Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 80379 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #665 on: August 09, 2021, 12:32:46 PM »
I feel like Salmon and Onion would be fine on a sushi roll.  I'm quite concerned about the idea of seafood on pizza and I don't think see any combinations that may convince me that it's a good idea.

I basically feel this was as well, but I've never tried it so if someone I trust says it's good, I'd be willing to try it out.

In Connecticut, some of the most famous pizza places in the US, their known pizza is a white clam pie. I've never had it the couple times I've gone and I've never spoke to someone I'm familiar with who has had it to give me a review, but if it's so popular I got to imagine it's not bad even though my initial thoughts are "nah"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #666 on: August 09, 2021, 12:56:29 PM »
That looks like a well made, but wholly improper pizza. I bet they'd make a great, proper pizza, with red sauce and red meat.

They definitely did but had to try the unique pie.

Tim you fool! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #667 on: August 09, 2021, 07:42:35 PM »
Curious... Was it a white or red sauce on the pizza? Traditionally cheese and fish is a big no no, though the rule gets bent in places and parts. I don't like salmon much, especially cheaper salmon, so if probably pass on principle.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: August 09, 2021, 07:58:13 PM »
Capers and red onion with mascarpone cheese and Norwegian smoked salmon.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #669 on: August 09, 2021, 08:05:56 PM »
Ok.. I can see that working... Little fresh dill and lemon to set it off.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: August 09, 2021, 08:10:36 PM »
It was light and refreshing. We had to try it. Definitely would have it again.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #671 on: August 27, 2021, 12:00:41 PM »
I didn't want to say this in the COVID thread since I didn't want to derail the conversation, any moreso than it already has, but I was looking at restaurants nearby to see if they had Mofongo and I found a Cuban place in Anaheim.  No Mofongo, but they do have a Lechon sandwich and you can get plantain chips.  I may want to try that in a few days and see how that goes.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #672 on: August 27, 2021, 09:02:54 PM »
I didn't want to say this in the COVID thread since I didn't want to derail the conversation, any moreso than it already has, but I was looking at restaurants nearby to see if they had Mofongo and I found a Cuban place in Anaheim.  No Mofongo, but they do have a Lechon sandwich and you can get plantain chips.  I may want to try that in a few days and see how that goes.
It's hard to beat a good Cuban, but if you want Cuban food, seek the fried cow.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: August 28, 2021, 04:08:39 AM »
+ Food keeps me alive :)

- Food keeps me alive  :-[

Anyone else like me literally only eats just to stop feelign hungry / dizzy and not because they really fancy a nice meal or something ? I work nights so I get home at nearly midnight

so obvs have no time to cook dinner. When I get home I usually have a snack and that's it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: August 28, 2021, 06:04:47 AM »
I have a buddy of mine who is like that, he is a food = fuel person and doesn't really take much pleasure from food.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: August 28, 2021, 06:19:28 AM »
Same. Also If I have to DECIDE RIGHT NOW what to eat then i'd rather have nothing cause I find it really hard to make snap decisions like that.

Say if I went into a shop for something I wanted and they didn't have it. I wouldn't be able to choose an alternative. I'd rather go without.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: August 28, 2021, 10:46:14 AM »
I love to eat, it's why I'm fat

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: August 28, 2021, 11:53:21 AM »
I have no idea what Mofongo is. Wasn't he an NFL player who ended up in WCW?

I have a buddy of mine who is like that, he is a food = fuel person and doesn't really take much pleasure from food.

I lean this way. I enjoy food but not nearly as much as others do. I am also as happy eating a Frito Burrito from Taco Bell as I would be at a top-rated restaurant.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #678 on: August 28, 2021, 11:55:32 AM »
I have no idea what Mofongo is. Wasn't he an NFL player who ended up in WCW?

You are thinking about Mongo McMichael and yes, he was in WCW and was a member of the Four Horsemen.

This is what Mofongo is though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mofongo

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #679 on: September 12, 2021, 05:35:18 PM »
I'm contemplating getting a subscription to HelloFresh as I'm getting burned out on eating takeout on a regular basis.  Then again, I'm looking at the ingredients of some of these recipes and I could stock up and buy those ingredients at my local store and the cost would roughly be the same.  Either way, I really want to get my foot out the door in wanting to cook for myself.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #680 on: September 13, 2021, 06:54:11 AM »
I'm contemplating getting a subscription to HelloFresh as I'm getting burned out on eating takeout on a regular basis.  Then again, I'm looking at the ingredients of some of these recipes and I could stock up and buy those ingredients at my local store and the cost would roughly be the same.  Either way, I really want to get my foot out the door in wanting to cook for myself.

