Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 124762 times)

obro, Lynxo and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #2205 on: December 05, 2023, 06:09:51 AM »
Judging by who Geddy and Alex have played with already, as much as I would love to see MP play with them, I highly doubt he would even be given much consideration. I'd expect someone like Danny Carey or Matt Cameron to get the gig if they were just gonna go with a single drummer. Would also love to see MM play with them, too. He would actually be a better fit than MP given his playing style (learning the parts and holding true to them) and his personality might be a better fit too. But I don't think they would go with him either.

I saw some rumors around Danny Carry doing it, it'd be interested. Tool is on tour now but at the pace they record music Danny could easily do a limited run of shows with the guys.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2206 on: December 05, 2023, 06:21:19 AM »
And I'm pretty sure they'd all jump over each other to make sure that it's not RUSH without Neil, and yada yada yada.
*shrugs*

If Geddy and Alex are playing, and THEY say it's Rush, then it's Rush.

Of course.  I was talking about Geddy and Alex.  I can't imagine them not saying at some point "it's not really Rush without Neil", the same way Plant and Page continually say "it's not Led Zeppelin without a Bonham".

And let's not forget Rush we're a band with an album before Neil joined, so if they returned with a final album and/or tour without him, it would just basically book-end with their debut.

-Marc.

Be careful what you wish for; we saw how that went with Genesis.  ;) :) :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2207 on: December 05, 2023, 06:29:36 AM »
Even if Geddy and Alex get another drummer, I doubt they are doing a major tour. Maybe a handful of special dates. Might not be impossible for MP to do that in addition to DT.

But I think Scotty is right. It’s probably gonna be someone like Cameron, Carey, or Grohl.

Could Matt Cameron or Dave Grohl really fill the seat of Neil?  Carey not a problem, obviously.

I don't know that Grohl has the finesse, but Matt Cameron is an incredibly skilled drummer, far more than his work with Soundgarden or PJ gives him credit for. He also is an excellent singer (PJ's secret weapon live), so I could see him really adding something to a Rush tribute in a way that embraces Peart's legacy without merely copying his parts.

You guys are more invested in this discussion than I am, but if you're asking me, I don't want Dave Grohl within 150 yards of this project.   Just...  I respect him, but not a huge fan. I just think he dilutes everything he touches.  As for Cameron, he absolutely could do this gig.   I saw Temple Of The Dog live at Madison Square Garden, and their cover of Achilles Last Stand was the best Zeppelin cover I've ever seen personally live, and it was 100% due to Matt Cameron. He GOT it.  He knew how to move and flex the song in the perfect way and the band just followed him and it was mesmerizing. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2208 on: December 05, 2023, 06:38:15 AM »

You guys are more invested in this discussion than I am, but if you're asking me, I don't want Dave Grohl within 150 yards of this project.   Just...  I respect him, but not a huge fan. I just think he dilutes everything he touches.  As for Cameron, he absolutely could do this gig.   I saw Temple Of The Dog live at Madison Square Garden, and their cover of Achilles Last Stand was the best Zeppelin cover I've ever seen personally live, and it was 100% due to Matt Cameron. He GOT it.  He knew how to move and flex the song in the perfect way and the band just followed him and it was mesmerizing.

Ooh, is there a clip of that. I'd check that out at least. I'm not familiar with Cameron's work at all since I can't stand Soundgarden. I did see them twice and I do remember basically just watching the drummer, but that was over 30 years ago.

I think there's a million drummers that could do this, but they're going to pick someone that they feel they can ENJOY playing with in a personal sense. The one thing Dave Grohl has going for him is the emittance of joy and enthusiasm that would surely satisfy Geddy and Alex, and certainly his experience of losing his own drummer may endear him even more, but this doesn't feel like a Grohl gig. Who knows.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2209 on: December 05, 2023, 06:42:59 AM »

Ooh, is there a clip of that. I'd check that out at least. I'm not familiar with Cameron's work at all since I can't stand Soundgarden. I did see them twice and I do remember basically just watching the drummer, but that was over 30 years ago.

I think there's a million drummers that could do this, but they're going to pick someone that they feel they can ENJOY playing with in a personal sense. The one thing Dave Grohl has going for him is the emittance of joy and enthusiasm that would surely satisfy Geddy and Alex, and certainly his experience of losing his own drummer may endear him even more, but this doesn't feel like a Grohl gig. Who knows.
Maybe this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajRr80XPgVc

Edit: Better angle for Matt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QykyT987Mk
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2210 on: December 05, 2023, 06:51:52 AM »

My friend Jim and I would always wait for the new Soundgarden to find "the fill".  Jim had a theory that every Soundgarden record, no matter how good or bad, had at least one MONSTER fill from Cameron buried somewhere on it.  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2211 on: December 05, 2023, 06:53:32 AM »
That's be like sifting through a plateful of onions to find the one chocolate chip..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2212 on: December 05, 2023, 07:30:15 AM »
That's be like sifting through a plateful of onions to find the one chocolate chip..

But I love onions!!!!  :) :)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2213 on: December 05, 2023, 08:04:18 AM »
I wonder about if the drummer is capable of Triggering certain sounds and parts live is in consideration. Remember that Neil also triggered things live.

This is a reason why I think Danny Carey is a good fit as he does trigger things live in Tool.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2214 on: December 05, 2023, 08:16:00 AM »
Danny Carey could flat out do it, as could Cameron.

I actually think that, depending on the setlist, Grohl probably COULD do it.  I just don't think that he would WANT to.  At least, not for a full tour.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2215 on: December 05, 2023, 09:32:20 AM »

I actually think that, depending on the setlist, Grohl probably COULD do it.  I just don't think that he would WANT to.  At least, not for a full tour.

Yeah, one thing Carey has going for him is he plays for the least hard working band in the business. Once their tour is done, his calendar is wide open for the next 15 years.

Grohl on the other hand seems to keep pretty busy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2216 on: December 05, 2023, 09:49:25 AM »

Grohl has the mid-80s Phil Collins-esque tendency to make it all about him though.   Think of Live Aid and the Concorde and the Zep reunion, etc.  I think I'd want someone to STFU and play drums.  No documentaries, no fanfare, no "look how humble I am even as I broadcast how great and versatile I am by doing this".   I dunno; I know people love him but I just don't see it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2217 on: December 05, 2023, 09:55:16 AM »
That’s fair , Bill.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2218 on: December 05, 2023, 09:56:51 AM »
If Rush said they were just going to do a small limited run tour, I think Grohl could and maybe would do it.  Anything longer, I'm not sure there's a point for Grohl to commit to Rush when he has Foo Fighters.  Just doesn't make any sense in my mind.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2219 on: December 05, 2023, 10:11:14 AM »
If Rush said they were just going to do a small limited run tour, I think Grohl could and maybe would do it.  Anything longer, I'm not sure there's a point for Grohl to commit to Rush when he has Foo Fighters.  Just doesn't make any sense in my mind.
Exactly.

And to your point, Bill, I absolutely think that for any such shows, he would suppress himself in order to celebrate Rush.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2220 on: December 05, 2023, 10:48:03 AM »
Grohl has described his left foot as, "retarded" as it relates to double bass. Not a great fit.

Carey has a very unique and discernable style and feel to his playing. IMO, it would really stick out as opposed to blending in.

They need someone who can mimic NP's parts and have it feel and sound like a fit...unless that's not what they're looking for.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2221 on: December 05, 2023, 10:54:23 AM »
Here's one:  Tim Alexander from Primus.    They opened for Rush, have been unabashed fans of the band for decades, and have even toured covering a Rush album in its entirety (and not a "popular" one either; they toured "A Farewell To Kings").   He's ABSOLUTELY got the chops to play the gig, is a respectful enough fan to play them faithfully but still inspire the other two to push themselves, and is anonymous and humble enough to recognize that it's not his deal.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2222 on: December 05, 2023, 10:56:40 AM »

Grohl has the mid-80s Phil Collins-esque tendency to make it all about him though.   Think of Live Aid and the Concorde and the Zep reunion, etc.  I think I'd want someone to STFU and play drums.  No documentaries, no fanfare, no "look how humble I am even as I broadcast how great and versatile I am by doing this".   I dunno; I know people love him but I just don't see it.

So ... no Portnoy!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2223 on: December 05, 2023, 10:59:23 AM »
All this talk prompted me to revisit DT's cover of Xanadu from the Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary release. I'm not a fan of cover songs, really, but that's a very nice one. MM on drums.

https://youtu.be/LP0I9LfcTlM?si=Tlsy59mUvCmrHDvq
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2224 on: December 05, 2023, 11:06:00 AM »
Here's one:  Tim Alexander from Primus.    They opened for Rush, have been unabashed fans of the band for decades, and have even toured covering a Rush album in its entirety (and not a "popular" one either; they toured "A Farewell To Kings").   He's ABSOLUTELY got the chops to play the gig, is a respectful enough fan to play them faithfully but still inspire the other two to push themselves, and is anonymous and humble enough to recognize that it's not his deal.
He could definitely do it.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2225 on: December 05, 2023, 12:37:13 PM »

Yeah, thought of him as well, couldn’t remember the name!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2226 on: December 05, 2023, 01:00:58 PM »

He could definitely do justice with these songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2227 on: December 05, 2023, 01:19:29 PM »

So ... no Portnoy!

:lol

Portnoy and Grohl are definitely similar in that regard. They are not drummers who just sit back and play drums like most drummers do.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2228 on: December 05, 2023, 01:29:31 PM »

If Geddy and Alex are playing, and THEY say it's Rush, then it's Rush.

Agreed. They were Rush without Neil Peart in the beginning. They can be Rush without Neil Peart at the end, if they so choose.

Frankly, I think Ged and Al deserve to make the decision about when Rush gets retired. Neil retired on them (understandable) and then sadly he got sick, and to maintain his privacy, it's not like Ged and Al could have done Rush then. Now that Neil is no longer here (RIP, legend), and enough time has passed, I think it is well within their right to decide how Rush ends, or continues.

For the love of God though, no holograms.  :lol
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 01:35:36 PM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2229 on: December 05, 2023, 01:33:01 PM »
Even if Geddy and Alex get another drummer, I doubt they are doing a major tour. Maybe a handful of special dates. Might not be impossible for MP to do that in addition to DT.

But I think Scotty is right. It’s probably gonna be someone like Cameron, Carey, or Grohl.

Could Matt Cameron or Dave Grohl really fill the seat of Neil?  Carey not a problem, obviously.

I don't know that Grohl has the finesse, but Matt Cameron is an incredibly skilled drummer, far more than his work with Soundgarden or PJ gives him credit for. He also is an excellent singer (PJ's secret weapon live), so I could see him really adding something to a Rush tribute in a way that embraces Peart's legacy without merely copying his parts.

Yeah, when typing that I was wondering if I was selling Cameron short.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2230 on: December 05, 2023, 03:08:54 PM »
Boy, no kidding lol

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2231 on: December 05, 2023, 03:09:55 PM »
maybe a mike portnoy hologram could tour with rush
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2232 on: December 05, 2023, 03:13:07 PM »
maybe a mike portnoy hologram could tour with rush

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2233 on: December 05, 2023, 05:51:16 PM »
Geddy, Alex, a hologram of Dio and an avatar of Peter Criss on drums.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2234 on: December 05, 2023, 07:11:51 PM »

Maybe this?

The video in the second link is brutal. But thank you.

Yeah, I guess you had to be there. :)

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2235 on: December 05, 2023, 09:52:26 PM »
What if this was all "part of the plan"?

We know MP is a huge fan of music history and lore.  MP is the archivist-setlist-bootleg-fanservice guy in the extreme.

Many legendary bands have a break up/reunion (or 2 or 3...) so maybe this break up and reunification was all scripted*?  Here we are, loads and loads of discussion and speculation and excitement about what's happening next, so if MP/DT wanted something legen...dary this would be the thing to do.

I doubt it but I've been thinking about this for a few years.

* Alternate ending would be MM stays with DT until DT retires with the stipulation that they'd be making at least as much money and popularity as with MP but if not then they go with the MP ending where he comes back and they are back on top.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2236 on: December 06, 2023, 02:53:20 AM »
What would be the purpose to 'script' this over a 13 year period?  What would be their desired result of doing this for so long?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2237 on: December 06, 2023, 06:02:10 AM »
What would be the purpose to 'script' this over a 13 year period?  What would be their desired result of doing this for so long?

Yeah, I'm with wolfking here–a 13-year plan makes for a fun story, but in reality, it really stretches the boundaries of plausibility.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2238 on: December 06, 2023, 06:27:09 AM »
What if this was all "part of the plan"?
Nah

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2239 on: December 06, 2023, 06:39:01 AM »

Maybe this?

The video in the second link is brutal. But thank you.

Yeah, I guess you had to be there. :)

You can actually see me, vaguely, in the second video.  I'm to the very right, upper corner (I was standing about in the 10th row or so at the end of the row).   Maybe it was a "you had to be there" but I was and it was awesome.   The videos don't really do justice to the driving nature of the song.    Though Chris sounds better in the video than I remember live.   If you don't like Chris Cornell, Temple of the Dog is not for you.