Author Topic: Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-that's all folks!  (Read 36947 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - Final Round ... The "Dickens" Round
« Reply #2030 on: February 04, 2024, 01:44:24 PM »
Ok, who's making the popcorn...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - Final Round ... The "Dickens" Round
« Reply #2031 on: February 04, 2024, 03:05:17 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2032 on: February 04, 2024, 03:08:26 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2033 on: February 04, 2024, 03:16:39 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2034 on: February 05, 2024, 05:42:17 AM »
Ok... Before Josh/RJ/Ruslan frantically scroll to the bottom to see results, I'll just let you know I'm gonna be a dick and not post the final scores for a couple of hours, just to torment you fuckers a little more ... but more to force you to read the writeups.  I will say this though, I listened and rated these songs without doing any calculations of where the intangibles points were setting up the final scores.  I didn't want any knowledge of who was gaining/losing ground (or how much) to influence my listening and rating of the quality of these.  I didn't know the final scores until about 15 minutes ago.

Litho: Ulrik Lyngs / Vanedisclosurejam
My written first impression was "22,000 big ones!" (for the Cheers fans out there).  This is as big a WTF moment as Stadler sending Radiohead - nah, bigger.  Hey, if you really like this, all the power to you.  I joked last round that RJ's submission was *like* Ross Gellar on the keys… well this sounds EXACTLY as if Ross Gellar had composed and played this.  Was this recorded on Windows 3.1 with a MIDI recorder?  And the rest of instruments sound like they came from a 6-year-old's toy bin - right from the start with the "cowbell".  This guy could've had a career in recording background music for Commodore 64 games - I swear I'm hearing some of the music from Forbidden Forest in here.  The ONLY mildly enjoyable quality was the 16 seconds of real piano that poked its head up for 15 seconds like a prairie dog at 2:30, said "fuck this shit!", and quickly disappeared again. 

You said in your message to me "It doesn't appear that he records music anymore (at least publicly from what I can tell)", and I can only think ... "Thank fucking Christ".  The only reason I listened to this more than twice was to make sure I was being accurate with my writeup, and not too harsh.  But honestly man, I think you've taken the crown away from Chris as the worst thing I've ever received in a roulette.

Radiohead had 24 seconds of respectable music; this had 16 seconds, so I can't in good conscience rate this higher than Radiohead. 

Scores
Quality: 1
Unpredictability: 4.5
Anonymity: 2

---------------------------
Evermind:Chorny Kofe / Nochnoy jastreb
Dear lord, what's with the tone of the guitar - especially in the intro.  I'm surprised Putin hasn't jailed this guy for the crime that this song is.  I kept waiting for something to happen.  It didn't.  What is this, doom-sludge-post-core-alt-blues?  The last time you sent a mixed bag of sounds, it clicked.  This time, it crashed.  The intro did not set the stage well, even though the guitar playing after it was pretty decent, there was something off in the overall sound - I think he was aiming for something in the melanlncholic range, but it was more like a baby with cholic.  Sometimes simple works, but simple+plodder+repetition+mediocre production is not a winning formula here.  The 2 instances of what I would call a "chorus" (1:13-1:49 and 3:03-3:34) were the closest thing I came to enjoyment during this.  The outro solo could have been enjoyable, but the sludge (I can't think of another word to use) of the background rhythm kills it.

Still, it is 3 times better than Litho's submission.

Scores
Quality: 3
Unpredictability: 5
Anonymity: 5

TAC: Valfreya / Peuple Du Nord
Why, just why?  Have I not been clear about my distaste for non-English vocals?  The Celtic vibes were kinda cool (I like plenty of folk-rock/folk-metal tunes), and musically this was fairly enjoyable.  I'm quite schizophrenic about this song, but the splash of non-English growls in the end push me to leaning on the 'meh' side of things.  For me, this would've worked far better as an instrumental.  Yes, it's a 'me' thing, but the lyrics really kill my enjoyment of this.

Scores
Quality: 5.5
Unpredictability: 1.5
Anonymity: 1.5

Puppies: Wilton and Akerstache / Drag Ropes (Chaining My Heart)
Did they hire Litho's guy as a session recorder for the keyboards :lol !?!?  There's quite a bit I want to like here, but the production sounds so fucking anorexic - especially the drums … they sound like they were recorded in a 8x8 tin shed.  The production wasn't just thin, it made the song borderline unbearable for the first few listens, and I nearly pulled the plug on this one too.  There's certain frequencies where the my ears start to feel like they're pulsating (mrs.jingle can often reach that frequency during a … "discussion" :lol), and this song came right up to the line of settling in at that frequency - hence the gifpression.  I like the style of this guys voice (except for that final wail); the composition is pretty good; and the riffs are also quite good, but man alive… the sound (and the keyboards)

I really would/could have liked this song if not for the fact it literally was on the verge of hurting my ears towards the end (right after the instrumental breakdown) - and being the longest song of the round didn't help because of that; if they'd wrapped it up using the instrumental section as an outro, I think I could've listened past the awful sound.  Good production could've put this into an 8, but I've heard demos on a cassette that sound better than this.  I did kinda get 'used' to it after 3-4 listens, but it could've earned such a better score

Scores
Quality: 6.5
Unpredictability: 4
Anonymity: 4.5

Dr. DTVT: Oceans of Slumber / Pray for Fire
Starts out fine, but the 'distortion' effect in Beverly's voice was a big meh - the vocals were way better once they dropped that.  Your streak of connecting me to bands I've heard of but didn't explore ends here - for when the guitars kicked in at 2:20, I lost the plot.  Here's an example of how it would help to read the writeups of others' songs - as I've pointed out a my distaste for blast-beat/machine gun kind of sounds (bass or snare) a couple of times already.  So A) the lead up into the growls already had me in a bit of a foul mood, and thus the growls didn't connect; and B) that outro (which at first I thought was the start of the next track!) was starting to produce the best part of the track, until they when all doom-metal at 6:15.  But Beverly's vocal performance in that final 2 minutes, with the gradual crescendo, was fantastic.  Thankfully, for the final 45 seconds, they pushed that machine-gun bass-drum way back in the mix.

Blasty-blast still no clicky-click with me.

Scores
Quality: 6.5
Unpredictability: 0.5
Anonymity: 3.5

Indiscipline: Marty Friedman / Miracle
Not what I expected out Marty (I've got a couple of his albums, and I think I would expect some shreddery - which does come up in a limited fashion in the 2nd half solo), but naturally, it's amazingly written and performed.  At first, I was channelling my inner Shadow Ninja here, and say that the intro really would've been a great way to segue into something lyrical - but then I realized that (like the previous round), it was the axe that was doing all the talking. I knew this one was going to grow on me with repeated listens - and it did once I got over my expectation of Marty melting my face as he so usually does.  Couple of bitching guitar solos (one that is paired magnificently with the keys), and drum work that slaps. I really should have more Marty in my library.

Scores
Quality: 8
Unpredictability: 2.5
Anonymity: 2.5

Wolfking: Winterborn / Lovehunter
And here's an example where weak production can be overcome with a great tune.  Dat opening riff  :metal.  The production sounds dated, but it's not *bad*.  This song follows the K.I.S.S. principle again, and it's working for you.  This brings me back to the late 80s when I was discovering some lesser known rock bands, and loving the hell out of it - acts like Damn Yankees, Firehouse, Brighton Rock, Winger, Sven Gali, April Wine, Helix and the like..  This could've been something that was heard on a B&B podcast (fuck I miss him/those).  Shitballs man, that solo section fucking ripped - the backing rhythm work was just as good as the solo itself.  Gave me quit a bit of nostalgia, back to the days when Elle graced the SI Swimsuit cover three years running, and 15-year old me had virtually every image of her pasted inside my school locker.

Scores
Quality: 8
Unpredictability: 3.5
Anonymity: 4

Stadler: The Firm / Live in Peace
Solid.  Rock solid.  Like, adamantium solid.  Actually, it's fucking balls - best thing you've sent me in this roulette, maybe in any roulette.  Naturally, I know of The Firm … Rodgers voice is so distinct and unique.  But why-oh-fucking-why didn't I dig in to their albums during the time of their release?!?!?  I cannot fathom a reasonable answer - it defies any common sense (;)), but thank you for getting me to rectify this travesty.  What a glorious intro.  This is how I likes my ballads… glorious amount of foreplay before getting to the meat of the song.  The aural sensations from the bass and the strings gives me tingles.  And dat solo…  well, even I'm impressed with that kind of cheating.  As usual, you got hosed with the intangibility points.

Scores
Quality: 8.5
Unpredictability: 1
Anonymity: 1

Lonestar: Rie a.k.a. Suzaku / Heika Sojo
I hear an ode to The Vapours right out of the gate (not sure if you remember, I sent Turning Japanese to Obscure in her 2nd roulette).  And after that, this song left most everything else in it's wake.  Great melodies (and I really like the recurring main melody), rich sound, nice mix of pacing and some extracurricular sounds splashed in there, and a nice frantic ending.  There's just not a lot more to say, this works on all levels - and you wisely made a selection that left out the non-English lyrics.

Scores
Quality: 9
Unpredictability: 3
Anonymity: 0.5

King: Surreal / The Journey Begins
Oohh... That's tasty.  You have a knack for hitting that keyboard-led prog sweet-spot of mine.  I'll never forget the moment you first tickled me there in Roulette v1 with Presto Ballet.  This one is invoking some of those same listening feelz.  Nice soaring vocal harmonies that accompany them too.  Everything just clicks with this track.

Scores
Quality: 9.5
Unpredictability: 2
Anonymity: 3

Final results in a while.  I'm sure three or four people will be whipping out their calculators, and get a pen and paper out while scrolling back and forth from the Round 7 standings   :lol  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - Round 8 results...
« Reply #2035 on: February 05, 2024, 05:57:39 AM »
Congrats RJ!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2036 on: February 05, 2024, 06:01:48 AM »
Oh my....

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2037 on: February 05, 2024, 06:31:44 AM »
Noice.  Check out their 1st album.  It doesn't disappoint. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2038 on: February 05, 2024, 06:47:54 AM »
I am very proud of my 7.8 quality average

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2039 on: February 05, 2024, 06:49:58 AM »

7.9 when rounded up!  Which is basically 8.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2040 on: February 05, 2024, 07:17:47 AM »

7.9 when rounded up!  Which is basically 8.   :lol

And 8 rounds to 10!  That’s damn impressive.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2041 on: February 05, 2024, 07:22:15 AM »
Ok... final scores:

Total Round 8:
Wolfking - Winterborn / Lovehunter: 3.5 + 4 + 8 = 15.5
Puppies - Wilton and Akerstache / Drag Ropes (Chaining My Heart): 4 + 4.5 + 6.5 = 15
King - Surreal / The Journey Begins: 2 + 3 + 9.5 = 14.5
Evermind - Chorny Kofe / Nochnoy jastreb: 5 + 5 + 3 = 13
Indiscipline - Marty Friedman / Miracle: 2.5 + 2.5 + 8 = 13
lonestar - Rie a.k.a. Suzaku / Heika Sojo: 3 + 0.5 + 9 = 12.5
Dr. DTVT - Oceans of Slumber / Pray for Fire: 0.5 + 3.5 + 6.5 = 10.5
Stadler - The Firm / Live in Peace: 1 + 1 + 8.5 = 10.5
TAC - Valfreya / Peuple Du Nord: 1.5 + 1.5 + 5.5 = 8.5
Litho - Ulrik Lyngs / Vanedisclosurejam: 4.5 + 2 + 1 = 7.5

Final Quality
1. lonestar - 65
2. King - 65
2. Wolfking - 63.5
4. Indiscipline - 63
5. Dr. DTVT - 62.5
6. Puppies - 58.5
7. Evermind - 58
8. Litho - 57
9. TAC - 56.5
10. Stadler - 55.5

Final Standings:
1. lonestar - 112
2. Evermind - 111.5
3. Litho - 110
4. Wolfking - 109.5
5. TAC - 107
6. Indiscipline - 104.5
7. Dr. DTVT - 102
8. Puppies - 100.5
9. King - 99.5
10. Stadler - 88

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2042 on: February 05, 2024, 07:24:54 AM »
 :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2043 on: February 05, 2024, 07:27:13 AM »
I'm not doing that again.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2044 on: February 05, 2024, 07:29:08 AM »
Congratulations RJ!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - Round 8 results...
« Reply #2045 on: February 05, 2024, 08:48:56 AM »
Congrats RJ!

