Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 451097 times)

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #2345 on: July 04, 2016, 07:59:52 AM »
They use the song Remedy Lane as an opener, instead of having in the middle of the set, which works much better if you ask me. I always thought the CD was weird in that it has two instrumentals after one another.

Fair point about two successive instrumentals, but I think the point was that "Remedy Lane" opens the final section of tracks ("Chapter 3") by reprising some of the central melodic themes from earlier tracks; the songs that follow it vary pretty strangely from the style on the rest of the album, especially "Beyond the Pale," so it was likely important to open with a 'reminder' before the album/story got weirder.

Interesting to note TPI pt. I has this as well, but it was only a Japanese bonus track (until Inside Out's last reissue). Seems Remedy Lane was always a refinement on TPI.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2346 on: July 15, 2016, 06:04:59 AM »
for those who didn't go back, the Pain of Salvation web series documentary has been updated. All of Season 1 is now online and was put up within the last month.

https://mapenzifilm.se/

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2347 on: July 15, 2016, 06:51:40 AM »
The live part just affirmed for me again what an awesome piece of music Remedy Lane is. I had my doubts on how the new line-up would perform, but they proved to be completely groundless. They perform admirable.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2348 on: July 15, 2016, 06:57:18 AM »
The live part just affirmed for me again what an awesome piece of music Remedy Lane is. I had my doubts on how the new line-up would perform, but they proved to be completely groundless. They perform admirable.
This, so much! And I'd also add that the remix did the same thing - I love that it brings out new aspects of the music I never noticed before.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2349 on: July 17, 2016, 01:36:21 AM »
Somehow I never really got around to checking them out before, but man, how awesome are Beyond the Mirror and Timeweaver's Tale? So fucking good, I'd take them over at least half the songs on OHBTCL, such underrated gems.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2350 on: July 17, 2016, 04:58:13 AM »
There's even a 9 minute version of Timeweaver's Tale on their demo of 1996! I think Beyond The Mirror is solid but a bit boring, I like Timeweaver's Tale but it would be in the bottom half of OHBTCL for me.
Talking about rarities, there are also two songs from 1993 you can find on youtube, called Repent and Unknowing :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2351 on: July 17, 2016, 05:19:28 AM »
Somehow I never really got around to checking them out before, but man, how awesome are Beyond the Mirror and Timeweaver's Tale? So fucking good, I'd take them over at least half the songs on OHBTCL, such underrated gems.

It's astonishing that these songs are bonus tracks.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2352 on: July 17, 2016, 05:39:09 AM »
Like Thorn Clown. I bought the Remedy Lane vinyl reissue specifically so I could get my hands on a CD that includes that track.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2353 on: July 18, 2016, 02:49:58 AM »
Oh man, Beyond THe Mirror, Thorn Clown and Timeweaver's Tale are so awesome. :heart

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #2354 on: July 18, 2016, 03:17:29 PM »
if we're listing off rare japanese bonus tracks, we would be remiss not to mention Never Learn To Fly, which I believe Daniel wrote when he was 11 years old or some isht. \m/

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2355 on: July 18, 2016, 03:25:51 PM »
Is this album scheduled for 2016 or?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2356 on: July 18, 2016, 03:28:34 PM »
Pretty sure it's scheduled for the autumn/winter.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #2357 on: July 19, 2016, 01:08:12 AM »
for those who didn't go back, the Pain of Salvation web series documentary has been updated. All of Season 1 is now online and was put up within the last month.

These things are pretty insightful. And way more serious then I expected. Also, it's painful to see a band this big having to reharse in such depressive reheasal space.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2358 on: July 19, 2016, 02:16:09 AM »

These things are pretty insightful. And way more serious then I expected. Also, it's painful to see a band this big having to reharse in such depressive reheasal space.
Actually, most bands have similar spaces. I've seen Opeth's rehearsal room and that looks about the same. The thing that's depressive to me is all the problems they seem to be having.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #2359 on: July 19, 2016, 02:35:12 AM »
Yeah true. Unfortunately, that's the fate of a lot of bands, they have to keep their day jobs. Also, the fact that Daniel is the sole creative force and songwriter in the band doesn't help. I did enjoy the footage of Kristoffer Gildenlow coming to visit his brother backstage though. I haven't seen anything about the debiliitating desease Daniel contracted which halted the band for some time, though. 

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2360 on: July 19, 2016, 02:51:31 AM »
Yeah true. Unfortunately, that's the fate of a lot of bands, they have to keep their day jobs. Also, the fact that Daniel is the sole creative force and songwriter in the band doesn't help. I did enjoy the footage of Kristoffer Gildenlow coming to visit his brother backstage though. I haven't seen anything about the debiliitating desease Daniel contracted which halted the band for some time, though.
That happens later in the timeline so maybe they'll feature that next season. :)

Man, when you think about it, this band has had a great deal of setbacks. I'm not too familiar with the band's early history (up until Remedy Lane or something I guess) but the later years seems really rough for them.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #2361 on: July 19, 2016, 03:24:40 AM »
Well, let's see. First their bassplayer quits/gets asked to leave because he's spending most of his time in Holland.
Then their drummer quits because he's become a father and wants to spend more time with his family (understandable).
Then their guitarist quits/wants time out because he wants to climb a mountain and contemplate on life and who he is. And because he thinks there's too little progress.  (my understanding, at least). Then he DOESN'T want to quit....and then does.
When they finally replace all these guys their keyboardplayer quits because he wants to persue a classical carreer (?).

I also found the footage hilarious when they were auditioning drummers and the blonde girl with the big boobies was playing with them. The awkward silence afterwards.....and then Daniel: 'yeah....so, that's not going to work out, is it?' (silence).   ;D Boy, this guy must have been feeling alone for quite some time. Then this kid comes in to play... mmm...no. 

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2362 on: July 19, 2016, 03:47:18 AM »
Also, it's painful to see a band this big having to reharse in such depressive reheasal space.

Are they really "this big"? I seriously doubt that. They are known in prog circles and even there they are not universally known or liked. Outside of that small niche I think nobody has ever heard of them. Maybe some in Sweden when Daniel took part in the european song contest. And I wonder how or if they can make a living with just this one band. Daniel as the main force and songwriter may get some royalties now and then, but the rest? And I think that this is one of the reasons, among others, the other members quit.

And they had a lot of setbacks they couldn't influence, like Daniel's disease, but I always had the feeling that they missed a lot of opportunities because of not being ready (to tour, to record, whatever) when the time arises. It is five years since Road Salt Two, what happened in between? And Daniel's US embargo may be morally important to him but didn't make things easier for the band.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2363 on: July 19, 2016, 05:35:34 AM »
Well, let's see. First their bassplayer quits/gets asked to leave because he's spending most of his time in Holland.
Then their drummer quits because he's become a father and wants to spend more time with his family (understandable).
Then their guitarist quits/wants time out because he wants to climb a mountain and contemplate on life and who he is. And because he thinks there's too little progress.  (my understanding, at least). Then he DOESN'T want to quit....and then does.
When they finally replace all these guys their keyboardplayer quits because he wants to persue a classical carreer (?).
Yeah, I even think it's amazing this band still exists at all. Most people would probably have called it quits at that point. So all props to Daniel for keeping the ship going and continuing to create great music.  :tup

Are they really "this big"? I seriously doubt that. They are known in prog circles and even there they are not universally known or liked. Outside of that small niche I think nobody has ever heard of them. Maybe some in Sweden when Daniel took part in the european song contest. And I wonder how or if they can make a living with just this one band. Daniel as the main force and songwriter may get some royalties now and then, but the rest? And I think that this is one of the reasons, among others, the other members quit.

And they had a lot of setbacks they couldn't influence, like Daniel's disease, but I always had the feeling that they missed a lot of opportunities because of not being ready (to tour, to record, whatever) when the time arises. It is five years since Road Salt Two, what happened in between? And Daniel's US embargo may be morally important to him but didn't make things easier for the band.
No, they're not big at all really, they have said multiple times that at least in Sweden they're really small. It's outside of Sweden they make most of their money. And all of them, except for Daniel and possibly Ragnar, have regular jobs when they're not touring.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #2364 on: July 19, 2016, 06:01:47 AM »
Well even his own wife admits in the docu that Daniel is the ship's captain but isn't really fit to lead any ship, so...

