Author Topic: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - The Top 2 to wrap things up  (Read 21760 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - The Godfather of Concept Albums
« Reply #525 on: April 02, 2023, 07:01:20 AM »
I'm pretty sure I know what the final 2 are gonna be as well :)

Well we know what one of them isn't.  :lol

Operation Mindcrime blew me away when it came out. Still does. I'm not aware of any album that once you start it, you don't come up for air until well into Side 2. Just one great song after another. And to think that this album loses steam with I Don't Believe In Love and Breaking The Silence...two songs that would lift any other album.

Amazing.

Believe it or not, I have never listened to LiveCrime. I never bought it because I thought the video was awful. And back in the day you couldn't buy one without the other. Plus it was just a live version of the album and not a full concert.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: April 02, 2023, 07:28:09 AM »
I think O:M was the first complete album of QR I checked out and while I liked it at first my appreciation only grew as time went on. It's still the only QR album that I like start to finish, the band felt like it was firing on all cylinders back then.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: April 02, 2023, 08:09:55 AM »
Fall of '91, my ex and I saw this show in Auburn Hills, Michigan, even though they played in Kalamazoo that week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeK8iv2G2do&t=28s

('Silent Ludicidity' from Toronto to make it complete      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pltux5jnxc8)

A real pity an official live release of the entire show was never made available, especially considering the gap before PL was released. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline HOF

« Reply #528 on: April 02, 2023, 08:12:43 AM »
A great album that I gained renewed appreciation for during the most recent QR top song thread.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: April 02, 2023, 08:21:11 AM »
Solid album and well-deserved placement.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #530 on: April 02, 2023, 10:16:25 AM »
Yesterday would have been the perfect time to roll out The Astonishing.  Elon Musk would have approved.

Damn straight O:M is a top 3 concept album.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #531 on: April 02, 2023, 11:07:33 AM »
Yesterday would have been the perfect time to roll out The Astonishing.  Elon Musk would have approved.

It would have been, but I was away for the weekend with Mrs.jingle and only had no time to consider doing that. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #532 on: April 02, 2023, 02:33:18 PM »
Yeah, this record has to be here in the top 3, absolute masterpiece.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #533 on: April 02, 2023, 03:34:04 PM »
I saw "Godfather of Concept Albums" and expected to find Tommy.  But O:M is an absolute monster for so many reasons.  So glad I got to see the whole thing (and also most of it) live.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #534 on: April 02, 2023, 03:42:51 PM »
So glad I got to see the whole thing (and also most of it) live.

Er...what exactly does this mean?  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #535 on: April 02, 2023, 04:24:08 PM »
And to think that this album loses steam with I Don't Believe In Love

I actually think that's either my favorite or second favorite on the album.  It's obviously a classic, though I have to admit I've been neglecting it in recent years. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: April 02, 2023, 05:31:07 PM »

He accidentally the whole thing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - back at it with #13 and #4
« Reply #537 on: April 02, 2023, 09:21:18 PM »
1 is an unheralded gem those that know me should know it’s coming
1 is from an artist that pretty much only writes concept albums.

I know the second one and I know I really should know what the first one is, but can't pick it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #538 on: April 03, 2023, 06:25:48 AM »
Some will argue SFAM, but which album influenced which? 

Some would be idiots then.  How does an album that comes out in the Fall of 1999 influence an album that came out mid-1988?  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #539 on: April 03, 2023, 06:29:06 AM »
I tried, many times, to get into QR, but they are one of those bands that I enjoy individual tracks here and there, but nothing more. I listened to this album in full a few times, and it just never clicked with me. It's been a while though, maybe I should try again to see if it clicks now :dunno:
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #540 on: April 03, 2023, 09:25:47 AM »
3. Queensryche / Operation:Mindcrime [1988]

<I'd be remiss if I didn't give a nod to Livecrime, as I'm just as likely to reach for it when I need a Mindcrime fix.  The live rendition just gives it that extra zhuugshe  :hefdaddy>

I called The Wall the OG of Concept Albums.  IMO, this is the Godfather - at least in the genre of Prog-Metal.  There's no question.  Some will argue SFAM, but which album influenced which?  That gives O:M the nod, imo.  I'd also match put it in the conversation of Greatest Metal album of all-time... and for these ears, we can even drop the "metal" requirement, as it's in my Top 10 of all-time.  Period.

