Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 991498 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #2835 on: December 29, 2013, 07:01:28 PM »
It wasn't that hard to understand. :dunno:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2836 on: December 29, 2013, 07:03:03 PM »
I don't really buy the solo project excuse. If you've got something new to share, why not flesh it out with some of the most talented musicians in the world?

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2837 on: December 29, 2013, 10:10:07 PM »
It wasn't that hard to understand. :dunno:

Just to clarify, I understood it. I just replaced his post in the quote to try to be funny. :P

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2838 on: December 31, 2013, 07:26:37 AM »
Here's my (not sure if) controversial opinion: the sound of the LALP CDs is utter garbage. It sounds extremely muddy and the guitar mostly just drowns out everything. JMX is inaudible, JR is too sometimes and the drums sound OK only when there's (almost) nothing else playing. The cymbals sound extremely thin and short and the snare drum hits lack punch. Really, the only thing about it that actually sounds good is JLB.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2839 on: December 31, 2013, 07:45:39 AM »
I like the LALP mix much better than the Merry Christmas release. Except for the keyboards.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2840 on: December 31, 2013, 07:45:52 AM »
Here's my (not sure if) controversial opinion: the sound of the LALP CDs is utter garbage. It sounds extremely muddy and the guitar mostly just drowns out everything. JMX is inaudible, JR is too sometimes and the drums sound OK only when there's (almost) nothing else playing. The cymbals sound extremely thin and short and the snare drum hits lack punch. Really, the only thing about it that actually sounds good is JLB.
Agreed on all counts, plus I hate the backing tracks and the click. I was kind of OK with it when it first came out, but now that the novelty has faded away, I simply can't stand listening to it. The holiday release was a breath of fresh air in the mixing department.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2841 on: December 31, 2013, 07:47:51 AM »
I like the LALP mix much better than the Merry Christmas release. Except for the keyboards.

LALP was a bit more polished overall, although I prefer the balance of instruments overall on the Christmas release.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2842 on: December 31, 2013, 08:19:16 AM »
Overall, the quality of the sounds on LaLP are much better, but the balance of instruments is better on the Holiday Album. I was actually surprised at the volume of the keys throughout the songs on the Holiday Album.  Has DT ever released live songs that were professionally mixed with the keys consistently that high in the mix?

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2843 on: December 31, 2013, 08:34:33 AM »
Live Scenes has pretty loud keys, in some instances (BTL, FT, STV, Home...) a lot louder and more prominent than on SFAM.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2844 on: December 31, 2013, 09:28:48 AM »
I wish every DT album and live release had loud and prominent keys. Jordan plays some amazing stuff that never gets to be heard.

Offline MonagFam

« Reply #2845 on: December 31, 2013, 09:30:19 AM »
I wish every DT album and live release had loud and prominent keys. Jordan plays some amazing stuff that never gets to be heard.

I feel the same way about Myung. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2846 on: December 31, 2013, 09:36:19 AM »

I feel the same way about Myung. 

They should just turn everyone up equally, to make sure everyone gets heard. Problem solved! :neverusethis:

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #2847 on: December 31, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
JP should let JM be the producer

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2848 on: December 31, 2013, 01:25:19 PM »
Also, forgive me if I misinterpret what you are saying here, but for the sake of argument, are you saying that if someone who was a DT fan for years just listened to I&W today, they wouldn't rank it very high? Or are you simply comparing this to someone who had listened to I&W from the very beginning, and had that nostalgic connection ? I&W was one of the last DT albums I got into, and I think it's in their top 3 albums.

It can happen or no, you can genuinely think an album is or isn't good as the other, having nothing to do with the one you listened first. Like i already said, the two things already happened to me so...
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2849 on: December 31, 2013, 02:35:10 PM »

I felt like the keys on I&W were a tad too loud. It really does make a dramatic difference between making a band sound like a Prog Rock and Prog Metal. I feel like if they focused on making the keyboards really loud, DT would lose some of their Metal edge, because then JP's badass guitar riffs would be smothered by the keyboard.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2850 on: December 31, 2013, 02:58:37 PM »

I felt like the keys on I&W were a tad too loud. It really does make a dramatic difference between making a band sound like a Prog Rock and Prog Metal. I feel like if they focused on making the keyboards really loud, DT would lose some of their Metal edge, because then JP's badass guitar riffs would be smothered by the keyboard.

I feel like that's more a problem of the guitar mastering and tone that made the metal riffs sound way less metal.

For example the louder keyboards on TCOT in the holiday release make the chorus much better when you can actually hear the epic Rudess part. Louder keyboard in ITNOG on Budokan also make the song better for me.  :metal

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2851 on: December 31, 2013, 03:24:42 PM »
I really don't like JP's new guitar sound I have to say. On the holiday fan release, when he goes into UAGM "chugga chugga" mode, you can't even hear the low E string. All you hear is the weird overtones.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Grizz

« Reply #2852 on: December 31, 2013, 04:01:53 PM »
We have to be able to hear the album.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #2853 on: December 31, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
Frankly, JPs lipsyncing is embarrassing. It makes me Lol.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #2854 on: December 31, 2013, 09:07:44 PM »
We have to be able to hear the album.

:lol

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #2855 on: January 01, 2014, 06:21:47 AM »

Totally agree.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2856 on: January 01, 2014, 10:04:41 AM »

Totally agree.

Except that DT is all of this.  That's why I love them.  Sometimes more prog and sometimes more metal.  There is no need for them to pigeonhole themselves.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2857 on: January 01, 2014, 10:07:19 AM »
Isn't it weird how PMU ends so abruptly

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2858 on: January 01, 2014, 10:08:15 AM »

Just like sex.  PMO though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2859 on: January 01, 2014, 10:22:29 AM »

Just like sex.  PMO though.

Pull My Ovaries?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2860 on: January 01, 2014, 11:07:45 AM »

« Reply #2861 on: January 01, 2014, 12:39:25 PM »
Except that DT is all of this.  That's why I love them.  Sometimes more prog and sometimes more metal.  There is no need for them to pigeonhole themselves.
I agree. I just think that certain songs on I&W needed a little more attitude. I love it for what it is, and I think it's one of the greatest albums ever, but if I were to introduce Dream Theater to someone, I would stay away from I&W because I feel like on the whole, it doesn't accurately represent Dream Theater's overall sound. It reaches perfection in the Prog category, but aside from Pull Me Under, there's very little about it that I'd consider Metal. So in that respect, it's not a very balanced album.

I feel like that's more a problem of the guitar mastering and tone that made the metal riffs sound way less metal.

For example the louder keyboards on TCOT in the holiday release make the chorus much better when you can actually hear the epic Rudess part. Louder keyboard in ITNOG on Budokan also make the song better for me.  :metal

You may be right. But I still don't think JR's keyboards need to be any louder than they are on the albums. Yes, sometimes there are some truly great moments that get a little lost, but that's one of the best parts of DT's music, is that those moments are still there. And with enough listens, you'll notice them, and you'll think, "Oh man, I never really noticed that little keyboard passage that JR is playing! That's so cool!" And you end up discovering something new about the song. And from then on, you'll hear it every time. That's one of the many things I love about DT.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2862 on: January 01, 2014, 06:33:24 PM »
I wish DT would write more songs like I Walk Beside You.

So they should do more collaborations with U2 :neverusethis:

But IWBY is awesome.

« Reply #2863 on: January 01, 2014, 06:50:36 PM »
I wish DT would write more songs like I Walk Beside You.

So they should do more collaborations with U2 :neverusethis:

But IWBY is awesome.

I'm not a fan of U2 at all. But the thing about DT is that no matter how many influences they borrow from, whether it be U2, Coldplay, Muse, Evanescence, or whatever other band, at the end of the day, the songs they come out with may have certain elements of those bands, but they're still Dream Theater songs. So even if you think it sounds like U2, or Muse, or whatever, it's more like, you can always look at it this way, what if those other bands started to sound more like Dream Theater? I think their music would be so much better. So just the same, it's still DT, just with a different flavor, and so it's still awesome.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2864 on: January 01, 2014, 07:00:32 PM »
That argument has its limit though. It's obviously down to personal perception of where that limit is, but I think there's a decent percentage of fans for whom that line was crossed an uncomfortably amount of times.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2865 on: January 01, 2014, 07:04:56 PM »
Sounding like U2 is so much better than sounding like Muse.

« Reply #2866 on: January 01, 2014, 07:09:55 PM »
That argument has its limit though. It's obviously down to personal perception of where that limit is, but I think there's a decent percentage of fans for whom that line was crossed an uncomfortably amount of times.

Sure. But still, you can't say that I Walk Beside You sounds 100% like a U2 song. Or that Forsaken sounds 100% like an Evanescence song, etc.

I also feel like a lot of those fans that you speak of are the same ones that someone mentioned earlier, how a lot of people mainly appreciate DT for their prog side, or for their metal side, and they don't enjoy the bigger picture.
I could be wrong, but I find it difficult to understand how someone who, let's say, likes every DT album from 1989 to 2003, but then suddenly dislikes Octavarium because it has Muse, U2 and Coldplay influences. Because everything they'd done up until that point varied greatly, and I think it takes an eclectic taste in music to appreciate all of Dream Theater as it is. So I find it hard to believe that people who do have that kind of an eclectic taste would suddenly be put off by a few influences of some mainstream rock bands.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2867 on: January 01, 2014, 07:20:22 PM »
Sounding like U2 is so much better than sounding like Muse.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2868 on: January 01, 2014, 07:31:29 PM »

Sure. But still, you can't say that I Walk Beside You sounds 100% like a U2 song. Or that Forsaken sounds 100% like an Evanescence song, etc.

I also feel like a lot of those fans that you speak of are the same ones that someone mentioned earlier, how a lot of people mainly appreciate DT for their prog side, or for their metal side, and they don't enjoy the bigger picture.
I could be wrong, but I find it difficult to understand how someone who, let's say, likes every DT album from 1989 to 2003, but then suddenly dislikes Octavarium because it has Muse, U2 and Coldplay influences. Because everything they'd done up until that point varied greatly, and I think it takes an eclectic taste in music to appreciate all of Dream Theater as it is. So I find it hard to believe that people who do have that kind of an eclectic taste would suddenly be put off by a few influences of some mainstream rock bands.

There's having influences and then there's actually writing a riff/chorus/song that actually tries to emulate a particular band's style/tone/musical vocabulary/phrasing/etc. With the latter, it's no longer "oh I can kind of hear the influence" but more "holy crap, he's actually trying to sound exactly like Matt Bellamy" (using Never Enough as the example).

The only time DT ever really pulled off a clone well, IMO, is The Way It Used To Be. Very clearly U2 style but still retains that DT sound from the FII era.

« Reply #2869 on: January 01, 2014, 07:50:59 PM »
There's having influences and then there's actually writing a riff/chorus/song that actually tries to emulate a particular band's style/tone/musical vocabulary/phrasing/etc. With the latter, it's no longer "oh I can kind of hear the influence" but more "holy crap, he's actually trying to sound exactly like Matt Bellamy" (using Never Enough as the example).

The only time DT ever really pulled off a clone well, IMO, is The Way It Used To Be. Very clearly U2 style but still retains that DT sound from the FII era.

Are you talking about JP or JLB?

Honestly, if I didn't know, I would have guessed that they were just trying something a little different. The solo section of Never Enough still very much has a DT vibe to it. I guess if you're really familiar with those other bands and you really don't like them, then I can see how you'd be put off by those songs.
But then, if you really don't like those bands, I don't see why you'd familiarize yourself with their music enough to notice something like that anyway. I've heard some U2 songs in the past, and it didn't garner my interest one bit. If you ask me, U2 sounds like a bland, wishy washy soft rock band. (If you disagree, I apologize, that's just my opinion.) But any DT song that's ever displayed influences of U2, whether it's The Way It Used To Be, IWBY or To Live Forever, still sounded much better.

If nothing else, JLB's vocals still make it sound like DT. His voice is one of a kind.