My fatal mistake was thinking that there was a floor of 5 or so for even stuff you didn't really like, and forgetting that Radiohead had scored 2.  And for mentally comparing it to other music I've received and heard in general and stupidly thinking that on a linear scale it shouldn't be able to go that low.  D'oh!  Also for thinking that even though non-DT fans (and even some fans) complain about some of Rudess' playing and sounds, that here would be a less risky place for a less polished version of it.  Big miscalculation.  :lol

Oh well, I'd have wondered too if I'd sent a more normal song and had it ferreted out right away and lost due to poor intangibles.  It was fun playing anyway, albeit kind of stressful and exhausting.   ;D

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2046 on: February 05, 2024, 10:42:42 AM »
Yeah, as I said, perhaps I should've judged mediocre songs a little more harshly.  Honestly, I can usually find something to enjoy in pretty much any music to make it 'passable', but you and Evermind put that theory to the test this round!

You can at least wear that 'worst song ever sent to jingle.boy' as a badge of honor, stealing that title from Puppies. :mehlin :rollin

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2047 on: February 05, 2024, 10:48:28 AM »
I wish I'd participated to send you The Han-tyumi and the Murder of the Universe Suite now.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2048 on: February 05, 2024, 11:25:59 AM »
Yeah, as I said, perhaps I should've judged mediocre songs a little more harshly.  Honestly, I can usually find something to enjoy in pretty much any music to make it 'passable', but you and Evermind put that theory to the test this round!

You can at least wear that 'worst song ever sent to jingle.boy' as a badge of honor, stealing that title from Puppies. :mehlin :rollin
Aww man!  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

• DTF.org Member
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-that's all folks!
« Reply #2049 on: February 05, 2024, 11:26:27 AM »
Oh and congrats RJ! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2050 on: February 05, 2024, 11:57:49 AM »

Stadler: The Firm / Live in Peace
Solid.  Rock solid.  Like, adamantium solid.  Actually, it's fucking balls - best thing you've sent me in this roulette, maybe in any roulette.  Naturally, I know of The Firm … Rodgers voice is so distinct and unique.  But why-oh-fucking-why didn't I dig in to their albums during the time of their release?!?!?  I cannot fathom a reasonable answer - it defies any common sense (;)), but thank you for getting me to rectify this travesty.  What a glorious intro.  This is how I likes my ballads… glorious amount of foreplay before getting to the meat of the song.  The aural sensations from the bass and the strings gives me tingles.  And dat solo…  well, even I'm impressed with that kind of cheating.  As usual, you got hosed with the intangibility points.

Scores
Quality: 8.5
Unpredictability: 1
Anonymity: 1

There's a live version on the b-side of the "Radioactive" single that, IMO, is even better. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2051 on: February 05, 2024, 12:34:13 PM »
While I got eliminated in the preliminaries (I didn't do my homework to know you hated the band so much  :lol), it was fun following.

Congrats Lonestar
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2052 on: February 05, 2024, 07:01:16 PM »
haha nice on RJ.

Check out the full album Chad, it's really enjoyable.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2053 on: February 05, 2024, 08:22:47 PM »
Chris... did Ariich do that to you, or are you doing just to fuck with all of us that have Avatar's on?

P.S.  I didn't read all the posts after SN's Round 4 reveal.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2054 on: February 05, 2024, 08:24:05 PM »
Chris... did Ariich do that to you, or are you doing just to fuck with all of us that have Avatar's on?

:lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2055 on: February 05, 2024, 09:23:28 PM »

I'm still confused whr they are all Rich even after reading the posts.  :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-that's all folks!
« Reply #2056 on: February 05, 2024, 09:42:51 PM »

I'm still confused whr they are all Rich even after reading the posts.  :lol

The hilarious thing is that I think Crow started this.  :lol

why is he called shadow ninja 2.0 when he should be ariich 2.0

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2057 on: February 05, 2024, 09:44:51 PM »
Ah ok......that comment was ages ago lol.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2058 on: February 05, 2024, 09:45:28 PM »
I ganked Rich's swagger once before in roulettemania, and now I've done it again, as his protege, then everyone else got in on the action.

It's like the Sith. There's only ever two. And they both look the same, for some reason. And now there's half a dozen, I guess?

It's pretty simple.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v5 - th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-that's all folks!
« Reply #2059 on: February 06, 2024, 12:42:21 AM »
Yes, yes, let the graphs flow through you.

You are indeed my heir transparent.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.