Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 454384 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #2380 on: July 27, 2016, 04:12:16 PM »
1. tpe
2. rl
3. be
4. e
5. ohbtcl
6. rs2
7. ss
8. rs1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2381 on: July 27, 2016, 04:14:41 PM »
I'm going to take this opportunity to listen to Scarsick, which may be their best album, thanks guys! :D

Wouldn't say it's the best, but it's my favourite.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2382 on: July 27, 2016, 05:02:46 PM »
So let's talk about 12:5 for a minute. Is "T5" in the titles just a clever shortening of 12:5? If so, why isn't it on the title for "Second Love," "Chainsling" and "Dryad of the Woods?" Are they technically the same arrangement but played acoustic? I guess it'd make sense to only denote new arrangements with the T5 modifier.

Also, some of the Brickwork parts that are labelled Ascend or Descend are still parts from other songs, are they not? Ascend 2 definitely is... it's from somewhere on Remedy Lane I think, drawing a blank on which song. But why isn't it in the subtitle of the Brickwork title?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2383 on: July 28, 2016, 02:12:57 AM »
I'd have to listen to that again to see what you refer to. It's been a while.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2384 on: July 28, 2016, 02:07:36 PM »
1. TPE
2. RL
3. OHBDCL/BE
4. Entropia
5. Scarsick
10. Road Salt 1, 2/12:5

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2385 on: July 28, 2016, 03:44:08 PM »
1. TPE
2. Remedy Lane
3. 12:5
4. OHBCL
5. Entropia
6. Falling Home
7. Road Salt 2
8. Road Salt 1

9. Scarsick

10. BE
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 03:55:01 PM by pogoowner »

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2386 on: July 28, 2016, 03:54:01 PM »
I'd have to listen to that again to see what you refer to. It's been a while.

Alright, I ended up skipping around and doing the detective work anyway. Weird nobody posted the actual titles of the ascend/descend sections on any discog sites or anything.
Brickwork I: Leaving Entropia T5 A
Brickwork II: This Heart of Mine T5
Brickwork III: Song for the Innocent T5
Brickwork IV: Descend 1/Her Voices T5 A
Brickwork V: Leaving Entropia T5 B
Brickwork VI: Ascend 1/Idioglossia T5
Brickwork VII: Ascend 2/Her Voices T5 B
Brickwork VIII: Second Love T5
Brickwork IX: Ashes T5
Brickwork X: Descend 2 (blues jam... it probably formed a Road Salt song?)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2387 on: July 29, 2016, 02:10:27 AM »
Good job! I'd have to dig up the cd somewhere in my gigantic mess of a cd cubboard, none of it in order.

Was just thinking with the back catalogue of POS how weird it was for them to put two BLATANT 'lovesongs' on Remedy Lane (This heart of mine and Second love) and actually make them work within the confounds of the concept. Imagine if they'd make an album full of those songs, they'd get butchered by the fans.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2388 on: July 29, 2016, 12:19:09 PM »
1. The Perfect Element
2. Remedy Lane
3. Entropia
4. Road Salt 1
5. Scarsick
6. Road Salt 2
7. One Hour By The Concrete Lake
8. BE
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2389 on: August 03, 2016, 01:24:13 PM »
1- BE
2- Remedy Lane
3- Entropia
4- The Perfect Element
5- Road Salt 1
6- Road Salt 2
7- One Hour By The Concrete Lake
8- Scarsick

By the way, I've just heard the Remedy Lane live. Very good. I just didn't like the new guy singing Daniel's hard parts in some of the songs. It sounds very different from the studio. Not that the new guy isn't a good singer. He is.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2390 on: August 03, 2016, 05:04:09 PM »
By the way, I've just heard the Remedy Lane live. Very good. I just didn't like the new guy singing Daniel's hard parts in some of the songs. It sounds very different from the studio. Not that the new guy isn't a good singer. He is.

This got me too.  It totally threw me.  Does anyone have any idea why some parts aren't sung by Daniel.  Undertow was one that really just didn't feel right to me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gilpdawg

« Reply #2391 on: August 04, 2016, 06:39:00 AM »
I have no earthly idea why they do that now. Daniel can still sing those parts. I've seen them three times in the last 3 or 4 years, and if he can still hit that note in Nightmist, which he can, then he can sing anything in their catalog. And I was at the show they recorded for the RL live disc, and it's not overdubbed much if at all. It sounds like it sounded in the room.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2392 on: August 04, 2016, 06:43:30 AM »
Well, maybe they just want to let the new guy shine a little? I mean, he's more than capable of being a front man himself and I actually thought it was nice hearing the songs from his perspective. :)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2393 on: August 04, 2016, 07:53:38 AM »
They should just say that DG has no voice anymore and get it over with, don't see why they are keeping silent about it. Right now you go to see PoS and get a 80% cover band instead. Good one, but still not PoS.

Offline gilpdawg

« Reply #2394 on: August 04, 2016, 09:29:19 AM »
They should just say that DG has no voice anymore and get it over with, don't see why they are keeping silent about it. Right now you go to see PoS and get a 80% cover band instead. Good one, but still not PoS.
Completely untrue. His voice is fine.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2395 on: August 04, 2016, 10:17:07 AM »
I wouldn't say his voice is totally fine based on the live gig I visited fairly recently (Autumn 2015) - the sound was quite clear so I was able to hear that he did struggle in a few moments - but it's definitely not the case of "having no voice anymore". He's doing good and I enjoyed hearing him sing on that gig. Definitely didn't feel like a cover band to me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2396 on: August 04, 2016, 10:56:01 AM »
I remember after he had his health problems and lost a lot of weight that he seemed to lose a bit of his vocals, but they were still good for someone who had been to hell and back. I hope his health is improving and I think the vocals will come naturally.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2397 on: August 04, 2016, 12:35:42 PM »
I agree that his vocals have been lacking lately. I could say the same of Mikael Akerfeldt's growls (since 2007 or so).

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2398 on: August 04, 2016, 12:53:41 PM »
He's human, it's to be expected, it's not a guitar you can just replace. I just wish they would come out with a statement and what the future holds. Are they pulling a Savatage for a while or what? The guy is great, probably one in a million find, but still not the person people go to see/hear.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2399 on: August 04, 2016, 02:20:09 PM »
Did I hear a different live recording than you guys did? He sounded insane and fantastic. The fact that Ragnorock sang some parts equals "Daniel's lost his voice"? Everything else he sang, which covered the whole range of vocals, was ace.

I have no idea how you guys translate him not singing Undertow, to him losing his voice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2400 on: August 04, 2016, 02:54:03 PM »
I don't mind Ragnar's vocals or how they are used either. Back when Johan was singing 30% it wasn't a problem, now that it's Ragnar, all of a sudden it's a cover band and Daniel should hang the mantle up.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2401 on: August 04, 2016, 11:55:12 PM »
I don't mind Ragnar's vocals or how they are used either. Back when Johan was singing 30% it wasn't a problem, now that it's Ragnar, all of a sudden it's a cover band and Daniel should hang the mantle up.
Yeah exactly, the vast majority is still Daniel.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2402 on: August 05, 2016, 12:01:42 AM »
It seems that there are some people that really don't like a live recording that differs in any way from the studio recording.

I just don't get that. Pain of Salvation have never really been a band that's all about perfect duplication, they always like to change things up. Giving Ragnorok lead vocals is a cool way to switch it up.

I should add that I listened to this album wanting to hate it. Truly. I was one of those guys who considered current PoS to be the Daniel Gildenlow band, playing PoS music.

But man, it's really really good. They do great jobs. Sure, I'd prefer Johan still there and doing all those vocals, but Raganarok did a fantastic job.

Loved it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2403 on: August 05, 2016, 01:24:07 AM »
It seems that there are some people that really don't like a live recording that differs in any way from the studio recording.

I just don't get that. Pain of Salvation have never really been a band that's all about perfect duplication, they always like to change things up. Giving Ragnorok lead vocals is a cool way to switch it up.

I should add that I listened to this album wanting to hate it. Truly. I was one of those guys who considered current PoS to be the Daniel Gildenlow band, playing PoS music.

But man, it's really really good. They do great jobs. Sure, I'd prefer Johan still there and doing all those vocals, but Raganarok did a fantastic job.

Loved it.
Agreed on all of this. He sounds fantastic on Remedy Lane Re:lived.

Also, I've never understood why people have a problem with Daniel Gildenlöw being the main writer just now? It's ALWAYS been that way! And if it really bothers then go buy the new album when it comes out - supposedly, Ragnar was very much involved in the writing this time around.

(Also, why have I never thought of the name Ragnarok? It's an amazing nick name for him!)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2404 on: August 05, 2016, 01:40:08 AM »
Literally no one said that.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2405 on: August 05, 2016, 01:43:42 AM »
Re:Lived version of Beyond the Pale is IMO better than original. And I didn't even realise it's different until I listened to studio version few days ago.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Adami

« Reply #2406 on: August 05, 2016, 01:49:11 AM »

Chucksteak heavily implied it. It's also something I've run into a lot before. I didn't mean to say you said that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2407 on: August 05, 2016, 06:58:51 AM »

Chucksteak heavily implied it. It's also something I've run into a lot before. I didn't mean to say you said that.
Live recordings will ALWAYS differ from studio ones, no matter how faithful you try to be. I have no problem with that at all. In fact, I even enjoy improvisation, re-arrangements of songs, solos, etc.

I have nothing against this new guy Ragnar and as I said before, I think he's a very good singer. I just didn't like him singing Daniel's parts. I am not saying that he didn't do a good job nor that he didn't sing them well. That's not the point. Since you are playing an entire album for the first time live, you try to reproduce it as faithfully as you can, which, instrumentally, they did. Johan didn't use to sing Daniel's parts. He did mostly backing vocals and his vocals worked in such a harmony with Daniel's that it makes me remember David Gilmour's and Richard Wright's vocal harmonies and how well they flowed together.

I think if Daniel sings certain parts in the studio he should also sing it live, specially if you are playing a whole album for the first time and specially if the concept of the album is what happened to Daniel in his life, which is very personal. So having another guy singing almost half of what Daniel sang in the studio is strange, since you can tell they tried to reproduce the album faithfully. They sometimes got lost in the lyrics too, if you listen closely. If they didn't want to take themselves too seriously, they would change some songs like they did with Undertow and Chain Sling on 12:5.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2408 on: August 05, 2016, 07:01:57 AM »
I dunno dude, that still sounds like you want it to sound as close to the studio version as possible.

Also, Johan DID sing Daniel's parts live, just not as many. Daniel never sang the chorus to Chainsling live, as far as I remember.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2409 on: August 05, 2016, 07:03:23 AM »
I dunno dude, that still sounds like you want it to sound as close to the studio version as possible.

Also, Johan DID sing Daniel's parts live, just not as many. Daniel never sang the chorus to Chainsling live, as far as I remember.
Yep, Johan always sang loads of Chainsling live.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2410 on: August 05, 2016, 07:22:18 AM »
If you play an entire album in a special occasion like Opeth did with Blackwater Park, I think you should try to sound as faithfully as you can. Remedy Lane being Daniel's autobiographical album, it sounds really strange having another guy singing a lot of his parts, which are passages of his life. It is different if you are playing just a regular concert and you can do whatever you want. PoS also tried to sound faithful to the album and they did, the vocals being the only different thing here and there.

I know Johan sang some of Daniel's parts. I saw them live and he did sing some, but, like I said, he mostly did backing vocals and he didn't sing Daniel's parts as much as Ragnar did. He also never (as far as I know) sang a whole song by himself live like Ragnar did with Undertow.

I enjoyed the live album very much, but I still prefer the studio version.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2411 on: August 05, 2016, 10:07:21 AM »
With ChuckSteak on this one. Ragnar is great, but he is not the driving force, primary writer, and lead singer of the band.

That said, Daniel had him sing it for a reason, and if you want live Undertow with Dan singing, it's on The Second Death Of (albeit in a way sparse arrangement). Ultimately I'm not super torn about it for these reasons.

Plus, the only reason I still listen to Re:Lived is for Dryad of the Woods. Otherwise the original and Re:Mixed are getting the plays.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2412 on: August 05, 2016, 11:12:50 AM »

That doesn't make any sense at all. PoS is mainly Daniel, but the other guys are in the band as well which makes them PoS as well. Give them some credit at least.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2413 on: September 30, 2016, 08:22:42 AM »
In the Passing Light of Day

January 13th, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOcV94khwaU

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2414 on: September 30, 2016, 08:31:15 AM »
Short, but sounds promising!!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):