Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 124796 times)

jonny108 and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #455 on: October 25, 2023, 03:12:50 PM »

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #456 on: October 25, 2023, 03:15:01 PM »
So, I'm in the conflicted camp as to how to take this news. I did enjoy MM's playing in the band and really enjoyed The View album a lot. However, with all this talk (and 8 out of 11 posts in my FB feed were about this), it does breath some excitement into the DT camp. So they will have that going for them.

On to album speculation - I would entirely see a heavier album coming from the DT camp with MP back. And with that, take into consideration the prolific amount of guitar playing Jordan has been posting. That man is ripping it up on the fretboard! I would like to think there will be at least 2 songs where there is little to no keyboard and just heaps of heavy guitar sounds and dueling guitar leads all over the place!  Take into consideration that guitar/keyboard monster that Jordan had made. Imagine 3 harmonized lines with keys and two guitars! I think big sounds are coming down the pipeline.
Maybe.
 :metal
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #457 on: October 25, 2023, 03:15:59 PM »
mike m, you served well
your drumming, a rhythmic spell
farewell with a smile

portnoy's drumming soars
in our hearts forevermore
ecstasy! encore!
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #458 on: October 25, 2023, 03:16:18 PM »
Good news on the NMB camp

Does this means that Soto knew about MP rejoining the band?

Exactly how many inquiries, Jeff?  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #459 on: October 25, 2023, 03:26:04 PM »
All of the MP-conspiracy theorists were really reading into these situations and felt like this was inevitable, but hopefully they're not being a-holes about it. This is definitely a surprise, but it isn't really all that surprising when you consider how MP has become closer to the band in recent years. Couple that with MP's declining number of bands and side-projects in the past two years since the pandemic, and things were starting to slow down for him. I don't know if this was intentional or just a unique set of circumstances that seemed to line up, but it seems like MP and JP decided now was the time for this to happen. Hopefully things will work out for Mangini in his future endeavors and that they're all still on friendly terms.

It's not surprising given, as you brilliantly recapped, the way MP got personally and professionally close to the band members again.

It's surprising because there was no drama going on, no impending sense of doom so to speak; Judas Priest and Iron Maiden both had albums that bombed before the reunion with the original singer, so it was easier to see it coming. Sure, DT didn't sell out a festival tour, is that reason enough to make a personell change? the band has been very vocal about Mangini being a full, long-time member, and he had 5 albums and 13 years under his belt by now, Ripper and Blaze Bayley combined don't even make 5 studio albums together. Also, MP had a lot of projects going on.

Now, with indsight, we realize the timing was right, but nothing gave reason to believe that DT wouldn't go back in the studio sometime soon with Mangini.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #460 on: October 25, 2023, 03:26:30 PM »
MIKE

FUCKIN

PORTNOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAD HAS COME HOME FROM THE STORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:metal :metal :metal LOVE THIS!  :hefdaddy

Offline Trav86

« Reply #461 on: October 25, 2023, 03:28:11 PM »
Good news on the NMB camp

Does this means that Soto knew about MP rejoining the band?

Exactly how many inquiries, Jeff?  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Six.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #462 on: October 25, 2023, 03:30:48 PM »
I am aware of both.  But the press release is a short quote without any context, and the interview...let's just say he was understandably being very evasive.  You are reading a lot into those quotes without having any context or details.

Bosk is just being the lawyer.

Well, I cut Bosk some slack because he's moderating the unofficial, but well known (by the management at least), forums.

But him and Stadler are definitely lawyering up the MM thread. ;D

Kind of, yeah, I am.  I went through this back around September of 2010.  People were flat out talking out their asses.   Maybe it's my business, or my career, but I deal with this easily on a weekly basis: I know something and I can't talk publicly about it.  So we say truths, but maybe not the direct truth.    Mike in Rodrigo's interview DIDN'T say "I'm waiting on Dream Theater to call me so we can go into the studio".  He didn't say that.  He said he was waiting to see how the plan would unfold.   We're ALL doing that, aren't we?  That could or could not include MP's news.  It could or could not include his tour.   It could or could not include what he's having for dinner.  I'm planning to go to Florida next week and close out my parents' estate.  But I don't know how long it will take or whether I'm driving back or flying back.  So in so many words, I'm "waiting to see how the plan would unfold".   

