Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 562648 times)

Offline utopiarun

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3675 on: February 24, 2019, 08:29:55 AM »
Once again I will contend that Neal Morse is the greatest artist that "nobody" has heard of. I mean, the talent and everything he brings and he can't draw more than 200 people in some cities? It's really depressing. I'm thankful that means that I can sit up close but wish he could sell out 2000 seat theaters.

I was watching NMB at Keswick and thinking how can it get better? How doesn't everyone know about him and this incredible band?

Rant over  ;D

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3676 on: February 24, 2019, 08:35:49 AM »
Anybody going to the Dallas gig?

Is Bill selling his We Came from Space album in CD format?

my wife and I will be there!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3677 on: February 24, 2019, 11:33:11 AM »
Once again I will contend that Neal Morse is the greatest artist that "nobody" has heard of. I mean, the talent and everything he brings and he can't draw more than 200 people in some cities? It's really depressing. I'm thankful that means that I can sit up close but wish he could sell out 2000 seat theaters.

I was watching NMB at Keswick and thinking how can it get better? How doesn't everyone know about him and this incredible band?

Rant over  ;D
I completely agree!  The Neal Morse Band has enough stand alone tracks off their last two albums that should be all over the radio in a perfect world. They should be selling out arenas like The Who with no problem.  Same goes for Dream Theater!
  People's minds are clouded with what they are force-fed through mainstream media and don't take the time to really look for something with depth.  Rant over.  :chill
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3678 on: February 24, 2019, 03:14:46 PM »

Sent you a PM.

Offline 425

« Reply #3679 on: February 24, 2019, 03:16:59 PM »
So, it sounds like it could well be worthwhile for me to drive about 5 hours to the Denver show this upcoming Saturday? Trying to decide if I want to commit to that haul.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3680 on: February 24, 2019, 03:34:46 PM »

Nevermind. Seems like Bill is not selling anything. Just got a reply from him in FB

Sent you a PM.

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3681 on: February 24, 2019, 10:02:38 PM »
So, it sounds like it could well be worthwhile for me to drive about 5 hours to the Denver show this upcoming Saturday? Trying to decide if I want to commit to that haul.

Well, my wife and I just got back home from tonight’s show, and we had a pretty damn great time.
We did the meet and greet and sat front row, but honestly there wasn’t really a bad seat in the house from what I saw. There were some transcendent moments tonight, and that’s coming from someone who doesn’t like the album as much as the last one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3682 on: February 25, 2019, 04:02:25 PM »
I've barely listened to the new album in weeks, so my excitement level for Wednesday's show isn't sky high, but I am sure once the day of the show arrives, I will get amped up.  :hat

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3683 on: February 26, 2019, 06:51:33 AM »
Anyone going to the show Friday in Lawrence?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3684 on: February 26, 2019, 08:18:21 AM »

Going tomorrow (Wed Night) in St. Louis.....VIP Meet and Greet as well. I think I'm more jazzed about the meet and greet than anything. Starting to get a little nervous about actually meeting them. I notoriously say really dumb things if I'm nervous so who knows what kind of fool I'll make of myself. All I really wish for out of the experience though is that my kids have a cool interaction with them. My two oldest are going to the Meet and Greet and concert and they are pumped. My oldest LOVES Portnoy so I'm hoping he gets a neat experience. We shall see.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3685 on: February 26, 2019, 10:44:42 AM »
I'm seeing them in just over a week.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3686 on: February 26, 2019, 11:48:01 AM »

Prepare to be amazed!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3687 on: February 26, 2019, 11:52:03 AM »
Where at?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3688 on: February 26, 2019, 12:13:13 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3689 on: February 26, 2019, 12:48:05 PM »

Going tomorrow (Wed Night) in St. Louis.....VIP Meet and Greet as well. I think I'm more jazzed about the meet and greet than anything. Starting to get a little nervous about actually meeting them. I notoriously say really dumb things if I'm nervous so who knows what kind of fool I'll make of myself. All I really wish for out of the experience though is that my kids have a cool interaction with them. My two oldest are going to the Meet and Greet and concert and they are pumped. My oldest LOVES Portnoy so I'm hoping he gets a neat experience. We shall see.....

I did the Meet & Greet on the last tour and it was fun. I too have a hard time having conversations with them because it is a bit awkward. I honestly paid for the meet & greet again to get an amazing place (hopefully front row). The last show I was front row and center in front of Neal and it was the best concert experience ever.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3690 on: February 26, 2019, 02:13:04 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3691 on: February 26, 2019, 02:30:38 PM »
I would consider Seattle.  But as a friend of mine once said, "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3692 on: February 27, 2019, 10:25:33 AM »
I would consider Seattle.  But as a friend of mine once said, "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
   :omg:
 There are parts of Seattle where that rings true, but overall it's a nice city. I've never had any trouble over there. Every once in a while I'll go to a concert by myself and I have to walk through part of the city from the ferry dock. If that's the case I just walk fast and look kind of pissed off,  that way people leave me alone..  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3693 on: February 27, 2019, 10:31:34 AM »
The only show I've ever seen in Seattle was day 2 of the Live Evolution shows at the Moore.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3694 on: February 27, 2019, 10:38:53 AM »
This day can't go fast enough.....cannot wait for tonight....getting really excited. This VIP Meet and greet is really jazzing me up right now.....I didn't think I'd be this giddy honestly. I've spent the entire time waiting for this more concerned that my two boys would really appreciate it and have a great experience that i totally 'forgot' that I'm actually going to meet Neal and the gang tonight!!!! :omg:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3695 on: February 27, 2019, 10:55:41 AM »
So Gary, you are a kid too! :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3696 on: February 27, 2019, 11:06:12 AM »
So Gary, you are a kid too! :lol

Pretty much. Just ask my wife.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3697 on: February 27, 2019, 08:20:25 PM »
This day can't go fast enough.....cannot wait for tonight....getting really excited. This VIP Meet and greet is really jazzing me up right now.....I didn't think I'd be this giddy honestly. I've spent the entire time waiting for this more concerned that my two boys would really appreciate it and have a great experience that i totally 'forgot' that I'm actually going to meet Neal and the gang tonight!!!! :omg:

This was me when I met them. Still can't forget that day. That was like almost 3 weeks ago, still fresh in my mind and will be etched in forever.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3698 on: February 28, 2019, 07:19:46 AM »
Front row center last night!!  Excellent show.  My takeaways:

-For a 58-year old guy, Neal's energy level is pretty amazing.
-The Great Adventure is a very good album, but not only does it not touch Similitude, it doesn't come close.
-Randy George is the king of hilarious facial expressions.
-While generally not a big fan of medleys, the one they are doing in the encore on this tour is pretty sweet.  The Conflict section had me rocking out like there was no tomorrow. :metal :metal
-Neal Morse's improvement as an electric guitar player over the years is remarkable. While Eric plays the solo at the end, Neal handles all of the lead guitar work in The Great Despair prior to that, and absolutely killed it last night.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3699 on: February 28, 2019, 07:25:58 AM »
Front row center last night!!  Excellent show.  My takeaways:

-For a 58-year old guy, Neal's energy level is pretty amazing.
-The Great Adventure is a very good album, but not only does it not touch Similitude, it doesn't come close.
-Randy George is the king of hilarious facial expressions.
-While generally not a big fan of medleys, the one they are doing in the encore on this tour is pretty sweet.  The Conflict section had me rocking out like there was no tomorrow. :metal :metal
-Neal Morse's improvement as an electric guitar player over the years is remarkable. While Eric plays the solo at the end, Neal handles all of the lead guitar work in The Great Despair prior to that, and absolutely killed it last night.

How was the turn out and did you do the meet and greet? Can't wait until tomorrow!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3700 on: February 28, 2019, 07:31:26 AM »
I did not do the meet and greet, but Gary did. I am sure he will chime in here this morning...;)

The venue is small, but looked like it was mostly full, from what I could tell.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3701 on: February 28, 2019, 07:41:54 AM »
The meet and greet was really cool. In an ideal world we'd have all gotten 5 or 10 minutes to chat with the band but in reality it was really only a minute or two....which was just fine. My kiddos got to speak with them....we got to get a pick with them.....all in all it was a pretty cool experience.

Our seats were third row which in this venue is still right on top of the stage. We weren't like Kev who practically was sitting on Neal's keyboard  :lol  but we were directly in front of Randy and Mike. The entire show Randy was having a blast....he and my boys were pointing and making faces at one another. At one point he motioned to my oldest to come to the stage so he did, then Randy flipped him a pick. Small thing for Randy to do but I tell you what it lit my son up like a candle. He was stoked.

Concert was incredible as usual. Neal has the energy of a 20 year old. He was so emotional and in to it....you could tell he wasn't just performing or putting on a show....he puts his all into playing this music for us.

My only bummer was that where we were sitting Neal's rig blocked us from seeing Bill. I could see the top of his head but that was it....so didn't get to see hardly any of him until the encore when everyone stayed standing.

Eric is a monster player....there's just no denying how incredible that dude is on guitar.

And, the venue was packed. If there was an empty seat it was in small company because the place was full.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3702 on: February 28, 2019, 07:44:43 AM »
Good to hear! I'm curious as to how the turnout in Lawrence will be. I've been to one show there years ago, (Nightwish) and there was good turnout but I'm curious as to what the draw for Neal will in a college town. I'm doing the meet & greet so I'm not worried about getting a good spot but I hope there is a solid turn out for the bands sake.

Offline JPX

« Reply #3703 on: February 28, 2019, 07:47:37 AM »
I know this is a Neal thread (we all love him) but can we please add some appreciation for Eric Gilette. I mean, the dude is phenomenal in every way but holy cow his solo on Dark Melody is some of the most tasteful playing I've heard in years.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3704 on: February 28, 2019, 08:01:32 AM »
Our seats were third row which in this venue is still right on top of the stage. We weren't like Kev who practically was sitting on Neal's keyboard  :lol

:lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

Good to hear! I'm curious as to how the turnout in Lawrence will be. I've been to one show there years ago, (Nightwish) and there was good turnout but I'm curious as to what the draw for Neal will in a college town. I'm doing the meet & greet so I'm not worried about getting a good spot but I hope there is a solid turn out for the bands sake.

Did they come there, or anywhere close, on the Similitude tour? 

I know this is a Neal thread (we all love him) but can we please add some appreciation for Eric Gilette. I mean, the dude is phenomenal in every way but holy cow his solo on Dark Melody is some of the most tasteful playing I've heard in years.

Yep, he is a fantastic player.  :hat

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3705 on: February 28, 2019, 08:03:02 AM »

Well, it is truly a band effort, so I don't think any one specific member should be singled out. 

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #3706 on: February 28, 2019, 08:54:25 AM »

Well, it is truly a band effort, so I don't think any one specific member should be singled out.

:lol

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3707 on: February 28, 2019, 10:26:15 AM »
The meet and greet was really cool. In an ideal world we'd have all gotten 5 or 10 minutes to chat with the band but in reality it was really only a minute or two....which was just fine. My kiddos got to speak with them....we got to get a pick with them.....all in all it was a pretty cool experience.

Our seats were third row which in this venue is still right on top of the stage. We weren't like Kev who practically was sitting on Neal's keyboard  :lol  but we were directly in front of Randy and Mike. The entire show Randy was having a blast....he and my boys were pointing and making faces at one another. At one point he motioned to my oldest to come to the stage so he did, then Randy flipped him a pick. Small thing for Randy to do but I tell you what it lit my son up like a candle. He was stoked.

Concert was incredible as usual. Neal has the energy of a 20 year old. He was so emotional and in to it....you could tell he wasn't just performing or putting on a show....he puts his all into playing this music for us.

My only bummer was that where we were sitting Neal's rig blocked us from seeing Bill. I could see the top of his head but that was it....so didn't get to see hardly any of him until the encore when everyone stayed standing.

Eric is a monster player....there's just no denying how incredible that dude is on guitar.

And, the venue was packed. If there was an empty seat it was in small company because the place was full.

Hey, look who got a retweet from MP. You're famous now!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3708 on: February 28, 2019, 10:27:04 AM »

Jaci Gillette is it you?

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3709 on: February 28, 2019, 10:28:05 AM »

Jacy?

Sorry couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, Eric is an amazing player. And yes his playing on Dark Melody is awesome. I also loved what he did on The Great Despair! Especially his singing.
any rock can be made to roll