Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 554966 times)

Online The Letter M

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #4235 on: April 15, 2020, 07:13:24 PM »
I agree with you! I love ? and have always thought he should do another album like that.

He did, it was called The Whirlwind - same number of tracks, too!  :lol ;)

But yeah, as a solo album, it really stands out, so I have high hopes for this new one, whatever it'll be called. Maybe he'll respond to ? with !

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4236 on: April 16, 2020, 11:31:05 AM »
I signed up for 'Waterfall' today. I have near all the CD's and 'hard copy' of Neal and Co's music, but I thought that having everything in one spot and easily accessible would be nice. Plus, there are some other artists on there I've never heard of so I might discover some new music I like. I want to support these guys as much as possible. I don't think they'll be making much $$ over the next 8-12 months. It's only $7 a month anyway. I can swing that for now.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4237 on: April 26, 2020, 10:19:09 AM »
I assume this is the thread for The Neal Morse Band...

I bought The Great Adventure today. Holy cow! It's incredible!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4238 on: April 26, 2020, 10:22:48 AM »
It sure is!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DTA

« Reply #4239 on: April 26, 2020, 10:31:52 AM »
Listened to TGA for the first time in months a few days ago and it’s an extremely strong album. I still think the Love That Never Dies theme is heavily overused but that’s about the extent of my criticism.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4240 on: April 26, 2020, 12:18:11 PM »
I assume this is the thread for The Neal Morse Band...

I bought The Great Adventure today. Holy cow! It's incredible!
Now you got to see the live dvd of that tour, it's awesome!    :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #4241 on: April 27, 2020, 02:12:32 AM »
There's a 71-minute video on Youtube showcasing the album's musical themes and their recurrences. One of the ones that grabbed me was what I later realized was the instrumental break in Welcome to the World (immediately after the 2nd chorus). It comes back multiple times, both in the minor and the major. One of the more significant appearances is Mike Portnoy's chorus to Fighting With Destiny.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4242 on: April 27, 2020, 09:14:08 AM »
There's a 71-minute video on Youtube showcasing the album's musical themes and their recurrences. One of the ones that grabbed me was what I later realized was the instrumental break in Welcome to the World (immediately after the 2nd chorus). It comes back multiple times, both in the minor and the major. One of the more significant appearances is Mike Portnoy's chorus to Fighting With Destiny.

Found the link in case anyone wanted to watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCYkpd9hu

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4243 on: April 27, 2020, 09:47:47 AM »

Found the link in case anyone wanted to watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCYkpd9hu

-Marc.

Video Unavailable

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4244 on: April 27, 2020, 09:51:17 AM »
Bummer, was looking forward to checking that out.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Mladen

« Reply #4245 on: April 27, 2020, 09:52:16 AM »
Same here.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4246 on: April 27, 2020, 10:16:02 AM »
https://youtu.be/hCYkpd9hu40

Try this. Sorry about that, I may have copied it wrong.

They also did an analysis of TSOAD, link in that video's comments.

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4247 on: April 27, 2020, 10:32:14 AM »
From Neal's FB:
"Cutting strings on my new solo album AND the new Transatlantic today! The Kleins plus Jo. Sounding great so far! Oh , and here’s a pic!"

-Looks like things are moving along for both albums!

-Marc.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4248 on: May 04, 2020, 12:13:08 PM »
Morsefest 2020 announcement coming next Friday

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #4249 on: May 04, 2020, 12:35:17 PM »
If they're in any way concerned about safety, we all know what it should be.

