Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 998758 times)

Offline son_ov_hades

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #2695 on: December 22, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
We may not know about that until they get back into the studio, for their next album, and, all of a sudden, decide to have Mangini to add backup vocals, then we can see what happens then.

Has Mangini ever done vocals, screaming ones for that matter? I mean, if he can sing harmonies, then that shouldn't be a problem, but I really doubt we'll be hearing anything like, "My brotha!" from him.

If Mangini tries to be Mikael Akerfeldt like Portnoy did they'd probably fire him on the spot.  :lol
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2696 on: December 22, 2013, 03:12:27 PM »
Here's another controversial opinion: I simply cannot stand The Spirit Carries On, and yet it seems they choose to play it every time I see them.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2697 on: December 22, 2013, 03:22:26 PM »
Here's another controversial opinion: I simply cannot stand The Spirit Carries On, and yet it seems they choose to play it every time I see them.

I agree with this.  Like almost everything on SFAM Its such a blatant rip off, makes it hard to stomach.   

About DT not letting MP back, MM+DT is pretty much a band devoid of any sort of attitude, just a band of music nerds.  At least Portnoy brought an aspect of showmanship and attitude to the overall brand, and DT is missing that right now. 

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2698 on: December 22, 2013, 04:41:16 PM »

I agree with this.  Like almost everything on SFAM Its such a blatant rip off, makes it hard to stomach.   

About DT not letting MP back, MM+DT is pretty much a band devoid of any sort of attitude, just a band of music nerds.  At least Portnoy brought an aspect of showmanship and attitude to the overall brand, and DT is missing that right now.

Rip-off of what?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2699 on: December 22, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »
Here's another controversial opinion: I simply cannot stand The Spirit Carries On

Couldn't agree more. Such an overrated song.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2700 on: December 22, 2013, 05:13:58 PM »

Rip-off of what?

I would like to hear this, also. Scenes From A Memory isn't one of my favorite DT albums, but I hardly consider it derivative.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2701 on: December 22, 2013, 05:24:58 PM »

Rip-off of what?

I would like to hear this, also. Scenes From A Memory isn't one of my favorite DT albums, but I hardly consider it derivative.

Rage Against the Machine, Tool and the obligatory Zappa rips in there. Hard.  I must apologise for the Spirit Carries On claim; I was getting at the John & Theresa Solo spot thing in Live Scenes; Great Gig in the Sky much.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2702 on: December 22, 2013, 05:30:08 PM »
Don't listen to Zappa, or even RATM much, but Tool? That one part in Home? That makes the whole album a ripoff? ???

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2703 on: December 22, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »
Well, maybe not all of it, I take that back.  The little rip off riffs are part of the reason I don't really like SFAM.  That and the cheese.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2704 on: December 22, 2013, 05:35:19 PM »
:symphonyx:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2705 on: December 22, 2013, 07:05:14 PM »

Rip-off of what?

Rage Against the Machine, Tool and the obligatory Zappa rips in there. Hard.  I must apologise for the Spirit Carries On claim; I was getting at the John & Theresa Solo spot thing in Live Scenes; Great Gig in the Sky much.

Nothing on SFAM sounds like RATM at all to me. First time I've ever heard that one!
And there's only one song that sounds sort of Tool influenced, and only because it uses the generic metal scale that every metal band uses, and Tool is the go-to band for any metal that doesn't specifically sound like any other metal band, because Tool is the most bland generic metal band around. :lol
I've never heard any Zappa, but I know the instrumental section from BTL was intentionally inspired by Zappa, and it's one of my favourite parts of the album, so I can't say I have a problem with them drawing inspiration there.  :tup  DT usually does a good job of taking their influences and adding their own signature sound to it.

And TSCO is better than anything by the band that inspired it. Controversial opinions!  :police:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2706 on: December 22, 2013, 07:07:51 PM »
Tool, bland generic metal? That seems like an odd criticism to me, I've always found them to have a very distinctive sound.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2707 on: December 22, 2013, 07:10:27 PM »
Tool, bland generic metal? That seems like an odd criticism to me, I've always found them to have a very distinctive sound.

I've only ever recognized them by the distinct lack of any defining characteristics, basically by process of elimination. I guess the lack of defining characteristics is in itself a defining characteristic though. :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2708 on: December 22, 2013, 07:20:53 PM »
Just not your "cup of tea" blob.  Tool is very unique.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2709 on: December 22, 2013, 07:21:47 PM »
Interesting. I think their riffs, Carey's drum style, Maynard's vocals are all defining characteristics. That's opinions for you, though.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2710 on: December 22, 2013, 08:29:58 PM »
Tool is most definitely unique. I've heard nothing like them except for Rishloo, who is a complete knockoff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2711 on: December 22, 2013, 08:40:43 PM »
Okay, that I don't understand either. :lol  The only Rishloo album I've heard is Feathergun, and it sounds nothing like Tool. Based on that album, actually, it seemed to me like Rishloo was far more diverse in their writing style, though that doesn't necessarily make their music any better or worse.

edit: Perhaps you're thinking of Karnivool? I haven't heard them, but I've heard them compared to Tool before.

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #2712 on: December 22, 2013, 09:58:16 PM »
While we're still on the subject of Tool, I think that Dany Carey is an AMAZING drummer, but I just don't "get" their music. I've never heard them write a melody, and all Maynard does is talk/whine/yell throughout the songs. I can't in good conscience label him as a "singer", because I've never heard him sing an actual melody.
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2713 on: December 22, 2013, 10:04:06 PM »
I know this is the controversial opinions thread, but honestly, some of these Tool opinions are making my brain hurt. :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #2714 on: December 22, 2013, 10:10:07 PM »
Let's just all agree that Tool is a group of talented players who can't write a melody to save their lives and move on.  ;)
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #2715 on: December 22, 2013, 10:19:18 PM »
Not gonna agree with that one.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2716 on: December 22, 2013, 10:33:52 PM »

Dream Theater has always been about the musicianship first and foremost. They were never about "attitude", and they don't need to pretend to be badass or dark or "metal". They are what they are, and they deserve all the respect in the world for it. There are many metal bands out there who need that attitude because they need something to back up their mediocre playing. Dream Theater's music speaks for itself, and they don't need to be covered in tattoos and be obnoxiously outgoing.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2717 on: December 23, 2013, 12:15:44 AM »
 Just to clarify my opinion a few posts above, I donīt like The Spirit Carries On, but love all other songs on SFAM. I donīt think they copied anything on that album. If anything, there are several references to the melodies and riffs from Metropolis Part I, which I quit enjoy.

Offline adastra

« Reply #2718 on: December 23, 2013, 01:10:29 AM »
Just to clarify my opinion a few posts above, I donīt like The Spirit Carries On, but love all other songs on SFAM. I donīt think they copied anything on that album. If anything, there are several references to the melodies and riffs from Metropolis Part I, which I quit enjoy.

I have never liked "Home" :D 
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2719 on: December 23, 2013, 01:32:28 AM »
I don't dislike TSCO, but it doesn't do anything to me and I've never fully grasped why it's so popular.
And TSCO is better than anything by the band that inspired it. Controversial opinions!  :police:
Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall would like to have a word with you :police:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2720 on: December 23, 2013, 01:37:54 AM »
I don't dislike TSCO, but it doesn't do anything to me and I've never fully grasped why it's so popular.
Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall would like to have a word with you :police:

Well they can talk to the hand, because I ain't listening. :biggrin:

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2721 on: December 23, 2013, 04:07:09 AM »

Dream Theater has always been about the musicianship first and foremost. They were never about "attitude", and they don't need to pretend to be badass or dark or "metal". They are what they are, and they deserve all the respect in the world for it. There are many metal bands out there who need that attitude because they need something to back up their mediocre playing. Dream Theater's music speaks for itself, and they don't need to be covered in tattoos and be obnoxiously outgoing.

I wouldn't call 'attitude' a need.  You're right, they don't need to hide behind the ''metal attitude'' to make up for dud playing.  But I think the MP 'attitude' stretches beyond outgoing, tatooness.  Its something thats missing from the music too, and I don't think the band is any better for having lost that dynamic. 

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2722 on: December 23, 2013, 04:08:40 AM »
Sometimes I feel like Blob is controversial for the sake of controversial.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2723 on: December 23, 2013, 04:18:41 AM »
Sometimes I feel like Blob is controversial for the sake of controversial.  :lol

I swear I'm not! :lol I just have very different musical tastes to prog fans.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2724 on: December 23, 2013, 04:34:33 AM »

If this is brought up by Blob saying DT is better than Pink Floyd, then count me in as controversial as well. Try as I might, I was never able to get into Floyd much.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2725 on: December 23, 2013, 05:16:13 AM »
I'm a bit with Blob there too (although I love Gilmour's tone)  - and of course PF's best album is A Momentary Lapse of Reason    ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2726 on: December 23, 2013, 06:09:50 AM »
Most DT albums are chock full of references, obvious inspirations. With that mentality you could call their entire library of music a giant ripoff. They always had their own sound, but they never shied away from showing their influences and talking about them. I don't think that lessens their music, on the contrary, it gives it even more depth.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2727 on: December 23, 2013, 06:43:09 AM »
Most DT albums are chock full of references, obvious inspirations. With that mentality you could call their entire library of music a giant ripoff. They always had their own sound, but they never shied away from showing their influences and talking about them. I don't think that lessens their music, on the contrary, it gives it even more depth.

Cool.  I agree with you, its just something that bothers me about music, especially what I find in prog bands.  I remember seeing a chart during the making of some Between the Buried and Me album, and one of the songs was like:

Meshuggah riff x4
Megadeth Chorus
Dream Theater Instrumental section
etc.

That shit just irks me, it seems so counter-progressive, if that makes sense.  I saw a similar thing in Liquid Drum Theater where MP broke down, I think it was Home, in a similar way.  I guess thats where my disdain for SFAM came from.  I get that its 'references' and 'nods' or whatever, but it just seems cheap to me.  Opinions, assholes, etc. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2728 on: December 23, 2013, 06:47:57 AM »
I think SFAM is one of the DT albums with least obvious references to other bands and in my view Octavarium is the album on which DT wore their influences on their sleeves most blatantly.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2729 on: December 23, 2013, 06:50:32 AM »
Yeah.  I think the Home breakdown I was talking about on LDT was what set it concrete for me, but now that you mention it I'm inclined to agree with you.  I have a feeling if I watched that segment again it probably wouldn't even be that bad :lol