Author Topic: Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-that's all folks!  (Read 43755 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette of Anonymity and Unpredictability: Resultz... NOW!
« Reply #420 on: December 01, 2023, 02:43:18 PM »
Submits best song.....is in 4th place... :lol

Sends worst song....is tied for 2nd place...   :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #421 on: December 01, 2023, 02:47:49 PM »

Quality baby!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #422 on: December 01, 2023, 02:49:05 PM »
You know, at some point you fuckers ought to recognize greatness when you're looking at it.   What is great, you ask?  How no matter WHAT the format, what the grading technique, or what the combinations there are, I ALWAYS find a way to send bands that are quality bands that most people have heard of and yet... inevitably end up in last place.   WTF. 

Because you're the only one A) with the gumption to stand by your convictions; and B) can handle the outcome without bitching.

Actually, just A it seems.   :lol :lol  jk Bill.  Love ya, and I loved you sending this tune.  I've got a new appreciation and love for it now.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: December 01, 2023, 02:49:57 PM »

No matter, definitely claiming a victory. You already got my next round bro.

7 more rounds boo.  Don't sweat the score after the 1st possession.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: December 01, 2023, 02:50:30 PM »

RJ gets to claim the moral victory.

Tim can't ... because he has no morals.

I just hope he has better songs.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #425 on: December 01, 2023, 02:57:16 PM »
You know, at some point you fuckers ought to recognize greatness when you're looking at it.   What is great, you ask?  How no matter WHAT the format, what the grading gtechnique, or what the combinations there are, I ALWAYS find a way to send bands that are quality bands that most people have heard of and yet... inevitably end up in last place.   WTF.

Excuse me! I am the focker who told the world: “Stadler wins this round with Donna Summer”

*smiley emoticon*

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #426 on: December 01, 2023, 03:08:14 PM »
Litho: Dave Bainbridge / Love Remains
Upon investigation, it is indeed Damian Wilson - that's some jingle.boy quality cheating there :clap: .  Unfortunately, he's sparsely used throughout the 13 minutes here - longest track of the round (by far), and the most "progressive" (also, by far).  There's a lot to digest here, and it gets a little choppy at times with the transitions between the vocal passages and the instrumental wanking passages - and man was there a lot of instrumental wankery.  Luckily, it was in a mostly good (think Transatlantic or Spock's Beard) way; not an "enough already" (think, Haken or Porcupine Tree) kinda way.

The funny thing is that when I put him on my short list for the roulette, I wasn't even thinking about Damian initially.  But when I cued up tracks to decide from, I recalled that he has parts on a number of them, so that certainly influenced my decision.  Definitely check those out at some point (and preferably the whole album, I'm kind of surprised it's never been mentioned here as far as I can tell, since the rhythm section for the album is Collin Leijenaar, who worked with Rudess, Neal Morse and others, and Randy George, also from Morse and with Portnoy).  I guess its absence on streaming services makes it a bit hidden. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #427 on: December 01, 2023, 03:16:55 PM »
Tim nailed the format!

Kade nailed everything!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: December 01, 2023, 03:25:35 PM »
Litho: Dave Bainbridge / Love Remains
Upon investigation, it is indeed Damian Wilson - that's some jingle.boy quality cheating there :clap: .  Unfortunately, he's sparsely used throughout the 13 minutes here - longest track of the round (by far), and the most "progressive" (also, by far).  There's a lot to digest here, and it gets a little choppy at times with the transitions between the vocal passages and the instrumental wanking passages - and man was there a lot of instrumental wankery.  Luckily, it was in a mostly good (think Transatlantic or Spock's Beard) way; not an "enough already" (think, Haken or Porcupine Tree) kinda way.

The funny thing is that when I put him on my short list for the roulette, I wasn't even thinking about Damian initially.  But when I cued up tracks to decide from, I recalled that he has parts on a number of them, so that certainly influenced my decision.  Definitely check those out at some point (and preferably the whole album, I'm kind of surprised it's never been mentioned here as far as I can tell, since the rhythm section for the album is Collin Leijenaar, who worked with Rudess, Neal Morse and others, and Randy George, also from Morse and with Portnoy).  I guess its absence on streaming services makes it a bit hidden.

Yeah, I recognize Collin's name - he was also on Affector.  And in the early 2010s, was supposed to be part of a project called Alpha Flood.  That got scrapped by Dec (kicking out 3 of the members including Leijenaar) and became Audioplastik (which kinda sucked, imo). 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #429 on: December 01, 2023, 03:26:54 PM »

RJ gets to claim the moral victory.

Tim can't ... because he has no morals.

I just hope he has better songs.

Oh snap...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #430 on: December 01, 2023, 03:48:04 PM »
Sent for the next round. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #431 on: December 01, 2023, 04:13:55 PM »
I didn't have time to play the games involved this week with the safety audit. Dammit.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: December 01, 2023, 04:30:44 PM »
Yeah, I had a feeling Chad would enjoy that one.  It's a nice album but that song in particular is really catchy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: December 01, 2023, 10:54:02 PM »
Not only did I suck in the hangman thing, I also somewhat sucked in the quality department. :lol Definitely thought you'd enjoy that a bit more, I really liked the vocals on my song.

I'll send in a couple of hours.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: December 02, 2023, 03:36:44 AM »
Not only did I suck in the hangman thing, I also somewhat sucked in the quality department. :lol Definitely thought you'd enjoy that a bit more, I really liked the vocals on my song.

I'll send in a couple of hours.

There was nothing wrong with them, I just wasn't wow'd or ..... floor'd.  :neverusethis:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: December 02, 2023, 04:38:27 AM »
Round 2 sent.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: December 02, 2023, 08:34:55 AM »
Cross-stitching right now and about to hit that Round 1 playlist. Will post my thoughts as I listen along, curious about what you guys sent.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: December 02, 2023, 08:58:00 AM »
Cross-stitching right now and about to hit that Round 1 playlist. Will post my thoughts as I listen along, curious about what you guys sent.

Love it!  I often hit up the playlists of other hosts, which can be a bit of a task with the size of most roulette's nowadays, and the diversity of tastes.  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: December 02, 2023, 09:10:37 AM »
Ekphrasis - A Maze in Screw-Anyone-Who-Wants-to-Guess-My-Song-in-Hangman II: Tim, I find it hard to believe you actually like this. :lol Definitely can see the Haken comparisons due to a couple of moments but this is like Haken on a reduced budget of 100$ per album. 6.5 is generous for this, and I'm a big Haken fan.

Figure of Speechless - Tunnel at the Speed of Light: on one hand, this was fairly solid, on the other hand, this was utterly forgettable. I expected more whan I saw Bruce was on this. Maybe the problem with my expectations but I've no desire to hear this again.

Advent Horizon - How Did It Get So Good (Vocal Melodies Excluded): music was solid, vocal melodies were tedious on the first listen. If I had to say, I disliked it more than I liked it.

Hollow Hour - Now I'm Older (I don't think they mentioned the canyon even once but I definitely know the singer is older now as he said it like ten times): this was alright in a very vanilla sort of way. Didn't expect this from you Kade especially with how you shit on Frontiers. This is borderline Frontiers quality for me. Chad - it is softcock shit. :biggrin:

Sweet - Fox on the Run: yeah this is Stadler. This kind of older music is hit or miss with me. I didn't like this one, but I can see the appeal and this is a good thing to send Chad's way.

Second part is coming in a bit, I'm on MSG right now and I think that's the first song I actually like.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: December 02, 2023, 09:47:53 AM »
Michael Schenker Group - Lost Horizons (2000 Remaster except we didn't do much so it still sounds like 1980): now this is fire :metal Solid song and exceptional soloing/instrumental part to end this song. I think I've asked this before but what should I check out if I wanted to get into MSG? Easily best song of the bunch so far.

Days Before Tomorrow: Wasted Years II: We Put II in the Song Title But We Didn't Put Oneiroi In It So Puppies Got Robbed of Unpredictability Points: this is perfectly inoffensive. Good keyboard work but otherwise can't see myself revisiting this at all.

Joseph Magazine - Night of the Red Sky: this is good! Is the whole album instrumental or just this track? I kinda liked this. Reminded me of Earthside's first album, which reminded me that I should check out their new album.

Dave Bainbridge - Love Remains (The Flow Doesn't): this was really good sans awkward transitions here and there which reminded me of Phideaux. Damian is always welcome (hi Tim). This is a lot to process with just one listen. Positive impression overall.

My Top 3: MSG > Joseph Magazine > Dave Bainbridge
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 09:53:43 AM by Evermind »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: December 02, 2023, 10:11:33 AM »
Figure of Speechless - Tunnel at the Speed of Light: on one hand, this was fairly solid, on the other hand, this was utterly forgettable. I expected more whan I saw Bruce was on this. Maybe the problem with my expectations but I've no desire to hear this again.

It actually isn't Bruce - it's Ray Alder!

I think we're on a bit of the same wavelength on most of these.

P.S.  Love the additional takes in the bolded!
P.P.S.  at 52, my cock is more and more soft as shit.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: December 02, 2023, 10:12:03 AM »
Also, I've got 7 submissions.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: December 02, 2023, 10:13:51 AM »

Wtf? This didn't sound like Ray Alder at all.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: December 02, 2023, 10:25:25 AM »

Wtf? This didn't sound like Ray Alder at all.

