Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 124697 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #490 on: October 25, 2023, 04:10:41 PM »
All this talk about whether it was MM's decision or "the band's" decision, does that mean MM was never considered part of "the band"?  After 13 years and five albums, "the band" can decide he's out, even though he's part of the band?

:lol one thing today has been amusing to watch is 10+ years of people pretending they liked MM to suddenly collapse now that he's out. really seems like the vast majority of people were just waiting for this news for the last decade (myself included, honestly)

That was actually a serious question, although kinda I think I already know the answer.  JP is basically "the band".  Dream Theater is who and what he says it is.

JM seems far too laid back to argue with him, JR and JP seem to pretty much agree on things anyway, and I have no idea where JLB fits in.  MP and JP discussed replacing JLB years ago when MP was in the band the first time, and that's something that could only happen if JLB somehow had less than full member status.  MP seems to have never forgotten that JLB was not the original singer, but someone they'd found later, and therefore he could be replaced.

I was in a band years ago (which some DTF members probably remember) that went through a number of lead singers and lead guitarists, but the band leader (the rhythm guitarist) came to consider himself and the bassist, drummer and keyboard player (me) the "core" of the band.  When auditioning singers or lead guitarists, we were the voting members.  Essentially we were "the band" and I'm sure it came as a surprise to some former members of "the band" when they were voted out during a voting session that they weren't even involved in.

I guess what I'm saying is that it may have been a "band" decision, but I'm sure that the five members of Dream Theater did not all have equal weight in that decision.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #491 on: October 25, 2023, 04:11:36 PM »
all i know is that if there isn't an "eat my ass and balls" reference on the next album it won't really feel like my dad is back in the band
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #492 on: October 25, 2023, 04:14:22 PM »
all i know is that if there isn't an "eat my ass and balls" reference on the next album it won't really feel like my dad is back in the band

"Eat my ass and balls" polybius cipher hidden somewhere in the next album  :lol

Offline Kocak

« Reply #493 on: October 25, 2023, 04:14:57 PM »
It'll be interesting to see which of his previous roles MP will actually end up retaking apart from being the drummer.

Producer?
Creative Decisions?
Setlist juggler?

Will the other guys accept JP and MP being 100 percent in control of everything?

I know MM is a class act and a great guy, I think the farewell to him could have been handled better by the band, not just announcing that MP is back - but a proper farewell to the guy who has served the band for the last 13 years, more than half of MP's first tenure with the band. Maybe a video? An MM retrospective, celebrating his 13 years with the band and then the announcement of MP as the new drummer? I understand that this is a business decision but I think how you say goodbye to people matters greatly.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #494 on: October 25, 2023, 04:16:47 PM »
On Facebook  Jeff Scott Soto posted commenting (paraphrasing) "now that the cat is out of the bag..." (yes, somewhat related to that talk about Billy Sheehan's reaction) and from Melody Portnoy (paraphrasing) "it was the hardest news to keep secret...". I can only imagine when this decision was made. Maybe some insider folks in the forum knows when?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline don_waka

« Reply #495 on: October 25, 2023, 04:19:02 PM »
Last time I saw DT with Portnoywas back in 2008. Can’t believe I will get to see him back with the boys again!

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #496 on: October 25, 2023, 04:20:16 PM »
All this talk about whether it was MM's decision or "the band's" decision, does that mean MM was never considered part of "the band"?  After 13 years and five albums, "the band" can decide he's out, even though he's part of the band?

:lol one thing today has been amusing to watch is 10+ years of people pretending they liked MM to suddenly collapse now that he's out. really seems like the vast majority of people were just waiting for this news for the last decade (myself included, honestly)

That was actually a serious question, although kinda I think I already know the answer.  JP is basically "the band".  Dream Theater is who and what he says it is.

JM seems far too laid back to argue with him, JR and JP seem to pretty much agree on things anyway, and I have no idea where JLB fits in.  MP and JP discussed replacing JLB years ago when MP was in the band the first time, and that's something that could only happen if JLB somehow had less than full member status.  MP seems to have never forgotten that JLB was not the original singer, but someone they'd found later, and therefore he could be replaced.

I was in a band years ago (which some DTF members probably remember) that went through a number of lead singers and lead guitarists, but the band leader (the rhythm guitarist) came to consider himself and the bassist, drummer and keyboard player (me) the "core" of the band.  When auditioning singers or lead guitarists, we were the voting members.  Essentially we were "the band" and I'm sure it came as a surprise to some former members of "the band" when they were voted out during a voting session that they weren't even involved in.

I guess what I'm saying is that it may have been a "band" decision, but I'm sure that the five members of Dream Theater did not all have equal weight in that decision.

i mean the only evidence you need is looking at the MM thread which has existed since he joined the band and by this time tomorrow this thread will already eclipse it in size. it's blatantly obvious what the fans want, lmao
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #497 on: October 25, 2023, 04:20:20 PM »
Interesting note by JLB saying this is the "final incarnation of DT "

He hopes, lol!  Seriously though, I’m pretty sure he said this about the Mangini line up too so I wouldn’t put too much stock in it.  I’m sure they all hope it goes well though.

It’s been a while since I’ve been here but had to come back for this huge news, it still feels a bit unreal.  I did tell you all though that Mangini should be concerned about the LTE reunion!  I always said that, if they did another LTE album and it was a fun experience, he’d be back in DT.  It took a bit longer than I thought though and I had begun to doubt it.

I’m in the cautiously optimistic camp.  I was devastated on the day Mike announced he was leaving all of those years ago as I didn’t know what DT without him looked like.  I discovered, when hearing ADTOE that it didn’t look all that different except a return to a more melodic, progressive sound which I enjoyed.  In the years that followed DT continued to release high quality albums but, to me, it’s felt a little like they plateaued.  The albums have all been decent but not achieved greatness in my eyes, others may disagree of course, it’s all subjective but these are just my thoughts.

I thought JP’s solo record was the best he’s sounded in a while and there was an undeniable chemistry and nostalgic feeling hearing him and Portnoy play together again.  I thought LTE3 would make a big splash and build a groundswell of demand for Portnoy’s return but instead it seemed to come and go with barely any interest.  As well as it having next to no impact on the music world, I also thought LTE3 sounded a bit tired and uninspired.  That’s the reason for my cautious optimism rather than huge excitement.  Portnoy, Rudess and Petrucci teaming back up didn’t result in magic for me, if anything it was less interesting than Mangini DT.  Similarly the Transatlantic reunion didn’t result in magic for me either.  I was ridiculously excited for both of those so it’s a case of twice bitten, third time shy!

I think it makes sense for all concerned for Portnoy to return as long as it doesn’t cause problems in the band.  Dream Theater will get a boost from his return (although LTE3 makes me wonder if it’s as big a deal as we think it is) so it makes sense for them plus I think he has a bit more of an idea how to promote the band and capitalise on their fanbase.  It makes sense for Mike as DT are his first love and because none of his new bands have remotely taken off.  I always believed he would bite their hands off if they asked him to come back.  Not just because his other bands hadn’t been successful but because he loves this band, whatever he tried to claim in the intervening years.

The sentimental side of me is pleased to see him back and I also generally like bands having their original members or at least classic members as long as they’ve still got it.  It will now be interesting to see if he comes back in the same role in terms of band dynamics.  Is JP ready to hand back a lot of control?  Maybe he’d welcome MP taking a lot of those jobs back, who knows?  Maybe MP himself doesn’t want the same workload he used to have so will not want to take all that back on (I suspect he won’t be able to help himself though!).  Can JLB and MP co-exist?  Portnoy has threatened to sack him before when he felt that he was hurting the band live.  As a long time defender of JLB, even I have come to feel that we are at that point again and MP has now had the unique opportunity to have witnessed that from the audience.  Will he give JLB a kick up the backside as he has in the past to get the best out of him?  Will JLB, at this stage in his career, take that criticism from him?  Or are they just happy to ride the gravy train for a couple of more albums and tours and not rock the boat.  It will be fascinating to see how it all plays out.

Overall I’m more excited for a new Dream Theater album from this lineup than another album from the Mangini lineup.  I’m just not as excited as I would’ve been 5 years ago before the disappointing LTE and TA albums.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 04:25:22 PM by Peter Mc »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #498 on: October 25, 2023, 04:20:36 PM »
I'm most interested in how MP handles the whole LaBrie vocal situation, especially live. 

I think live MP will be an incredible benefit back to James.

I'd like to see them write songs for James' lower register, get him to since a bit lower and save the high parts for song climaxes or exciting moments on the album. Spread them out a bit in the show as well, and maybe do some extended instrumental parts. The thing that I always come back to is how the Live at Budokan show has all these extended instrumental jams ("Beyond This Life", "Instrumedley", "Stream Of Consciousness") peppered throughout the show to give James some 10-minute breaks between singing. I could see this happening again with the band in future tours, and it'll obviously play into the excitement that both Jordan and JP have felt playing with Portnoy in recent years.

-Marc.

Wait… are you suggesting that, rather than “fire” him, they should “cut back his hours”?

:rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #499 on: October 25, 2023, 04:23:43 PM »
Hey!  I just realized I saw MP's last show with DT as a full concert and not the 6 gigs opening for Iron Maiden.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #500 on: October 25, 2023, 04:25:11 PM »
I'm most interested in how MP handles the whole LaBrie vocal situation, especially live. 

I'd like to see them write songs for James' lower register, get him to since a bit lower and save the high parts for song climaxes or exciting moments on the album. Spread them out a bit in the show as well, and maybe do some extended instrumental parts. The thing that I always come back to is how the Live at Budokan show has all these extended instrumental jams ("Beyond This Life", "Instrumedley", "Stream Of Consciousness") peppered throughout the show to give James some 10-minute breaks between singing. I could see this happening again with the band in future tours, and it'll obviously play into the excitement that both Jordan and JP have felt playing with Portnoy in recent years.

-Marc.

Wait… are you suggesting that, rather than “fire” him, they should “cut back his hours”?

To be fair isn't that something a lot of bands do when they get up there in age? I've seen Deep Purple a few times where they had instrumentals and solos sprinkled in to let Ian Gillan get some time to walk backstage and breathe in some helium or super soldier gas or whatever they had back there. And that was probably a solid 10 years ago now so I could only imagine they're still doing the same thing now.

At least with DT it won't be as awkward because they have plenty of long songs or sections where JLB goes minutes without singing. :p

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #501 on: October 25, 2023, 04:27:24 PM »
On Facebook  Jeff Scott Soto posted commenting (paraphrasing) "now that the cat is out of the bag..." (yes, somewhat related to that talk about Billy Sheehan's reaction) and from Melody Portnoy (paraphrasing) "it was the hardest news to keep secret...". I can only imagine when this decision was made. Maybe some insider folks in the forum knows when?

No one's going to talk.

I tried finding out when it was communicated but I couldn't get it either.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #502 on: October 25, 2023, 04:27:59 PM »
Hey!  I just realized I saw MP's last show with DT as a full concert and not the 6 gigs opening for Iron Maiden.

I don’t think I saw *the* last show, but I took the road trip to Portland to see the headlining set on that final tour with MP.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #503 on: October 25, 2023, 04:30:56 PM »

-Marc.

To be fair isn't that something a lot of bands do when they get up there in age? I've seen Deep Purple a few times where they had instrumentals and solos sprinkled in to let Ian Gillan get some time to walk backstage and breathe in some helium or super soldier gas or whatever they had back there. And that was probably a solid 10 years ago now so I could only imagine they're still doing the same thing now.

At least with DT it won't be as awkward because they have plenty of long songs or sections where JLB goes minutes without singing. :p

Yes, but when I was in retail management, that was the passive aggressive way of getting rid of problem employees, so I got a chuckle out of the idea.

“Hey! Why do I only have 4 hours this week?”

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: October 25, 2023, 04:31:22 PM »

Most of us thought returning of MP is impossible but here we are. So to me, from now on, anything is possible.

I just don't see how it works out for James and Mike since MP is very critical for James's voice and live performances. We all have to accept James is not old James and he has to re-arrange melodies for his current voice. Call me crazy but returning of MP is the sign of James being replaced in the near future. Hope it won't happen. No matter what James is the real deal for me to listen DT.

When I first read this I went.....'nah'....but the more I think about it, you could be onto something.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #505 on: October 25, 2023, 04:31:47 PM »

Honestly, NOT the LEAST bit funny IMO.

It is really funny imo. I'm glad to see people aren't taking the whole thing too seriously.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #506 on: October 25, 2023, 04:34:25 PM »

-Marc.

No no no, it's paid time off! It's like when you sit in the bathroom for 10 minutes during your shift. Still getting paid, and it's not like you CAN'T go to the restroom at work, so you just soak it in for as long as you can before you go back out.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline genome

« Reply #507 on: October 25, 2023, 04:36:40 PM »

I just listened to the Canadian Rap for the first time in years... it kills me when MP is repeatedly saying "suck on my ass and balls" and JLB goes "er..."  :rollin

Offline jammindude

« Reply #508 on: October 25, 2023, 04:37:35 PM »

-Marc.

No no no, it's paid time off! It's like when you sit in the bathroom for 10 minutes during your shift. Still getting paid, and it's not like you CAN'T go to the restroom at work, so you just soak it in for as long as you can before you go back out.

-Marc.

:metalol: :metalol: :metalol:

Offline Grizz

« Reply #509 on: October 25, 2023, 04:37:40 PM »
Worcester? That show was so good that I had trouble believing that MP’s heart wasn’t in it at the time
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #510 on: October 25, 2023, 04:39:37 PM »

Hell yeah we did :metal :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #511 on: October 25, 2023, 04:41:27 PM »
If Mike goes back to making the setlists, that would be the biggest help to James of all. Mike has shown in the past to be very thoughtful about making things easier during live performances, like grouping songs in the same guitar tuning together so John has less guitar switches to do per show. Mike might be a bit more conscious about song selection and including breaks for James in the set. Especially if they go back to playing without a click, opening up room for extended jams again, this could all be a tremendous help to James.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline genome

« Reply #512 on: October 25, 2023, 04:45:08 PM »
I still think they should lower the tunings/keys of the songs a bit to help. I know they did it on the I&W anniversary tour briefly. But Metallica started doing it on the Load tour when Hetfield was in his 30s let alone in his 60s. Genesis did it all the time with Phil Collins. It brings an interesting fresh energy to the songs too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #513 on: October 25, 2023, 04:48:10 PM »

We saw the last US full show. They went to Japan after our tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #514 on: October 25, 2023, 04:48:31 PM »
Worcester? That show was so good that I had trouble believing that MP’s heart wasn’t in it at the time

The last show MP played with DT was at what I'm guessing was a festival in Chiba, Japan on August 8, 2010 (a short set of Nightmare, AROP, Prophets, Wither, TCOT, and an encore of PMU/Met1).

The last U.S. date was on July 10, 2010 at the Worcester Palladium, which was one of only four shows the band did (the others being in Portland, OR; Columbus, OH; and Buffalo, NY) after finishing up the tour with Iron Maiden (which was a 25-show stint).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Trav86

« Reply #515 on: October 25, 2023, 04:48:46 PM »
Canadian Rap. Man that takes me back. “Give it to my…wife!”
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #516 on: October 25, 2023, 04:50:15 PM »

That show was AMAZING!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #517 on: October 25, 2023, 04:58:55 PM »
Yes, the Worcester show. Tim, remember meeting in the hall because Lisa was going to pass out from how hot it was in there?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #518 on: October 25, 2023, 05:01:32 PM »

No one's going to talk.

I tried finding out when it was communicated but I couldn't get it either.

Cool, Tim! Maybe when this will all be just past history.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: October 25, 2023, 05:07:42 PM »
The next line-up.

This is the content I logged in for!  :lol

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #520 on: October 25, 2023, 05:13:16 PM »
So happy.

I love Portnoy, and this is the Dream Theater I really want to listen to.

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #521 on: October 25, 2023, 05:17:37 PM »
Yes, the Worcester show. Tim, remember meeting in the hall because Lisa was going to pass out from how hot it was in there?

Yup, the night we met.  :heart   :lol

I remember we were talking about something, maybe Iron Maiden, and I think I corrected you on a year or something, and after my wife goes, "why did you do that to him? You don't have to be such a jerk to someone you just met".. I was like, I talk to him all the time on the forums. :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #522 on: October 25, 2023, 05:20:38 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BKmnlvO47E

this is now back in the band. what a day

ROOOAAAAARRRRRRRRRR

Some initial thoughts/reactions/random thoughts. Tentatively excited, kinda disappointed. I wasn't crazy about the direction they were going in just before MP left. ADToE was a nice return to form. They had really been hitting a groove on the last couple of albums with MM as well.
The live show has been a bit hit and miss. I didn't mind the click track, honestly. It was the increasing of the video show (films for every single song, no more live shots on screen) and the increasing reliance on backing tracks. Vocals and some guitar.
James' situation doesn't change with this line up. It'll be interesting to see where all of this goes.

That's always been my point. Mike Portnoy's departure shook the band and set them on a better path. MM brought interesting rhythmic innovations.

But of course: the fans would never accept the band without him.

My concern is that the JLB/JM/JP/JR/MP line-up recorded six albums, the first two excellent and the last four terrible.
It doesn't seem like an exciting line-up to me.

But it may be different now.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #523 on: October 25, 2023, 05:25:36 PM »
Well, I only thought the last two were terrible. But as long as Mike is jazzed to be back in the band, I think it should make the next album really exciting.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #524 on: October 25, 2023, 05:28:02 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BKmnlvO47E

this is now back in the band. what a day

ROOOAAAAARRRRRRRRRR

Some initial thoughts/reactions/random thoughts. Tentatively excited, kinda disappointed. I wasn't crazy about the direction they were going in just before MP left. ADToE was a nice return to form. They had really been hitting a groove on the last couple of albums with MM as well.
The live show has been a bit hit and miss. I didn't mind the click track, honestly. It was the increasing of the video show (films for every single song, no more live shots on screen) and the increasing reliance on backing tracks. Vocals and some guitar.
James' situation doesn't change with this line up. It'll be interesting to see where all of this goes.

That's always been my point. Mike Portnoy's departure shook the band and set them on a better path. MM brought interesting rhythmic innovations.

But of course: the fans would never accept the band without him.

My concern is that the JLB/JM/JP/JR/MP line-up recorded six albums, the first two excellent and the last four terrible.
It doesn't seem like an exciting line-up to me.

But it may be different now.

First I would argue that four of those albums are definitely not “terrible”. Secondly, I don’t think we should assume anything about where they will go musically.  There’s been a 13 year gap. These people have changed and evolved for 13 years.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 05:48:21 PM by Trav86 »
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?