Author Topic: MuteMath  (Read 7804 times)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Re: MuteMath
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »
Sounds more Mutemath than any song out of Vitals. It's good, but I don't think i'll listen to it much often

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2017, 03:25:01 PM »
I've only heard a few MuteMath songs but seeing this thread I"m going to check out the first album in a little bit.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2017, 11:25:39 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/mutemath/photos/a.451137118011.234769.6647293011/10156511213308012/?type=3&theater

Original Member Darren King leaves and actually  bassist and original member Roy Cardenas-Mitchell also left back in May.

I wonder after the album release and tour, if some more things may happen i.e. either a hiatus, name change or something. Or they may go the Pain of Salvation route with Paul Meany and a bunch of new people. This drummer David Hutchinson did play with Paul along with Roy in Earthsuit for what that's worth. But he by no means is their drummer at this point, per that write-up from Paul.

From Paul Meany:

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2017, 05:04:59 AM »
Wow that sucks. I actually got into Mutemath by seeing a video of Darren playing drums. I wonder why he left.

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2017, 06:42:23 AM »
Hopefully this isn't the last we'll see of this extraordinary outfit.  Can't wait for 9-18!
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2018, 06:29:19 PM »
bump.

new EP "Voice in the Silence" coming out December 5th.

these videos are pretty sweet. Like sElf or Kimbra, Paul Meany is an amazing 1-man band!

Voice in the Silence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4kVKVmL-XI

EN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBN9yVgXU1M

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2018, 09:45:52 PM »
bump.

new EP "Voice in the Silence" coming out December 5th.

these videos are pretty sweet. Like sElf or Kimbra, Paul Meany is an amazing 1-man band!

Voice in the Silence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4kVKVmL-XI

EN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBN9yVgXU1M

Oh man if I had a setup like that I would never ever leave it. That looks like a blast. Watching videos of the song coming together is really enjoyable for me as well.

Unfortunately, I can't help but feel like the charm that lured me into MuteMath initially has faded with all the old members leaving. I miss that funky bass from Roy and those awesome drum beats from Darren King. These guys were on fire from 2005 - 2011. But, Paul Meany is so talented that I will still continue to check out the new stuff.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2018, 04:56:28 AM »
I feel the same way. The last album didn't resonate with me and I do feel this has become basically a Meany solo project. This new song has a couple of things that I really like so I'm hopeful this new album will be an upgrade from the last one
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2018, 04:56:45 PM »
Facebook Update

Hey everybody!

So I've decided to put out a new Mutemath EP that is dedicated to you, the tried and true. If you're reading this and are still around after everything that went down this past year, you have no idea what that means to me. Your dedication and support is downright humbling, borderline insane, (lol) and I love you all! So I wanted to cap off this year especially, by framing it in some music for us.

2018 will undoubtedly be an unforgettable year for me. When the new year rang in, I took it upon myself to re-imagine and perform a song from our last album just to see if I could. I dove into it as an experiment and wasn't sure where it might lead, but the song itself became a mantra for me and as the year went on I began to feel inclined to channel this experiment into something tangible. Specifically, I wanted to gather certain songs I'd written for Mutemath that hadn't been released but marked some special moments for me throughout the past 15 years. And I look forward to sharing more about the stories that surround these songs at a later time. But to get going, it just felt right that these particular stories be told in the context of a unique Mutemath project.

When I reflect on everything surrounding the release and touring of our last album, Play Dead, I realized I was in such a state of damage control, I never really got a chance to step back, clear my head and figure out how I needed to say goodbye to what was suddenly over. So this past year, I spent a lot of time soul searching, and I can say I've meaningfully accepted the loss of an era but wanted to make peace with it in my own way. I needed to move forward on my own terms and not feel it's just a reaction to circumstance or what people think I should do. So here it begins with this EP. And for those who like the deep cuts, there is an extended version just on vinyl coming that will have an additional 4 songs I'd love for you to experience solely in the "play a record while sippin on a cozy drink in a comfy chair" scenario. For me, it was great to uncover the time arc that spans through these songs, and I'm thrilled to share it with you as our own sort of musical photo album.

And lastly I want to point out that not only is this project intended to highlight the musical path we've gotten to share so far, but also serve as an invitation to join me for what's next. I have gradually been banking ideas for my new solo project 1PM which I'm stoked about and will continue to work on through next year. However my main focus and passion has become helping to support and empower the new tier of artists as a producer slash auxiliary collaborator guy.

For Mutemath, I've decided I will be the only one driving the creative process going forward and would like to afford it the flexibility of morphing with any collective of musicians that feel right for the moment. Although at this moment, I felt it needed to be just me. So all of this to say, lots of music to come in many forms. I'm excited about this new chapter and so grateful for all of you who are still here.

Mutemath has meant a lot to me, I'm proud of the work that came of it, and I don't feel the need to bury it and walk away. Just repack it, find a new compartment in the suitcase, and let it come with me in a revised form for the next part of my trip. I look forward to still seeing all of you and continuing the narrative we share through this music.

Much love everyone and have a great holiday season!
Paul

TL, DR

EP is coming, Mutemath isn't dead, but will be basically Paul's work alone at this point.

Paul has a new musical project called 1PM and will work as a producer/collaborator (which hopefully will be with better artists, than 21 Pilots).

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2018, 10:28:32 PM »
EP is coming, Mutemath isn't dead, but will be basically Paul's work alone at this point.
Bummer. I know there's been quite the shake up in the band's line up, but what happened exactly so that things fell apart, or has Paul (and/or the other guys) remained tight-lipped about the departures?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2018, 09:25:06 AM »
Bummer. I know there's been quite the shake up in the band's line up, but what happened exactly so that things fell apart, or has Paul (and/or the other guys) remained tight-lipped about the departures?

There's a podcast there with Darren King, their drummer from back in June. Sounds like their had been tensions in the band going back to their 2nd album, Armistice, which I recall was not an easy experience to make (songs being re-written and re-recorded).

https://www.reddit.com/r/mutemath/comments/7qjzyd/darren_king_on_your_favorite_band_podcast_talks_a/

It’s a good interview, and worth a listen. Sounds like he wanted to quit a while ago but stuck it out. Him and Paul still are not talking. Bad vibes actually started back on recording armistice. Songs took way too long to develop. Doesn’t miss the band (wishes them all the best), but couldn’t look at Instagram during the latest tour because that was his favorite part. Touring. Sounds like he just wanted to spend more time with his wife and kid.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2019, 11:15:40 AM »
bump.

they have a Photobook chronicling the bands history that you can already preorder

https://store.mutemath.com/products/657256-forever-we-remain-hardcover-book

also a short video that's related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S87ShBtfmOs

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2019, 05:10:43 PM »
That's really cool, I'm going to grab it for my buddy who loves mutemath.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2021, 07:47:26 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2022, 12:43:25 PM »
bump.

Darren King uploaded some new tracks under his name/project etc "DK the Drummer"

A Dagger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DjBpTCLtk0

Divided
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKC_O_gi8Bw

Get That Work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VuROVJiq5A

even though these are all quite different from Mutemath (or Sucre) and sort of in the Hip-Hop with jazzy elements vein, they are engaging enough.

edit: DIVIDED is awesome!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2022, 02:05:09 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2022, 06:22:45 AM »
"Play Dead Live"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj3jUyEOKeS/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CkJx4NROp4O/

Coming 10-31-22. On the five year anniversary of the last Mutemath show, I am releasing a sizeable portion of that show this Halloween! There will also be a YouTube premier Halloween night of a bootleg stream from the Chicago House Of Blues so you can re-live that night or witness it for the first time if you weren’t there. Stay tuned for more details. Happy Halloween! -Paul

Coming Monday 10-31-22. And this will be the first live album Mutemath has ever done that will be made available on vinyl. Pre Order’s will start next week along with some other treats, no tricks. 🎉👻

« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 06:28:09 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2023, 12:48:26 PM »
bump for vinyl collectors.

after what seemed like an eternity (weeks for date/time to arrive,10/27/23 1PM CST), and the store freezing/crashing countless x's within the last 41 mins.

I was able to pickup the rare MUTEMATH Self-Titled debut on Vinyl (+ not takeout a 2nd mortgage)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CxYj5A0OZfy/

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2023, 01:06:05 PM »
bump for vinyl collectors.

after what seemed like an eternity (weeks for date/time to arrive,10/27/23 1PM CST), and the store freezing/crashing countless x's within the last 41 mins.

I was able to pickup the rare MUTEMATH Self-Titled debut on Vinyl (+ not takeout a 2nd mortgage)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CxYj5A0OZfy/

fuck, sold out

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2024, 09:29:41 PM »
Such a shame that this band fizzled out. Don't understand what happened. They were awesome live.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2024, 09:39:08 PM »
I thought that there was some conflict around writing, but I don't even know if that's right.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2024, 03:25:32 AM »
Such a shame that this band fizzled out. Don't understand what happened. They were awesome live.

Yeah. I was lucky enough to get to see them once. And when I mean lucky I say that with the full meaning of the word. I had a whole trip planned around Europe which included a single night in Munich, and it just so happened that they had booked a date for that same night. When i realized that I immediately went and got tickets. Then, when I got to the venue it turned out it was closed and they had changed it to another one(they had informed me but the email was in German and I didn't pay attention  :facepalm:). We managed to still get to the other one before the concert started and honestly had one of the best live experiences in my life.
I just wish they would patch things up and go back to making some great and fun music, but I don't see that happening  :-\
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2024, 07:51:04 AM »
Yeah. I was lucky enough to get to see them once. And when I mean lucky I say that with the full meaning of the word. I had a whole trip planned around Europe which included a single night in Munich, and it just so happened that they had booked a date for that same night. When i realized that I immediately went and got tickets. Then, when I got to the venue it turned out it was closed and they had changed it to another one(they had informed me but the email was in German and I didn't pay attention  :facepalm:). We managed to still get to the other one before the concert started and honestly had one of the best live experiences in my life.
I just wish they would patch things up and go back to making some great and fun music, but I don't see that happening  :-\

the 7 times I saw them, all 7 shows were unbelievable. They were a can't miss, standout live band. Paul did crowd surfing and these incredibly group drumjams made their shows so fun.