Author Topic: DTF's Top 50 Bands/Artists Countdown Thread! (the final list)  (Read 53613 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: DTF's Top 50 Bands/Artists Countdown Thread! (#44s up!)
« Reply #560 on: October 26, 2023, 03:33:23 PM »

Lastly,  I just wanted to say that The Dear Hunter hold a special little place in my heart because I managed to get my Dad into them before he passed away and we managed to catch a show together 18 months before he died. That show meant a lot to me, and listening to the band always helps me feel a little closer to him in some ways. This was what he posted on Facebook the following morning...

"Last night me and Luke went to see an amazing band in Bristol. They're called The Dear Hunter. It's as if Zeppelin and Yes had a bastard child with balls of steel, three wonderful guitarists and a VOICE. Wow, what a voice, it soars and it swoops, it screams and soothes. Thank you Luke for a great night much love Dad xxxx"

:heart

I’m not crying, you are…

:heart :heart

Great memory!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #561 on: October 26, 2023, 06:08:57 PM »
Just haven't dived into TDH much. Actually thinking of catching their upcoming show if work allows for it.

I am not a big TDH fan, mostly indifferent to The Acts albums, but The Color Spectrum (which isn't an Acts album) is an awesome album.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #562 on: October 26, 2023, 07:10:29 PM »
Another 0/2 for me (got nothing so far!)

I do enjoy The Dear Hunter...very unique in their being "theatrical" but not too cheesy. At some point I also found a used DVD of their live Color Spectrum performance and it's really neat.

Frank Zappa is another weird one, in that over time I've got a bunch of his albums, overall enjoyed them and always telling myself I need to do more of a deep dive, but never end up doing it. Hovering's post might just provide the inspiration I need. BTW, I did have my first exposure with Strictly Commercial too, and found it to be an excellent introduction.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #563 on: October 26, 2023, 07:12:53 PM »

Same here.

Hey Reaper, you did get my list didn't you? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #564 on: October 26, 2023, 07:18:08 PM »
I didn't return in time to submit a list to this, but will be fun to follow.

None of the artists featured so far would have made my list.  Zappa and King Crimson would have made my top 50 a decade ago, but I rarely listen to either anymore.  Both still have certain songs/albums I love and will revisit, but it's not enough to push either into my top 50 anymore.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #565 on: October 26, 2023, 08:06:04 PM »
I’m 1/8 so far, with Scorpions.

I am a fan of The Dear Hunter, Avenged Sevenfold and Symphony X and it’s probable than one or more of those bands would make my top 50.

I only have a couple of King Crimson albums, and they haven’t impacted me all that much.

I have always intended to check out some Zappa, but never got around to it. Will give a listen to the compilation that Jammindude recommended.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #566 on: October 26, 2023, 09:10:44 PM »
I’m 1/8 so far, with Scorpions.

I am a fan of The Dear Hunter, Avenged Sevenfold and Symphony X and it’s probable than one or more of those bands would make my top 50.

I only have a couple of King Crimson albums, and they haven’t impacted me all that much.

I have always intended to check out some Zappa, but never got around to it. Will give a listen to the compilation that Jammindude recommended.

[Wayne’s World]

XANG!!!  :tup

[/Wayne’s World]
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #567 on: October 26, 2023, 11:03:10 PM »

I do enjoy The Dear Hunter...very unique in their being "theatrical" but not too cheesy. At some point I also found a used DVD of their live Color Spectrum performance and it's really neat.

I agree with TDH being theatrical but not cheesy. Also, in all seriousness, if you ever want to part with that DVD, I'm interested!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #568 on: October 26, 2023, 11:17:58 PM »
I didn't submit as found this one too hard but I would have been a zero so far. All good artists but none would have been that close to my own top 25. This is going to a really fascinating countdown as we get closer to the actual top 25....

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #569 on: October 27, 2023, 03:51:17 AM »
2/8

20. Avenged Sevenfold
9. The Dear Hunter

Absolutely love The Dear Hunter! Hardly listened to anything else for months when I first got into the band and the Acts in particular in 2015 or so. I'm a big fan of recurring motifs in music so to have developing musical ideas carry over from album to album was just mindblowing to me. I would suggest Act IV as a good starting point for people curious about the acts. There is of course a story to follow but it's told pretty cryptically for the most part and is definitely not a requirement to enjoy the music. Act I is unfortunately the weakest of the bunch even though that's where I started.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #570 on: October 27, 2023, 04:05:37 AM »
Absolutely love The Dear Hunter! Hardly listened to anything else for months when I first got into the band and the Acts in particular in 2015 or so. I'm a big fan of recurring motifs in music so to have developing musical ideas carry over from album to album was just mindblowing to me. I would suggest Act IV as a good starting point for people curious about the acts. There is of course a story to follow but it's told pretty cryptically for the most part and is definitely not a requirement to enjoy the music. Act I is unfortunately the weakest of the bunch even though that's where I started.

I too am a big fan or recurring motifs (go figure, Coheed are my favourite band), and I second Act IV as the best starting point. As I said above, I consider it one of those flawless masterpieces, that is perfect beginning to end.

You lost me with your take on Act I thought. It is absolutely NOT the weakest! I know many will agree with you tbf, but to me the weakest is Act III. For one reason or another, that record just does not connect with me in the way the others do.

Also, going back to Act I, if you've not heard the "Live Recording" they did during COVID, on Pillar then you are missing out. It changed my view on the album and I now consider it the definitive version. It's been on streaming services the last few months, so go wild...

https://open.spotify.com/album/3dW2kN37rpgWWNg3v0HuCL?si=WAJjyJ2BSaOTyFaGLz6NEQ&context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A3dW2kN37rpgWWNg3v0HuCL

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: October 27, 2023, 04:08:19 AM »

Lastly,  I just wanted to say that The Dear Hunter hold a special little place in my heart because I managed to get my Dad into them before he passed away and we managed to catch a show together 18 months before he died. That show meant a lot to me, and listening to the band always helps me feel a little closer to him in some ways. This was what he posted on Facebook the following morning...

"Last night me and Luke went to see an amazing band in Bristol. They're called The Dear Hunter. It's as if Zeppelin and Yes had a bastard child with balls of steel, three wonderful guitarists and a VOICE. Wow, what a voice, it soars and it swoops, it screams and soothes. Thank you Luke for a great night much love Dad xxxx"

This is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing it.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #572 on: October 27, 2023, 04:24:05 AM »
Also, going back to Act I, if you've not heard the "Live Recording" they did during COVID, on Pillar then you are missing out. It changed my view on the album and I now consider it the definitive version. It's been on streaming services the last few months, so go wild...
I have listened to that, really great performance and definitely gave me a new appreciation for the album. His Hands Matched His Tongue has always been one of my favorite tracks as well. So it's not that I don't like act 1 but the other 4 are just so good!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #573 on: October 27, 2023, 04:30:05 AM »
I have listened to that, really great performance and definitely gave me a new appreciation for the album. His Hands Matched His Tongue has always been one of my favorite tracks as well. So it's not that I don't like act 1 but the other 4 are just so good!

Oh yeah, I get it. I don't dislike Act III, it's just that the other 4 are some the best records I've ever heard.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: October 27, 2023, 04:51:33 AM »
0/8.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF's Top 50 Bands/Artists Countdown Thread! (#42 & #43 up!)
« Reply #575 on: October 27, 2023, 05:14:47 AM »
No tie today!

43. Evergrey
Rate Your Music Profile!
Spotify Profile
Monthly Spotify Streams: 114,709
Highest Finish: 5 (Nachtmerrie)
Number of Lists appeared on: 6 (jingle.boy, wolfking, Nachtmerrie, Lethean, Evermind, nick_z)

I've seen the name get tossed around here, and perhaps I've heard a song or two but otherwise I'm completely unfamiliar with their music.

42. UFO
Rate Your Music Profile!
Spotify Profile
Monthly Spotify Streams: 946,280
Highest Finish: 1 (TAC)
Number of Lists appeared on: 4 (pg1067, TAC, devieira73, Zoom E)

My dad was a big UFO fan but it never really did much for me personally. In the spirit of the countdown I'm going to give their stuff a listen to later today.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 08:09:03 AM by ReaperKK »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: October 27, 2023, 05:16:34 AM »
I checked out UFO around this time last year. I liked what I heard, but never pursued it beyond a compilation album. Rock Bottom has a cool riff though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #577 on: October 27, 2023, 05:19:38 AM »
0/2 today.

These two were never gonna make my list and I've probably listened to a grand total of like 2 hours music for each of these bands.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: October 27, 2023, 05:22:30 AM »
1 / 10

Evergray
I have a few albums and like them quite a bit but they would not reach my 50th

UFO
I have not listened to UFO and they are not rated.

Not rated
Symphony X , Miles Davis, Avenged Sevenfold, Allagoch,
Scorpions, The Dear Hunter, Frank Zappa, Evergrey, UFO

2 King Crimson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: October 27, 2023, 05:23:24 AM »
Nice, Evergrey.  Kinda surprised to see them make even a top 50.

UFO would make a top 40 I reckon, even though Tim only got me into them a couple years ago.  They will probably climb over time though.  Amazing band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #580 on: October 27, 2023, 05:24:13 AM »
0/2 today for me as well. Heard of both bands but barely listened to either.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: October 27, 2023, 06:11:13 AM »
:metal

I'll post a more-detailed writeup when I'm back from work!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: October 27, 2023, 06:25:13 AM »
Looking forward to it Evermind!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #583 on: October 27, 2023, 06:50:35 AM »
Nice, my first hit!

I had Evergrey at #18. When I was putting my list together, I wasn't sure whether they'd crack the top 25. But the more I thought about it, the more they secured their place (I mean, they weren't even borderline, in the end!)

I've loved their music for a long time now - my first exposure was when I bought their Solitude Dominance Tragedy album as it was released.  And I have to say that run from that one all the way to The Inner Circle is pretty incredible (In Search of Truth and Recreation Day being my favorites). I actually didn't mind Monday Morning Apocalypse. The lull kinda happened with Torn and Glorious Collision, although even those two have songs I enjoy. Then the "reunion" (of sorts) happened and, as was recently discussed, the band truly hit another impressive streak of records. They might not have the same dark/proggy magic as the earlier ones for me, but their consistency is something else.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #584 on: October 27, 2023, 07:28:42 AM »
I own In Search of Truth, but I spun it a few times and I thought it was a big meh-burger. Never checked out anything else from Evergrey and I’m a bit surprised to see them here.

UFO is hit and miss with me. Really like some of their stuff, but I own Lights Out and I think it’s just OK. I have been wanting to check out Strangers in the Night though, so I will work on picking that up.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #585 on: October 27, 2023, 07:30:25 AM »
No tie today!

43. Everygrey
Rate Your Music Profile!
Spotify Profile
Monthly Spotify Streams: 114,709
Highest Finish: 5 (Nachtmerrie)
Number of Lists appeared on: 6 (jingle.boy, wolfking, Nachtmerrie, Lethean, Evermind, nick_z)

I've seen the name get tossed around here, and perhaps I've heard a song or two but otherwise I'm completely unfamiliar with their music.

42. UFO
Rate Your Music Profile!
Spotify Profile
Monthly Spotify Streams: 946,280
Highest Finish: 1 (TAC)
Number of Lists appeared on: 4 (pg1067, TAC, devieira73, Zoom E)

My dad was a big UFO fan but it never really did much for me personally. In the spirit of the countdown I'm going to give their stuff a listen to later today.

NR  Miles Davis
NR  Symphony X
NR  Agalloch
NR  The Deer Hunter
NR  Frank Zappa
NR  Evergrey
NR  UFO
29 King Crimson
25  ?
01  ?

Another two that I am not familiar with, and so, did not rank. I have seen those names tossed around here before though but I'm not even sure what genres they are.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #586 on: October 27, 2023, 07:37:29 AM »
Evergrey is really good. Everyone knows the classic three-album streak in the 00s, but I'd single out Glorious colission as an underrated one. The last several albums all have good stuff on them as well. I'd love to see them live again, I haven't attended a concert of theirs since 2008.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #587 on: October 27, 2023, 07:40:31 AM »
never heard of either of today's bands, lol

23 Miles Davis
17 King Crimson
15 Agalloch
1 Frank Zappa
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #588 on: October 27, 2023, 07:41:20 AM »
Never listened to either band.

Online HOF

« Reply #589 on: October 27, 2023, 07:43:59 AM »
Never heard Everygrey until I checked out some of them just now. Not my style.

UFO I’ve sampled a few times before but they didn’t catch my interest.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #590 on: October 27, 2023, 07:51:01 AM »
Checked out some Evergrey, never really stood out to me. UFO is before my time but I do like Doctor Doctor.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #591 on: October 27, 2023, 07:58:19 AM »
Ah, Evergrey - such an iconic band that nobody's even pointed out that Reaper misspelled it yet. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: October 27, 2023, 08:09:38 AM »
Ah, Evergrey - such an iconic band that nobody's even pointed out that Reaper misspelled it yet. :lol

Oops! Fixt. Sorry I do these before I head out to work so there could be good daily discussions but I'm often running on little to no coffee.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #593 on: October 27, 2023, 08:14:21 AM »

Oops! Fixt. Sorry I do these before I head out to work so there could be good daily discussions but I'm often running on little to no coffee.

Everygrey you shufflin'

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #594 on: October 27, 2023, 09:25:50 AM »
Everyone knows the classic three-album streak in the 00s

Sure about that?   :rollin

I've probably listened to a grand total of like 2 hours music for each of these bands.

Heard of both bands but barely listened to either.

I own In Search of Truth...Never checked out anything else from Evergrey

never heard of either of today's bands

Never listened to either band.

Never heard Everygrey until I checked out some of them just now.