Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 548190 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3640 on: February 18, 2019, 10:07:01 AM »
I caught the Keswick show on Saturday and it was fantastic. Definitely a bigger crowd/better venue than Jersey City a few days earlier (though I definitely think there were more than 100 people in JC), the little fog cannons on stage were a nice addition to the set that we didn't get in Jersey. The band was on fire all night, and I have to say that seeing A Love That Never Dies live is the closest I've come to being moved to tears by music (and I know that several people around me were). Eric's voice is just sublime on that song. I've gone from "I'll only go to Morsefest if I like what's announced for night 1" to "I'll likely go unless I actively don't like what's announced for night 1". And that medley needs to be captured on an official live release.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #3641 on: February 18, 2019, 11:25:09 AM »
I caught the Keswick show on Saturday and it was fantastic. Definitely a bigger crowd/better venue than Jersey City a few days earlier (though I definitely think there were more than 100 people in JC),
Just looked back at my pictures of the NJ show and it looks like they had just over 100 chairs set up and they definitely weren’t all filled. I also talked with someone before the show that said either the band or venue told him there was just over 100 tickets sold.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3642 on: February 18, 2019, 11:57:37 AM »
interesting. Me and the person next to me guessed more like 150-200. I know there were some people standing behind the chairs they had set up. Either way, kind of cool to get that intimate of a show. I was surprised they didn't have an NYC date, and I'm thinking they expected more people to make the trek over from the city.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3643 on: February 18, 2019, 12:03:02 PM »
I enjoyed yesterday's concert, but somebody needs to explain to me why they put chairs into one of Boston's very few pure-GA venues. The venue is really popular because of its live energy, why would you actively hinder that?

I think if it was GA without the seats the venue would look half filled.  I was joking about the seats were for the old people because that's what they draw but honestly, the venue was really only half filled.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3644 on: February 18, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »
Went to last night's show in Westbury, NY, and it was absolutely fantastic.  The band was on point and sounded incredible.  Had fifth row seats in front of Eric Gillette -- he is so freaking talented, it's ridiculous.  I wish this band could just keep on cranking out new music and never stop.   I can't get enough.

Edit: Stupid question, but what is the meaning behind the curvy symbol on The Great Adventure's cover beneath "The Neal Morse Band"?  It looks like Evergrey has the same symbol beneath the band's name on their cover for The Atlantic.  Does it denote the end of a sequence of albums?   
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 01:35:23 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #3645 on: February 19, 2019, 06:44:12 PM »
I caught the Keswick show on Saturday and it was fantastic.

I was there too and totally agree. Neal is great and so were the other guys.  He said that they have enjoyed the tour so far and that they felt the TGA was an album that was delivering every night.  Amen to that!

One funny moment was when Neal forgot the lyrics during the second verse of the song TGA.  He just stopped singing and started smiling as he was racing his brain and all the guys looked at him. He then picked it up about five seconds later.  He handled it well and it made for a good laugh.

I waved everyone to their feat at the end of the sick instrumental section the last half of Freedom Calling.  It was so Epic.  I felt it was morally wrong to stay seated for that.  A Love that Never Dies was so emotional.  I love the build and crescendo. It could have moved to the top of list for favorite closer. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3646 on: February 19, 2019, 07:51:12 PM »
The show last night at Keswick was amazing!! The band was on fire and Neal was bopping and dancing all over the stage. Everyone in this band is an MVP. I was hesitant about another double album performed live but boy did they deliver! The ending of TGA is EPIC!!

The encore was amazing too, all those albums stacked up one after the other and makes you realize how prolific and talented Mr. Morse is. Just fantastic. Run, don't walk if you have a chance to see this show!

I think they were kind of holding back until the second set and the encore. I thought they really caught fire after that. Definitely cemented  my feeling that Disc 2 is better. (There are some good ones on Disc 1 too.) The Great Despair was unreal. I don't know why it took me until that moment to realize the nod to Squonk. and Like Father, Like son. Can't believe it didn't hit me until then.

Has Mike posted the pre-show music he chose for this tour somewhere?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3647 on: February 19, 2019, 07:54:25 PM »
Yup, it's because of this list that I got hooked into Haken.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3648 on: February 19, 2019, 07:58:42 PM »
I caught the Keswick show on Saturday and it was fantastic. Definitely a bigger crowd/better venue than Jersey City a few days earlier (though I definitely think there were more than 100 people in JC), the little fog cannons on stage were a nice addition to the set that we didn't get in Jersey. The band was on fire all night, and I have to say that seeing A Love That Never Dies live is the closest I've come to being moved to tears by music (and I know that several people around me were). Eric's voice is just sublime on that song. I've gone from "I'll only go to Morsefest if I like what's announced for night 1" to "I'll likely go unless I actively don't like what's announced for night 1". And that medley needs to be captured on an official live release.