The initial investment to stock your pantry will be heady, but in the long run you'll save massive amounts of money.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #681 on: September 13, 2021, 07:14:48 AM »

When my ex was doing Blue Apron, it was more like 40% less expensive doing it yourself from the store.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: September 14, 2021, 08:24:29 AM »
How is that even possible for it to be cheaper?

Having said that, I shop at Lidl these days and that place is so cheap.  I spent like $20-30 and I have food for the week.  (albeit I buy most of my chicken in bulk from costco so I only buy small amounts of meat from lidl on a weekly basis).

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #683 on: September 14, 2021, 08:26:06 AM »
My bad if my verbiage was garbage. I was trying to say that shopping in store was significantly cheaper than Blue Apron.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #684 on: September 14, 2021, 08:27:12 AM »
Ah gotcha, I was getting ready to type paragraphs on that one lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #685 on: September 14, 2021, 11:48:51 AM »
Yeah, I think I initially read it wrong, thinking, "Wait, Blue Apron/HelloFresh is much cheaper than buying the ingredients at the store?  Doesn't sound right based on what I read elsewhere."

Anywho, I will stick with buying ingredients at the store and start my journey from there.  Hope it turns out well and hope it's doesn't end up like a TV cliche/trope where everything I try to cook turned out to be burnt no matter what.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #686 on: September 14, 2021, 12:02:14 PM »
Yeah, I think I initially read it wrong, thinking, "Wait, Blue Apron/HelloFresh is much cheaper than buying the ingredients at the store?  Doesn't sound right based on what I read elsewhere."

Anywho, I will stick with buying ingredients at the store and start my journey from there.  Hope it turns out well and hope it's doesn't end up like a TV cliche/trope where everything I try to cook turned out to be burnt no matter what.

My advice, slowly start building your non-parishable side of your pantry. Your spices, your oils, your vinegars, what not. Search around and see what you think you'll need and buy one a week. Play with them, see how they fit into how you want to cook and eat. Search, ask questions, I'm always on line and more than willing to help out. And most importantly, pay attention to the techniques behind the recipes, the science of why the food behaves the way it does when you prepare it certain ways, and how you can apply that across the board, this more than anything else is key to learning how to cook. A year or two of this, and you may find yourself a more than competent cook with a well stocked kitchen and good mastery of basic techniques.

Just did a quick search, this is a pretty good list...some silly stuff on there like edemame (unless you're vegan of course), but most of it I'd consider essential.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/stock-kitchen-pantry-staples/
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 12:07:48 PM by lonestar »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: September 22, 2021, 02:57:45 PM »
Bringing back that mofongos talk cause I had some for lunch today!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #688 on: September 22, 2021, 03:41:29 PM »

Just did a quick search, this is a pretty good list...some silly stuff on there like edemame (unless you're vegan of course), but most of it I'd consider essential.

I got a chuckle out of pumpkin puree. Does it have any use whatsoever outside of the last two weeks in November?

A robust selection of vinegars and oils is a godsend.

A lady I work with and her husband are Stouffer's/takeout kind of people. A couple of years ago she decided that she was going to cook a pot roast; just like mom used to make, I imagine. Set her back a hundred bucks +. I asked her how the hell she blew a full bill on a pot roast. She had to purchase every single item on the list, and having no experience buying actual groceries, most likely overpaid and bought too much of everything.  Probably had to throw in a vegetable peeler and potato ricer, too.   :lol

Being well equipped, I'm out $20 for that meal, and I'm making three different dishes through the week with the leftover roast.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #689 on: September 22, 2021, 05:08:05 PM »

I got a chuckle out of pumpkin puree. Does it have any use whatsoever outside of the last two weeks in November?

A robust selection of vinegars and oils is a godsend.

A lady I work with and her husband are Stouffer's/takeout kind of people. A couple of years ago she decided that she was going to cook a pot roast; just like mom used to make, I imagine. Set her back a hundred bucks +. I asked her how the hell she blew a full bill on a pot roast. She had to purchase every single item on the list, and having no experience buying actual groceries, most likely overpaid and bought too much of everything.  Probably had to throw in a vegetable peeler and potato ricer, too.   :lol

Being well equipped, I'm out $20 for that meal, and I'm making three different dishes through the week with the leftover roast.

Same here...I'd need the roast and the veggies, and I usually have potatoes and onions on hand at most times.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #690 on: September 29, 2021, 09:00:39 PM »
Well, after a few weeks of mulling things over, I finally cooked a dish for myself (my mother helped me with a lot of certain prepping stuff).  Cooked me some chicken penne pasta with some spinach and some sort of sun-dried tomato sauce.  Not good-looking, but it tastes pretty all right.  Costed me like $18.00 to make with lots of leftovers.  I'm pleased.

Still got some leftover chicken.  I might as well try to make some handmade crunchwrap Supremes. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #691 on: October 06, 2021, 06:59:51 AM »
Very excited to be dining at the Michelin starred The Kitchen in Sacramento tonight. It's a presentation kitchen, where the kitchen is center stage to the dining room and chef and team put on a show, but with food way, way above your normal fare. Haven't been to a high end place since before covid, and only my second Michelin experience.

Details tonight after dinner.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #692 on: October 06, 2021, 09:01:49 AM »

Well, Mofongo is Puerto Rican, not Cuban, so I think that's where you went wrong.  :lol

My advice, slowly start building your non-parishable side of your pantry. Your spices, your oils, your vinegars, what not. Search around and see what you think you'll need and buy one a week. Play with them, see how they fit into how you want to cook and eat. Search, ask questions, I'm always on line and more than willing to help out. And most importantly, pay attention to the techniques behind the recipes, the science of why the food behaves the way it does when you prepare it certain ways, and how you can apply that across the board, this more than anything else is key to learning how to cook. A year or two of this, and you may find yourself a more than competent cook with a well stocked kitchen and good mastery of basic techniques.

Protip:  For a young couple getting married, giving a basket of this kind of stuff (assuming they are the types to cook and do not already have a lot of it) can be a REALLY cool, VERY appreciated wedding gift rather than just going off the registry.  It's the kind of thing people really need and don't think to ask for.   And as you mentioned, it can be tough to initially get all of that stuff getting started because of the cost when you put it all together.  It can be a big hit, and you know it's a hit when they make a point of coming up to you months later when most of the gifts are already forgotten to tell you how much they appreciate it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 10:25:02 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #693 on: October 06, 2021, 09:37:35 AM »
That's a brilliant idea...wish I'd thought about it when my cousin got married a bit back. We got him a top end knife set, but a basket of staples from three chefs would've gone a long way as well.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: October 06, 2021, 09:39:56 AM »
Speaking of gifts, besides the Iron Maiden tshirt and coasters, my gf bought me a new set of pans.  Kind of surprised me with that gift, but it was actually a really good idea.  She clearly noted my pans had been going to shit (I'm pretty sure I even mentioned this openly as well) so it was a good idea and the new pans are so far very solid.  I can't say I ever thought I'd be happy with a gift of pans, but I am!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #695 on: October 06, 2021, 09:42:18 AM »
Very excited to be dining at the Michelin starred The Kitchen in Sacramento tonight. It's a presentation kitchen, where the kitchen is center stage to the dining room and chef and team put on a show, but with food way, way above your normal fare. Haven't been to a high end place since before covid, and only my second Michelin experience.

Be sure and eat a snack before you go.  You might get hungry. :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #696 on: October 06, 2021, 09:46:52 AM »
Speaking of gifts, besides the Iron Maiden tshirt and coasters, my gf bought me a new set of pans.  Kind of surprised me with that gift, but it was actually a really good idea.  She clearly noted my pans had been going to shit (I'm pretty sure I even mentioned this openly as well) so it was a good idea and the new pans are so far very solid.  I can't say I ever thought I'd be happy with a gift of pans, but I am!

Goddamn Cram! You hit the jackpot. Marry her now!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: October 06, 2021, 09:53:50 AM »

Goddamn Cram! You hit the jackpot. Marry her now!!!

:lol she met my parents last weekend and they approve as well

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #698 on: October 06, 2021, 11:05:34 AM »

Be sure and eat a snack before you go.  You might get hungry. :lol

I'll bring something to sneak in between the eight courses. :lol

A couple pics from google to get me stoked...

So maybe I'm just talking to myself on this one, but the appreciation for the precision plating here harkens to every step of the process, beginning with procurement of the ingredients. Every phase of the production of these dishes shows the same, exact attention to detail and respect for the high end ingredient as the plating itself. This is what sets restaurants like this so far above your normal fare.

:caffeine: :RJ:

And out before Tim comes in and spoils the mood.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #699 on: October 06, 2021, 11:10:32 AM »
 :lol

I was scrolling looking at the pics and as soon as I thought, WTF is the bottom one, I read the last line. :lol

Is the second one a scallop? Are those some kind of truffles next to it?

Oh, and WTF is the bottom one?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol