Author Topic: The return of the 'Evening With' format  (Read 47111 times)

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Next DT Tour Will Be "An Evening With Dream Theater"
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2010, 07:53:26 PM »
Do you guys think they will unleash Raw Dog on their future tour? You know, just to play it once or twice.

I'd rather hear it first then decide if it'd be a good concert song

It's gonna be a ballsy metal song for a ballsy metal EP...of course it'll be a good concert song.

Yeah, it would be good. Plus, Jordan would whip out his new instrument thingy, which would be sick.

The Eigenharp or the Harpejji?

The Harpejji. What's the Eigenharp?

https://www.youtube.com/jcrudess#p/u/3/3z-KXDHwCPY

It's pretty neat

That's pretty random...it's like Guitar Hero got more complicated. :lolpalm: If I'm not mistaken, we know he's playing the Harpejji on Raw Dog; do we know if he's using the Eigenharp as well?

Apparently he just got one, but I imagine he'll be playing it on a future album, and possibly a new solo album

That would make the most sense to me.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2010, 07:59:42 PM »
Do you guys think they will unleash Raw Dog on their future tour? You know, just to play it once or twice.

It's gonna be a ballsy metal song for a ballsy metal EP...of course it'll be a good concert song.

Yeah, it would be good. Plus, Jordan would whip out his new instrument thingy, which would be sick.

It's pretty neat
I made a thread about this about two weeks ago and it was basically desolate, and the few comments were "just a high-tech midi converter."   :angry:

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2010, 08:06:19 PM »

It's pretty neat
I made a thread about this about two weeks ago and it was basically desolate, and the few comments were "just a high-tech midi converter."   :angry:

*shrugs* I never noticed.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2010, 08:27:46 PM »
Because MP specifically mentioned Texas in his last statement about 2010 plans, I'm going to get excited about this news and hope that they come here. If that happens, there will be a meet-up, and a Bar-B-Q in order to fit our Southern stereotype.

If it happens then I will be :hefdaddy and need a change of pants.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2010, 08:31:10 PM »

It's pretty neat

That's pretty random...it's like Guitar Hero got more complicated. :lolpalm: If I'm not mistaken, we know he's playing the Harpejji on Raw Dog; do we know if he's using the Eigenharp as well?

Apparently he just got one, but I imagine he'll be playing it on a future album, and possibly a new solo album

That would make the most sense to me.

Who knows, it could be both on Raw Dog. Man, Jordan is loading up on the tech these days isn't he?
If it means creativity from Jordan, I'm all for it though.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2010, 08:32:21 PM »

That'd certainly be cool
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2010, 08:33:07 PM »

That'd certainly be cool

Only if it's better than Eve, which Scotty seems to think might get some playing time...

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2010, 11:40:29 AM »
It'll be interesting to see what the newly acquired fanbase thinks of this. Since the 8V tour they have joined Roadrunner and attracted a younger, more metal set of fans, at least in the UK and western Europe. Will they be used to 3 hrs of prog rock and an interval? Considering most of the UK shows will, I think, be all-seated, it'll be interesting the reaction of a 16 year old metalhead! (Though to be fair, that was me - I was 15 when I saw DT for the first time in 2005.)

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2010, 12:28:01 PM »
It'll be interesting to see what the newly acquired fanbase thinks of this. Since the 8V tour they have joined Roadrunner and attracted a younger, more metal set of fans, at least in the UK and western Europe. Will they be used to 3 hrs of prog rock and an interval? Considering most of the UK shows will, I think, be all-seated, it'll be interesting the reaction of a 16 year old metalhead! (Though to be fair, that was me - I was 15 when I saw DT for the first time in 2005.)
hehe i could probaly be one of those 16 year old metalhead, i got into dream theater over a year ago and saw them at prog nation 09 and loved it. I own all the albums and a few of the DVD's and "An evening with Dream Theater" would fucking own! :metal Can't wait for when they pop over here again and hope that if they do do a "one off show" that it will be london  :metal

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2010, 02:14:11 PM »
I reckon we'll probably get 4 or 5 UK shows on the next tour - London, Manchester, Glasgow and somewhere in the Midlands, perhaps Wolverhampton. Maybe the CIA as well.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2010, 02:44:40 PM »
Considering most of the UK shows will, I think, be all-seated
Not necessarily. The ToT tour show was standing. I imagine it'll depend more on the venues really.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2010, 11:02:23 AM »
Not necessarily. The ToT tour show was standing. I imagine it'll depend more on the venues really.

Perhaps, but when it comes to Evening With shows, MP is well aware of the need for fans to be able to sit down at times during a long show. So when they've done the Evening With shows, there's a definite effort put forth for the venues to have seats. Doesn't mean they always will, but chances are much more likely that they will.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2010, 04:50:29 AM »
Well, at Hammersmith, the balcony is always seated, so people who want that option always have it. Allowing the stalls to be GA standing at least gives people the choice.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2010, 10:51:03 AM »
I am still so pumped about this...I am trying to figure out how many shows to see since it may be their last evening with's

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2010, 02:45:11 PM »

Perhaps, but when it comes to Evening With shows, MP is well aware of the need for fans to be able to sit down at times during a long show. So when they've done the Evening With shows, there's a definite effort put forth for the venues to have seats. Doesn't mean they always will, but chances are much more likely that they will.
Octavarium show here was "An Evening With". We were standing up the whole time (except the people in the grandstands). Although I did finish that concert absolutely knackered.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2010, 03:13:09 PM »
I usually stand the whole concert, even if I'm not in GA, and so did everyone else at every concert I've ever been too (only four, but still). I've never sat down at a concert. But I do understand the need for seats for older people/people that want/need to sit.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2010, 05:06:03 PM »
I am still so pumped about this...I am trying to figure out how many shows to see since it may be their last evening with's

Very good and sad point.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2010, 05:47:13 PM »

Very good and sad point.

I'm going to as many as I can afford

Offline Slain

« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2010, 09:06:26 PM »
I can't wait! Yes! I don't care where the shows are, I need to see an evening with show...
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2010, 10:46:02 PM »
Well, at Hammersmith, the balcony is always seated, so people who want that option always have it. Allowing the stalls to be GA standing at least gives people the choice.
They aren't playing Hammersmith anymore, aren't they? I think they will be playing Wembley Arena for a while considering their current popularity level in the UK.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2010, 04:26:47 AM »
They aren't playing Hammersmith anymore, aren't they? I think they will be playing Wembley Arena for a while considering their current popularity level in the UK.
Well, hopefully, though depends if the promoters can get Wembley when it's DT only. Even then, I'd say it's even more likely to be standing in the stalls.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2010, 07:38:39 AM »
YES

I thought I'd never be able to see one of these shows.

YESSSS

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2010, 09:37:38 AM »
Here's to hoping DT hit the Tower in Philadelphia for this.  I don't think there'd be anywhere else better to see them at!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2010, 10:05:01 AM »
Well, hopefully, though depends if the promoters can get Wembley when it's DT only. Even then, I'd say it's even more likely to be standing in the stalls.
I think they will. I mean, if they played with Symphony X in the Chaos tour (Being Symphony X a not-so-big prog metal band), they'll probably get the Arena for themselves. That also depends on the next album's popularity, which I guess will continue the trend that's been going with the recent DT albums in terms of sales, maybe a bit more than BC&SL, that said of course if they don't go all like DT meets Lady GaGa.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2010, 12:02:08 PM »
Excellent
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2010, 10:32:32 AM »

If they can play it (i.e., it depends on what the contract says.  Although I think it is unlikely, they could have, for example, given up all rights to the songs in exchange for royalties from the game, which would mean they can't ever play it), I would expect it to surface at some point in time, either in its entirety, or at least a portion of it showing up in a medley.

As far as the 12-Step Suite, I'm with Scotty.  I expect they will almost certainly play it next tour.  HOWEVER, that being said, I would not expect it to be played every show.  I think the likely scenario is that most cities will get an abbreviated version that has sort of a medley of the first four songs and then TSF to end it, and then a few cities getting the entire thing.  No, I don't have any inside information either.  I am just basing this off of being a long-time fan and having a lot of bootlegs, and thus seeing what the band has done in the past.  I could be wrong, but I will go on record as this being my official guess until we have more concrete information.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2010, 10:36:31 AM »
If they can play it (i.e., it depends on what the contract says.  Although I think it is unlikely, they could have, for example, given up all rights to the songs in exchange for royalties from the game, which would mean they can't ever play it),

Could this seriously happen? If I'm a video game company, the last thing I want is for the band that wrote the song I'm using to promote the game to be unable to play the song and indirectly promote the game.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2010, 10:39:42 AM »
That was just an example.  I honestly dno't kow what they negotiated or why.  But anything under the sun is possible.  They may be able to play it, release it on later albums/compilations, and do whatever else they want without restrictions.  Or it may be completely restricted.  Or just about anything in between.  Just depends on what was agreed to, which I have no idea.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2010, 11:30:28 AM »
I expect to see it played once, or perhaps twice, on the upcoming South American leg.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2010, 11:46:53 AM »
(i.e., it depends on what the contract says.  Although I think it is unlikely, they could have, for example, given up all rights to the songs in exchange for royalties from the game, which would mean they can't ever play it)

Hm.  From what I understand, musicians are pretty much free to play whatever they want at live concerts, though I know some composers and bands have found a way to require people who'd like to play their songs to pay a free.  I doubt that would be the case with Raw Dog.  I could see how a contract like the one you've mentioned that might prevent DT from releasing it on a live album or DVD, but could it really stop the band from just playing it?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #135 on: February 01, 2010, 12:44:50 PM »
I can't see DT signing on to write and record a song for a video game without guaranteeing that they will be able to play it live/release live versions of it themselves.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2010, 01:41:59 PM »
I can't see DT signing on to write and record a song for a video game without guaranteeing that they will be able to play it live/release live versions of it themselves.

Nor can I. I mean, they recorded To Tame a Land for Kerrang's tribute to Iron Maiden, and yet they used the exact same recording as one of the cover tracks on the bonus CD for BCaSL. Now, I don't expect that Raw Dog will make it on to album #11, but I certainly expect it to get some live air-time and probably end up on a live release at some point.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2010, 04:03:10 PM »

What makes you say that?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2010, 04:06:21 PM »

What makes you say that?

It's true.  During this tour, James falls into one of his holes and John fills in on vocal duties.  Until he transforms into a bear one night-- only this time he can't change back.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2010, 08:51:20 PM »
If they can play it (i.e., it depends on what the contract says.  Although I think it is unlikely, they could have, for example, given up all rights to the songs in exchange for royalties from the game, which would mean they can't ever play it),

Could this seriously happen? If I'm a video game company, the last thing I want is for the band that wrote the song I'm using to promote the game to be unable to play the song and indirectly promote the game.

Since it's done through RR, I'd expect the publishing rights would be no different to their previous two albums, and I don't know of these types of things generally being able to limit performance rights.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.