I don't know; we're all worried about how Mike M. feels, but our words matter.  Maybe not speculate or assume what happened in his career and let him tell us when he's good and ready.

Here's Mangini's post from Aug. 31:

A bit of Orange and Magenta positive vibes for upcoming Zoom Classes amidst Studio reconstruction, solo album promo prep tasks, Media Team expansion... it's a lot.        I'll post Zoom dates (for next week I hope) and as soon as I'm sure of construction projects dates and times to work between.  I'll explain my idea for this next round of classes and other solo album related things before getting back with Dream Theater to record

Link: https://www.facebook.com/reel/1070540750599502

So yeah, I guess he wasn't planning to stay with DT at all ;)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #463 on: October 25, 2023, 03:33:51 PM »
A Mike Portnoy Announcement sitting next to me

It asks me how I feel

Not sure I understand its questioning

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #464 on: October 25, 2023, 03:37:09 PM »
“I understand Dream Theater’s decision to get Mike Portnoy back at this time,”

I really don't know how this can be interpreted any differently than Mangini being dismissed for a reunion. Also, frankly, they knew there would be speculation about this. If it was Mangini's choice I think they would have said so in the press release to both make Mangini look good and prevent the understandable speculation about how Mangini's departure was handled.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #465 on: October 25, 2023, 03:42:58 PM »
yeah but you guys are assuming a band can only have 1 drummer. there are countless examples (esp in the jazz/jam world) of band with multiple drummers. MP returning doesn't necessarily mean MM had to go or was fired
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #466 on: October 25, 2023, 03:46:04 PM »
Interesting note by JLB saying this is the "final incarnation of DT " I know they are getting up there in age, so maybe this is going to be the last few rounds for them or recording and touring. 

Also wondering what happened to MM.  From the vague wording, it almost sounds to me like they asked him if he wanted out for MP to rejoin.  I'm clearly guessing here.  Hoping it's a positive ending because MM didn't deserve to be forced out.

I took this as James saying that he is not going anywhere, even though Mike is back.  :D

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #467 on: October 25, 2023, 03:46:56 PM »
yeah but you guys are assuming a band can only have 1 drummer. there are countless examples (esp in the jazz/jam world) of band with multiple drummers. MP returning doesn't necessarily mean MM had to go or was fired
Yeah but how will they fit 216 different drum-based instruments on one stage?  :P
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #468 on: October 25, 2023, 03:48:59 PM »

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #469 on: October 25, 2023, 03:50:31 PM »

Honestly, NOT the LEAST bit funny IMO.

Pretty hilarious tbh. Except that it appears to be a very pixellated Mangini being kicked out the window. I'd have preferred it to be something else.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #470 on: October 25, 2023, 03:52:47 PM »
Inevitably I needed to come here today, after a long time (Hi folks!).... but with this dramatic turn of events. :omg:

Interestingly, my first reaction when reading the band's message about MP's return was that peace will return. After thirteen long and VERY TIRING years, most fans will be able to enjoy the band again. I'm happy to know this will happen.

DT was the band that most encouraged me to participate in discussion groups about their music, in more than one language, on more than one platform. I practically gave up on all of them, because seeing the perennial spoiled atmosphere is a pain in the ass.
This ends now and that's why I consider MP's return to be something positive.

I understand the band's decision, but I can't say I'm excited.

I guess the shows on the next tour will be a success. 

I'm really sorry about MM.

PS: where is Kevin Moore?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #471 on: October 25, 2023, 03:53:41 PM »
Again, maybe it's me.  Maybe it's my career.  That means nothing to me in terms of what's happening in the future. He wasn't not truthful; he said he would explain his course and his album BEFORE getting back with DT. Didn't say he was definitely GOING to get back with DT, just that he would do other things BEFORE he did. 

I guess it is me; corporate America has to deal with this issue every single day. You (hopefully) don't lie, you (hopefully) don't look like an idiot, but you answer the best you can in the moment. 

And who knows? Maybe you're right.  I don't know. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I don't think you can get to where you are with what we know.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #472 on: October 25, 2023, 03:54:11 PM »
Interesting note by JLB saying this is the "final incarnation of DT " I know they are getting up there in age, so maybe this is going to be the last few rounds for them or recording and touring. 

Also wondering what happened to MM.  From the vague wording, it almost sounds to me like they asked him if he wanted out for MP to rejoin.  I'm clearly guessing here.  Hoping it's a positive ending because MM didn't deserve to be forced out.

I took this as James saying that he is not going anywhere, even though Mike is back.  :D

Not sure that’s his call.  :P
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #473 on: October 25, 2023, 03:54:18 PM »
The next line-up.

Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Grizz

"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #475 on: October 25, 2023, 03:54:55 PM »
“I understand Dream Theater’s decision to get Mike Portnoy back at this time,”

I really don't know how this can be interpreted any differently than Mangini being dismissed for a reunion. Also, frankly, they knew there would be speculation about this. If it was Mangini's choice I think they would have said so in the press release to both make Mangini look good and prevent the understandable speculation about how Mangini's departure was handled.

When Judas Priest reunited with Rob Halford, the press release stated "Judas Priest and Ripper Owens have parted ways amicably by mutual agreement". And Ripper all but confirmed that he basically told the Priest guys "Look, if a reunion has to happen, just make it now". I agree with Stadler when he says that we should have learned from 2010 to not talk out of our asses, but I find it hard to believe that somehow Mangini offers to step down of his volition or even encourages the guys to get back with Mike Portnoy and the thing doesn't get mentioned.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #476 on: October 25, 2023, 03:54:59 PM »
All this talk about whether it was MM's decision or "the band's" decision, does that mean MM was never considered part of "the band"?  After 13 years and five albums, "the band" can decide he's out, even though he's part of the band?

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #477 on: October 25, 2023, 03:56:45 PM »
All this talk about whether it was MM's decision or "the band's" decision, does that mean MM was never considered part of "the band"?  After 13 years and five albums, "the band" can decide he's out, even though he's part of the band?

:lol one thing today has been amusing to watch is 10+ years of people pretending they liked MM to suddenly collapse now that he's out. really seems like the vast majority of people were just waiting for this news for the last decade (myself included, honestly)
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: October 25, 2023, 03:57:12 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline emtee

« Reply #479 on: October 25, 2023, 03:57:34 PM »
Whatever transpired between the parties that led to this change really isn't that important to me with one exception; that Mangini was treated with dignity and respect. And having followed this band since the beginning, I know that JP is a man of character. He is also, for lack of a better term, the CEO of Dream Theater and therefore he has to make difficult decisions. I suspect he's known for quite some time that things were "off" and that he agonized about having to have a difficult conversation with Mangini. The trend lines were not really positive except for the Grammy. There's no doubt in my mind that this change will reverse the trends, re-energize the band and the fans. As the CEO he made the right decision.

Offline HOF

« Reply #480 on: October 25, 2023, 03:58:38 PM »
Inevitably I needed to come here today, after a long time (Hi folks!).... but with this dramatic turn of events. :omg:

Interestingly, my first reaction when reading the band's message about MP's return was that peace will return. After thirteen long and VERY TIRING years, most fans will be able to enjoy the band again. I'm happy to know this will happen.

DT was the band that most encouraged me to participate in discussion groups about their music, in more than one language, on more than one platform. I practically gave up on all of them, because seeing the perennial spoiled atmosphere is a pain in the ass.
This ends now and that's why I consider MP's return to be something positive.

I understand the band's decision, but I can't say I'm excited.

I guess the shows on the next tour will be a success. 

I'm really sorry about MM.

PS: where is Kevin Moore?

Practicing psychiatry in North Dakota at last check in, but it looks like he's not listed on the clinic website where he was previously listed so who knows!

Online Mladen

« Reply #481 on: October 25, 2023, 03:59:05 PM »
The news absolutely stunned me and it took me six hours to fully process it.  ;D

Now that I had time to digest it, I agree with Kev. This sort of feels right.  Even though I was both critical of Portnoy after his departure and also trilled with the circumstances in the band throughout Mangini's tenure (some of the albums and live shows were truly spectacular), I am excited to see how the reunion of the classic line up impacts the live shows and new music. This could be really cool.

Regarding the speculation about the dynamics within the band, I don't expect them to continue where they left off. All of them grew and evolved within the last thirteen years. Portnoy did, LaBrie did, Petrucci did. In terms of performances, production and the style, anything goes at this point. One thing is for certain, though. It will be Dream Theater.

Also, kudos to Mangini for doing so much amazing work. The guy was just fantastic.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #482 on: October 25, 2023, 03:59:16 PM »
now we just need dominici to replace labrie and moore to replace ruddess...

a perfect sphere colliding with our fate, the story ends where it began...
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: October 25, 2023, 04:00:20 PM »
I'm most interested in how MP handles the whole LaBrie vocal situation, especially live. 

I think live MP will be an incredible benefit back to James.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #484 on: October 25, 2023, 04:01:54 PM »
Interesting to think that now that MP is back Jordan won't reach him in terms of how long they were in DT (24+ years for Jordan and 25+ for Mike), but he's already on more albums than Mike.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #485 on: October 25, 2023, 04:02:56 PM »

:lol one thing today has been amusing to watch is 10+ years of people pretending they liked MM to suddenly collapse now that he's out. really seems like the vast majority of people were just waiting for this news for the last decade (myself included, honestly)

I think some people just really dig both drummers! But I'll be honest: I was really into MM, but my "loyalty" to the band was petering out. They never did anything I didn't like, and I've enjoyed listening to the new albums and even some live footage, but it just wasn't something that got me out of the house to see them anymore, if you know what I mean.

All that said, I'm just really happy with this turn of events. Whatever comes next is a lot more than what I expected would happen in the "MP back in DT" front, which was nothing. So bring it on!

(In fairness, I'm not sure I'll get out of the house to see them now either  :lol but that's just how I roll as a vampire)

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #486 on: October 25, 2023, 04:06:24 PM »
Just another mostly-lurker returning to posting for a "holy shit"

My dad sent me a link to the Blabbermouth article whilst I was in a bar with some friends. Spent about 5 minutes trying to get the webpage to load and was half expecting it to be a recycled april fool's day post from 2017 or something...

I don't think I can add anything new but man, as someone who never got to see MP live with DT first time around, if nothing else, I'm stoked to see him play the tracks he wrote/recorded that have defined so much of my life.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: October 25, 2023, 04:07:07 PM »

I’m not against Portnoy rejoining after 12 years, but it feels like this was the plan all along, and I wish they’d told the fans that Mangini was only temporary.
There's no way this was the plan "all along."

This. There was a freaking lawsuit when he left, that couldn't have been part of the plan hehe
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #488 on: October 25, 2023, 04:09:41 PM »
I'm most interested in how MP handles the whole LaBrie vocal situation, especially live. 

Most of us thought returning of MP is impossible but here we are. So to me, from now on, anything is possible.

I just don't see how it works out for James and Mike since MP is very critical for James's voice and live performances. We all have to accept James is not old James and he has to re-arrange melodies for his current voice. Call me crazy but returning of MP is the sign of James being replaced in the near future. Hope it won't happen. No matter what James is the real deal for me to listen DT.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #489 on: October 25, 2023, 04:10:03 PM »

I'd like to see them write songs for James' lower register, get him to since a bit lower and save the high parts for song climaxes or exciting moments on the album. Spread them out a bit in the show as well, and maybe do some extended instrumental parts. The thing that I always come back to is how the Live at Budokan show has all these extended instrumental jams ("Beyond This Life", "Instrumedley", "Stream Of Consciousness") peppered throughout the show to give James some 10-minute breaks between singing. I could see this happening again with the band in future tours, and it'll obviously play into the excitement that both Jordan and JP have felt playing with Portnoy in recent years.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!