The fog was cool and all, but I don't think it was all that necessary although it looks nice in some pictures.  That was a great encore, wasn't it?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3649 on: February 19, 2019, 08:03:08 PM »
Yup, it's because of this list that I got hooked into Haken.

Thanks. So I know about 65 percent of that.

I'm not going to say I'm hooked on Haken, but I watched their cruise sets from last week and I'm kind of into the fusion part of it. I'm going to guess there isn't a record that features that side of it.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3650 on: February 19, 2019, 08:17:34 PM »
Their first two albums tend to have a lot of fusion stuff, not so much the later albums though. Still, I'm loving the journey into all their albums. Check out the track 1985 if you haven't already.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3651 on: February 19, 2019, 08:56:39 PM »
So many Haken songs to choose from and he picks that one? *shakes head*

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3652 on: February 19, 2019, 09:48:12 PM »
I'm assuming you're referring to MP picking Nil by Mouth and not my pick of 1985. I scoured the Haken thread and was kinda surprised by the general indifference to Nil By Mouth by most here. I even checked other forums to see a similar reaction. Honestly, it's one of my absolute favorite tracks of the band and really wished I had gotten into them earlier. I missed their tour when they came by and missed out on seeing the new album live.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3653 on: February 19, 2019, 09:56:24 PM »
Guys,

I will interview "an undisclosed number of members of the NMB" this week. I think it's going to be "Neal+2", but they haven't confirmed who exactly will be available. It could even be MP! It would be awesome if you could help me with a few questions for them. Can anyone chime in?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3654 on: February 20, 2019, 08:12:40 AM »
Ask them if they will be filming for a live dvd in Tilburg or somewhere else besides Morsefest.
  Also ask them if they have any plans for their next album and what direction they will be taking after two monster concept albums?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:20:31 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3655 on: February 20, 2019, 08:58:02 AM »
Ask them if they will be filming for a live dvd in Tilburg or somewhere else besides Morsefest.
  Also ask them if they have any plans for their next album and what direction they will be taking after two monster concept albums?

Two great questions. Thanks!!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3656 on: February 20, 2019, 09:24:45 AM »
I'm assuming you're referring to MP picking Nil by Mouth and not my pick of 1985. I scoured the Haken thread and was kinda surprised by the general indifference to Nil By Mouth by most here. I even checked other forums to see a similar reaction. Honestly, it's one of my absolute favorite tracks of the band and really wished I had gotten into them earlier. I missed their tour when they came by and missed out on seeing the new album live.

That is correct, yes.

Guys,

I will interview "an undisclosed number of members of the NMB" this week. I think it's going to be "Neal+2", but they haven't confirmed who exactly will be available. It could even be MP! It would be awesome if you could help me with a few questions for them. Can anyone chime in?

How is this:

What are your favorite modern day (1990 till now) prog albums (that you did not play on)?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3657 on: February 20, 2019, 11:46:51 AM »
If you get a chance, please post the interview or a link. That would be awesome!  :tup
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:19:54 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3658 on: February 20, 2019, 12:15:47 PM »
Ask them what a Bluegy Woogy is.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3659 on: February 20, 2019, 01:40:09 PM »
If you get a chance, please post the interview or a link. That would be awesome!  :tup

It will be posted on the Sonic Perspectives website!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3660 on: February 20, 2019, 01:41:48 PM »

Isn't it "Boogie Woogie" but pronounced as "Boo-zhee Woo-zhee"? Like people who say bougie as slang for Bougiouse?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3661 on: February 20, 2019, 06:54:20 PM »

Isn't it "Boogie Woogie" but pronounced as "Boo-zhee Woo-zhee"? Like people who say bougie as slang for Bougiouse?

-Marc.

I want to ask them (him?) about that and also the pantacle pantry line. The "taciturn iconoclast" I already asked Neal.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3662 on: February 21, 2019, 07:23:39 AM »

-Marc.

