Author Topic: Wolfking's Wonderful Winger roulette v.3 - Round 2 album listening commenced  (Read 41396 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Reminds me a lot of Keep of Kalessin at times too.
hey, uhh

guess what  :lol

khonsu dude is the brother of keep of kalessin's frontman & they worked together on this album :P

anyways i was a tiny bit worried about this one esp. because of the outro but i just can't stop winning it seems, hell yeah metal

alright time to fumble the bag in round 5

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Nice, didn't expect you to like it more than that, so I'm fine with it. Be warned, the album can be a bit experimental and weird at times, but so deeply touching.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I don’t know how I missed Enslaved not being on the banned list.  Going back to the heavy shit.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, life and work got in the way of that thread.  :P

All good mate.  I wasn't trying to out you or anything.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
hey, uhh

guess what  :lol

khonsu dude is the brother of keep of kalessin's frontman & they worked together on this album :P

anyways i was a tiny bit worried about this one esp. because of the outro but i just can't stop winning it seems, hell yeah metal

alright time to fumble the bag in round 5

Huh.  The old KOK has gotta be singing on this track then??  Dead ringer for his voice.  I'll check that later.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I need to figure out what I'm sending...... :corn

All good.

As usual, would like everyone in if possible but about 18 hours from now.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Suck it Puppies!

I didn't expect it to be a round winner, but I'll bloody well take it! I thought I'd shot right up the rankings and was sitting in 5th, but realised your standings are in reverse order  :facepalm:

You definitely need to check out Enslaved dude. The further back you go the more straight up black metal they are, but they never really lost their black metal roots at all. An incredible band for sure.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The logic behind how the songs were represented by these characters was sound.  And now the results (rated worst-to-best):

Rabbi Glickman
Flying Sandos Brothers
Bob & Ray
Izzy Mendelbaum
Steinbrenner
Jackie Chan
Bookman
Frank Costanza
Mr. Kruger
Maestro
Bania
Uncle Leo
Art Vandelay
Keith Hernandez
Puddy
Sue Ellen Mischke
Soup Nazi
Newman
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, next round I'll switch the standings around since it confuses so many.  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The logic behind how the songs were represented by these characters was sound.  And now the results (rated worst-to-best):

Rabbi Glickman
Flying Sandos Brothers
Bob & Ray
Izzy Mendelbaum
Steinbrenner
Jackie Chan
Bookman
Frank Costanza
Mr. Kruger
Maestro
Bania
Uncle Leo
Art Vandelay
Keith Hernandez
Puddy
Sue Ellen Mischke
Soup Nazi
Newman

Ah sorry, I misread your post earlier it seems.

I feel bad Jackie is that low, he fucking rocks. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I think Izzy, Frank and Bookman got shafted as well.  Keith is way too high.  I'm fine with the top 2.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
So a lot of his stuff is like that?  Interesting.
Buckethead is my favorite guitar player (which is why I had in mind to send him in a future round). But yeah, a lot of his stuff is just him going nuts over a backing track. Some stuff is on the long side and those are usually my favorites because he lets loose in those.

The track "Look Up There" is just a (Almost) 22-minute beautiful melodies and tasty guitar stuff. Pike 65 (He calls most of his albums pikes and then numbers them. He is up to Pike 659 660 (Yup, over 600 albums)) is regarded as one of his best and any guitar player should listen, at least once, to the last 14 minutes of that.

https://youtu.be/E5PXYehriYY?si=UP9QPyRQLWJQcVnV&t=898

I'm actually seeing him live in May  :metal

EDIT: to change 659 albums to 660, since pike 660 was released a few hours ago  :lol
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 06:50:25 AM by Lonk »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Well.....I'm not last :lol Will send something today :)

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I still remember when there was speculation that Buckethead might be Paul Gilbert in disguise.  There was a live performance of "Hog Bitch Stomp" going around that was really cool.  Never got into his work though other than the odd song here and there, his discography is just too daunting (makes those Australian saurians seem lazy!). 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I still remember when there was speculation that Buckethead might be Paul Gilbert in disguise.  There was a live performance of "Hog Bitch Stomp" going around that was really cool.  Never got into his work though other than the odd song here and there, his discography is just too daunting (makes those Australian saurians seem lazy!).
Yeah, keeping up with his stuff, specially if you are buying everything, is money and time consuming. I just got reminded of a post I made a few years back:

This reminds me of a picture I took recently. I pre-order one of Buckethead's CDs in January. I was supposed to receive it in February but there was a delayed and I just received the CD last week and this is what I got  :lol :metal

I ordered another one of his albums about a year later, and the "artwork" was not any better lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
There are some musicians who are just like that, every idea they come up with has to be recorded and released.  They release so much in volume that I'm sure some of it is great, but it makes me wish they'd spend some time refining their ideas first.  Maybe he's done that on some albums. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind - Wine From Tears - The Sinner

I'm surprised that you are surprised that I picked this over your other song, but here we are.  Love the atmosphere and vibe of this whole thing.  It's like doom but mixed with a more melodic death metal feel or something.  It breathes and paces along nicely for my liking.  I like the vocals too, they work well.  I was fine 4 minutes in when we got some guitar leads but didn't expect things to pick up, which elevated things again.  Great song, great vibe, liked it.

Score - 8.75

To expand a bit on this, I thought the song was a bit rough because of the singer's delivery. I agree that the atmosphere and the vibe are solid, but with the "search for a church" part I had to google the lyrics when I first heard it because I had no idea what the guy was saying. :biggrin:

Anyway, round 5 sent!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline romdrums

Round 5 sent.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Cool, glad you liked it. Yeah it's a fair bit to take in. I like it as an introduction as it's a sort of microcosm of the whole album. It's quite varied and diverse though individually each of the songs is mote focused and narrow in style, so the balance might work quite well for you in that sense. But this song sort of covers everything the album does.

Won't be able to send tonight as going to bed shortly, but should be good to send tomorrow and already have an idea of what I might go with for the theme.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Sended

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have 13/18 submissions.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Izzy, Frank and Bookman got shafted as well.  Keith is way too high.  I'm fine with the top 2.

I agree Keith is too high also. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Haha yeah I remember that rumor too.

I think the number of albums he has is a big reason I've never really dived into him.

Buckethead is my favorite guitar player (which is why I had in mind to send him in a future round). But yeah, a lot of his stuff is just him going nuts over a backing track. Some stuff is on the long side and those are usually my favorites because he lets loose in those.

The track "Look Up There" is just a (Almost) 22-minute beautiful melodies and tasty guitar stuff. Pike 65 (He calls most of his albums pikes and then numbers them. He is up to Pike 659 660 (Yup, over 600 albums)) is regarded as one of his best and any guitar player should listen, at least once, to the last 14 minutes of that.

https://youtu.be/E5PXYehriYY?si=UP9QPyRQLWJQcVnV&t=898

I'm actually seeing him live in May  :metal

EDIT: to change 659 albums to 660, since pike 660 was released a few hours ago  :lol

Interesting approach.  Now I know that's more his style, it might be a better platform to check out more of his music.  I'll check that link now.

Wait......600 albums?  WTF?!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Check my reply mate.

It sucks that bad??

I knew that post to Joe would be like the Bat Signal to you.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I knew that post to Joe would be like the Bat Signal to you.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Like I don't know that.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
We all know that.  :biggrin:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, time to shame.  I'm waiting on;

Joe
Luke
Ale
Chris
Rich

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm so old,  I sent the next round