Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 991468 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #2870 on: January 01, 2014, 07:56:40 PM »
I was referring to JLB's vocals on that song.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2871 on: January 01, 2014, 08:03:26 PM »
I was referring to JLB's vocals on that song.

See, that's the thing. Even though JLB was trying out a certain different style in that song, his voice is one of a kind. It still sounds like JLB, and he'd already played with different styles throughout DT's career. At the end of the day, I think it still sounds like JLB, and only added more colors and versatility to his portfolio.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2872 on: January 01, 2014, 08:08:33 PM »
Taking deep heavy breaths for no reason does not add color or versatility.

Notice how he hasn't done that since.

« Reply #2873 on: January 01, 2014, 08:12:16 PM »

I was talking about that particular way of falsetto singing. The verses in Never Enough, as well as the "Run, try to hide" portion of Panic Attack.

I don't know what breathing you're talking about. I never noticed it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2874 on: January 01, 2014, 08:17:42 PM »

I was talking about that particular way of falsetto singing. The verses in Never Enough, as well as the "Run, try to hide" portion of Panic Attack.

I don't know what breathing you're talking about. I never noticed it.

Cut myself open wide GASP
Reach inside GASP
Help yourself gasp

etc

« Reply #2875 on: January 01, 2014, 08:19:44 PM »
Yeah, I never really noticed the gasps. The parts with the words, I thought, were quite enjoyable.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #2876 on: January 01, 2014, 08:23:07 PM »
Constant Motion and Raw Dog are fucking awesome songs.

bring it

Nice one to stir up trouble, you must be fucking with us.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2877 on: January 01, 2014, 08:23:12 PM »
Yeah, I never really noticed the gasps. The parts with the words, I thought, were quite enjoyable.

I've taken a liking to the song, so it's not too big of a deal for me anymore, but those are still so unnecessary.

« Reply #2878 on: January 01, 2014, 08:30:01 PM »

I've taken a liking to the song, so it's not too big of a deal for me anymore, but those are still so unnecessary.
Honestly, though, I wonder if JLB was even aware of it. There was a certain kind of compressed distortion on his voice, and you'd be surprised how loud breaths can sound in a recording studio. I have to take long, slow breaths well ahead of time just to make sure they're not audible right before the take.

Either way, necessary or not, I didn't even notice them, so at the very least, I wouldn't say they totally ruin the song.

Constant Motion and Raw Dog are fucking awesome songs.

bring it

Nice one to stir up trouble, you must be fucking with us.

Constant Motion rules!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2879 on: January 01, 2014, 08:37:04 PM »

Honestly, though, I wonder if JLB was even aware of it. There was a certain kind of compressed distortion on his voice, and you'd be surprised how loud breaths can sound in a recording studio. I have to take long, slow breaths well ahead of time just to make sure they're not audible right before the take.

Either way, necessary or not, I didn't even notice them, so at the very least, I wouldn't say they totally ruin the song.

He takes some loud breaths in Fatal Tragedy, but they sound normal. In Never Enough it sounds like he's dying. Definitely intentional and I'm sure instructed by MP. Which I'm sure was strange in the studio.

"Ok, can you after each line take a huge breath?"

"um what"

Maybe I'm wrong.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2880 on: January 01, 2014, 10:02:41 PM »
Of course they're intentional, he metaphorically stabbed himself in the gut!
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2881 on: January 01, 2014, 10:25:20 PM »
I like Raw Dog.  :sad:
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2882 on: January 01, 2014, 10:50:56 PM »
I think Raw Dog has glimmers of a good song here and there, but overall I find it feels bloated and that it goes on for too long. I like the first half of it way better than the second half.

Since we're in the Controversial Opinions thread...I like Raw Dog more than Enigma Machine.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2883 on: January 01, 2014, 11:32:55 PM »
I like the Raw Dog riff (the one after the intro).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

« Reply #2884 on: January 02, 2014, 12:55:03 AM »
I just realized what I don't like about Raw Dog. It's a very long instrumental, even by DT's standards, yet it's majorly lacking melody. It's all riffs and grooves, but without melody it feels like pure balls and chunk, and it just gets tiresome.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2885 on: January 02, 2014, 03:59:25 AM »
I think Raw Dog has glimmers of a good song here and there, but overall I find it feels bloated and that it goes on for too long. I like the first half of it way better than the second half.

Since we're in the Controversial Opinions thread...I like Raw Dog more than Enigma Machine.

Me too. Enigma Machine still feels like going nowhere.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #2886 on: January 02, 2014, 11:59:02 AM »
I just realized what I don't like about Raw Dog. It's a very long instrumental, even by DT's standards, yet it's majorly lacking melody. It's all riffs and grooves, but without melody it feels like pure balls and chunk, and it just gets tiresome.

This might just be it. But then again, there's nothing wrong with riffing it up (The Sword does this all the time and I love them). I think another problem with Raw Dog is that is just feels disjointed and doesn't ever seem to be going anywhere. It's not a terrible song. It surely has its moment (mainly in the first half of it), but even some of the better riffs feel lacking.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2887 on: January 02, 2014, 12:16:25 PM »

This might just be it. But then again, there's nothing wrong with riffing it up (The Sword does this all the time and I love them). I think another problem with Raw Dog is that is just feels disjointed and doesn't ever seem to be going anywhere. It's not a terrible song. It surely has its moment (mainly in the first half of it), but even some of the better riffs feel lacking.

Raw Dog isn't a 'true' DT song to me. JMX wasn't even present when writing it. It was a quickly written song for a video game. Just speculating here....but I'd be willing to bet it took them a day, maybe two to write that thing.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2888 on: January 02, 2014, 12:36:13 PM »
IIRC MP said 3 days at some point.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2889 on: January 02, 2014, 12:36:45 PM »

Raw Dog isn't a 'true' DT song to me. JMX wasn't even present when writing it. It was a quickly written song for a video game. Just speculating here....but I'd be willing to bet it took them a day, maybe two to write that thing.

Made for a video game where, iirc, wasn't actually even in the video game.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2890 on: January 02, 2014, 01:06:29 PM »
Yeah, I don't think they were really told anything about the video game, or what the song ought to sound like. I remember Mikael from Opeth saying something like that.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2891 on: January 02, 2014, 01:09:26 PM »
Raw Dog's supposed to be pure balls and chunk. It's a freaking "ride my fire horse into battle and castrate that Zeus motherfucker" type of track. It's "DBZ villain going all out" music.  :lol  :metal

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2892 on: January 02, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »
Raw Dog's supposed to be pure balls and chunk. It's a freaking "ride my fire horse into battle and castrate that Zeus motherfucker" type of track. It's "DBZ villain going all out" music.  :lol  :metal

This. Raw Dog is an awesome track, imo. Its probably the heaviest thing the band has ever written, yet it has really catchy groove (that bass wah is killer). I like JR's choice of patches, and the solos are awesome. The whole song is dark, violent, brooding, and angry as fuck.

So, in other words, it perfectly captures the essence of the God of War video game franchise. :lol

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #2893 on: January 02, 2014, 03:07:28 PM »
This. Raw Dog is an awesome track, imo. Its probably the heaviest thing the band has ever written, yet it has really catchy groove (that bass wah is killer). I like JR's choice of patches, and the solos are awesome. The whole song is dark, violent, brooding, and angry as fuck.

So, in other words, it perfectly captures the essence of the God of War video game franchise. :lol

Me too. Enigma Machine still feels like going nowhere.

Agreed with all of this. Raw Dog is pretty awesome.

« Reply #2894 on: January 02, 2014, 03:09:39 PM »

The Dance of Eternity is DBZ villain going all out music.

There's nothing with balls and chunk as long as it gets some soloing every once in a while. Besides, if they had any intention to keeping God of War in mind when writing it, they would've written something that felt more grand and epic, with sections that closer resembled the ending of OTBOA.

