The Oasis Thread.

Started by Kotowboy, December 15, 2010, 10:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hefdaddy42

Quote from: King Postwhore on August 28, 2024, 04:08:56 PMI remember that whole MTV Unplugged thing too he was a dick at that point.
What do you mean "at that point"
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

King Postwhore

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on August 29, 2024, 06:42:15 AMWhat do you mean "at that point"

I only heard interviews where he was a dick.  Then I saw the Unplugged and saw that he was a dick to his bandmates.  I didn't know that at the time.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

ReaperKK

Quote from: King Postwhore on August 28, 2024, 04:08:56 PMI remember that whole MTV Unplugged thing too he was a dick at that point.

Didn't he refuse to do the show but sat in the audience while Noel did the whole show?

King Postwhore

Yup.  What a terrible look and not good for the brand.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Stadler

Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 07:10:35 AMDidn't he refuse to do the show but sat in the audience while Noel did the whole show?

Yes, and heckled.

Stadler

Quote from: King Postwhore on August 29, 2024, 07:17:02 AMYup.  What a terrible look and not good for the brand.

And that's it, really. I'm of two minds on this; one side thinks it's funny, and it's a piece of evidence that they were always just two Manc lads dealing with each other and that they just don't give a flick what anyone thinks about them.  Part of me thinks it's not really fair to insert how we would act - or want our bandmates to act - on their gig.

On the other side, when you get to be that big, it's not about you any more.  Like Bon Jovi says (sort of crassly, but he's right): he stopped being a "singer" and a "rock star" a long time ago and now he's the CEO of a corporation.  A corporation that has to pay roadies and techs and accountants and merchandise suppliers and lawyers and secretaries...  the other part of me thinks it's not really fair for Liam (especially) and Noel to fuck with people's livelihoods like that.

I still don't know where I fall on that.

Zantera

Liam always seemed arrogant but even with Noel you can read stories about him joining the band and telling the others basically "do what I say and play the songs I write as I tell you to, and we will become huge". There was a level of arrogance and confidence there that you rarely find in new bands. Then you take the fame they got from the first 2 albums (they were being hyped up as bigger than The Beatles by their fans) and you add a mixture of drugs, alcohol and it's no wonder things turned out the way they did.

Stadler

I have a mad crush on Noel in that way.  I love his confidence, and in interviews he comes off as so personable and affable and content in his place.  But I get that it's a fine line. If Thom Yorke said all the same things I'd be like "but bro, your music blows chunks.  Get a mirror and look in it."  I just so happen to LIKE a ton of Oasis stuff (even the b-sides; I have entire "albums" on my iPod of all their b-sides), so when Noel says he's the best British songwriter of his generation or whatever, I'm like "yeah, I can see that."

Zantera

I find Noel really entertaining to listen to and i've watched several of those videos on youtube where he talks about their albums (for the anniversaries) and its fun to hear him talk about how songs were written. I also find it interesting how different him and Liam sound, Liam almost sounds like a parody of someone mocking the Manchester accent but Noel is more articulate and well spoken. I also get a chuckle from every time a sentence ends with "Y'know what i mean?".  :lol

Stadler

Quote from: Dave_Manchester on August 28, 2024, 03:24:52 PMIf anyone hasn't seen it, this fan-made documentary shows just what an absolute nightmare Liam was at the height of their fame. This is the story of the 2 gigs that were filmed and released as the Familiar To Millions CD, and which Liam went out of his way to sabotage at every step. Start from the 15 minute mark for the car crash live footage. One of the innumerable ways he found to fuck up the planned live release was to insert tonnes of swearing into the lyrics ("Have some fucking drugs and die!") or to miss out random words.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=q9iMGLKfLpo

From that video:

After 45 minutes of basically insane ranting about his (soon to be) ex-wife Patsy,
Liam: "Noelly G is more of a pisshead than I am... ever been!"
Noel: "And wouldn't that take some believing, eh? Eh?"

Haha.

dparrott

Oasis was my #2 band behind Blur in the 90s, what a great time! 

I love BHN and they fell off after that, mainly because of Liam's voice wore out.  It was so bad on DBTT, came back a bit on DOYS.

I think Oasis saw Blur's recent success at Wembley and said "right, we can do that!" 

DoctorAction

There's a lot of coverage in the UK media about the "surge"/"dynamic" pricing used for these shows.

For example, face value of tickets was about £150 each. Fans queued for 5 hours or so, and when they finally got to the front and had the opportunity to buy the price had gone up to about £300 each.

I already think tickets are too expensive for big bands. Didn't bother seeing Pearl Jam this year due to price. Sure, if there's a big Taylor Swift or Muse style production aspect it could be worth it. But I'm much happier seeing bands like Everything Everything and The Night Flight Orchestra for about £30 in a small venue.

But dynamic pricing? That's pretty disgusting, imo.

Zydar

Apparently Noel has written a "loud stadium rock" album as a solo artist, and it's just sitting waiting for a release. Maybe Liam can add vocals to it and they released it as Oasis? 

nobloodyname

I read somewhere that it's going to be Noel's band plus Liam on vocals. No idea how true that is but if so, you might as well do exactly as you've said.
"I'm not just liking Dream Theater to get in your pants."

Zantera

Quote from: nobloodyname on September 02, 2024, 09:33:15 AMI read somewhere that it's going to be Noel's band plus Liam on vocals. No idea how true that is but if so, you might as well do exactly as you've said.

Isn't Bonehead strongly rumored to be in there too?

Zydar

I heard it's Bonehead, Gem Archer, and Chris Sharrock (plus Noel and Liam). Don't know if Gem is doing the bass or if they get the bass player from High Flying Birds. 

Dave_Manchester

I'll be very surprised if Noel doesn't invite Bonehead along. He's been through a hellish time recently with cancer (declared cancer free a couple of years ago) and it'd be a great way to celebrate his return to health.

WilliamMunny

Quote from: Dave_Manchester on September 02, 2024, 11:51:50 AMI'll be very surprised if Noel doesn't invite Bonehead along. He's been through a hellish time recently with cancer (declared cancer free a couple of years ago) and it'd be a great way to celebrate his return to health.

That'd be a real nice bookend to their saga!

Stadler

Didn't Bonehead play a key role in the "thawing" of the relationship?  He's also playing with Liam, no?

El Barto

Brace yourself for another Ticketmaster "Scandal." This won't be Taylor Swift level fuckery, but I do suspect get-ins will be starting at $300. When US dates go onsale I'll certainly queue up to grab a pair. On the off chance I can get two for face value it's pretty much free money. Still, the fact that this continues to happen really is bullshit.

MirrorMask

Quote from: DoctorAction on September 02, 2024, 06:23:21 AMThere's a lot of coverage in the UK media about the "surge"/"dynamic" pricing used for these shows.

For example, face value of tickets was about £150 each. Fans queued for 5 hours or so, and when they finally got to the front and had the opportunity to buy the price had gone up to about £300 each.

Shouldn't this be... illegal and prosecuted to the full extent of the law? how such a thing is even allowed to exist?

Imagine wanting to eat at a fancy restaurant, there are many bookings and by the time there's a table free for you, the steak price has gone up 150%. Concert tickets should have a fixed price with the only variations depending on the specific part of the venue / stadium (standing, first ring, second far ring etc...).

El Barto

Quote from: MirrorMask on September 04, 2024, 08:09:09 AMShouldn't this be... illegal and prosecuted to the full extent of the law? how such a thing is even allowed to exist?
This has been gone over in the Ticketmaster thread, but the short version is that it's allowing the bands (and TM) to make the money that scalpers had been making. Bands are essentially scalping their own tickets. It's hard to fault them for that, but it's really something that could easily be dealt with with a couple of simple rules.

Also, I'm surprised that people in the UK get to see an actual face value. There's no such thing over here. The only price you'll ever see is whatever they're charging at that particular time.

QuoteImagine wanting to eat at a fancy restaurant, there are many bookings and by the time there's a table free for you, the steak price has gone up 150%. Concert tickets should have a fixed price with the only variations depending on the specific part of the venue / stadium (standing, first ring, second far ring etc...).
Coming soon to a grocery store near you! I think it was Safeway that was looking into digital shelf tags so they can implement this. Next time a plague hits and there's a run on toilet paper they can adjust the price upwards.

TAC

Quote from: El Barto on September 04, 2024, 08:53:58 AMComing soon to a grocery store near you! I think it was Safeway that was looking into digital shelf tags so they can implement this. Next time a plague hits and there's a run on toilet paper they can adjust the price upwards.

Kroger just admitted to doing just that on milk and eggs.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Stadler

Quote from: MirrorMask on September 04, 2024, 08:09:09 AMShouldn't this be... illegal and prosecuted to the full extent of the law? how such a thing is even allowed to exist?

Imagine wanting to eat at a fancy restaurant, there are many bookings and by the time there's a table free for you, the steak price has gone up 150%. Concert tickets should have a fixed price with the only variations depending on the specific part of the venue / stadium (standing, first ring, second far ring etc...).

Ugh, more laws and rules and government.  No thank you.  Yeah, it blows, but this is a thing just about everywhere else (anyone buy a flight or a hotel lately?).   

Why should it be illegal?   Just asking...

DoctorAction

I'm up for more laws and rules in many areas, including this one. I want my government to lead and govern, and feel letting "anything go" is just allowing the wealthiest and most powerful to take the piss.

Having said that, I've not read the TM thread and realise this is quite the political/world view statement. :)

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Stadler on August 28, 2024, 10:16:49 AMWhat would a discussion be without a list?   Of course I'll give you a list!

(What's the Story) Morning Glory? (1995)
Be Here Now (1997)
Definitely Maybe (1994)
Dig Out Your Soul (2008)

Standing on the Shoulder of Giants (2000)

Heathen Chemistry (2002)
Don't Believe the Truth (2005)

I... think... this is my ranking as well, though I remember like SotSoG a LOT when I listened to it, so It might be up there with the other four for me. DOYS was a really good album to go out on.

I'm not going to hold my breath for new music to come out of this. They're just tolerating each other long enough to make a ton of money off of a tour.

Personally, I don't really feel anything here or there about the reunion. I love every album I've heard from High Flying Birds, and I enjoyed Liam's first solo record from 2017 (haven't heard the 2019 or 2022 albums, Beady Eye neither b/c I heard that was bad.).

Zydar

I'll always have Morning Glory as my #1, it started my Oasis journey when I got it for Christmas in 1995. Definitely Maybe is a classic debut of course, but I think the songs are even better on Morning Glory. The whole 90s was just brilliant with that band. 

(What's The Story) Morning Glory
Definitely Maybe
Be Here Now
Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants
Don't Believe The Truth
Heathen Chemistry
Dig Out Your Soul (it's not a bad album at all, the others are just better)

MirrorMask

Quote from: Stadler on September 05, 2024, 06:18:42 AMUgh, more laws and rules and government.  No thank you.  Yeah, it blows, but this is a thing just about everywhere else (anyone buy a flight or a hotel lately?).  Why should it be illegal?  Just asking...

Why the same "product" should have a different price? if we're both standing in the middle-to-left of the arena, why "my" ticket is 150£ and "yours" is 350? we're literally standing next to each other.

And flight and hotels prices vary depending on the demand. In summer a flight is more requested so it costs more. Yes, the destination is the same, what is not the same is going there in the off season when nothing's happening and the weather sucks, and going there in summer with a lot of people going.

But a concert is the same experience. On that specific day of the concert purchased, the event is the same for everyone, and everyone in a general area of the venue should pay the same.

Which other same-experience situation gets a dynamic pricing? do we pay the same meal at the same restaurant by the same chef on the same night vastly different? do we pay the same haircut more depending on the queue? on a specific day where the gas has a certain price, do the price at the same station for the same amount of fuel varies depending on how many cars are queueing? even when there's a book event with the author and you can purchase a signed copy, I don't think that a guy pays the book 20 dollars and the last guy in the queue pays it 80. I never heard of "dynamic pricing" either for albums from musicians, I don't think it ever happened that, depending on the massive demand of online orders, the very same format of an album costs 15 dollars for a guy and 45 for the next.

Stadler

Quote from: DoctorAction on September 06, 2024, 06:02:45 AMI'm up for more laws and rules in many areas, including this one. I want my government to lead and govern, and feel letting "anything go" is just allowing the wealthiest and most powerful to take the piss.

Having said that, I've not read the TM thread and realise this is quite the political/world view statement. :)
Quote from: Nel_Annette on September 06, 2024, 06:13:27 AMI... think... this is my ranking as well, though I remember like SotSoG a LOT when I listened to it, so It might be up there with the other four for me. DOYS was a really good album to go out on.

I'm not going to hold my breath for new music to come out of this. They're just tolerating each other long enough to make a ton of money off of a tour.

Personally, I don't really feel anything here or there about the reunion. I love every album I've heard from High Flying Birds, and I enjoyed Liam's first solo record from 2017 (haven't heard the 2019 or 2022 albums, Beady Eye neither b/c I heard that was bad.).

You do you, but I LOVE the first HFB's record, and yet, Liam's "Why Me? Why Not." may be the best post-Oasis record that either brother did.  If nothing else, it's worth a listen.  I'm not keen on Beady Eye either, to be honest, but I like the first two of Liam's solo records (the last isn't my cuppa cuppa).  I also dig both of Liam's live records... wait, he has three, so the first two, the MTV Unplugged and the River Thames releases.

Zydar

Stadler

Given Liam, though, that could mean almost anything.  :) :) :) :) :)

I did hear (maybe it was here) that Noel DID write an album that was a lot more "Oasis-like" than his recent stuff, and maybe Liam put some vocals down on that.  Or maybe Liam is just taking the piss.  :) :) :)

Dave_Manchester

Couple of nice interview clips with Noel about the pressure he felt after the first 2 albums and how it affected his songwriting abilities.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nHpU7pNNOcI

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cVBwXwVEw-w

BrickGlass

Rumor has it they may be coming to play some bigger cities in the U.S. I'd truly love to see them live. Doubt I'll be able to pull it off if they do come over here, but I'd try and make it work.

DoctorAction

Quote from: Dave_Manchester on September 22, 2024, 03:03:10 AMCouple of nice interview clips with Noel about the pressure he felt after the first 2 albums and how it affected his songwriting abilities.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nHpU7pNNOcI

Ha. That was great, actually. " When is this going to end? I need a holiday. And a hug!"