Author Topic: Kamelot  (Read 154816 times)

Offline RuRoRul

Re: Kamelot
« Reply #245 on: June 22, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
On one hand - fantastic news. I mainly like the albums Epica and The Black Halo but I like individual songs from some other albums, so would be looking forward to any new Kamelot music anyway, but even moreso if it has one of my favourite singers. He's phenomenal in Seventh Wonder, and the videos of him singing Centre Of The Universe on Kamelot's tour after Roy left was amazing.

On the other hand, anything that would delay more Seventh Wonder music isn't too good  :-\ Plenty of bands balance having members in other projects though so hopefully this will be one of those times.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: June 22, 2012, 06:37:11 PM »
He's phenomenal in Seventh Wonder

Phenomenal isn't even the word. His voice could cure cancer.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #247 on: June 22, 2012, 06:42:23 PM »

If he, Russell Allen and Michael Eriksen sang together, they could cure every disease ever.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: June 22, 2012, 06:50:59 PM »
AMob Russell, yes.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: June 22, 2012, 06:51:11 PM »
:neverusethis:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #250 on: June 22, 2012, 06:55:58 PM »
:getoffmylawn:

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #251 on: June 22, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »
Hmm I might have a reason to listen to these guys a bit more now. Karevik is like, THE vocalist.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #252 on: June 22, 2012, 07:34:13 PM »
As long as it doesn't mess with SW too much.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #253 on: June 23, 2012, 08:15:09 PM »

:lol Too true.

I was thrilled, but somewhat surprised by the news. I hope it doesn't interfere too much with Seventh Wonder stuff. 'Cause honestly, if I had to pick one outcome or the other, I'd rather see him stick with SW.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: June 24, 2012, 02:50:04 AM »
Good choice.  Mercy Falls and Great Escape are both amazing albums and he has one hell of a voice.

Khan who? ....er.... Roy who? 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Kosmo

« Reply #255 on: June 24, 2012, 04:20:27 AM »
That's a really good choice. It's going to sound odd at first hearing him sing Kamelot-classics but I think if anyone can pull it off it's this guy.

I still prefer Khan as a vocalist but this makes me excited for the new album.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #256 on: June 24, 2012, 05:25:57 AM »
No one can replace Khan, but this dude is definitely high on the list of people I was hoping Kamelot would talk to. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: June 24, 2012, 10:29:58 AM »
I am not familiar with Seventh Wonder so i checked them out on YouTube and they seem pretty good. Karevik seems like a solid singer and this (Eden echo) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kml68E9pm0k&feature=youtube_gdata_player is awesome. He gives off a similar vibe to Khan. After being down in the dumps with Kamelot, I'm really excited for the new album and to see them open for Nightwish.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #258 on: June 24, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »
I checked the band out and neither the music neither the singer stand out to me. Sure he has nice range but his voice just sounds boring to me.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #259 on: June 26, 2012, 09:46:03 AM »
Good choice.  Mercy Falls and Great Escape are both amazing albums and he has one hell of a voice.

Khan who? ....er.... Roy who?

I'll take Khan anytime over Karevik.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #260 on: June 26, 2012, 10:29:35 AM »
I'm firmly in the "I hope this doesn't interfere with Seventh Wonder" camp myself. Never really got into Kamelot too much, despite being primed to be a fan of their style by my interests. Never could figure out why, since they were great at what they did, but it never really clicked with me.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: June 29, 2012, 07:50:03 AM »
I'm firmly in the "I hope this doesn't interfere with Seventh Wonder" camp myself. Never really got into Kamelot too much, despite being primed to be a fan of their style by my interests. Never could figure out why, since they were great at what they did, but it never really clicked with me.

Same here  :-\

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #262 on: June 29, 2012, 02:22:56 PM »
Wow, I was totally unfamiliar with this guy, and now I'm super excited that Kamelot is opening for Nightwish on the upcoming tour.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline adace

« Reply #263 on: July 19, 2012, 02:00:08 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: July 19, 2012, 05:52:11 AM »
Well the album was announced a bit back, but the release date has now been pushed back a month. I found it interesting that Casey admitted to not liking poetry for the poisoned. I bet that album had left a very bad taste in their mouth. It took them a very long time to make and then after its release Kahn quits. They didn't play many of the songs on their tour either. So its not a surprise but you don't hear band members admit they made a bad album.