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2365 on: July 19, 2016, 11:31:33 AM »
Oh and remember when Daniel refused to tour the US for years because they would take his fingerprints? Yeah, that must have been a set of interesting conversations between the members.

Offline peepeetipi

• Progressive Obsessive
  • Withdrawn and introverted, infectiously perverted
« Reply #2366 on: July 19, 2016, 12:28:53 PM »
Oh and remember when Daniel refused to tour the US for years because they would take his fingerprints? Yeah, that must have been a set of interesting conversations between the members.

I have a feeling it was, as he said in the doc of their conversations, him talking followed by silence lol. "Alright, so it's agreed!"

Really feel for the guys, Simon included, considering everything. Not a big fan of the Road Salt albums, but regardless of what you think of how they sound the effort put in does show. As a fan of a genre that has hardly any exposure, it's both a treat and affecting to be able to follow the clearly frustrating journey of an underground prog band, especially one of my favorites, and especially at this later stage in their history. I'm most curious to see how Fredrik's departure played out.
Peace is the love of a foe as a friend
Peace is the end like death of the war

Offline Pettor

« Reply #2367 on: July 22, 2016, 07:13:05 AM »
I love how Daniel always talk about the music being The Beatles and constantly reminding everyone that it's NOT progressive. Still they have songs that just screams progressive music (even if that genre is a bit vague). Thorn clown is progressive combined with some extra topping of progressive :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: July 24, 2016, 04:39:04 AM »
Finally got the remix and listening now.  I haven't listened to the original in quite a while so it's hard to compare, but this sounds nice.  Lots of atmosphere and still has the feel of the original.  Some songs seem to have been boosted a lot whereas some things are subtle in places.  The mix though itself is well done and breathes really well.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2369 on: July 27, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
Been on a 'late period POS' kick because of the Road Salt thread, and I've discovered that Scarsick doesn't suck NEARLY as much as I initially thought when it came out. By that point I had basically decided the band I loved since TPE1 died (the final death of?) and was replaced by aliens... but it was more like I hadn't developed taste for the areas they were trying out.

Particularly, I was shocked to learn of Scarsicker. This was only released in mp3 on their old webstore, right? Or so says MusicBrainz. Super interesting listen, though obviously the editing brutalizes way too much.

Scarsick highlights: Scarsick, Spitfall (5/5!), Cribcaged (5/5!), Disco Queen, Enter Rain

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2370 on: July 27, 2016, 01:35:34 PM »
I always liked Scarsick, and my opinion hasn't changed. Still ranks bottom half for me, but a solid album with some great songs.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2371 on: July 27, 2016, 01:55:43 PM »
Scarsick songs are mostly either quite good or terrible, but I never want to listen to the album as a whole

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2372 on: July 27, 2016, 02:15:17 PM »
I'm going to take this opportunity to listen to Scarsick, which may be their best album, thanks guys! :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2373 on: July 27, 2016, 02:20:19 PM »
I'm going to take this opportunity to listen to Scarsick, which may be their best album, thanks guys! :D
This is pure silliness, but at least we agree that BE is terrible.  ;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2374 on: July 27, 2016, 02:29:41 PM »
BE is great  :loser:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2375 on: July 27, 2016, 02:52:07 PM »
BE is by far their best album, it's not even close. (though TPE is still a strong contender)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2376 on: July 27, 2016, 02:55:17 PM »
BE is by far their best album

On opposite day. :biggrin:
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #2377 on: July 27, 2016, 03:05:56 PM »
BE is by far their best album

On opposite day. :biggrin:

Pff opposite day doesn't exist   :loser:

Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2378 on: July 27, 2016, 03:08:13 PM »
BE is by far their best album, it's not even close. (though TPE is still a strong contender)
I agree Be is their best, though I'd only put it slightly ahead of TPE.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2379 on: July 27, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »
HEY YOU KNOW WHAT WE SHOULD REALLY DO BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING THAT WE HAVE NEVER DONE BEFORE HOW ABOUT AN ALBUM RANKING

1. Remedy Lane
2. The Perfect Element
3. Entropia

4. One Hour By the Concrete Lake
5. Road Salt One / Road Salt Two

6. BE
7. Scarsick
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!