Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 132545 times)

Cocopjojo and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #2135 on: November 30, 2023, 06:53:23 PM »
BW, that all makes total sense. I agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #2136 on: November 30, 2023, 08:14:30 PM »
And he did something similar with the Progressive Nation tours in 2009 with a guarantee of ANtR, ARoP and TCoT

Tiny, tiny nitpick. The Asheville, NC PN show only featured ANTR and TCOT. ARoP was replaced with Constant Motion that night. An exception, not the rule obviously. Your point stands. 🙂
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2137 on: November 30, 2023, 10:51:03 PM »
I've said a few times over the years that I'm all for Metro Part 3 to close out the trilogy but it doesn't even have to be an entire album, just a long concept song to bookend with Part 1 and perhaps on its own disc like 6DoIT.

My justification for a Part 3 is that people like a happy ending and right now the bad guy got away with it (again) at the end of Part 2 by killing Nicholas (again) and then continuing to live his best life.  He needs to be brought to justice by another Nicholas.  It could even be a reincarnated Victoria that was alive when the therapist killed Nicholas and she somehow tracks him down and catches/kills him.

Meh, I think it'd be fun.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2138 on: December 01, 2023, 02:08:04 AM »
Honestly, scenes is such a masterpiece, with an ending (and white noise going to the glass prison btw), that writing some follow up would mean they don't consider it so.
It's like mpt3, even as a song, can only fail.

I hope they'll go full prog and take some risks...I would be so disappointed to hear 40 minutes of chugchug and 40 minutes of inspiration corner
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2139 on: December 01, 2023, 04:08:58 AM »
I think the band putting extra pressure on themselves to write M3 just wouldn't be very smart.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2140 on: December 01, 2023, 04:28:10 AM »
I'd add the inclusion of At Wit's End also.  Even though it was the current album cycle, they modified the set to include that song specifically largely in response to fan requests.

Yes, but by the time they did this it was unrealistic to see another show that tour (it was in a not-so-nearby city that would've meant travel and time off that was already too late to plan for) and if I remember correctly we even had tickets to another band that same night closer to home. So I missed the chance to see a song that I love because it wasn't in the normal setlist.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline Awaken

« Reply #2141 on: December 01, 2023, 04:34:22 AM »
I'd add the inclusion of At Wit's End also.  Even though it was the current album cycle, they modified the set to include that song specifically largely in response to fan requests.

Yes, but by the time they did this it was unrealistic to see another show that tour (it was in a not-so-nearby city that would've meant travel and time off that was already too late to plan for) and if I remember correctly we even had tickets to another band that same night closer to home. So I missed the chance to see a song that I love because it wasn't in the normal setlist.

Sort of same boat.  I had seen this tour in CT when they were closing w Pull Me Under (if I recall correctly).  When they booked the second leg and changed the encore to At Wit's End, that alone got me to head to Albany to see the (almost) exact same show just to see that song live.  I really wish they had it in their set the first time around, though.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2142 on: December 01, 2023, 04:53:59 AM »
Sort of same boat.  I had seen this tour in CT when they were closing w Pull Me Under (if I recall correctly).  When they booked the second leg and changed the encore to At Wit's End, that alone got me to head to Albany to see the (almost) exact same show just to see that song live.  I really wish they had it in their set the first time around, though.

Yes!!! We must be in the same area. Exactly this!

This is why I prefer an entirely static setlist. With the alternatives I've only ever been burnt.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2143 on: December 01, 2023, 07:25:13 AM »
That is why I believe that the business and the music are connected at the hip and inseparable for 99% of successful acts. I personally don't believe any consequential decision DT makes including using an 8 string, switching record labels, and yes, including changing the drummer, has zero to do with the business side of things. DT is THE thing for the band members. Besides MP they have no other enduring projects of any commercial relevance.
Woah woah. Don't be disrespecting JP's beard oil products now... :police:
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2144 on: December 01, 2023, 07:52:51 AM »
Very true.  And the thing is with Space Dye Vest, that was a treat that every city on the tour got, not just one or two cities. That was one great thing about the static set lists; when the band pulled out something especially special in the last 13 years, you pretty much knew every city on the tour was getting it in most cases (Don't Look Past Me being an exception).

IMO the best solution is to have some tentpole songs and rotate the "filler" tracks. It creates interest while lowering the amount of songs to learn and lowering the chances that missing a particular song causes grief.