Even when I'm in the mood for crazy, heavy, riff-based music, I'd sooner listen to Psychosane than Raw Dog. And that's unfortunate, because Raw Dog has some cool riffs and some really awesome moments, it's just that it starts out by smacking you in the face and keeps hammering you on the head for the next 7 minutes. And even though some of its riffs are nice, and some of its parts are pretty cool, none of it is DT's best or most creative material. It really sounds to me like they were asked to do this, they didn't care one bit about it, just rolled into the studio, banged it out in one session, and sent it out.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2895 on: January 02, 2014, 03:11:02 PM »

I think the DT's songs that were actually used in DBZ are better choices for DBZ music. Hahaha

Ninyad

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2896 on: January 02, 2014, 03:13:52 PM »

The Dance of Eternity is DBZ villain going all out music.

Well they did use it for The History of Trunks.

Along with pretty much the rest of the album.

« Reply #2897 on: January 02, 2014, 03:17:15 PM »
Well they did use it for The History of Trunks.

Along with pretty much the rest of the album.

Exactly!  :tup

EDIT: On that note, that's how I found out about DT actually. I heard the songs on History of Trunks and I liked it, it intrigued me, so I researched what band it was and that's how I became a fan of DT.

If Raw Dog was on a DBZ (or any other) soundtrack, I wouldn't be intrigued by it at all. It would not make me want to search out for more DT music. So personally, I think they should've put more effort into it, because there are plenty of God of War fans out there who probably got the EP and DT had the potential of attracting a bunch of new fans, which I highly doubt they did with Raw Dog.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2898 on: January 02, 2014, 03:27:19 PM »
My memory is clouded, but I believe I watched HoT a few years before I knew who DT were and thought nothing of the music, but I remember watching Kooler's Revenge and thought it was cool cause I was a huge Disturbed fan.

« Reply #2899 on: January 02, 2014, 03:31:39 PM »
My memory is clouded, but I believe I watched HoT a few years before I knew who DT were and thought nothing of the music, but I remember watching Kooler's Revenge and thought it was cool cause I was a huge Disturbed fan.

Well, to be honest, when I watched History of Trunks, aside from Through Her Eyes which has vocals on it, I didn't realize that any of the other stuff WAS a band, I thought it was a part of the score. And funny enough, Bruce Faulconer did write a few pieces for it that sounded like they were trying to imitate TDOE's chaotic style. But when my friend mentioned to me that a lot of it was a band called Dream Theater, and told me about TDOE, when I found it and listened to it, I was absolutely blown away by it, and right away I knew that DT was something special.

And I guarantee that that would not have happened with Raw Dog.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2900 on: January 02, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »
I'm listening to Raw Dog right now, and there's really nothing wrong with it. It's not something I listen to often (very rarely) but it is what it is. The first half is a bit slow to get going, but the second half with the soloing is really cool.

OH SHI 9999!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2901 on: January 02, 2014, 03:41:40 PM »
If the first thing I heard by DT was The Dance of Eternity I probably would have stayed away from the band.  :lol

My Metallica/Iron Maiden brain wouldn't have endured that song back then.

« Reply #2902 on: January 02, 2014, 03:48:43 PM »
I'm listening to Raw Dog right now, and there's really nothing wrong with it. It's not something I listen to often (very rarely) but it is what it is. The first half is a bit slow to get going, but the second half with the soloing is really cool.

OH SHI 9999!

Personally, I'd say the song is not as good as the sum of its parts. Maybe if it had a "Beautiful Agony" type section in the middle of it, I'd like it a lot better.

If the first thing I heard by DT was The Dance of Eternity I probably would have stayed away from the band.  :lol

My Metallica/Iron Maiden brain wouldn't have endured that song back then.

I didn't even listen to Metal back then, and I've never even heard of Progressive music as a genre. But I was still blown away by it.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2903 on: January 02, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »
It would be perfect in a battle anime like DBZ.  Baddie reveals he's not using his full power, music cues up as he's powering up. Unholy background choir noise as chunks of the ground start lifting into the air, and each different part in the song represents the battle escalating more and more.

...I could write this shit!  :corn

Offline jsem

« Reply #2904 on: January 02, 2014, 07:08:23 PM »
I wish every DT album and live release had loud and prominent keys. Jordan plays some amazing stuff that never gets to be heard.
This needs to be said again. Yes. Oh how I love dominant keys on I&W.