I first picked this album up after the band reached their mainstream popularity with Empire, and fuck me hard I never got to see this performed in it's entirety - as I recall just getting in to the band a few months after Building Empires had rolled through Toronto.  At the time, I did most of my album purchases from a flea market vendor who always had like-new quality CDs on the cheap.  He was a great source to buy/sell CDs in the pre-internet era where you didn't really have any opportunity to sample things.  Dropping $20-ish on a new album on a whim sometimes paid off; other times it didn't.  This was one of those times it paid off massively, digging into the back-catalogue of this band I'd only heard the radio hits off of one album.

Mindcrime is the peak of their career and 'maximum' Queensryche.  From a truly progressive perspective, this is the album that propelled Queensryche from being a cult-like prog metal band, to a full on heavyweight in the genre.  Like most rock opera’s, it’s a very unique and gripping story, takes the listener through all the requisite ups and downs of moods and emotions, and gives you new insight to it each time you listen to it.  Like any good rock opera, it’s got a live version as good – nay, better – than the studio (when the crowd screams “REVOLUTION CALLING!”, it brings goose bumps every time).  I've watched the concert DVD dozens of times, and it's still gripping and compelling, 35 years later.  It’s one of those albums that you know right from the first 90 seconds, you’re going to be in for something special, on the edge of your seat for what’s about to come.  I remember hearing “Sweet dreams … you bastard” and thinking, ‘well, this is going to be interesting, wonder what he did?’  Then the power packed Anarchy-X instrumental, highlighting DeGarmo’s brilliant guitar work and Rockenfield absolutely obliterating the skins.  The overall concept covering religion, political upheaval, chemical manipulation and social wrongdoings was something Tate put more effort into than anything else he ever did with Queensryche .. and the result reflects that effort.  A compelling story, absolutely precise and flawless musicianship, fantastic production quality, and vocals from Tate when he was one of (if not) the best in the prog/metal genre.  This album stands the test of time and is another one of those concept albums that has heavily influenced all others after it.  No one can deny the impact on its niche of music, O:M takes the title as the greatest of Prog-metal concept album – and yes, I do believe it’s better than SFAM (despite what this community believes).  TASTESTM!!!  There likely isn't a single album on my list that came out post 1988 that can't point to O:M as a source of influence and/or inspiration.

Fave Song - Suite Sister Mary

Best concept album, and best album of all time. Hands down.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #541 on: April 03, 2023, 10:24:50 AM »
Yeah, I listened to the album again and it's just not for me.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #542 on: April 03, 2023, 10:54:01 AM »

Some would be idiots then.  How does an album that comes out in the Fall of 1999 influence an album that came out mid-1988?  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I had to re-read that myself, but I think jingle's just saying that some would argue SFAM is the better/more important album but Jingle (thinking O:M is better based on this list) is pointing out that Mindcrime was a major influence on SFAM.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: April 03, 2023, 11:05:03 AM »

I had to re-read that myself, but I think jingle's just saying that some would argue SFAM is the better/more important album but Jingle (thinking O:M is better based on this list) is pointing out that Mindcrime was a major influence on SFAM.

And if you are right, those people are also idiots.  Can someone argue SFAM is better?  Sure.  More important?  Only if they enjoy being as credible as a brain damaged skunk.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: April 09, 2023, 05:03:02 AM »
Well, saving this from Page 2.  Life has been brutally hectic lately, so I think I'll just wrap this up.  Couple of long posts - given these are the top 2, and 2 of my Top 5 of all-time.  The order might surprise some, but not the albums (at least, for those that know me). 