I don't know if this is what you mean, Reap, but just don't rotate the special stuff. Play SDV at all the shows, but rotate, say, "Pull Me Under" and "Strange Deja Vu" or something like that.  The songs that already get adequate airing.  Those are (potentially) easier to rotate anyway, since they are "under the fingers" so to speak.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #2145 on: December 01, 2023, 08:16:12 AM »
No Metropolis 3 please. We live in the age of unnecessary sequels and reboots and requels and whatnot in movies and TV. I don't want DT going down that path.
Bringing back MP and just trying to repeat the past instead of doing something new would, for me, be the ultimate sign that DT has run its course and has nothing new or interesting to say.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #2146 on: December 01, 2023, 08:21:34 AM »
I really doubt Metropolis Part 3 is a possibility. As a song within an album I think it could work (even better if it were like a seconds-long joke track [secret track? in the streaming era?] where we hear a member going "What, you thought we were doing that? Come on!").

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #2147 on: December 01, 2023, 08:52:30 AM »
No Metropolis 3 please. We live in the age of unnecessary sequels and reboots and requels and whatnot in movies and TV. I don't want DT going down that path.
Bringing back MP and just trying to repeat the past instead of doing something new would, for me, be the ultimate sign that DT has run its course and has nothing new or interesting to say.

I gotta agree. I adore Pt1 and Pt2, but Pt3 would seem too hamfisted to me.

Let's try something new that doesn't sound like an imitation of 2112. I think having MP back in the band will be good for this since he seems to be the movie fanatic as well and can bring in some good ideas.

Unless they have a really good idea for a Pt3 and it came naturally. Not forced.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #2148 on: December 01, 2023, 09:11:43 AM »
I think it's more likely that JP wanted to experiment with an 8-string, so he got his buddies at EB/MM to create a signature model for him, than that he created a song to sell guitars.

If JP had been all about selling 8-string guitars, he would've done this years ago. The fact that he took this long to record his first song on an 8-string guitar seems to indicate that the commercial aspect of it wasn't a high priority for him at all.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2149 on: December 01, 2023, 09:12:34 AM »
I really doubt Metropolis Part 3 is a possibility. As a song within an album I think it could work (even better if it were like a seconds-long joke track [secret track? in the streaming era?] where we hear a member going "What, you thought we were doing that? Come on!").

They should do a Metropolis pt 3, 25 minutes.

24 minutes and a half is the static noise from the end of Finally Free. Then someone comes in, finds Nick's body giving a gasp and shuts down the vinyl playing.

;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2150 on: December 01, 2023, 09:24:59 AM »
I think it's more likely that JP wanted to experiment with an 8-string, so he got his buddies at EB/MM to create a signature model for him, than that he created a song to sell guitars.

If JP had been all about selling 8-string guitars, he would've done this years ago. The fact that he took this long to record his first song on an 8-string guitar seems to indicate that the commercial aspect of it wasn't a high priority for him at all.

IIRC, he wanted to use an 8 for a long time but didn't want to use another brand and had to wait for EBMM to finally get him a prototype of their own. Definitely not a sales move at first.

Having said that... coming up with new models every single year like it's the next iPhone or something and charging as much as they do for their guitars feels a lot more like a cashgrab move.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2151 on: December 01, 2023, 09:37:57 AM »
I've said a few times over the years that I'm all for Metro Part 3 to close out the trilogy but it doesn't even have to be an entire album, just a long concept song to bookend with Part 1 and perhaps on its own disc like 6DoIT.

My justification for a Part 3 is that people like a happy ending and right now the bad guy got away with it (again) at the end of Part 2 by killing Nicholas (again) and then continuing to live his best life.  He needs to be brought to justice by another Nicholas.  It could even be a reincarnated Victoria that was alive when the therapist killed Nicholas and she somehow tracks him down and catches/kills him.

I'm not exactly clamoring for Met III, but if they were to do it, I agree with you on how to go about it.  Reincarnation stories are usually about righting past wrongs / correcting the mistakes from past lives.  So, in that way, a follow up would make sense to wrap up the reincarnation cycle.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2152 on: December 01, 2023, 10:26:48 AM »

I'm not exactly clamoring for Met III, but if they were to do it, I agree with you on how to go about it.  Reincarnation stories are usually about righting past wrongs / correcting the mistakes from past lives.  So, in that way, a follow up would make sense to wrap up the reincarnation cycle.

There's a little bit of meta stuff there too; the reincarnation of the classic era of the band...

Offline emtee

« Reply #2153 on: December 01, 2023, 10:41:57 AM »
Someone mentioned just doing a Met3 song and I actually like that idea. Maybe a 15-20'ish epic as an album closer.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2154 on: December 01, 2023, 10:51:12 AM »
If they were to do it, I'd love to see it be more of a short 3 minute song or something completely the opposite of what everyone would expect. Not a joke track like porcacultor was suggesting, but something that would fulfill the request and yet not consume another album or significant section of the album.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2155 on: December 01, 2023, 11:21:27 AM »
Or maybe just not do it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2156 on: December 01, 2023, 11:24:28 AM »
Someone mentioned just doing a Met3 song and I actually like that idea. Maybe a 15-20'ish epic as an album closer.
It's a little fan service-y for my tastes but I won't deny that it could be pretty awesome if done correctly.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online HOF

« Reply #2157 on: December 01, 2023, 03:04:53 PM »
They should call the next album Metropolis 3 but then just make a regular album that has nothing to do with the story.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2158 on: December 01, 2023, 04:12:23 PM »
Here's an interview with Dino Jelusick where he talks about his involvement with Mike Mangini's solo album - he recommended oe of the guitar players and was going to sing on the album as well, but his litigation with Frontiers stopped him from doing so. It's at the 12 minute mark, and he also talks about having long calls with Jordan Rudess and about congratulating MP on his return to DT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FgyuSvpadQ&t=1042s

@Rodrigo....have you put in a request with DT's management for an interview regarding MP's return, and if so, how have they responded?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #2159 on: December 01, 2023, 06:00:22 PM »
They should call the next album Metropolis 3 but then just make a regular album that has nothing to do with the story.

Or, perhaps even better way to troll the fanbase, just skip Part 3 altogether and go straight to Part 4  :rollin

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2160 on: December 01, 2023, 06:09:04 PM »
Or, perhaps even better way to troll the fanbase, just skip Part 3 altogether and go straight to Part 4  :rollin
The only problem with that is then there will continue to be the inevitable "what happened to part 3?" questions as well as "when are you gonna do part 3?"  :facepalm:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2161 on: December 01, 2023, 06:37:14 PM »
Metropolis Pt 4: Exponential Growth

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2162 on: December 01, 2023, 07:31:00 PM »
Here's an interview with Dino Jelusick where he talks about his involvement with Mike Mangini's solo album - he recommended oe of the guitar players and was going to sing on the album as well, but his litigation with Frontiers stopped him from doing so. It's at the 12 minute mark, and he also talks about having long calls with Jordan Rudess and about congratulating MP on his return to DT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FgyuSvpadQ&t=1042s

@Rodrigo....have you put in a request with DT's management for an interview regarding MP's return, and if so, how have they responded?

Not sure if Rodrigo may have something specific to add, but from my contact with the promotion team, everything is on hold at the moment, and they are going to start rolling out press, interviews, etc. at a later date (I do not have the specific timeline.  I just know that for what I am working on, I was basically told "not yet--we'll let you know when we're ready to run with all that.").
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2163 on: December 01, 2023, 07:38:38 PM »

Not sure if Rodrigo may have something specific to add, but from my contact with the promotion team, everything is on hold at the moment, and they are going to start rolling out press, interviews, etc. at a later date (I do not have the specific timeline.  I just know that for what I am working on, I was basically told "not yet--we'll let you know when we're ready to run with all that.").

Bosk, that's great! Thank you for responding. I was just wondering.

You're working on a DTF Q&A I hope!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2164 on: December 01, 2023, 08:07:42 PM »

I'd be pleasantly surprised if that was the case. Wasn't MP not too fond of DTF? (to put it nicely)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2165 on: December 01, 2023, 10:14:07 PM »

Sort of like Traveling Wilburys :lol

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2166 on: December 02, 2023, 07:04:19 AM »

I'd be pleasantly surprised if that was the case. Wasn't MP not too fond of DTF? (to put it nicely)

Maybe is with another band member, if that's what he is working on

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2167 on: December 02, 2023, 10:48:24 AM »

I haven't...but that's a great idea! I'll do it.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2168 on: December 02, 2023, 08:57:42 PM »
Very true.  And the thing is with Space Dye Vest, that was a treat that every city on the tour got, not just one or two cities. That was one great thing about the static set lists; when the band pulled out something especially special in the last 13 years, you pretty much knew every city on the tour was getting it in most cases (Don't Look Past Me being an exception).

IMO the best solution is to have some tentpole songs and rotate the "filler" tracks. It creates interest while lowering the amount of songs to learn and lowering the chances that missing a particular song causes grief.

I don't know if this is what you mean, Reap, but just don't rotate the special stuff. Play SDV at all the shows, but rotate, say, "Pull Me Under" and "Strange Deja Vu" or something like that.  The songs that already get adequate airing.  Those are (potentially) easier to rotate anyway, since they are "under the fingers" so to speak.

We are on the same page.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2169 on: December 02, 2023, 08:59:10 PM »
I think the band putting extra pressure on themselves to write M3 just wouldn't be very smart.

I agree. Would like them to just focus on making good music.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again