------

Anyway, The Great Adventure is a staggeringly brilliant album! I'm blown away by how easily the tunes have lodged themselves in my head.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4250 on: May 04, 2020, 06:43:22 PM »
If this is about Morsefest, given what Neal said last week in his Inner Circle email, I suspect it will be a virtual online deal since he all but ruled out doing like in the past (since concert gatherings this year are unwise to plan).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4251 on: May 05, 2020, 08:02:49 AM »
I'll post this here as well:

Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy & Randy George are pleased to announce their return to the Cover To Cover series of albums with ‘Cov3r To Cov3r’, the brand new third instalment. Featuring their renditions of classic tracks by the likes of King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Gerry Rafferty, David Bowie & more (including their cover of ‘No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed’ featuring vocals from Yes singer Jon Davison), the album will be released on the 24th July as CD, Gatefold 2LP + CD & as Digital Album.
As well as this, the ‘Cover To Cover Anthology (Vol. 1 – 3)’ will be re-leased on the same day, collecting all 3 instalments together over 3 discs. The first two albums have also been newly re-sequenced and remastered, and will also be available on all digital services. All the albums have also been given brand new artwork, created by Thomas Ewerhard (Sons of Apollo, The Neal Morse Band, Avantasia).
Mike Portnoy comments: “Well, here we are...Cover To Cover Volume 3! Been looking forward to finally doing another one of these as I absolutely love the first two we did!
In fact, these Cover To Cover albums are some of my favorite albums in my catalog and are always the CDs I give to family and friends to enjoy.
Mainly because they help show the music that helped shape myself, Neal and Randy. Everybody expects the obvious Prog classics (or in my case some of the more metal stuff), but the range of artists on these Cover To Cover albums as just as important ingredients!
I hope you enjoy listening to them as much as we did recording them!
MP 2020”

any rock can be made to roll

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4252 on: May 05, 2020, 08:03:40 AM »
Morse, Portnoy, George return with ‘Cov3r To Cov3r’ & ‘Cover To Cover Anthology’

Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy & Randy George are pleased to announce their return to the Cover To Cover series of albums with ‘Cov3r To Cov3r’, the brand new third installment. Featuring their renditions of classic tracks by the likes of King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Badfinger, David Bowie & more (including their cover of ‘No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed’ featuring vocals from Yes singer Jon Davison), the album will be released on the 24th July as CD, Gatefold 2LP + CD & as Digital Album via Inside Out Music

As well as this, the ‘Cover To Cover Anthology (Vol. 1 – 3)’ will be released on the same day, collecting all 3 instalments together over 3 discs. The first two albums have also been newly re-sequenced and remastered, and will also be available on all digital services. All the albums have also been given brand new artwork, created by Thomas Ewerhard (Sons of Apollo, The Neal Morse Band, Avantasia).

Mike Portnoy comments: “Well, here we are...Cover To Cover Volume 3! Been looking forward to finally doing another one of these as I absolutely love the first two we did!

In fact, these Cover To Cover albums are some of my favorite albums in my catalog and are always the CDs I give to family and friends to enjoy.

Mainly because they help show the music that helped shape myself, Neal and Randy. Everybody expects the obvious Prog classics (or in my case some of the more metal stuff), but the range of artists on these Cover To Cover albums as just as important ingredients!

I hope you enjoy listening to them as much as we did recording them!
- MP 2020”

The full track-listing for all 3 Cover To Cover volumes is below

Cover To Cover:
1. Where The Streets Have No Name (U2)
2. I’m The Man (Joe Jackson)
3. What Is Life? (George Harrison)
4. Badge (Cream)
5. Maybe I’m Amazed (Paul McCartney)
6. Day After Day (Badfinger)
7. Pleasant Valley Sunday (The Monkees)
8. Tuesday Afternoon (The Moody Blues)
9. Can’t Find My Way Home (Blind Faith)
10. I’m Free / Sparks (The Who)
11. Where Do The Children Play (Cat Stevens)
12. Feelin’ Stronger Everyday (Chicago)
13. Rock N Roll Suicide (David Bowie)

Cover 2 Cover:
1. (What's So Funny About) Peace, Love & Understanding (Elvis Costello)
2. Lido Shuffle (Boz Scaggs)
3. Crazy Horses (The Osmonds)
4. Driven To Tears (The Police)
5. Come Sail Away (Styx)
6. Rikki Don’t Lose That Number (Steely Dan)
7. Lemons Never Forget (The Bee Gees)
8. The Letter (Joe Cocker)
9. I Saw The Light (Todd Rundgren)
10. Teacher (Jethro Tull)
11. Southern Man/Needle And The Damage Done/Cinnamon Girl (Neil Young)
12. Starless (King Crimson)

Cov3r To Cov3r:
1. No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed (Yes)
2. Hymn 43 (Jethro Tull)
3. Life On Mars (David Bowie)
4. Baker Street (Gerry Rafferty)
5. It Don’t Come Easy (Ringo Starr)
6. Baby Blue (Badfinger)
7. One More Red Nightmare (King Crimson)
8. Black Coffee In Bed (Squeeze)
9. Tempted (Squeeze)
10. Runnin’ Down A Dream (Tom Petty)
11. Let Love Rule (Lenny Kravitz)

Pre-order info as well as music videos coming soon!

-----

I had a feeling this was what Mike tracked drums to after he finished his TA5 drum parts last fall and drummed for a "secret" album.

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4253 on: May 05, 2020, 08:06:55 AM »
Not a very compelling track listing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4254 on: May 05, 2020, 08:07:11 AM »
The artwork of CTC3 is really good. And also anthology cover.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4255 on: May 05, 2020, 08:10:32 AM »
In my opinion, they should have called it Covid to Covid
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4256 on: May 05, 2020, 08:15:52 AM »
If they are going to cover the Bowie classic, they should at least get the title correct in the press release. :P

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4257 on: May 05, 2020, 08:18:36 AM »
I'm only interested in hearing Baker Street.

I think Running Down A Dream would actually sound good with these guys. I can hear them doing the melodies now.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4258 on: May 05, 2020, 09:05:51 AM »
I kinda like that tracklist.  Can do without the Lenny Kravitz (the song, not the artist), the Tom Petty (the artist not the song) or the second Squeeze tune (only because it's the second; I'm dying to hear Black Coffee...).  I feel like I'm going to get into the habit of cutting it off after song 9. 

It's their album, though, and their influences, not mine.   :)

Online Mladen

« Reply #4259 on: May 05, 2020, 09:19:22 AM »
In my opinion, they should have called it Covid to Covid
Gotta give it up for this one.  :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4260 on: May 05, 2020, 12:06:50 PM »
Love Neal. Have no interest in this though. There were a few good tunes from the first couple of cover albums but nothings jumps off this new one for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4261 on: May 05, 2020, 12:10:46 PM »
Love Neal. Have no interest in this though. There were a few good tunes from the first couple of cover albums but nothings jumps off this new one for me.

I never bought the first two cover albums either (and I usually try to buy almost everything Neal releases from the studio, except for the worship albums).  They just felt like albums I would listen to once or twice and then never again.  If I am in the mood for Neal, I have like 333 albums of original material from which to choose, and if I want to hear the songs that are covered, I can just go for the originals.

Online faizoff

« Reply #4262 on: May 05, 2020, 12:35:26 PM »
I don't mind the album of covers, they tend to kind of have a life of their own with the band's signature.

On another unrelated note, how do you guys tag the two phases of the music of Neal Morse, everything since The Grand Experiment is offiically tagged as The Neal Morse Band  but me personally I have everything labeled as Neal Morse. I have all the releases under one folder as well.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4263 on: May 05, 2020, 01:03:07 PM »
I think I had them all under "Neal Morse" at one point, but as the NMB has kept making albums, I changed all of theirs to "Neal Morse Band." All of Neal's solo stuff, including Life + Times and The Exorcist, is still under "Neal Morse."  And of course Spock's, Transatlantic and Flying Colors are all listed accordingly per their band names. 

Offline 425

« Reply #4264 on: May 05, 2020, 01:04:03 PM »
I tag it based on the artist name listed. So I would say there are currently seven widely-distributed releases under the artist name "The Neal Morse Band": TGE, TSOAD, TGA, their accompanying live releases, and Morsefest 2017. All the rest are "Neal Morse."

The only releases where it gets sort of dicey, in my book, are the three Morsefest releases (2014, 2015 and 2017). There, the lineup is the NMB lineup, performing (at least on 2015 and 2017) a mixture of music originally released under both artist headings. But there I still stick with what it says on the artwork (which also matches the current sorting on the Radiant Records website): 2014 and 2015 are "Neal Morse," and 2017 is "The Neal Morse Band."
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #4265 on: May 05, 2020, 02:19:04 PM »
The only releases where it gets sort of dicey, in my book, are the three Morsefest releases (2014, 2015 and 2017). There, the lineup is the NMB lineup, performing (at least on 2015 and 2017) a mixture of music originally released under both artist headings. But there I still stick with what it says on the artwork (which also matches the current sorting on the Radiant Records website): 2014 and 2015 are "Neal Morse," and 2017 is "The Neal Morse Band."
I decided to tag Morsefest 2014 and 2015 as NMB in my collection, since it was the band that was actually playing the material on all 3 of the releases.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4266 on: May 05, 2020, 03:30:18 PM »
All my Non-TA, Non-FC Neal music is under one folder, titled "Morse, Neal" (as I do last names first for easy finding in my Master Music Folder). In that folder, I have several folders: 0.5 - Demos, 1.0 - Studio Albums, 1.5 - EPs, Compilations & Other Albums, 2.0 - Official Live Albums, 3.0 - Inner Circle Fan Club Discs, 4.0 - Unofficial & Other Albums.

The Demos folder is pretty self-explanatory, and I've recently shuffled things around into that one given that Neal has begun releasing demos for his earlier solo prog albums lately. These are just the demos for his albums since Testimony, including demos for TGE/TSOAD/TGA, but not including anything written for TA or FC.

The Studio Albums folder contains all of the Non-TA/Non-FC studio albums released by Neal AND the Neal Morse Band, since Neal hasn't really released BOTH a solo album and a NMB album in the same year. Yes, I know The Exorcist and TGA came out in the same year, but I put The Exorcist in my next folder...

EPs, Compilations and other albums includes things like his Christmas album by The Prog World Orchestra, the compilation Sing It High, and one of the few singer-songwriter albums of his that I own, Life & Times. I put The Exorcist here because it's more of a musical than a prog rock album, and I'll be honest, I just haven't listened to it more than once or twice. It's also quite a different thing than his normal rock albums usually are, I think, but that's just me and my opinion. On my phone, though, I've got it, his solo albums, and the NMB albums all under "Neal Morse" for quick and easy finding.

The Official Live Albums folder contains anything Neal has released as a live album through official channels and labels, although I did throw in the various Morsefest nights in to single folders by year. For example, Morsefest 2016 has a folder for the Storytellers Show, and a shortcut to Snow Live (which is actually housed under my SB folder, of course), as well as the Inner Circle concert released through the fan club. It just makes it easier to find everything from a single Morsefest if I have all the performances of that year under one folder.

The IC folder is pretty self-explanatory as well, and I've ripped all my hard copy CDs from when he still released them physically, organized by year and month (for example, 2020-01 - But Wait... There's More!, and 2020-03 - Continuing The Adventure, for this year's IC releases so far).

And lastly, the Unofficial Albums folder is just a place to put different cuts of albums I've made, but it currently only holds a single folder with 8 tracks, one for each "Part" of the Testimony story from Testimony and Testimony 2, a 3:22:06 experience!

That was probably way more of a detailed answer than anyone ever needed about how I store my Neal Morse music, but there ya go.

-Marc.

Online faizoff

« Reply #4267 on: May 05, 2020, 03:55:02 PM »
That's some serious organization there. I don't do that level of differentiation between demos or live releases. I just dump them all as one band. Just arrange it by year.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4268 on: May 05, 2020, 03:59:48 PM »
That's some serious organization there. I don't do that level of differentiation between demos or live releases. I just dump them all as one band. Just arrange it by year.

I only do that sort of organizing for bands and artists with a LOT of releases. It just makes it easier to scan for what I'm looking for. If I had all of those individual albums and releases in one parent folder, I'd have to scroll through nearly 90 folders of Neal Morse-related music!

-Marc.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4269 on: May 05, 2020, 04:12:15 PM »
I have everything TNMB has released under "Neal Morse".
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."