Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 139165 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #3430 on: May 22, 2024, 07:45:21 AM »
Tool is another band. They do just fine with their light and video show with no click.
According to Danny Carey, he doesn't even use a click during recording.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3431 on: May 22, 2024, 08:05:41 AM »

Yea, I saw that recently too. Not a big Tool guy but even that threw me off during that interview. Super impressive. Talk about a naturally tight drummer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3432 on: May 22, 2024, 08:10:08 AM »
Can't wait to watch him tear up some 80s Crimson
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3433 on: May 22, 2024, 09:17:40 AM »
I'm actually confused about this because I thought I saw an interview where MM had a adrenaline condition and that's why he needed the click.

Anyone else read this?
Yes. It's in here somewhere: https://www.drumeo.com/beat/mike-mangini-slicing-up-time/
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3434 on: May 22, 2024, 09:22:43 AM »

Oh yea that's true too! I completely forgot about that.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3435 on: May 22, 2024, 09:35:39 AM »

I don't recall that at all as being the need to have a click.

Did JP use a click on his G3 tours with Mangini?

Is DT drumming more intricate?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #3436 on: May 22, 2024, 09:39:16 AM »
MM era DT drumming? Yes, very much so.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3437 on: May 22, 2024, 12:46:53 PM »
Did JP use a click on his G3 tours with Mangini?
Good question. Max, being the MM guru that you are, do you know?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #3438 on: May 22, 2024, 03:53:38 PM »
Not sure actually, sorry. I'll have to dig through some of the interviews (and listen to some of the material, if it's on YT  that is, which it might be)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3439 on: May 22, 2024, 03:58:45 PM »
Good question.

Well, I only asked because someone made it sound like he asked for them to control his adrenaline, which I do not think is correct. I don't believe that Mike asked to play to a click in DT at all. If he did, I guess did he ask to use one on JP's tours, which I doubt.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #3440 on: May 22, 2024, 04:00:41 PM »
Good question. Max, being the MM guru that you are, do you know?
OK, so after a bit of a rummage he said here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7UlBm-iuP8) that it was a case by case (song by song) basis with John during G3. But it largely was with the click. That's the best thing I can answer right now. Hope that helps innit.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3441 on: May 22, 2024, 05:57:13 PM »
Well, I only asked because someone made it sound like he asked for them to control his adrenaline, which I do not think is correct. I don't believe that Mike asked to play to a click in DT at all. If he did, I guess did he ask to use one on JP's tours, which I doubt.
If you re-read what I posted here:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58684.msg3116216#msg3116216
you'll see that this whole "control his adrenaline" idea is *not* the reason why the click came into the picture. He offered to do it to help with syncing the video.

OK, so after a bit of a rummage he said here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7UlBm-iuP8) that it was a case by case (song by song) basis with John during G3. But it largely was with the click. That's the best thing I can answer right now. Hope that helps innit.
Thanks for the link. I've seen that video but it's been a while. From what I get (he talks about G3 at about 7:30 into the video), it sounds like he was on a click even then, although it sounds like it was much more simple than on the DT tour. He described it as a metronome on his iPad. He did say that he could turn it off, like he did when playing certain songs or parts of songs with Vai, but with JP being a perfectionist, I get the impression he'd probably had MM play with it the entire time.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3442 on: May 22, 2024, 06:07:10 PM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58684.msg3116216#msg3116216
you'll see that this whole "control his adrenaline" idea is *not* the reason why the click came into the picture. He offered to do it to help with syncing the video.

Oh, I knew it wasn't. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #3443 on: May 22, 2024, 06:16:40 PM »

Thanks for the link. I've seen that video but it's been a while. From what I get (he talks about G3 at about 7:30 into the video), it sounds like he was on a click even then, although it sounds like it was much more simple than on the DT tour. He described it as a metronome on his iPad. He did say that he could turn it off, like he did when playing certain songs or parts of songs with Vai, but with JP being a perfectionist, I get the impression he'd probably had MM play with it the entire time.
Yeah, John being John, MM most likely had a click running entirely even then. (this had also been my impression after I watched some live clips of them)

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #3444 on: May 23, 2024, 06:02:18 AM »
John practices with a metronome all the time so makes sense he feels more comfortable with a click sometimes.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3445 on: May 23, 2024, 07:17:04 AM »
John practices with a metronome all the time so makes sense he feels more comfortable with a click sometimes.
I doubt that's it.  Probably more just a sense of control.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #3446 on: May 23, 2024, 11:04:45 AM »
I had a dream last night that I scored front row tickets an upcoming North American show, and sure enough, Mike Mangini had a front row ticket next to me (in said dream).  I completely spaced on buying a meet & greet package and had serious FOMO for not even thinking about purchasing it.

But my question from all this is:  what is the likelihood that Mangini goes to a show on this upcoming tour?

Sorry if this has already been debated elsewhere.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3447 on: May 23, 2024, 11:19:19 AM »
But my question from all this is:  what is the likelihood that Mangini goes to a show on this upcoming tour?

I'd say maybe at a Boston show at some point, but that depends how well he took the split. Publicly he obviously managed things very well but that doesn't mean it was easy for him on a personal level. Being let go from your main job after 13 years because they wanted the old guy back in has to hurt, at least I know it would to me. What I think, though, is if there's ever another special kind of show like what they did with Charlie and Derek, I'd bet they/MP would ask for MM to participate and he probably would.

