Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 991568 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #2765 on: December 24, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised. John's writing is increasingly formuliac.

DT has always had several song "types" that their catalogue fits into.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2766 on: December 24, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »
They definitely do now.

« Reply #2767 on: December 24, 2013, 11:25:58 AM »
They definitely do now.

They did even in the 90s. Most of their songs could be put into one of a handful of "DT song types" even back then.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2768 on: December 24, 2013, 11:26:17 AM »
I think they do a couple of jams, choose riffs they like to expand upon and go from there..they structure then record, even then they'll add stuff, MP adding the queen vocals is a good example, so is the Shaman patch.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

« Reply #2769 on: December 24, 2013, 11:29:16 AM »
I think they do a couple of jams, choose riffs they like to expand upon and go from there..they structure then record, even then they'll add stuff, MP adding the queen vocals is a good example, so is the Shaman patch.

Well yeah, but I do wonder, when they were writing BITS, did they know how long it would end up before actually writing it? Did they have a framework in mind?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2770 on: December 24, 2013, 11:29:31 AM »
95% of band write formulaic.  I laugh when people complain about this.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2771 on: December 24, 2013, 11:32:38 AM »

Because being in that 5 percent that were willing to just go anywhere defying genre and formula was what brought many of us to DT to begin with  :lol

« Reply #2772 on: December 24, 2013, 11:35:39 AM »

Because being in that 5 percent that were willing to just go anywhere defying genre and formula was what brought many of us to DT to begin with  :lol

Like I said, they've had their "formulaic" songs since the 90s.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2773 on: December 24, 2013, 11:37:22 AM »
I never said they never had any formuliac songs before, dude.

You're not making a point, TGP. You're just misconstruing my opinions to try and invalidate them.

Again.

Seems to be a pretty big theme with you.

« Reply #2774 on: December 24, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »
I never said they never had any formuliac songs before, dude.

You're not making a point, TGP. You're just misconstruing my opinions to try and invalidate them.

You said they've been very formulaic lately. And I disagree with that. I don't think DT is any more formulaic with their songs now than they were 20 years ago. Sure back then they might have had more variety stylistically, but their basic song archetypes still existed even back then. I can pretty much take any DT song and fit it into one of maybe 6 or 8 categories of DT songs, in terms of style and structure.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2775 on: December 24, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »
It's one thing to retroactively categorize things, but that has nothing to do with whether a song was created by formula.

Learning to Live and Breaking All Illusions are both "epics". Both are, in my opinion, great songs. Learning to Live was the byproduct of exploration, throwing genre and formula to the wind. Breaking All Illusions, in contrast, is the byproduct of writing a song based on the Learning to Live formula.

While I like both songs, stuff like LtL goes a much greater distance in grabbing me and holding my interest. 

I'd probably enjoy Dream Theater a lot more if they still did stuff like that.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2776 on: December 24, 2013, 11:51:38 AM »

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2777 on: December 24, 2013, 11:57:46 AM »

I still don't get this avatar reply shit.

« Reply #2778 on: December 24, 2013, 12:05:01 PM »

:lol Yeah, I was about to ask what this is all about.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2779 on: December 24, 2013, 12:17:46 PM »

:lol

Joe you know that bands don't really stray much, there are the few bands that defy that and change writing styles recording styles but in general they have a formula.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2780 on: December 24, 2013, 12:19:23 PM »

:lol Yeah, I was about to ask what this is all about.

It's funny as all hell.  You have a stubborn look and they are calling you stubborn.  I'm on your stubborn side as well. :lol

« Reply #2781 on: December 24, 2013, 12:22:06 PM »
 :rollin I suppose, haha. I didn't pick the avatar. It picked me.

Offline MonagFam

« Reply #2782 on: December 24, 2013, 12:26:04 PM »

I immediately thought it was sort of a "balls in your court" thing.  Next person to reply in the current debate.

« Reply #2783 on: December 24, 2013, 12:29:34 PM »
I immediately thought it was sort of a "balls in your court" thing.  Next person to reply in the current debate.

Funny thing is, I actually was well on my way to do that, but when I saw that, I decided to just let it go, no matter how much I wanted to counterpoint. Merry Christmas, haha.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2784 on: December 24, 2013, 01:24:31 PM »

Joe you know that bands don't really stray much, there are the few bands that defy that and change writing styles recording styles but in general they have a formula.
Well, is that my fault? Or DT's fault, for fostering the general expectation that they were a band that gave you more for so many years?

« Reply #2785 on: December 24, 2013, 01:37:53 PM »
Okay, here's my controversial opinion of the day, and I swear, PC, I'm not picking on you, nor am I singling out anyone or trying to insult them. This is just a general statement based on my personal feelings. Regarding how polarizing DT12 has been, and the kinds of comments I've been reading lately (for a few years actually)... I've been reading all sorts of comments, from "DT's music has become formulaic" (as above), to them getting stale, to "The band doesn't seem enthusiastic," to "They've lost the magic," etc. etc. And yet, there are still plenty of people who are saying, DT is better than they have been for a while. DT12 is a breath of fresh air, and stuff like that. Like I said, in my opinion, I think the latter group is right, I definitely think that DT are still every bit as prolific and enthusiastic as they've been throughout their whole career. (obviously there are various ups and downs, but those are minor, IMO)

So, what I'm saying is, I think that the former group of people--all the nay sayers who think that DT has lost its magic and they don't seem enthusiastic--are just projecting their own feelings onto the band. Maybe those people are the ones who lost their passion and enthusiasm for the band, and the only reason they still love I&W, Awake and all the classics is because they grew up with those albums. So it's nostalgia, sentimental connection due to personal life experiences of having grown up with that music. Which is okay, but they say that DT's current stuff is not as good as I&W or Awake, and maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But I think that no matter what DT puts out, no matter how good the music is, or how energetic the band is, to those people, nothing will ever be as good as the classics and nothing will ever make the band feel fresh and enthusiastic again. Sorry guys, but my humble controversial theory is that if anyone's lost the magic, it's you.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #2786 on: December 24, 2013, 01:42:08 PM »
I don't like Awake. I feel like they tried too hard to capitalize on the alt rock trend of the day, and a lot of the songs are just lacking noteable melodies. There's not a single song that feels "epic" to me, while the previous album has 3; TtT, LtL and Metropolis.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2787 on: December 24, 2013, 01:51:33 PM »

Well, is that my fault? Or DT's fault, for fostering the general expectation that they were a band that gave you more for so many years?

They did?  How so?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2788 on: December 24, 2013, 02:06:24 PM »
So, what I'm saying is, I think that the former group of people--all the nay sayers who think that DT has lost its magic and they don't seem enthusiastic--are just projecting their own feelings onto the band. Maybe those people are the ones who lost their passion and enthusiasm for the band, and the only reason they still love I&W, Awake and all the classics is because they grew up with those albums. So it's nostalgia, sentimental connection due to personal life experiences of having grown up with that music.

I've gotta ask, Pretender, do you ever stop to think that maybe other people hold valid reasons for thinking the way they do, and that maybe you are the one being too sentimental about the band? To me, it's fairly obvious that Dream Theater have changed quite a bit over the years, everything from how they write songs to how the approach lyrics; from how they value production to how they view touring.

For what it's worth, I got into DT around Train of Thought. That was a weird album for them, but at the time it was easy to still be excited about them because it wasn't as clear as it is now that DT had ceased to be big innovators of progressive music, and it was easy to dismiss ToT as a one-off. But since then, it's become pretty obvious that they're going to stick to the script. They still produce quality stuff that I enjoy, but because they stick so much to the formula, it's hard for me to be as excited bout them as I am about other music in the genre. 

This has nothing to do with me changing or projecting unrealistic expectations on the band, since I've *always* been someone who's going to gravitate to music that pushes the envelope.

In other words, nice try at "not" singling me out, but you're still wrong  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2789 on: December 24, 2013, 02:07:59 PM »

Well lets use this as an example.  Do you think the last 2 albums are similar musically?  I don't think so which means you don't like the style or  writing, of production of the last 2 albums.  I love 6DOIT.  Sonically, it's a different album.  It is different from how they wrote songs?  Not much.  The did add the heavy element with The Glass Prison. 

I just think you are moving in a musical direction away from DT's style.  Nothing wrong with that.  I'm a music whore and for example I love Steven Wilson which is far away from DT but I get to choose, depending on my mood what I want t listen too.  That's all.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2790 on: December 24, 2013, 02:13:02 PM »
So, what I'm saying is, I think that the former group of people--all the nay sayers who think that DT has lost its magic and they don't seem enthusiastic--are just projecting their own feelings onto the band. Maybe those people are the ones who lost their passion and enthusiasm for the band, and the only reason they still love I&W, Awake and all the classics is because they grew up with those albums. So it's nostalgia, sentimental connection due to personal life experiences of having grown up with that music. Which is okay, but they say that DT's current stuff is not as good as I&W or Awake, and maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But I think that no matter what DT puts out, no matter how good the music is, or how energetic the band is, to those people, nothing will ever be as good as the classics and nothing will ever make the band feel fresh and enthusiastic again. Sorry guys, but my humble controversial theory is that if anyone's lost the magic, it's you.

I see where you're coming from but quality of the music aside, just sonically it sounds like they've been releasing the same album 3 or 4 times in a row now. Sure there are some parts of songs that stray a little from the band's usual style but overall the songs seem to fit the same mold. From my perspective, you could mix and match any 80 minute grouping of songs from SC to DT and nothing outside of maybe TDEN would sound like it doesn't belong with the others. They've been using the same bag of tricks and it's starting to show. For as much fun as we might poke at a band like Nickelback or ACDC who seem to write the same song over and over again, DT has pretty much become the prog metal version of just that. I'll listen to a new album when it comes out but I've yet to hear something from the last few releases that doesn't make me go "yep, sounds like a Dream Theater song". Those older albums are special because they all have their own identity and DT was clearly a band that was exploring new sounds. That's why the shift in sound between albums is noticeable. Nowadays? There doesn't seem to be much of a shift at all. If you really do happen to like their sound now then I suppose it is great but repetition starts to bore me personally.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2791 on: December 24, 2013, 02:17:29 PM »

Well lets use this as an example.  Do you think the last 2 albums are similar musically?  I don't think so which means you don't like the style or  writing, of production of the last 2 albums.  I love 6DOIT.  Sonically, it's a different album.  It is different from how they wrote songs?  Not much.  The did add the heavy element with The Glass Prison. 

I just think you are moving in a musical direction away from DT's style.  Nothing wrong with that.  I'm a music whore and for example I love Steven Wilson which is far away from DT but I get to choose, depending on my mood what I want t listen too.  That's all.
I liked ADTOE, but it was as formulaic as it gets for DT.

I thought DT12 was "just OK". At times it sounds like DT, at other times it sounds way too much like Rush. I feel even the lyrics have a really Rush feel to them. I'm really not big on that.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I feel like I might like Systematic Chaos the best of the Roadrunner albums. Though it's not a great album, I feel like that was the last time DT were really pushing themselves to go outside their usual comfort zone. Had they spent more time polishing the songs, and honing down the lyrics and vocal melodies and production, it might have been a much better album.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2792 on: December 24, 2013, 02:20:19 PM »
Another thing is while I respect them as musicians, for as talented and they are they never seem to really push themselves. If you had a talent like that wouldn't you always want to be exploring and pushing the boundaries of what your instrument could do? I not talking about Rudess getting a new toy (although that is the closest they seem to get) or JP trying out a new amp either.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2793 on: December 24, 2013, 02:26:35 PM »
I don't like Awake. I feel like they tried too hard to capitalize on the alt rock trend of the day, and a lot of the songs are just lacking noteable melodies. There's not a single song that feels "epic" to me, while the previous album has 3; TtT, LtL and Metropolis.

Alt rock?  Explain this one.

« Reply #2794 on: December 24, 2013, 02:42:10 PM »
I've gotta ask, Pretender, do you ever stop to think that maybe other people hold valid reasons for thinking the way they do, and that maybe you are the one being too sentimental about the band? To me, it's fairly obvious that Dream Theater have changed quite a bit over the years, everything from how they write songs to how the approach lyrics; from how they value production to how they view touring.

That's kind of a silly question. Of course I consider people's reasons. But if you must know, I'm the type of person who believes that a lot of the time, people's reasons for things are misunderstood, or mislead by emotion. Emotions, such as, for example, the aforementioned nostalgia. And I'm not saying that I'm absolved of this, necessarily. But I am willing to admit that maybe when I give my reasoning for a certain opinion, maybe deep down inside, my true reasoning is completely different and I just don't realize it. I can't always explain why I feel a certain way. I can try to the best of my ability, but there's always a chance that I'm missing something, and I think that other people are the same way.

In other words, nice try at "not" singling me out, but you're still wrong  :biggrin:

About you, maybe. But you're not the only nay-sayer I've heard, and my opinion still applies to them. Of course, all of them will disagree with me, because they all have their own reasons for how they feel. But some things being said are completely baseless. And this mostly regards, as I mentioned, people who say the band isn't enthusiastic anymore, or that they're stagnant, or whatever. I mean, FFS, there's people theorizing that Jordan Rudess will be quitting the band after the next album. And I respect Polarbear's opinion, but it just baffles me how he can possibly think that. Have we already forgotten the kind of excitement and enthusiasm they were all showing during the ADTOE tour? There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that this enthusiasm was faked by Rudess, or that it waned since recording DT12.

I see where you're coming from but quality of the music aside, just sonically it sounds like they've been releasing the same album 3 or 4 times in a row now.

Sorry, brother, I really, really, REALLY have to disagree with you on that. The only think the RR albums have in common is that there was a noticeable shift toward a heavier, more energetic sound overall. In terms of genre, yes, it's hard to dispute that they've been putting out what can be solidly classified as "Progressive Metal", (as opposed to certain songs they've done in the past that were pretty much pop-rock). But as far as the genre of "Progressive Metal" goes, the past 4 albums have been extremely diverse and different from one another. The moods, the emphasis on riffs, solos, chords, etc. is very different in each album. The difference is especially dramatic when comparing MP era to MM era, and I'm not JUST talking about the difference in drumming.

Honestly, when comparing the overall sound and style, I'd say that 6DOIT and 8VM have more in common than any of the RR era albums. If I heard 6DOIT and 8VM songs for the first time on Shuffle, I honestly would not be able to tell you which song comes from which album. In fact, this applies to TOT as well. Again, if you were to mesh all the songs from those 3 albums into one playlist, the only stylistic difference I'd notice is how heavy the TOT songs are, and in that respect, I'd guess that all the TOT songs, as well as TGP, TROAE and Panic Attack all belonged on the same album.

And I really can't say that about any of the RR era albums. There isn't a single song on BC&SL that sounds anything like something on SC.
Between ADTOE and DT12, I may guess that  This is the Life might belong to DT12, if I didn't know better. But that's it.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #2795 on: December 24, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »
Alt rock?  Explain this one.

Alternative rock? Grungy, simplistic, heavy rock music? The best example for me is Lie, a song that I despise, but even a song like The Mirror, which could have been comparable to the proggy and upbeat songs that I love on I&W (ex, Take the Time), were made kind of simplistic, very heavy, and less upbeat.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2796 on: December 24, 2013, 03:06:47 PM »
Hey, I really liked Jordan's new album with Levin and Minneman. To me, that sounded very fresh, and not formulaic at all.

So it's really not a case of me just being nostalgic and not liking the guys no matter what they do. I still think they can throw down when they really try, and LMR is a great example of that for Jordan.

But for DT, they are more than happy to just stick to the script. And that works for them, since the majority of their fans are satisfied with that. I realize I'm in the minority with wanting them to push themselves a bit more. That's why I'm posting this in the "controversial opinions" thread.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2797 on: December 24, 2013, 03:10:58 PM »
I'm kind of in the middle. I'd like them to branch out from "typical" DT, but at the same time I still enjoy pretty much all of their music.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2798 on: December 24, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »
Sorry, brother, I really, really, REALLY have to disagree with you on that. The only think the RR albums have in common is that there was a noticeable shift toward a heavier, more energetic sound overall. In terms of genre, yes, it's hard to dispute that they've been putting out what can be solidly classified as "Progressive Metal", (as opposed to certain songs they've done in the past that were pretty much pop-rock). But as far as the genre of "Progressive Metal" goes, the past 4 albums have been extremely diverse and different from one another. The moods, the emphasis on riffs, solos, chords, etc. is very different in each album. The difference is especially dramatic when comparing MP era to MM era, and I'm not JUST talking about the difference in drumming.

We must have 4 very, very different CDs then. You'd need to split the finest of hairs in order to call those albums "extremely diverse and different from one another".

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2799 on: December 24, 2013, 03:42:38 PM »
I feel like Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds are pretty similar albums, except that Black Clouds gives more focus to the metal part in "progressive metal". ADToE is completely different from any other album in the RR era and well DT is also kinda in a league of its own.