That's what I thought.  Then, when I knew it was Ray, I could kinda hear it.

https://www.headbangerslifestyle.com/music/flash-news/news-figure-of-speechless-promising-allstar-combo-reveals/
ALBUM LINE-UP:
Glen McMaster – Guitars/Songwriting
Derek Sherinian – Keyboards/Producer
Ron ‘Bumblefoot’ Thal – Guitar Solos/Mixing
Ray Alder – Vocals
Tony Franklin – Bass
Brian Tichy – Drums 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #445 on: December 02, 2023, 11:14:15 AM »

Love it!  I often hit up the playlists of other hosts, which can be a bit of a task with the size of most roulette's nowadays, and the diversity of tastes.

I'd love for roulettes to be even more interactive and collaborative.  When I joined my first one last year I thought maybe they'd be kind of like a group listening party (part of why I like deepcut.fm), and occasionally it is, but a lot of the time I guess people don't have time or interest to hear the other entries.  I generally try and get a single listen in to everything else, though I'm a bit behind at the moment (and fell way behind in ariich's, that'll be for sometime later I guess). 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #446 on: December 02, 2023, 11:20:02 AM »
Dave Bainbridge - Love Remains (The Flow Doesn't): this was really good sans awkward transitions here and there which reminded me of Phideaux. Damian is always welcome (hi Tim). This is a lot to process with just one listen. Positive impression overall.

You're the second person who's mentioned Phideaux in the past week or two to me.  Probably should look into his stuff, especially given that he's on what over time has become one of my favorite Ayreon tracks. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: December 02, 2023, 11:24:41 AM »

You're the second person who's mentioned Phideaux in the past week or two to me.  Probably should look into his stuff, especially given that he's on what over time has become one of my favorite Ayreon tracks.

Doomsday Afternoon is a fan-favourite I think but I'd recommend Number Seven. Both are very good though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #448 on: December 02, 2023, 11:40:38 AM »
Ekphrasis - A Maze in Screw-Anyone-Who-Wants-to-Guess-My-Song-in-Hangman II: Tim, I find it hard to believe you actually like this. :lol Definitely can see the Haken comparisons due to a couple of moments but this is like Haken on a reduced budget of 100$ per album. 6.5 is generous for this, and I'm a big Haken fan.

Hah! I went through my Spotify Library and found this weird sounding band. I have no idea how they got in there. :lol
Anyway, that's the song I picked because of the obscurity, and yes the song blows and the 6.5 is more than generous. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: December 02, 2023, 12:22:54 PM »

Hah! I went through my Spotify Library and found this weird sounding band. I have no idea how they got in there. :lol
Anyway, that's the song I picked because of the obscurity, and yes the song blows and the 6.5 is more than generous. :lol

Yeah that tracks :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: December 02, 2023, 12:45:44 PM »

Sounds like someone is asking for a downgrade!?   :lol

Hey, 6.5 is a "C".  There's very little music that I can't find at least some things to enjoy about it.  It takes a lot for me to actively dislike something.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: December 02, 2023, 01:38:12 PM »
Hollow Hour - Now I'm Older (I don't think they mentioned the canyon even once but I definitely know the singer is older now as he said it like ten times): this was alright in a very vanilla sort of way. Didn't expect this from you Kade especially with how you shit on Frontiers. This is borderline Frontiers quality for me. Chad - it is softcock shit. :biggrin:

So given the roulette, I played the first round perfectly.  :biggrin:

It is indeed some softcock stuff but I'd put it ahead of Frontiers quality.  Recent Frontiers quality anyway.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #452 on: December 02, 2023, 04:44:01 PM »
Michael Schenker Group - Lost Horizons (2000 Remaster except we didn't do much so it still sounds like 1980): now this is fire :metal Solid song and exceptional soloing/instrumental part to end this song. I think I've asked this before but  what should I check out if I wanted to get into MSG? Easily best song of the bunch so far.

I’d start with One Night at Budokan to get a feeling, then go back to the debut and go on until the “M” becomes McAuley.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #453 on: December 02, 2023, 04:47:56 PM »
Michael Schenker Group - Lost Horizons (2000 Remaster except we didn't do much so it still sounds like 1980): now this is fire :metal Solid song and exceptional soloing/instrumental part to end this song. I think I've asked this before but  what should I check out if I wanted to get into MSG? Easily best song of the bunch so far.

I’d start with One Night at Budokan to get a feeling, then go back to the debut and go on until the “M” becomes McAuley.

I much prefer MSG, the 2nd album over the debut. Definitely prefer Cozy Powell over Simon Phillips, for one, but I find Michael way more engaged and the songs so much deeper. And all of those outro solos all over it. It's a Top 5 album for me and quite musical life changing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #454 on: December 02, 2023, 07:01:30 PM »

Sounds like someone is asking for a downgrade!?   :lol

Hey, 6.5 is a "C".  There's very little music that I can't find at least some things to enjoy about it. It takes a lot for me to actively dislike something.
Hey I managed it 3 rounds in a row  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar