Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 79801 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #630 on: June 15, 2021, 09:57:22 PM »
This thread has been a fascinating read today. I appreciate people have different passions, as Chino said (Is "Gun guys might rent time on a gatling gun" really a thing?!). That meal lonestar describes sounds like such a bore to me. I just want to satiate my hunger and get on with my day. The greatest culinary landmark of my lifetime is whoever at Taco Bell decided to put Fritos in a burrito.

His theory is that the palate gets satiated and even overloaded and can't really fully enjoy the wide variety of flavors after a few bites....

That's how I like to eat. Carpet bomb the palate and get out before the enemy knows what hit them.

How do feel about that Amuse-bouche, Chandler? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLTV7Cvnx2c
I'm kind of looking to split the difference between Tim and RJ. I love a good meal, whether it be a plate of enchiladas or highfalutin stuff like RJ is touting. I wouldn't want to just gorge myself, but I'm not sure I'd be totally down with the 12 course meal containing 11 bites, either. I just want a proper meal prepared exceptionally.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #631 on: June 15, 2021, 10:01:17 PM »
Also, Hoffman's Cheddar is terrible. It's Velveeta except with an almost cheese-like flavor. However, it does serve one very important purpose. Like Velveeta, it melts perfectly, so in a casserole it's actually pretty effective. I'd just as soon use real, sharp cheddar, but if the cheese flavor isn't all that important it's hard to get a smoother sauce than what Hoffman's will get you.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #632 on: June 15, 2021, 10:15:20 PM »
This thread has been a fascinating read today. I appreciate people have different passions, as Chino said (Is "Gun guys might rent time on a gatling gun" really a thing?!). That meal lonestar describes sounds like such a bore to me. I just want to satiate my hunger and get on with my day. The greatest culinary landmark of my lifetime is whoever at Taco Bell decided to put Fritos in a burrito.

His theory is that the palate gets satiated and even overloaded and can't really fully enjoy the wide variety of flavors after a few bites....

That's how I like to eat. Carpet bomb the palate and get out before the enemy knows what hit them.

How do feel about that Amuse-bouche, Chandler? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLTV7Cvnx2c
I'm kind of looking to split the difference between Tim and RJ. I love a good meal, whether it be a plate of enchiladas or highfalutin stuff like RJ is touting. I wouldn't want to just gorge myself, but I'm not sure I'd be totally down with the 12 course meal containing 11 bites, either. I just want a proper meal prepared exceptionally.

Quality ingredients prepared with precision should be the hallmark of any outstanding meal, no matter the chef's conceptual translation of said cuisine. An old chef of mine told me that respect for the ingredient should always come first

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #633 on: June 16, 2021, 06:08:22 AM »
@stads...i always love that, though it's usually regulars so they're more open to experiment. My special thrill is getting forward notice on a special diet (vegan, gf, etc and being able to plan something exquisite, usually they get shut out to very limited options. Being able to really wow them is always a good feather in my cap.

What the hell is the girlfriend diet?

I am being a bit cheeky. Honestly I am a bit jealous, as I really have no passions like you do with food, or Chino has for his RC gear (I think it is Chino), or cramx3 has for concerts, or Stadler has for comma usage.

legit lol at that.

@ RJ... thanks for the Sunday shopping list :tup.  Meatloaf is on the menu for Monday now.  I've got 1/2 loaf of cheddar/sourdough that I know exactly how to use now.  :drool:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #634 on: June 16, 2021, 06:44:45 AM »
Also, Hoffman's Cheddar is terrible. It's Velveeta except with an almost cheese-like flavor. However, it does serve one very important purpose. Like Velveeta, it melts perfectly, so in a casserole it's actually pretty effective. I'd just as soon use real, sharp cheddar, but if the cheese flavor isn't all that important it's hard to get a smoother sauce than what Hoffman's will get you.

Hoffman is a lazy way, and cheaper way of using cheese.  Of course if I had company I'd use a block of Irish cheddar.  What I explained was the lazy way to make it during the weekday.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #635 on: June 16, 2021, 06:51:57 AM »
@stads...i always love that, though it's usually regulars so they're more open to experiment. My special thrill is getting forward notice on a special diet (vegan, gf, etc and being able to plan something exquisite, usually they get shut out to very limited options. Being able to really wow them is always a good feather in my cap.

What the hell is the girlfriend diet?

Gluten free

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: June 16, 2021, 06:57:56 AM »
Girlfriend Diet.  LOL 

Tim, you're killing me. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #637 on: June 16, 2021, 07:03:03 AM »
Meatloaf is like a hamburger cake, which on the surface doesn't sound that bad, but with fillers and extenders it just makes it gross.

Surprising, I'm sure, no one, I love meatloaf.   It's not grand cuisine, but what's better than a hamburger cake???

See, that's where I'm at; I can appreciate good food (two of the top three meals I've ever had were at Emeril's Delmonico's and K-Paul's, both in New Orleans) but I also enjoy going to Bob's Clam Hut up in Kittery and eating fried stuffs out of a paper box.  I think it depends if you just look at food as "food" or also as a potential part of a larger sensory experience.
Scallops and clams two ways for the win. Truth be told, it's a glorified Long John Silvers with exorbitant prices, and their slaw was terrible, but still a damn fine meal.  :tup

No, that's all true.  But it's a fun trip, you're in a beautiful part of our part of the world (except for the explosion of outlets over the last decade) and it's nice to sit outside on the picnic tables and relax a bit. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: June 16, 2021, 07:06:11 AM »
Ok Baby.  (You should get the reference)

Beat me to the punch!!!!

I want to try that mixture and sourdough and milk thing in the meatloaf.  That sounds good.  Same with the layers.  I always had it with bacon AND ketchup on top (I love her dearly, but Mom was not exactly Julia Child; I hated pork chops for years because she cooked them into shoe leather every damn time.). 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: June 16, 2021, 07:08:21 AM »
:)

I am being a bit cheeky. Honestly I am a bit jealous, as I really have no passions like you do with food, or Chino has for his RC gear (I think it is Chino), or cramx3 has for concerts, or Stadler has for comma usage.

:lol :clap:

I'm just happy to be in there somewhere.  ;) :) :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: June 16, 2021, 07:10:53 AM »

Quality ingredients prepared with precision should be the hallmark of any outstanding meal, no matter the chef's conceptual translation of said cuisine. An old chef of mine told me that respect for the ingredient should always come first
I learned that in Philly.  I'm a shitty cook, but everything got noticeably better when I could go to the Italian market on 9th Street and get everything fresh.  In the hands of someone (like RJ) that knows what they're doing, it's all the difference in the world. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #641 on: June 16, 2021, 08:06:54 AM »
Meatloaf is like a hamburger cake, which on the surface doesn't sound that bad, but with fillers and extenders it just makes it gross.

Surprising, I'm sure, no one, I love meatloaf.   It's not grand cuisine, but what's better than a hamburger cake???

See, that's where I'm at; I can appreciate good food (two of the top three meals I've ever had were at Emeril's Delmonico's and K-Paul's, both in New Orleans) but I also enjoy going to Bob's Clam Hut up in Kittery and eating fried stuffs out of a paper box.  I think it depends if you just look at food as "food" or also as a potential part of a larger sensory experience.
Scallops and clams two ways for the win. Truth be told, it's a glorified Long John Silvers with exorbitant prices, and their slaw was terrible, but still a damn fine meal.  :tup

No, that's all true.  But it's a fun trip, you're in a beautiful part of our part of the world (except for the explosion of outlets over the last decade) and it's nice to sit outside on the picnic tables and relax a bit.
The one I hit was in Portland, now gone, and it was dark and stormy. Not particularly scenic. Still, like I said, a damn fine meal.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: June 16, 2021, 08:20:31 AM »
@ RJ... thanks for the Sunday shopping list :tup.  Meatloaf is on the menu for Monday now.  I've got 1/2 loaf of cheddar/sourdough that I know exactly how to use now.  :drool:

Yup, thanks RJ for the recipe.  I plan on trying that out.  Maybe this weekend. 

I dont currently have sourdough, but the local Lidl (anyone else shop there? it only just opened a year ago by me and I'm obsessed with it) has a small bakery section that is really good and they make a sourdough that I can pick up and I've been meaning to try.  I've been obsessed with their fresh baked croissants lately.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #643 on: June 21, 2021, 06:04:20 AM »
Some of you already saw this on social media, but I made out like a bandit at my Sunday job yesterday (one of the primary reasons I'm still working there).

We brought in a ton of American wagyu last fall. I bought 5 steaks (3 ribeyes and two strips), and they were amazing, but at $55 a pound, it wasn't selling like they hoped. They flash froze the rest and it's been in the industrial freezer ever since. I've been hounding the meat department manager for months, telling him I'd buy a bunch of it if he wanted to cut the price a bit, but he never budged.

I went into work yesterday and planned on buying some of the choice grade NY strips we had on sale for $11.99. I went into the meat department and asked the manager if he could cut a few extra thick for me and set them aside. His first words were "You still interested in that wagyu?". I said "I'm listening". He proceeds to offer me the wagyu at the $11.99 sale price under the condition I bought everything he had in the freezer. We weighed it up and it came to 17.44lbs. Easiest decision of my life! I got 8 ribeyes and 7.5 NY strips. It's going to be a good summer  :hat

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #644 on: June 21, 2021, 06:59:30 AM »
holy shit, that's epic
Photobucket sucks.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #645 on: June 21, 2021, 07:45:38 AM »
I think I just got a little stiff.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: June 21, 2021, 08:09:28 AM »
Some of you already saw this on social media, but I made out like a bandit at my Sunday job yesterday (one of the primary reasons I'm still working there).

We brought in a ton of American wagyu last fall. I bought 5 steaks (3 ribeyes and two strips), and they were amazing, but at $55 a pound, it wasn't selling like they hoped. They flash froze the rest and it's been in the industrial freezer ever since. I've been hounding the meat department manager for months, telling him I'd buy a bunch of it if he wanted to cut the price a bit, but he never budged.

I went into work yesterday and planned on buying some of the choice grade NY strips we had on sale for $11.99. I went into the meat department and asked the manager if he could cut a few extra thick for me and set them aside. His first words were "You still interested in that wagyu?". I said "I'm listening". He proceeds to offer me the wagyu at the $11.99 sale price under the condition I bought everything he had in the freezer. We weighed it up and it came to 17.44lbs. Easiest decision of my life! I got 8 ribeyes and 7.5 NY strips. It's going to be a good summer  :hat

That's a STEAL.  WOW.  (I could be wrong, but isn't the $11.99 for choice NY strip a pretty good price in and of itself?)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #647 on: June 21, 2021, 09:07:19 AM »
Do you know what farm it's from? It seems mire marbled than snake river, and the price is a good 20$ higher. At 12/lb,i would've nabbed it all too.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #648 on: June 21, 2021, 10:28:56 AM »
Do you know what farm it's from? It seems mire marbled than snake river, and the price is a good 20$ higher. At 12/lb,i would've nabbed it all too.

I don't know where it's from :/ Stupid of me not to ask  :lol

@Stads: $12 is about the max I'd be willing to spend on choice. That's what Costco charges. If I need steak in bulk for a party or something, that's usually my go to.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 10:37:22 AM by Chino »

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #649 on: June 25, 2021, 12:13:08 PM »
I got a vacuum sealer in the mail yesterday and decided to test it out for lunch  ;D

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: July 20, 2021, 11:35:23 AM »
Based on the green onion talk... here's some korean fried chicken wings I got over the weekend... sooo good! honestly maybe the best wings I've ever eaten

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: July 20, 2021, 12:05:04 PM »
Those look amazing Cram, man I'd love to have some wings for dinner.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #652 on: August 02, 2021, 07:35:33 PM »
Seriously wish I could share this one with you all...

Slow braised lamb ragu over papperdelle... I took a lamb shoulder, boned it out and made a quick stock with the bones (roasted and simmered in beef stock for an hour with aromatics). Did a hard sear on the diced shoulder meat with s&p, added mirepoix and garlic and browned it all(meaning I went far past sweating it, I got a good carmelization on the meat and all the veggies, pulling out max flavor). Added the stock, brought it to a boil and dropped the temp and reduced it till the jus was pretty much gone. From here I added tomato product, and let that cook for about four hours. Served it with papperdelle and a dry aged gouda.

Fuck I'm so full and so happy right now...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #653 on: August 02, 2021, 07:41:44 PM »
Thank you for not sprinkling scallions all over it.  :biggrin: That dish doesn't need it.

It looks and sounds good. I'd give that a shot, though papadelle is kryptonite for my blood sugars.

WTF is mirepoix?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #654 on: August 02, 2021, 07:53:31 PM »
Thank you for not sprinkling scallions all over it.  :biggrin: That dish doesn't need it.

It looks and sounds good. I'd give that a shot, though papadelle is kryptonite for my blood sugars.

WTF is mirepoix?

Mirepoix is a fancy chef term for diced onions, celery, and carrots. It's the backbone of a great deal of cooking, and we sound a lot cooler saying "I need two quarts if Mirepoix" than "I need two quarts of diced onions, celery, and carrots'

I thought the nice final touch was doing the gouda over a very fine microplane instead of a standard grater, made it melt on contact, which combined with the heavy nutty tones of the cheese really set the dish off perfectly. Very proud of my work on this one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #655 on: August 02, 2021, 07:59:54 PM »
I actually don't like gouda, but at least I respect it.

Scallions deserve no such dignity.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #656 on: August 02, 2021, 08:17:33 PM »
I actually don't like gouda, but at least I respect it.

Scallions deserve no such dignity.

This is actually a dry aged gouda, which is a completely different monster. It's a high end gouda that is then aged like a parmesean till hard, which cranks up the tanginess of it and brings out some killer nutty tones. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes good parmeseans.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #657 on: August 02, 2021, 09:32:30 PM »

Slow braised lamb ragu over papperdelle... I took a lamb shoulder, boned it out and made a quick stock with the bones (roasted and simmered in beef stock for an hour with aromatics). Did a hard sear on the diced shoulder meat with s&p, added mirepoix and garlic and browned it all(meaning I went far past sweating it, I got a good carmelization on the meat and all the veggies, pulling out max flavor). Added the stock, brought it to a boil and dropped the temp and reduced it till the jus was pretty much gone. From here I added tomato product, and let that cook for about four hours. Served it with papperdelle and a dry aged gouda.

A lot of what you post on here is a little to highfalutin for my taste. That's seriously badass, though. Wish I had the patience to do such things.  :tup
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: August 03, 2021, 06:19:33 AM »

WOW.  That is right up my alley.  That looks GOOD.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: August 09, 2021, 11:17:05 AM »
Salmon pizza today in Boothbay,  Maine. It was dynamite.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: August 09, 2021, 11:54:03 AM »
Not entirely sure how I feel about salmon on pizza, it doesn't look bad though.  Since you say it was good, I'd give it a try.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #661 on: August 09, 2021, 12:04:28 PM »
That looks like a well made, but wholly improper pizza. I bet they'd make a great, proper pizza, with red sauce and red meat.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 12:09:45 PM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #662 on: August 09, 2021, 12:07:02 PM »
Salmon pizza today in Boothbay,  Maine. It was dynamite.

Salmon and onions?

That looks fucking gross! :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: August 09, 2021, 12:08:52 PM »
 :lol knew that was coming

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #664 on: August 09, 2021, 12:15:29 PM »
I feel like Salmon and Onion would be fine on a sushi roll.  I'm quite concerned about the idea of seafood on pizza and I don't think see any combinations that may convince me that it's a good idea.