From my own personal experience, I know a thing or two about replacing someone who was a bit of a pain to deal with professionally and who left on his own but was charismatic enough to have won other people's hearts to the point where they still value and miss him because they don't know the full context of things. So I know what it is to be the new guy in charge of something and not being liked as much as your predecesor. You can make things work on a professional level, but their allegiance/respect lies somewhere else, and that's not fun.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3448 on: May 23, 2024, 12:26:24 PM »
I had a dream last night that I scored front row tickets an upcoming North American show, and sure enough, Mike Mangini had a front row ticket next to me (in said dream).  I completely spaced on buying a meet & greet package and had serious FOMO for not even thinking about purchasing it.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he attended.

• PR permission
« Reply #3449 on: May 31, 2024, 04:44:26 AM »

I don't think it will happen. He was released (assuming this word is OK to use because it doesn't carry the weight of 'fired' but pls confirm, Mods?) very recently.

I know in his statements thereafter it sounded like he was totally cool with it and was immediately onto something else but I doubt it's so clear cut deep inside. He was so stoked to be in the Dream Theater - for sure, the biggest role of his career - that I think he was probably extremely disappointed in what happened. His public statements were him putting on his big boy pants/being very professional about it but things are still too fresh in my view.

I don't think there will be any guest appearances or things like MM in the crowd on this tour but you never know what the future brings. Down the road I could see him going to a show or joining one of JP's guitar camps but it is probably too soon. Maybe there could even be a guest double-drum solo appearance one day but it's gonna take some time for anything like that.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3450 on: May 31, 2024, 05:46:33 AM »
No argument, just observation, but...  I don't know how you can say any of that without it being a pure guess or simply a projection of your feelings. 

• PR permission
« Reply #3451 on: May 31, 2024, 07:01:14 AM »
No argument, just observation, but...  I don't know how you can say any of that without it being a pure guess or simply a projection of your feelings.

As opposed to what? My coming here and proclaiming I have an insight to what is definitely taking place in the future?

My post was full of 'I think' so figured that even if someone couldn't understand the context at all, it was still pretty clear most of it is opinion. To the extent that it is required because I have confused a forum member into thinking I can predict the future, let it be known henceforth I am no Nostradamus.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 07:07:24 AM by TheBarstoolWarrior »

• PR permission
« Reply #3452 on: May 31, 2024, 07:16:04 AM »
I've added a disclaimer to my profile...hope this avoids any confusion going forward.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3453 on: May 31, 2024, 12:27:56 PM »
I've added a disclaimer to my profile...hope this avoids any confusion going forward.

You lost me at "I cannot predict the future".  WTF, man!?!

:) :) :)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3454 on: June 02, 2024, 08:34:35 PM »
As opposed to what? My coming here and proclaiming I have an insight to what is definitely taking place in the future?

My post was full of 'I think' so figured that even if someone couldn't understand the context at all, it was still pretty clear most of it is opinion. To the extent that it is required because I have confused a forum member into thinking I can predict the future, let it be known henceforth I am no Nostradamus.

I thought that was pretty clear. I'm not sure why it had to be pointed out by Stadler.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3455 on: June 03, 2024, 04:47:04 AM »
I thought that was pretty clear. I'm not sure why it had to be pointed out by Stadler.

Even more when most of the time -I would say in a 90%- what people do here is just "a pure guess or simply a projection of your/their feelings."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3456 on: June 03, 2024, 07:50:10 AM »
Look I feel I owe no explanation, but I think we're in a special area here.  Yeah, all we do is "speculate", and I get the joy in it for some people.   But I think when we are trying to speculate what another person - who may or may not actually be reading your comments - is ACTUALLY FEELING it then goes beyond opinion, and as I alluded to in my observation, it's often ends up being something more that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the person you're speculating about.  He said he was okay with it; why isn't that enough for you?

Frankly, I wasn't going to go there, but since somehow I'm the one being called out, I'll be honest: I think it's rude and disrespectful to try to speculate what someone is actually feeling when they've actually told you, for better or worse.  You don't have to believe him, that's on you, but to then try to ascertain exactly HOW he lied to you? I think that crosses the line. I don't know if any of you are married or have a significant other, but try for the next week, every time something happens in your household tell your partner, "but I think, deep down, you're deeply disappointed" or "but I think, deep down, you're actually really happy right now".  See how long that lasts. 

And at the end of the day, none of you have to agree with me, or change your behavior for me; I'm not telling anyone what to do. I'm pointing out - observing - how some MIGHT take it.  You do you and make your own decisions from that.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3457 on: June 03, 2024, 07:55:34 AM »
State of you lot arguing about this while nobody's telling me what they think of the venues I've asked about in the European tour thread. Shame on you all :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3458 on: June 03, 2024, 08:02:31 AM »
70 pages in and there hasn't even been a single–I literally can't wait for the 'man, it's so good to hear some groove again' posts setting off firestorms the second we hear a 10 second snippet of this thing  :corn

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3459 on: June 03, 2024, 08:56:24 AM »
How would we feel if this is just a one album/tour deal with MP for the 40th anniversary, and MM is back for the next album/tour cycle?
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3460 on: June 03, 2024, 09:55:33 AM »
How would we feel if this is just a one album/tour deal with MP for the 40th anniversary, and MM is back for the next album/tour cycle?
I would feel confused as fuck because something like that would be announced in advance :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #3461 on: June 03, 2024, 10:09:01 AM »

I would feel like Dream Theater suddenly lost their collective minds :lol (not because I dislike MM, but because that would be so fricking weird)

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3462 on: June 03, 2024, 10:45:11 AM »
only if MP died or something that would pass  :mehlin

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3463 on: June 03, 2024, 11:57:07 AM »
only if MP died or something that would pass  :mehlin

Let's just wait until he quits again :lol

(just joking btw, don't roast me :rollin)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3464 on: June 03, 2024, 01:01:12 PM »

Now I see why the word "curious" is in your username :biggrin: