Author Topic: DTF's Top 50 Bands/Artists Countdown Thread! (the final list)  (Read 53607 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: DTF's Top 50 Bands/Artists Countdown Thread! (#37 & 36 up!)
« Reply #700 on: October 30, 2023, 06:56:18 PM »
BTBAM is another one that I overall enjoy but never quite crossed over into greatness for me. Kinda agree with Luke on the vocals. Not that I have any issue with harsh vocals in general, but there's something about these ones that I'm not sold on. The cleans are ok.

Anathema on the other hand...so happy to see them make it! They were #17 on my list. I guess I'm not too surprised to see them here, although arguably that's mostly because of the prog-leanings of the latter part of their career. 

As for my own "history" with the band...despite my great appreciation for the doom and gloom scene of the 90s, I can't say I am in love with their full-length debut Serenades. I get that it has a place in the famous Peaceville three, but I feel Anathema truly started to be something special once they moved away from their strictly death-doom origins. The Silent Enigma was quite transitional, and not "there" yet (although songs like Restless Oblivion and A Dying Wish are fantastic), but the Eternity-Alternative 4-Judgement run is really where it's at for me. Eternity is still a bit rough (such a unique record, though!), Alternative 4 is my favorite, and Judgement is pretty close. Songs like Fragile Dreams, Lost Control and Deep are just too good.

Then things become a little weirder for a bit. There's a lot to like in both A Fine Day to Exit and Natural Disaster (I think I enjoy the latter a tad better, overall), but I didn't have the same connection with them. Then the hiatus of sorts and...well, the " melancholic prog" comeback. Like I said, for me, when I think of Anathema as a big favorite of mine, I think second half of the Nineties, but it's undeniable that the streak of records since We're Here...is of extremely high quality. Of that phase of their history, Weather Systems is my favorite, and the Untouchable songs are up there among the very, very top. Distant Satellites and The Optimist I like, but don't love.

I guess it's a bit of a shame things ended the way they did. But the band left us with a pretty amazing body of work....

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #701 on: October 30, 2023, 07:19:28 PM »
Another hit for me today. Someone above had the good idea of adding recommendations to their list for anyone looking to check out the bands, so I'll do the same. 

25. Nightwish (Favourite album: Wishmaster. Favourite song: Beauty of the Beast)
19. Between The Buried And Me (Favourite album: Automata II. Favourite song: The Proverbial Bellow)
9. Godspeed You Black Emperor (Favourite album: Lift Your Skinny Fists... Favourite Song: Storm).

Between The Buried And Me are one of those bands whose music is so incredible I'm able to tolerate the otherwise off-putting growly/screamy vocals (there's a certain Swedish band whom I'm sure will be along on this list soon who also fit this category). These guys are extraordinarily talented musicians.

Anathema would have made a top 50 list, they've written some very beautiful songs, but they never really stood a chance at my top 25 because over the course of their last few albums they'd become a little bit of a 1-trick pony to my ears.   

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: October 30, 2023, 07:46:26 PM »
One thing I will say about BTBAM is that I really, really enjoy their clean vocals. "Desert Of Song" is a great example of great vocals and great vocal melodies IMO.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #703 on: October 30, 2023, 07:49:28 PM »
I get to add 2 to my list today!

NR   Miles Davis (Would probably make my top 100 even though I've only heard less than half of his stuff. Favorite albums are probably In a Silent Way and Get Up With It)
NR   King Crimson (Another that would make my top 100, maybe even top 50. Favorite albums, Red and Discipline)
NR   Avenged Sevenfold (A top 50 band most likely. Favorite albums, City of Evil and The Stage)
NR   Scorpions (A top 100 band. One of my dad's favorite bands. Favorite albums, Taken By Force and Love At First Sting)
NR   Frank Zappa (Kind of the same situation as Miles Davis, except Frank has some stuff that I absolutely don't like, so probably wouldn't be a top 100 artist. Favorite albums, Joe's Garage and Hot Rats)
NR   Evergrey (As I mentioned earlier they have some decent albums and their latest may actually be my favorite, but I still don't like Tom Englund's vocals)
NR   UFO (A band that I haven't listened to enough. I keep intending on doing a deep dive. I do really like the album Walk On Water)
NR   Godspeed You! Black Emperor (A band that had 3 masterpieces to start and on the strength of those would have made my top 50, but everything they've done since has been fairly bland)
NR   Nightwish (A band that I strongly considered for my initial list and might be in my top 50. Favorite albums, Dark Passion Play and Once
NR   Katatonia (A top 100 band easily. Favorite albums, Brave Murder Day and The Fall of Hearts)
NR   Helloween (Another top 100 band even though they have about 7 terrible albums. Favorite albums, Keeper of the Seven Keys (both parts) and Gambling With the Devil)

23   Symphony X (favorite albums, The Odyssey and Divine Wings of Tragedy)
21   Agalloch (favorite albums, The Mantle and Ashes Against the Grain)
16   The Dear Hunter (Favorite albums, The Color Spectrum and Act IV)
8   Between the Buried and Me (Just an amazing band. I was introduced when Alaska was released, fell in love when Colors was released, became an all time great with The Great Midirect. Favorite albums, The Great Misdirect and The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues)
6   Anathema (From depressive doom, to amazing depressive rock, to uplifting beautiful atmospheric rock. Amazing band with a ton of feel. Favorite albums, Weather Systems and Alternative 4)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #704 on: October 31, 2023, 12:11:28 AM »
Another hit for me today. Someone above had the good idea of adding recommendations to their list for anyone looking to check out the bands, so I'll do the same. 

Between The Buried And Me are one of those bands whose music is so incredible I'm able to tolerate the otherwise off-putting growly/screamy vocals (there's a certain Swedish band whom I'm sure will be along on this list soon who also fit this category).

Yea, nice idea, I'm gonna add my favourite album/song to my future posts.

As for those harsh vocals. I'm 100% with you on the other band you are alluding to. They have the same monotonous quality, but I do prefer that style with the other band, if only by a little bit.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF's Top 50 Bands/Artists Countdown Thread! (#35 up!)
« Reply #705 on: October 31, 2023, 05:13:26 AM »
Going to do one update today as we have another tie tomorrow

35. Radiohead
Rate Your Music Profile!
Spotify Profile
Monthly Spotify Streams: 24,356,090
Highest Finish: 1 (PMSummer)
Number of Lists appeared on: 5 (Metropolaris, PMSummer, Sacul, WilliamMunny, elefantStone)

I don't think I've tried to get into a band as much as I've tried with Radiohead. I can see the appeal but Thom's vocals are a 100ft wall that I just can't get over, that is at least until I heard A Moon Shaped Pool. I was following Sacul's Top 50 countdown and on his recommendation I gave the album a spin and really liked it. I went back to listen to some of the earlier albums and it still didn't do anything for me but Moon Shaped Pool is a solid album.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: October 31, 2023, 05:43:41 AM »
1 / 17

Radiohead
They would be on my longer list for sure.... maybe somwhere around 50 to 75.
I love OK Coputer but simehow haven't felt as much for other abums.

Not rated
Symphony X , Miles Davis, Avenged Sevenfold, Allagoch,
Scorpions, The Dear Hunter, Frank Zappa, Evergrey, UFO, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Nightwish, Katatonia, Halloween, Between the Buried and Me, Anathema, Radiohead

2 King Crimson  (favorite album: Red, favorite song: Starless)

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #707 on: October 31, 2023, 05:46:31 AM »
Radiohead were the band that ended up getting bumped from my #25 spot to accommodate Nightwish. In Rainbows is a masterpiece and Kid A isn't far behind.

Favourite album: In Rainbows.
Favourite song: Motion Picture Soundtrack.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #708 on: October 31, 2023, 06:00:27 AM »

35. Radiohead
Rate Your Music Profile!
Spotify Profile
Number of Lists appeared on: 5 (Metropolaris, PMSummer, Sacul, WilliamMunny, elefantStone)

I don't think I've tried to get into a band as much as I've tried with Radiohead. I can see the appeal but Thom's vocals are a 100ft wall that I just can't get over, that is at least until I heard A Moon Shaped Pool. I was following Sacul's Top 50 countdown and on his recommendation I gave the album a spin and really liked it. I went back to listen to some of the earlier albums and it still didn't do anything for me but Moon Shaped Pool is a solid album.

My number 5, but on any given day, these boys could be my number 1.

As someone who was there from day 1, there is no other band that I have gone on such a journey with.

To be frank, I had no use for "Creep" back when it was all over the airwaves, and while "The Bends" and "OK Computer" were in my general rotation throughout my teens, I was beyond unimpressed by "Kid A" when it was released back in October of 2000.

But, over the last couple of decades or so, my thoughts have evolved significantly, to the point that I now hold a number of Radiohead albums (including "Kid A") in the highest esteem.

I think it began with In Rainbows, an album that remains a top-tier (and potentially number one) favorite of all time.

But what I really think happened here is that, as I got older, and Yorke and Co. got older, their output began continued to line up and resonate with me and where I was in my life.

I sincerely hope another (final?) album is on the horizon, but if A Moon Shaped Pool remains their swan song, I can think of no better way for the band to go out.

As an aside, the genius side-projects from this band, which now includes the brilliant The Smile, puts Radiohead into a similar category for me as DT, as the band's music is just the tip of a very large iceberg.

« Reply #709 on: October 31, 2023, 06:03:03 AM »
Radiohead were definitely in consideration but didn't make my list.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: October 31, 2023, 06:04:09 AM »
I like a few Radiohead songs here and there from The Bends and OK Computer, but that's about it. Like ReaperKK said, Tom's voice is a big barrier for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #711 on: October 31, 2023, 06:13:28 AM »
Radiohead would been in the 11-20 range for me.  Amazing band, and In Rainbows still stands as one of my 10 favorite albums ever.  I get it if Yorke's voice is a tough hill for some to climb, but I am good with it.  When you look at their history and what they have done with all of the stylistic changes and whatnot, it's crazy impressive.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #712 on: October 31, 2023, 06:15:57 AM »
Never got the love for Radiohead.  Simply not my thing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #713 on: October 31, 2023, 06:20:44 AM »
Radiohead didn't make my list but I'm definitely a fan. Mainly listened to The Bends and OK Computer. Decently familiar with Kid A as well, I really should check out more. I've been saying that a lot during this list.  :lol

I'll spin In Rainbows later today.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: October 31, 2023, 06:30:54 AM »
Never got the love for Radiohead.  Simply not my thing.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline HOF

« Reply #715 on: October 31, 2023, 07:40:03 AM »
I only ranked out 47 artists, and Radiohead didn’t make that list. But I would maybe have gotten to them if had consciously gone up to 50. I own three of their albums (The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A) and genuinely think all 3 are good to great albums. But I don’t revisit them often and generally don’t have a ton of affection for them or for Radiohead. They are a band I appreciate, but who just don’t excite me. Have heard bits of the other albums but nothing to really motivate me to dig further so far.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #716 on: October 31, 2023, 08:07:31 AM »
nada for me again
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #717 on: October 31, 2023, 08:12:56 AM »
Radiohead landing at #35? Really? I mean, I expected them to be higher for sure! I've had them at the top of my list for over a decade now, and they've meant the world to me.

Radiohead's music has this incredible depth and range that's hard to find elsewhere. If you haven't already, you've got to give 'OK Computer' a listen – that album is a masterpiece from start to finish. In Rainbows & Kid A follow close behind for me but all their work is great.

If you're just getting into Radiohead, I'd recommend starting with 'Paranoid Android' and 'Exit Music (for a film)' from 'OK Computer'. Those tracks will give you a taste of their beautiful sound from a rock perspective. Then, dive into 'Everything In Its Right Place' and 'Idioteque' from "Kid A" to experience a more experimental side of them.

I can't express enough how much Radiohead's music has resonated with me throughout the years. They're truly one of the most innovative and influential bands out there. I hope they climb a bit higher on this list next time!

14. GY!BE
13. Anathema
1. Radiohead

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #718 on: October 31, 2023, 08:15:19 AM »

35. Radiohead
Rate Your Music Profile!
Spotify Profile

NR  Miles Davis
NR  Symphony X
NR  Agalloch
NR  The Deer Hunter
NR  Frank Zappa
NR  Evergrey
NR  UFO
NR  Godspeed You! Black Emperor
NR  Nightwish
NR  Katatonia
NR  Helloween
NR  Between The Buried And Me
NR  Anathema
NR  Radiohead
29 King Crimson
25  ?
01  ?

I have enjoyed much of Radiohead in the past, and even bought the fancy slipcover box set of most of their albums before In Rainbows, but I haven't given them a serious listen in yeaaaaars. I don't think I would've even considered them in my top 30 or 40, maybe in 41-50 or just outside of that. They're definitely good and I could see why and how they'd make it this high, but for me, I just haven't given them much thought in a long time.... outside of listening to "Pyramid Song" a couple weeks ago. I still can't believe that song is in 4/4. :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #719 on: October 31, 2023, 08:18:38 AM »
Radiohead landing at #35? Really? I mean, I expected them to be higher for sure! I've had them at the top of my list for over a decade now, and they've meant the world to me.

Radiohead's music has this incredible depth and range that's hard to find elsewhere. If you haven't already, you've got to give 'OK Computer' a listen – that album is a masterpiece from start to finish. In Rainbows & Kid A follow close behind for me but all their work is great.

If you're just getting into Radiohead, I'd recommend starting with 'Paranoid Android' and 'Exit Music (for a film)' from 'OK Computer'. Those tracks will give you a taste of their beautiful sound from a rock perspective. Then, dive into 'Everything In Its Right Place' and 'Idioteque' from "Kid A" to experience a more experimental side of them.

I can't express enough how much Radiohead's music has resonated with me throughout the years. They're truly one of the most innovative and influential bands out there. I hope they climb a bit higher on this list next time!

14. GY!BE
13. Anathema
1. Radiohead

Well said! :hefdaddy

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #720 on: October 31, 2023, 08:21:52 AM »
"Hey Arnie, what were the chances of Radiohead making my list?"

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #721 on: October 31, 2023, 08:35:54 AM »
"Hey Arnie, what were the chances of Radiohead making my list?"

:lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #722 on: October 31, 2023, 09:03:19 AM »
NR Frank Zappa
NR Symphony X
NR Radiohead
NR Nightwish
NR Katatonia
NR Helloween
NR Godspeed You! Black Emperor
NR Evergrey
NR The Deer Hunter
NR Miles Davis
NR Between The Buried And Me
NR Avenged Sevenfold
NR Anathema
NR Allagoch
53 King Crimson
35 Scorpions
34 UFO

Wow.  Not only is Radiohead not on my list, but one of the very, very few bands I actively dislike.  If this list was our DTF Bottom 50 Bands/Artists, Radiohead is either one or two.  Probably number one, since I can't name another band to put there.  Not only do I not get it, a lot of their music is actually uncomfortable for me to listen to.  I have OK Computer and Kid A - masterpiece is a stretch, but I get at least where they were going with those two - but I got Hail To The Thief in an eBay auction and it's probably the only CD I've ever considered just throwing away (others get sold on eBay; I did end up selling it).

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #723 on: October 31, 2023, 09:07:18 AM »
Stadler, you buy albums by bands you actively dislike? What form of self-flagellation is this?

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #724 on: October 31, 2023, 09:16:25 AM »
Stadler, you buy albums by bands you actively dislike? What form of self-flagellation is this?

Lol...not to pile on, but I have found it curious over the years the lengths our man has gone through to explain (admittedly eloquently so) how much he dislikes Radiohead. Especially on the heels of someone saying how much they love the band.

To be fair, always in fun (and good taste), but, seriously, for a band you actively dislike, they sure do inspire a ton of words (or maybe, just maybe, it's starting to click?)

;D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #725 on: October 31, 2023, 09:18:17 AM »

14. GY!BE
13. Anathema
1. Radiohead

Landing at 35 out of over 400 bands puts Radiohead in the top 9% of bands nominated for this countdown. I'd say that's a pretty good deal. I wonder how many of us who submitted lists have their number one pick in the Top 40/top 10%?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #726 on: October 31, 2023, 09:18:52 AM »

Lol...not to pile on, but I have found it curious over the years the lengths our man has gone through to explain (admittedly eloquently so) how much he dislikes Radiohead. Especially on the heels of someone saying how much they love the band.

To be fair, always in fun (and good taste), but, seriously, for a band you actively dislike, they sure do inspire a ton of words (or maybe, just maybe, it's starting to click?)

;D

Hey, I kinda get it, just poking fun. The bands I actively dislike are U2 and Simply Red. Vile stains in the musical landscape. Can't say I've ever been tempted to purchase their music though.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: October 31, 2023, 09:20:28 AM »
I can't understand how you can actively dislike a band or an artist. Just don't listen to their music and move on.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #728 on: October 31, 2023, 09:22:12 AM »

;D

Hey, I kinda get it, just poking fun. The bands I actively dislike are U2 and Simply Red. Vile stains in the musical landscape. Can't say I've ever been tempted to purchase their music though.

Oh, you and me both. (apologize if that doesn't come across...nothing but love for Stadler)

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: October 31, 2023, 10:13:21 AM »
I can't understand how you can actively dislike a band or an artist. Just don't listen to their music and move on.

See that's passive dislike, you gotta think more actively, maybe go for a run while thinking about hating the band? :lol

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #730 on: October 31, 2023, 10:30:23 AM »
I'm the anti-Stadler for this one, no problem admitting I'm a Thom Yorke fanboy - I get all his side projects as well. Agree with WilliamMunny above that the Smile is worth mentioning, definitely his best side project. Give it a try for anyone who isn't a Yorke vocals hater, they only have one album (so far, a second is rumored to be on the way) and it's my favorite from last year.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #731 on: October 31, 2023, 10:34:29 AM »
I'm the anti-Stadler for this one, no problem admitting I'm a Thom Yorke fanboy - I get all his side projects as well. Agree with WilliamMunny above that the Smile is worth mentioning, definitely his best side project. Give it a try for anyone who isn't a Yorke vocals hater, they only have one album (so far, a second is rumored to be on the way) and it's my favorite from last year.

If "Bending Hectic" is a sign of things to come, then I think this band's future is very bright!  :coolio

Offline pg1067

« Reply #732 on: October 31, 2023, 11:31:24 AM »
37. Between The Buried And Me

36. Anathema

35. Radiohead

Never heard of Anathema.  Between the Buried... was on one of the Prog Nation tours.  My friend and I walked in from the lobby to check them out.  As soon as the growly guy opened his mouth, we bailed and had another beer while waiting for DT.  I've heard a few songs by Radiohead, but nothing interested me enough to do a dive.

12. Helloween (38)
14. UFO (42)
24. Scorpions (46T)

Not ranked:  Miles Davis, Symphony X, Algalloch, Avenged Sevenfold, King Crimson, The Deer Hunter, Frank Zappa, Evergrey, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Nightwish, Katatonia, Anathema, Between the Buried..., Radiohead

I got Hail To The Thief in an eBay auction and it's probably the only CD I've ever considered just throwing away (others get sold on eBay; I did end up selling it).

Why would you bid on an auction for a CD by a band you don't like?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #733 on: October 31, 2023, 12:09:48 PM »
Radiohead has never clicked with me.  They have a lot of interesting ideas, but a lot of them don't really hit, and like others, Yorke's vocals are a major sticking point.  The more I've thought about it recently, he's probably actually the template for a lot of modern vocalists that just don't work for me.  That said, I do quite like Kid A as an album, and there are a handful of other songs of theirs I enjoy occasionally in spite of all that. 

As for those harsh vocals. I'm 100% with you on the other band you are alluding to. They have the same monotonous quality, but I do prefer that style with the other band, if only by a little bit.

Almost positive I know which band you two are talking about, and I would not describe the harsh vocals as monotonous, but we'll get to that eventually (hopefully deep in the countdown!). 

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #734 on: October 31, 2023, 12:17:53 PM »
Love Radiohead ❤️

#8 on my list