2. Elinoire / Flaming Row [2011]

It all started with a random post by Ich Bin Besser (https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25455.0) hyping this album.  At the time, I’d never even heard of IBB before, and he doesn't post often anymore - I'm not even really sure why I clicked on the thread.  Interesting writeup, and decent lineup of contributors (including Gary Wehrkamp and Brendt Allman from Shadow Gallery, Jimmy Keegan from Spock’s Beard, and Billy Sherwood ex of Yes).  It probably wasn’t until Nick’s reply that he was sure to check it out that I took any notice.  After watching the trailer on YT, I was hooked enough to purchase.  Spent $30 to buy directly from the band (that’s the only place I could find it at the time), and that’s easily the most I’ve ever spent on a single CD.  I’ll tell you this, it was worth every fuckin penny.  Amazingly, Nick posted his review (https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=27179.0) about an hour after I got the CD in the mail, and with a 10/10 rating, and statements like “I will even go so far to say that the various female vocalists on this album are better utilized than the woman on any Ayreon album.” I was intrigued (given my – and Nick’s – absolute love for everything Ayreon).  Following the ‘making of’ videos they posted to YouTube made me love this all the more. And because I was very proud of the review I did for the good Lady Obscure back in the day, I have to paste it here.

I’m not an artist by any stretch, in any discipline -- music, video, art … anything.  I don’t have much talent in that arena anymore.  I’m not all that creative either.  Even if I did have the talent or creativity, I don’t have the discipline or patience to fine-tune and hone my craft over, and over, and over again until it’s just right.  I much rather prefer to just appreciate the efforts and talents of others.  I’ve often wondered if musicians, artists of any sorts really, truly appreciate their own work, and can recognize when they’ve put together something special… given the countless times they’ve had to re-listen to every little aspect of their creation.  Then, an album comes along like Flaming Row’s Elinoire, and I can’t help but think that the creators MUST know it.  How could they not?  When the end result is a true gem that was the best album I heard in 2011, topping (in my opinion) heavy-weights such as A Dramatic Turn of Events, Iconoclast and Imaginaerum.  And amongst my musical peers, I wasn’t alone in the belief that it was one of the (if not the) best prog-metal albums of 2011.

Such is the creation that Martin Schnella and Kiri Geile ended with in Elinoire.  Brace yourselves, here’s another concept album.  Yes, we do love them here.  Elinoire provides another very unique and intriguing concept:

The story about a young British family. Lea and Adam Baltwin are at their prime of life, having great jobs and live in prosperity. Lea became pregnant. But while the birth of their daughter Elinoire, Lea died because of medical reasons. Adam never overcame the sudden death of his beloved wife and laid the blame on Elinoire. Within the years he could not build up an ordinary relationship to Elinoire. Adam’s father Cyrus Baltwin took on the role of the father figure. But after some years, some true facts about the previous life of Lea were revealed. Was Lea’s death really an accident?

The story is told by the real characters, their emotions (Love, Rage…) and some virtuals (Time, Destiny, Death, Spirit and so on). There are 15 different singers, female and male, performing the roles of the story.

Something is to be said when a relatively unknown German prog-metal act is able to attract some (almost) household prog names in Gary Wehrkamp and Brendt Allman (Shadow Gallery), Billy Sherwood (1990s Yes), and Jimmy Keegan (Spock’s Beard) to contribute to this masterpiece.  Combined those talents with relatively unknown female vocalists (at least for my North American ears) Micheala Auer, Jessica Schmalle, and Anne Trautman, and this is pound for pound, easily comparable against some of the greatest prog-metal concept albums of all time… as good as Scenes From A Memory and Operation:Mindcrime.  The ladies on this album are the true hidden gems.  The passion that comes through their voices is unmistakable, and incredibly moving.  The album contains some remarkably impressive vocal layering, especially in the opening track, which at 95 seconds, tells much of the story, and has more lyrical content than 8 minute tracks that come later.  Schnella was even able to make me a fan (at least on this album) of scream/growl vocals.  Usually, I can’t stand them, but they are used so incredibly appropriately, you can’t help but appreciate and love them.

Musically, the guitars are what really stand out to me – and all forms… electric, acoustic, baritone, 12-string, mandolin, banjo.  Raw, powerful, delicate, simple, grandiose… I’m not sure what other ways I can describe how incredible and diverse they are from track to track.  The melodies and solo’s (contributed by seven different axemen) are simply astounding.  There are so many riffs that just get stuck in your head.  Like any good concept album, Schnella was not afraid to incorporate several non-traditional instruments, most noticeably on the banjo-led Do You Like Country Grandpa? -- a short instrumental that is so out of place, it fits magically, and is a welcome (albeit brief) reprieve from the prog-metal on auditory display.

Rage of Despair is the first apex of the story, and the heaviest track of the album, containing one of the aforementioned riffs that get stuck in your head.  Unearth the Truth is the true climax, and (re?) opens the true questions of the story that go unanswered, left up to the listener to figure out, or draw their own conclusions (of which I have drawn three distinct possibilities of my own).  The final conclusion comes with A Place to Revive Your Soul, a five part track that revisits all the elements you’ve just experienced for the last 17 songs … guitar melodies and riffs that envelope you, vocal layering that hits you from every angle, multiple guitar solos that change the mood and emotion being portrayed, all stitched together in a magnificent manner.

Lyrically, Elinoire is a wonderfully complex character driven album, using not only “people” as the characters, but (similar to The Human Equation) utilizes more non-human characters (Spirit, Love, Time, Season, Conscience, Destiny, Death, Rage, Liberty and Forgiveness) to deliver the story.  Some (Schnella as Spirit, Wehrkamp as Conscience and Geile as Destiny) are prominent throughout, while others pop in for key contributions, or even just a chorus or two.  The lyrics are intricately woven between physical and virtual characters, and it is the latter that carries the sub-plot -- one of the many reasons I keep coming back to this album.  Many concept albums (including the greats of Tommy, The Wall, Operation:Mindcrime and Scenes From A Memory ) don’t leave a lot to the imagination with respect to the story – being fairly easy to follow and understand, even the sub-plot’s.  However, I still haven’t figured out the true story behind Elinoire.  I still find something new every time I listen to it, a new sound that ‘wows’ me, or a new piece to the puzzle uncovering the truth behind the story.  Given English is clearly a second language for Schnella and Geile, the lyrics are filled with cute translations and pronunciations – not in a bad way whatsoever.  While they provide a charm that (ironically) can’t be accurately described in English (“Don’t fool about”; “I’m forever on your side at all the time”; “My camouflage’s uncovered now” and several other instances) they also make comprehending the sub-plot a little more difficult.

Based on the web-series the band released on Youtube chronicling the recording, Elinoire appears to be essentially a self-produced album.  And in that case, the overall package is even that much more impressive.  It’s fantastic to see two people so committed and passionate about their craft, and that dedication shows in the final output.

Fave Song - Unearth The Truth
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: April 09, 2023, 05:20:12 AM »
1. The Human Equation / Ayreon [2004]

I'm not sure how to top that writeup, so I won't even really try.  THE gets the slight edge ad #1 for the quantity (20 mins longer than Elinoire), The Theater Equation (despite the not great video production), and it's been around for 7 years longer.  THE was my gateway album to a shit ton of prog-metal discovery back in 2005 - the same guy that got me 'in' to DT introduced me to Ayreon.  And from Ayreon, I discovered so much more prog-metal.  THE was the proverbial snowball - the first little ball rolling down hill ... and it keeps growing to this day.  THE unlocked an insatiable drive and desire to discover and consume as much music as I feasibly could. It's my #2 Album of All Time.  For all those reasons, it had to be my #1