Anyway, I'm really pumped for the new album, sounding more like karma and the black halo is a great thing and I'm really liking karevik so far.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #265 on: July 19, 2012, 09:00:57 AM »
Glad he did, though. I didn't like Poetry for the Poisoned, either - found it very bland, and with Khan quitting just after, I was basically finished with Kamelot. They'd reached the end of their natural life, for me.

If they're not happy with the album either, though, then that clearly means that Kamelot are still sensitive to whatever it is that makes Kamelot Kamelot, and even if I am unsatisfied with a new album, I'm at least unlikely to be unsatisfied in the same way twice.

My ears have pricked! I'm ready to be impressed again by a band I thought I'd amicably moved on from.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #266 on: July 19, 2012, 09:31:57 AM »
Tommy wrote most of the vocal melodies on the album? A keyboard ballad where Tommy's performance gave goosebumps? More like The Black Halo? Concept album? Admits Poetry For The Poisoned was a dud and thinks new album is back on track?

Obviously it's no guarantee of quality since people say things like that all the time and the album can still go either way, but I think I'll be looking forward to this more than I thought was possible for a Kamelot album.

I like how honest and forthcoming Oliver Palotai is there. It's not often a member of a band will say anything negative about an album (unless it's in the distant past) - whether you agree with his opinion on Poetry or not, at least he appears to be willing to admit it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #267 on: July 19, 2012, 09:45:06 AM »
I've been in love with Tommy's voice for two years now and I started screaming with joy when I saw the news. I adore Kamelot and I was pretty heartbroken when Roy left, but as far as replacements go, this was the best possible choice. I doubt this will interfere much with SW because they don't have an active live schedule - if anything, more people have heard of them now and this can only be a good thing for them as it stands today.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #268 on: July 19, 2012, 01:34:41 PM »
I actually slightly preferred Poetry for the Poisoned to Ghost Opera, but yeah both were a little underwhelming compared to the three previous albums. Interesting to hear him admit that and suggest that the band are back on track!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #269 on: July 19, 2012, 01:37:24 PM »
Am I the only guy who liked Poetry?

I really didn't like 80% of Ghost Opera, but I liked Poetry a bit. The last batch of songs were boring, but I liked the first half at least quite a bit.

It's also ironic if Casey didn't like it since it probably has his best drummer to date.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: July 19, 2012, 01:38:41 PM »
I liked a bunch of songs on FTP but the album overall was subpar

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #271 on: July 19, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »

I really didn't like 80% of Ghost Opera, but I liked Poetry a bit. The last batch of songs were boring, but I liked the first half at least quite a bit.
Yeah this is basically my opinion as well. The album starts really well and I thought it was going to be a great return to form, but then it gets a bit dull in the second half.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: July 19, 2012, 03:41:26 PM »
Poetry grew on me quite a bit in the end.  It was a grower, but definitely still nothing special.  Ghost Opera is meh IMO.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #273 on: July 19, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
Poetry was a particularly unexciting album, and its a shame that it is Khan's swan song. The clip of the new song they performed live sounds like a much needed improvement. Honestly, if this album doesn't blow me away, that's pretty much it for me. They have to prove that they can write music as good as the stuff on Karma and Black Halo.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: July 20, 2012, 06:08:02 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWWQoAPrq7I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

A live performance of the new song "sacrimony " it sounds good, although the audio isn't the best. Sounds very similar to a Kahn vocaled Kamelot.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: July 20, 2012, 06:31:16 AM »
Honestly, if this album doesn't blow me away, that's pretty much it for me. They have to prove that they can write music as good as the stuff on Karma and Black Halo.

Unfortunately, I feel the same.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #276 on: July 20, 2012, 09:15:52 AM »
I really liked Poetry for the Poisoned.  I think it's one of their best.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Kosmo

« Reply #277 on: July 20, 2012, 09:19:31 AM »
I really liked it at first but it wore out so fast for me, if I attempted to listen to the whole thing now I'd lose interest about four tracks in.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #278 on: July 20, 2012, 06:57:19 PM »
I really liked it at first but it wore out so fast for me, if I attempted to listen to the whole thing now I'd lose interest about four tracks in.
Yeah, me too.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #279 on: July 20, 2012, 09:02:11 PM »
This is the first and only bit of Kamelot I've listened to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuk0fBZbJkE

It's quite an awesome tune, goes without saying Simone sounds great but I really like that dude's voice! May have to check out some of their other stuff. :)