I don't know but my kids find it hilarious.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3663 on: February 21, 2019, 04:11:22 PM »
I am AMAZED. This was the first time ever that they did an interview with all of the band members present. They all were genuinely excited and replied to all my questions. This one will sound great, guys!!! I'll post it here soon.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3664 on: February 21, 2019, 05:01:11 PM »
Odd question: what does everyone think the height is of everyone in the band?

For some reason, I always thought Neal was taller than he really is, but when I met him last year, I was stunned that I was a little taller than him (and I am 5'10", 5"11" with the hair :P).  And he is taller then both Randy George and Mike Portnoy. Bill is the tallest of the bunch, and Eric looks around the same height as Neal.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3665 on: February 21, 2019, 06:15:54 PM »
I am AMAZED. This was the first time ever that they did an interview with all of the band members present. They all were genuinely excited and replied to all my questions. This one will sound great, guys!!! I'll post it here soon.
Hey that's great!  Look forward to hearing it.  :coolio

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3666 on: February 21, 2019, 06:29:37 PM »
Just saw Neal post today that he is offering the first part of a concert recorded in Offenbach, Germany from November 1st 1998 (different than the one used on the Europe 98 live official bootleg released by SB a few years ago) on his streaming service, Waterfall. This comes from the second European leg of the The Kindness Of Strangers tour, which swaps out some TKOS songs, so for the first time, we get live versions of "The Good Don't Last", "Strange World", and "Harm's Way" from the TKOS Tour, which, if you have the first Offenbach show, completes a live version of TKOS (as that show has "Flow" and "Cakewalk On Easy Street", both shows feature "June" and "In The Mouth Of Madness").

I wasn't really in to the idea of his streaming service, but I may try it out for a month or so to hear this concert. I love TKOS and to get to hear a never-before-released concert from that tour is exciting to me! Judging on the shows played around the November 1st date, here's the setlist for the concert:
The Good Don't Last
In the Mouth of Madness
Thoughts
Strange World
Go the Way You Go
June
Harm's Way
Ryo's Solo
The Light
Squonk
Waste Away
The Doorway

The currently-released part 1 ends at "Go The Way You Go", so I presume the second part (to be released next week) will continue with "June" to the end of the show.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3667 on: February 22, 2019, 06:50:12 PM »
A pic just after the interview with the whole band. MP was so tired...I felt for him, guys. The relentless touring does take its toll. He was really kind though, answered all my questions with interest and really engaged. The whole band was great, and even chimed in in questions directed to other members.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3668 on: February 22, 2019, 06:56:19 PM »
It must've been an unreal experience. Congrats, Rodrigo!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3669 on: February 22, 2019, 07:06:54 PM »
MP was so tired...I felt for him

The man is a legend and just pure amazing. He was really under the weather when I saw him in Orlando with the band yet didn't skip a beat during the entire show. Magical night seeing him and the band.

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #3670 on: February 23, 2019, 05:51:43 PM »
At the Cleveland show right now and have to admit I was a little concerned whem I read above about the low attemdance at other shows. But this place - although smaller - is prerry packed so far so glad to see a good turnout for the band. Can't wait foe the show to start!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3671 on: February 23, 2019, 08:27:11 PM »
At the Cleveland show right now and have to admit I was a little concerned whem I read above about the low attemdance at other shows. But this place - although smaller - is prerry packed so far so glad to see a good turnout for the band. Can't wait foe the show to start!

Enjoy it!!! I loved the show here, and brought my wife as well.

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #3672 on: February 23, 2019, 10:34:50 PM »

Enjoy it!!! I loved the show here, and brought my wife as well.

It was great. Neal has to be my favorite artist by now. Admitted MP fanboy so I always love seeing him.  I just wish they were able to draw a larger audience than just a couple of hundred people a night. But at the same time it's great to see them in an intimate setting. Will be on a high now until I see DT in April. Great show tonight.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3673 on: February 24, 2019, 02:43:44 AM »
Tonight was my first time seeing Neal live. It certainly won't be my last. This show ranks very high for all of the concerts that I've seen over the years. I can't be certain about the number of people in attendance, but as another poster has already said, I'd put it around 150-200 range. Most shows that I attend aren't seated shows, and I admit that I was a little bit wary about that beforehand. However, I really enjoyed that. There were people lined up on either side of the room that didn't make it into the room in time to get a chair, but I'm assuming that they still had a fair view of the stage. The PA at either side of the stage probably blocked their view of the corners, though.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3674 on: February 24, 2019, 07:46:02 AM »
Anybody going to the Dallas gig?

Is Bill selling his We Came from Space album in CD format?