" (Roasted & shaved beef with provolone & creamy horseradish on a sub roll, with au jus)

It was so good

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #852 on: August 29, 2022, 09:44:02 PM »
A French dip is one of those things that sounds so obvious and simple, and yet it's surprisingly easy to fuck up. Perhaps because it's so wonderful in concept my expectations are too high, but it seems like easily half the times I order one it leaves me terribly underwhelmed. The other half are great, but it's to the point that I'd just as soon not take the chance.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Harmony

« Reply #853 on: September 06, 2022, 05:15:32 PM »
On vacation.  Got some fresh cracked crab and getting ready for crab louie salads with a side of garlic/cheese french bread.

What do you all put on your crab louie salads?  I feel like I'm forgetting something.

Iceberg lettuce mixed with some romaine
Green onions chopped
Cucumber diced
Red pepper slices
Baby carrot sticks
Sliced avocado
Cherry tomatoes halved
Sliced black olives
Hard boiled egg
Crab
1000 Island dressing
Lemon quarter to squeeze over the top

I usually do some celery but I forgot it

Might get a photo in later  :tup

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: November 25, 2022, 11:12:06 AM »
Question for lonestar.

The day after Thanksgiving, I always boil the turkey carcass to get broth to store for making soups, sauces, and gravy. I typically boil them until the bones come clean, strain the flotsam, and pick out the good meat pieces. Is there any merit to boiling the bones longer? Perhaps until they become soft and splinter?

I've always wondered that.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #855 on: November 25, 2022, 11:35:10 AM »
Question for lonestar.

The day after Thanksgiving, I always boil the turkey carcass to get broth to store for making soups, sauces, and gravy. I typically boil them until the bones come clean, strain the flotsam, and pick out the good meat pieces. Is there any merit to boiling the bones longer? Perhaps until they become soft and splinter?

I've always wondered that.

Not really, there's only a certain amount of flavor you'll get out of them, after that it's just redundant. Usually a good 2 hours will do the trick. If you want to really kick the flavor up a notch, roast the bones to get a good brown color throughout on them before making the stock. Also, if you don't, definitely add mirepoix (carrots, onion, celery), roasted well if possible, and some herbs like thyme and sage. Doing this, you want to bring it to a boil, then crank it down to a simmer and let it roll till the stock has a rich, brown color. Don't let it boil at full tilt, that'll give you a cloudy stock, when it's lower and slow, you can skim the impurities out during the process, and after straining you'll have a beautiful, clear stock for soups that'll kick serious ass. At work, I debone my turkeys before roasting, make the stock with the carcasses, and make my gravy out of that, it's some god tier stuff man.

Good luck!!

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #856 on: November 28, 2022, 12:41:17 PM »
Alright, I'm digging through my photo albums, so it's time for a photo dump.

Caught, cleaned, and cooked:

For my D&D table:

I absolutely love to cook. I would pursue the culinary arts if I wasn't such a damn picky eater.

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #857 on: May 15, 2023, 01:31:46 PM »
Had this wild banana's foster french toast today

Online faizoff

« Reply #858 on: May 15, 2023, 01:41:23 PM »
I love banana foster pudding, don't think I've had the french toast variety but that looks amazing.

@MetalJunkie, amazing pictures and I swear by Rao's pasta sauce, that thing tastes better than several ones I've tried.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #859 on: May 15, 2023, 01:49:51 PM »
Good looking stuff MJ!!!

Here's a charcuterie and cheese I did for Mom's 80th...

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #860 on: May 15, 2023, 02:01:10 PM »
What a spread  :omg:

Wish I was there

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #861 on: May 15, 2023, 02:21:52 PM »
@MetalJunkie, amazing pictures and I swear by Rao's pasta sauce, that thing tastes better than several ones I've tried.

I missed the original post by MetalJunkie, but I was wondering about the taste. I've been wanting to try it and never have for some reason.

Funny enough, I heard about the restaurant before the sauce, and it was the hard way I found out it is impossible to get a table at Rao's. Maybe I should try again, who knows
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #862 on: May 15, 2023, 02:38:45 PM »
Love the Dunn board  :yarr but also, that looks great

Online faizoff

« Reply #863 on: May 15, 2023, 02:55:29 PM »

I missed the original post by MetalJunkie, but I was wondering about the taste. I've been wanting to try it and never have for some reason.

I get the large ones from Costco and use them extensively for anything pasta related. They somehow taste fresher than the other store ones. Maybe the ingredients are better sourced? In any case I haven't looked back since.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #864 on: June 05, 2023, 10:45:40 AM »
These hotdogs tasted a lot better than they looked.
Added American Cheese, red onions, tomatoes, ketchup, mustard and a little Sriracha sandwich sauce.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #865 on: June 05, 2023, 01:31:57 PM »
If I were to make a suggestion, it would be to pickle the red onions.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #866 on: June 05, 2023, 02:06:17 PM »

BIG fan of the pickled onion. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #867 on: June 05, 2023, 02:13:51 PM »

BIG fan of the pickled onion.

They definitely have their place, not on a dog for me though...I stick to mustard, relish, and raw onion.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #868 on: June 05, 2023, 02:22:33 PM »
Common hot dog down here is mustard, chili, cole slaw, and onion.

But I must admit I also have a weakness for a Chicago-style dog as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #869 on: June 05, 2023, 02:25:48 PM »
In Gothenburg they have something called the "half special" which is a hotdog served with pickles/relish and mashed potato.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #870 on: June 05, 2023, 02:26:58 PM »
In Gothenburg they have something called the "half special" which is a hotdog served with pickles/relish and mashed potato.
Mashed potato as a side?  Or as a hot dog topping?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #871 on: June 05, 2023, 02:30:57 PM »
The latter.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #872 on: June 05, 2023, 02:33:38 PM »
I'd try it.

Did you have it?  What did you think?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: June 05, 2023, 02:39:37 PM »
Sometimes, simplicity is the best. A toasted bun, a hot dog boiled in oil and spicy mustard. Though, I haven't been able to have one in a long time.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #874 on: June 05, 2023, 02:42:53 PM »
I'd try it.

Did you have it?  What did you think?

I mean, sausage and mash is always good, though I think it turns it into a knife and fork affair, which for me is antithetical to the concept of a hotdog as finger food.