Some people have a gift and know how to use it. Arjen Lucassen is one of them. He's got three albums here in this Top 50, (and four in my original Top 5) ... yes, I do believe he’s a musical genius, and a modern day “The Godfather” of concept albums to some degree.  I’ll admit to being a massive fanboi of his works, as there isn’t anything I’ve heard of his that I don’t like (and yes, that includes Ambeon and The Guilt Machine).  This one in particular has to be his most ambitious project (at the time) with 12 brilliant vocalists and 10 musicians producing sounds from over 20 different instruments (including a recorder and a didgeridoo!), and even more sounds when you consider the keyboard samples.  Straying from the sci-fi/fantasy feel and themes from his previous 5 Ayreon discs, The Human Equation takes the listener on a grandiose emotional journey – with some incredible highs and lows, never letting you go, pulling you into the life of ‘Me’.  For those that don’t know the story, here’s the Cliffs Notes – a man (“Me”) is hospitalized and in a coma due to a car accident. Cut off from the outside world, he finds himself trapped in a strange realm where his emotions- most of which he's ignored for a long time- have come to life to confront him with all the choices he has made in his life. As he is taken from one memory to the next, he slowly becomes aware of all the events leading up to his accident, and realizes that if he ever wants to wake up from his coma, he must find a way out of this emotional prison.  Right from the very first track and complete listen (and like any concept album, there’s really no other way to do it), you find that it’s so expansive and diverse – lyrically, melodically, stylistically, instrumentally, vocally… there’s nothing simple about this album or any of the 20 tracks in any way imaginable.  It gives the listener a blend of rock, metal, space and some traditional rock, symphonic, and atmospheric all in one double-disc.  Arjen gets the absolute best out of his musicians and vocalists, and makes you want to learn more about their music (if you didn’t already know them).  It was his projects that in turn got me in to Symphony X, After Forever, Blind Guardian, Stream of Passion, Shadow Gallery and others.  Lyrically, it’s second to none in my book, some of my favorite lines being:

- I can’t accept this, we will find a way / Out of this cesspool of doom and dismay / Beyond this dejection there’s beauty and grace / A glorious future we long to embrace
- Be a man, give into hate / You better learn to communicate / Better to learn to protect yourself / That's not the way to get out of this hell
- The loved ones are waiting, break out of you cage / You have the power, give in to your rage / Listen to Pride now, for once he is right / Listen to Reason, let us be your guide

The cast is glorious; honestly, the best gathering of prog-metal vocalists of any multi-vocalist album ever.  Most I'd never heard of at the time - Arjen does have a knack for finding the rare and obscure.

James LaBrie (Dream Theater) as Me
Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth, Bloodbath) as Fear
Eric Clayton (Saviour Machine) as Reason
Heather Findlay (ex-Mostly Autumn) as Love
Irene Jansen as Passion
Magnus Ekwall (The Quill) as Pride
Devon Graves (Deadsoul Tribe, Psychotic Waltz) as Agony
Arjen Anthony Lucassen as Best Friend
Marcela Bovio (Elfonía) as Wife
Mike Baker (Shadow Gallery) as Father
Devin Townsend (Strapping Young Lad) as Rage

Each vocalist plays their role amazingly. The the way the story of THE has them playing off of one another, and working in harmony is just brilliant - in both the writing and the performance.

Fave Song - all of 'em, but I am kinda partial to the combo of Day 10 and Day 11

And with that, we're done.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.Boy's Top 50 Concept Albums - The Top 2 to wrap things up
« Reply #546 on: April 09, 2023, 11:42:18 AM »
It's late here and I'm going to sleep, but just posting to remind me to go back to this thread. I've got a lot to say about these, particularly THE.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #547 on: April 09, 2023, 01:31:56 PM »
I very much agree with THE, it's awesome and worthy of the number one pick. I kinda disagree with Elinoire, not a bad record, but it tries to be much more than it really is, imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #548 on: April 09, 2023, 01:35:56 PM »
Two great albums! I actually thought Elinoire would be #1, it's been a long time since I've heard it, I shall play it again someday soon :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: April 09, 2023, 02:21:28 PM »
Always knew from the start that THE was number 1.  I agree though, it's fucking amazing.

I should have picked number 2 also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: April 09, 2023, 03:12:10 PM »
First off awesome thread Chad! A lot of music that I've never heard of (and still need to visit) and some fantastic write-ups! I'm currently cruising through the Flaming Row album and I'm really digging it, especially the vocal melodies. It actually might be my favorite album that you've posted here that I wasn't already familiar with (so not including The Wall, or O:M etc.)

I remember listening to that Ayreon album years ago and not really connecting with it for some reason, I didn't hate it but I never really listened to it after the first couple listens. I gave the two songs you posted a spin and I liked them better than I remember (which is very little). I'll give that album a go tomorrow and see how my thoughts have changed.

I think you might've answered this before but how much of the story do you pick up from the music? I enjoy concept albums too but I personally piece very little of the story together until I do some actual research into the lyrics and overall theme.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: April 09, 2023, 06:44:57 PM »
If I didn’t have the liner notes and/or lyrics, I probably wouldn’t know much about a given story. Like, would I know JLB Is “Me”, or Devin Townsend is “Rage” without a little extra research?  Not likely. Would any of us really comprehend the story of Victoria, Julian, and Edward without the liner notes / lyric sheet?

Some albums we’ve all spent so much time with, we just pick up the lyrics and the story regardless.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #552 on: April 10, 2023, 11:52:41 AM »

:lol

On May 12, 1989, I saw QR at Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre.  They played most of O:M (everything except Suite Sister Mary).  On December 14, 1991, I saw QR on the Empire tour at Long Beach Arena and they played the whole thing.  I also saw the abridged version when QR opened for Metallica on December 7 and 8, 1988 at LB Arena (Anarchy-X, Revolution, O:M, Speak, Disease, Mission, I Don't Believe and Eyes - with Take Hold of the Flame nestled in between Mission and IDBIL)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: April 10, 2023, 06:27:25 PM »
I was mowing the lawn today and listen to Kendrick Lamar's Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers and I thought of this thread. If you're feeling adventures for fairly intense hip hop concept album I'd recommend it a listen Chad. It's actually an album I feel like you'd get the concept without needing to look up anything up.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #554 on: April 10, 2023, 08:08:11 PM »
I was mowing the lawn today and listen to Kendrick Lamar's Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers and I thought of this thread. If you're feeling adventures for fairly intense hip hop concept album I'd recommend it a listen Chad. It's actually an album I feel like you'd get the concept without needing to look up anything up.
I don't see Chad liking Kendrick Lamar at all. I don't even like Kendrick Lamar and I like everything.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #555 on: April 10, 2023, 08:10:43 PM »
My son and his friends went to see Kendrick Lamar at the Garden last year, and the footage was incredible.

Offline Animal

« Reply #556 on: April 11, 2023, 01:42:40 AM »
Thanks for this thread. I just checked it every now and then, didn't really have much to say. All I can say for now that it was wrapped up with a very worthy n. 1. What music, what a cast! It was my gateway to a lot of other prog/metal stuff too.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #557 on: April 12, 2023, 12:32:53 PM »
Definitely a great argument for the best Ayreon album.  I discovered it and Star One around the same time and it wound up being a pretty pivotal moment for the expansion of my musical universe. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: April 12, 2023, 08:19:57 PM »
I had 34 of these before you started.  Anthriel was a great find, and I know that Jorn/Dracula album will be the tits if I find it.

Also, no Savatage?  Is it because you haven’t heard Streets and Dead Winter Dead,or is it TASTESTM?

Back me up on this Kade.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 09:54:25 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #559 on: April 13, 2023, 12:40:13 AM »
I had 34 of these before you started.  Anthriel was a great find, and I know that Jorn/Dracula album will be the tits if I find it.

Also, no Savatage?  Is it because you haven’t heard Streets and Dead Winter Dead,or is it TASTESTM?

Back me up on this Kade.
Heh, Streets and Dead Winter Dead are my 2 least favorite Savatage albums post-Fight for the Rock.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar