Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 79508 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #700 on: October 06, 2021, 11:17:23 AM »
Second one is a scallop on what looks like some sort of risotto and a puree?

Third looks like ice cream on a cookie/cake/something and some edible flowers or something?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #701 on: October 06, 2021, 11:30:29 AM »
Someone say edible flower?  :biggrin:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #702 on: October 06, 2021, 11:51:48 AM »
Yes, the second one is a scallop, and that's a caramelized/poached fig next to it.

The bottom one, I couldn't tell you for certain. The white thing is from a silicon mold, probably a custard of some sorts, but I'm guessing a savory one since there's candied beets, the dark red crisps are tuille cookies and  red croutons on the plate as well. Whatever it is, it's probably delicious and looks cool af.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #703 on: October 06, 2021, 11:54:56 AM »
Here's a cool shot... so the head chef actually presents the meals and the processes behind them during the dinner. It's part theater as much as it is dining. The look on that female chef's face, that's someone totally absorbed in their craft. Gotta love it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #704 on: October 06, 2021, 12:18:26 PM »

Offline Adami

« Reply #705 on: October 06, 2021, 12:21:59 PM »
The white thing doesn't like a silicon mold, it looks a very well and fancy scooped ice cream.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #706 on: October 06, 2021, 12:55:44 PM »
^^ My first thought is it was one of those extremely experimentally frozen looking kind of ice cream.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #707 on: October 06, 2021, 01:27:28 PM »
The white thing doesn't like a silicon mold, it looks a very well and fancy scooped ice cream.

I'd agree if it wasn't for absolutely zero melt, and for the accompaniments,especially the candied beets and croutons.

Offline Adami

« Reply #708 on: October 06, 2021, 01:35:26 PM »

I'd agree if it wasn't for absolutely zero melt, and for the accompaniments, especially the candied beets and croutons.

YOU WANNA TAKE THIS TO THE STREETS?!?!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #709 on: October 06, 2021, 01:38:48 PM »
Speaking of gifts, besides the Iron Maiden tshirt and coasters, my gf bought me a new set of pans.  Kind of surprised me with that gift, but it was actually a really good idea.  She clearly noted my pans had been going to shit (I'm pretty sure I even mentioned this openly as well) so it was a good idea and the new pans are so far very solid.  I can't say I ever thought I'd be happy with a gift of pans, but I am!

Goddamn Cram! You hit the jackpot. Marry her now!!!

:lol she met my parents last weekend and they approve as well

« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 05:21:21 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #710 on: October 07, 2021, 08:41:47 AM »
Ok, here we go course by course...

Corn pot de creme, herb creme fraiche, caviar.. (a pot de creme is a custard, creme fraiche is spoiled sour cream)

Filo wrapped Buffalo Mozzarella, basil buerre blanc, castelveltrano olives, summer squash... (filo is the pastry, a buerre blanc is a butter sauce, castelveltrano is a tart green olive)

Cinderella pumpkin angliotti, truffle cream, burgandy truffles... (angliotti is a ravioli type pasta, burgandy truffles are like $800/lb)

Seared sea scallop, wild rice congee, lobster mushrooms, brown butter... (congee is a rice porridge, lobster is a firm, peppery type of mushroom)

Sunfed Ranch Short rib, sugo, pommes fondant, pickled chantrelles... (sugo is a tomato based sauce that the short rib is braised in, pommes fondant are a rich buttery mashed potatoes, silky smooth, chantrelles are a mushroom)

Almond and sesame namelaka, genmaicha poached pears, almond crisp... (namelaka is a Japanese type of exceptionally rich and thick pastry cream, genmaicha is a type of green tea)

Intermezzos included a cucumber/avocado shot, a fruit de mer platter with cod ceviche, shrimp 'cocktail', and sweetwater oysters, a cheese platter, and a mignardise of chocolate truffles and pate de fruit. (fruit de mer is literally fruit of the sea, mignardise is a selection of single bite desserts)

Craziest part, we were allowed to go wherever we wanted. Behind the line, into the wine celler, into the walkin, the place was wide open to the customers. An overall great experience with some truly fantastic food. I know some of you frown on the higher end of cuisine, but this shit is downright a religious experience when done right.

Chef Kelly McCown plating the short rib...

« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 08:51:22 AM by lonestar »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #711 on: October 07, 2021, 08:44:01 AM »
I know some of you frown on the higher end of cuisine

I only know about half of the words you said  :lol Looks like a heck of a time though and an awesome demonstration of the craft.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #712 on: October 07, 2021, 08:45:43 AM »

I only know about half of the words you said  :lol Looks like a heck of a time though and an awesome demonstration of the craft.

Maybe I should edit it with brief descriptors of each term....brb...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #713 on: October 07, 2021, 08:50:14 AM »
Awesome!  I don't know what a lot of those things are, but I don't think I would care.  But I would be the guy that, when each course is served, waits awkwardly to see how others approach it before digging in and taking my first bite myself.  :lol 

Despite it being in my backyard, I have never been.  What are they charging nowadays? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #714 on: October 07, 2021, 08:53:31 AM »
The vegetarian ones look interesting for sure.

A part of me would really love to experience very fine dining, but I also realize that as a vegetarian that doesn't LOVE vegetables, my options are insanely limited.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #715 on: October 07, 2021, 08:56:58 AM »
Awesome!  I don't know what a lot of those things are, but I don't think I would care.  But I would be the guy that, when each course is served, waits awkwardly to see how others approach it before digging in and taking my first bite myself.  :lol 

Despite it being in my backyard, I have never been.  What are they charging nowadays?

I just edited my post with descriptors. I was thinking, it's probably 5 minutes from you, right at Howe and Hurley by Buco de Beppo. Dinner was $155 plus 22% gratuity. You would dig it man, a very interactive night and an intimate look into the whole process. You get to watch the brigade plate each course up close, and can wander everywhere to see how the sausage is made so to speak, and even if a lot of the cuisine is unfamiliar to you, I know you like food enough that you'd thoroughly enjoy it. Definitely leave the kids at home though lol.

Like any restaurant of this caliber, reservations are usually months in advance and you get what you get. One girl actually got the reservation on her bday, and chef McCown told her to go buy a lottery ticket  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #716 on: October 07, 2021, 09:00:45 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking as an anniversary thing for my wife and I.  I didn't know about the being able to wander around part.  If I ever do it, I'll probably ping you and ask you what I should look at/ask questions about and why, because I otherwise wouldn't have a clue. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #717 on: October 07, 2021, 09:05:15 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking as an anniversary thing for my wife and I.  I didn't know about the being able to wander around part.  If I ever do it, I'll probably ping you and ask you what I should look at/ask questions about and why, because I otherwise wouldn't have a clue.

All the chefs are very welcoming, and answer all questions thoroughly. Chef McCown even gave my brothers and I detailed recipes on a number of things. They're so open and inviting.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: October 07, 2021, 09:25:03 AM »

I wouldn't say I "frown" at all at this.  I think I just wouldn't be able to appreciate it. And therefore, for my tastes, I don't think I'd want to spend so much on a meal.  However, for the price you listed, I don't think that's bad at all for such a cool experience.  It's equivalent to me dishing out good money for a special concert. 

I do have a question though about the burgundy truffles.  Since you mention how expensive they are, and I am assuming it's the "shavings" (what it looks like) along the top and sides of the plate.  Do you eat them off the side of the plate?  Like I'm pretty sure it's for a more art purpose to spread them out like that, but for something so expensive, I feel like I'd want to make sure I eat them all so I'd end up using my fork and pushing it all to the middle.  Is that normal?  Am I just misunderstanding this?

Otherwise, everything does look pretty tasty and obviously plated very nicely so it looks great too although I'm not entirely sure I'd enjoy the top one with the creme.  That's the only one that looks questionable to me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #719 on: October 07, 2021, 09:32:54 AM »
^I was wondering the same thing about the truffles.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #720 on: October 07, 2021, 09:37:19 AM »
I personally scraped the truffle shavings off the rim into the angliotti and cream. The trick is, the plates are hot when they're dishing, so by shaving them onto the rim, it helps the aromatics bloom and permeate the entire room. You could see everyone perking up as that intense wave of truffle aroma hit them.

Flavorwise, truffles are god tier stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #721 on: October 07, 2021, 09:41:46 AM »
Ah, that makes sense.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: October 07, 2021, 09:59:12 AM »
Ah so there is more of a purpose to that than just for the looks, that's cool. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #723 on: October 18, 2021, 09:48:36 AM »
Posting this here because I'll be cooking these sous vide rather than BBQ.

The butcher came up to me at work yesterday and showed me these guys. Some of the best shorts I've seen all year! I'm going to sear them over lump on the weber during my lunch break, let them cool, vacuum pack and then get them in the bath around 4:00 for a 24 hour cook.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #724 on: October 18, 2021, 10:37:22 AM »
So pretty....

Curious how they turn out. I'm very old fashioned when it comes to shorts, hard season and sear to get that primo maillard reaction, then a slow braise in stock for hours. Let me know how the browning is comparatively please

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #725 on: October 18, 2021, 03:10:16 PM »
So pretty....

Curious how they turn out. I'm very old fashioned when it comes to shorts, hard season and sear to get that primo maillard reaction, then a slow braise in stock for hours. Let me know how the browning is comparatively please
Seared then braised in tomtaillos and cilantro with some taters FTW.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #726 on: October 18, 2021, 03:41:18 PM »
So pretty....

Go on....

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #727 on: October 20, 2021, 01:59:22 PM »
Saw these in the store today. Of course I'm a pig and everything, but this might be too much even for me, lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #728 on: October 20, 2021, 02:04:07 PM »
Yeah, that's nice and all, but they should go with the other way around and make the cookie part bigger and the cream part slightly smaller.  All that cream.  There's a limit to how much one should enjoy it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #729 on: October 20, 2021, 02:09:10 PM »
So pretty....

Go on....
Uh, where? That's about it.  :lol 

Hadn't done it in a while, but my recollection is that you roast tomatillos, an onion, and a poblano or three. Puree the tomatillos, poblano, and a good fistful of cilantro. Combine that with some stock and braise the short ribs with the onion and some cubed potatoes. I know it was an adaptation of a Rick Bayless thing, which I was just too lazy to do in full. Though I think he did it with a pork loin.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #730 on: October 20, 2021, 03:09:36 PM »
So pretty....

Go on....
Uh, where? That's about it.  :lol 

Hadn't done it in a while, but my recollection is that you roast tomatillos, an onion, and a poblano or three. Puree the tomatillos, poblano, and a good fistful of cilantro. Combine that with some stock and braise the short ribs with the onion and some cubed potatoes. I know it was an adaptation of a Rick Bayless thing, which I was just too lazy to do in full. Though I think he did it with a pork loin.

That'd make some dope tacos.

We served duck breast today, and one of the latino clients was a bit weary of it, said the only duck he ever had was the duck birria his abuela used to make. Now I need to make it. I HAVE to make it.

Setting this recipe aside for my own reference, it's pretty much where I want to go with it, probably use legs instead though.

https://www.splitreed.com/all-stories/slow-cooker-goose-birria-tacos

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #731 on: October 20, 2021, 06:48:07 PM »
Setting this recipe aside for my own reference, it's pretty much where I want to go with it, probably use legs instead though.

Wouldn't you want to roast those guajillos first? Also, it doesn't seem like you'd get any flavor other than La Costena chipotles in adobo using two cans of the stuff. Canned chipotles absolutely have their place, but a little goes a long way.

But hey, what do I know. Your the professional and I reckon you make it all work.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #732 on: October 20, 2021, 09:13:58 PM »

Wouldn't you want to roast those guajillos first? Also, it doesn't seem like you'd get any flavor other than La Costena chipotles in adobo using two cans of the stuff. Canned chipotles absolutely have their place, but a little goes a long way.

But hey, what do I know. Your the professional and I reckon you make it all work.

Definitely would roast them. Love that fucking smell wafting through the house.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #733 on: October 28, 2021, 01:11:55 PM »
For anyone that like Chipotle, I tried their new Brisket for the first time today and it was pretty good.  :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #734 on: October 28, 2021, 01:15:46 PM »
These last few posts are positively making my mouth water.