Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 119679 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Here are the early impressions filled out.  I should have comparisons ready tomorrow. 

Round 13 Early Impressions:

1:  Tomislav95 - Seventh Wonder - This is definitely a comfortable sound, but will it stand out? 

2:  Sacul - Fishmans - Back on the roller coaster, here we go!

3:  HOF - Stefano Panunzi - What if the weather channel music was way cooler? 

4:  ariich - Beyond the Bridge - This seems like such low-hanging fruit I'm surprised it took this long for someone to pluck it. 

5:  Puppies_On_Acid - Shylmagoghnar - This might be the best thing you've sent yet. 

6:  Lethean - Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik - Now here is some relative minimalism that is mostly done right. 

7:  Buddyhunter1 - Guilt Machine - Well, this is better than I remember.  Why didn't I already know this?  Oops. 

8:  twosuitsluke - Better Lovers - There are some interesting elements here, though it might be a bit chaotic and manic for me. 

9:  SoundscapeMN - The Dear Hunter - I didn't get the hype about them when they came out, and I still don't really get it now, but this does improve my opinion of them a decent amount. 

10:  TAC - Moonshade - My preferences in this style probably seem arbitrary from the outside, and though this doesn't quite hit the bullseye, it's still pretty good. 

11:  Crow - Victory Over the Sun - It's a bit too abstract and weird for me, but at least it's definitely better than I recalled. 

12:  senecadawg2 - Leonard Cohen - Well this is definitely the biggest surprise of the round. 

13:  soupytwist - Ghost - Good thing I'm judging this entry, not the participants or various slices of music fandom. 

14:  Vmadera00 - Mask of the Phantasm - Not only does this have more memorable vocals, it also has cool trippy guitars and crazy drumming. 

15:  Stadler - Rival Sons - I often find this style enjoyable but not exciting, but this one has a little somethin' extra to it. 

16:  Evermind - Soen - There's no good reason I don't already know this band well enough to ban them, but I don't, so you're probably grabbing the free points on the table that no one else noticed. 

17:  Nachtmerrie - MESTIS - Lots of cool ideas here, but it seems like it's missing something melodically. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin

13:  soupytwist - Ghost - Good thing I'm judging this entry, not the participants or various slices of music fandom. 

Here a quick looky round the 'net and still don't really get this.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

I think it's because some of us expressed disliked for Ghost, so he is saying it's a good things he is not considering our opinion of the band.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

They're also one of the biggest and most polarizing metal-ish acts of the past dozen years or so.  I'll probably get into it a bit more in the writeup. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train

They're one of the biggest and most polarizing metal-ish acts of the past dozen years or so.  I'll probably get into it a bit more in the writeup.

This might not have been what you were implying in your impression at all, but big and polarizing doesn't automatically mean a shit fanbase. They're not Tool, at least. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

They're one of the biggest and most polarizing metal-ish acts of the past dozen years or so.  I'll probably get into it a bit more in the writeup.

This might not have been what you were implying in your impression at all, but big and polarizing doesn't automatically mean a shit fanbase. They're not Tool, at least. :lol

Or Dream Theater.  :neverusethis:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
2:  Sacul - Fishmans - Back on the roller coaster, here we go!
If your GIFpressions weren't obtuse enough, this actual impression is on another level of indirection :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Glad to be of help.   :lol   The comparison will be even more useful.  :p

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think whenever I run another roulette I'll try to have the most weird, unhinged impressions I can muster ;D

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Round 13 Comparisons:

twosuitsluke:  Carpenters -> Better Lovers:  v
ariich:  Ultravox -> Beyond the Bridge:  ^
Nachtmerrie:  Golden Earring -> MESTIS:  v
Sacul:  Talk Talk -> Fishmans:  v
TAC:  Lucifer's Friend -> Moonshade:  v
Buddyhunter1:  Comus -> Guilt Machine:  ^
Elite:  Jeff Beck -> ???:dunno:
Lethean:  Crimson Glory -> Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik:  ^
Crow:  10cc -> Victory Over the Sun:  v
Vmadera00:  Steely Dan -> The Mask of the Phantasm:  ^
Puppies_On_Acid:  The Cult -> Shylmagoghnar:  ^
Stadler:  Duran Duran -> Rival Sons:  ^
Tomislav95:  Dire Straits -> Seventh Wonder:  ^
Evermind:  Dire Straits -> Soen:  ^
SoundscapeMN:  Michael Nesmith -> The Dear Hunter:  ^
soupytwist:  Electric Light Orchestra -> Ghost:  ^
HOF:  The Blue Nile -> Stefano Panunzi:  ^
senecadawg2:  Bob Dylan -> Leonard Cohen:  ^

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
After that first impression it better be ^  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
EP sent!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Hmm, one more 9, possibly? :corn
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
excited

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Results are getting pretty close.  Let's say Monday to be safe, though tomorrow is a possibility, we'll see. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :corn :corn :corn

Offline Lethean

Round 13 Comparisons:

Lethean:  Crimson Glory -> Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik:  ^

I completely agree. :)

Here are the early impressions filled out.  I should have comparisons ready tomorrow. 

6:  Lethean - Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik - Now here is some relative minimalism that is mostly done right. 

Interesting.  I don't think I'd have described it as minimalism, but then again I suppose I've never really thought about music that way.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
That's why I put the "relative" qualifier there.  I know it's not "true" minimalism.  I may seem a bit pedantic at times, but trust me, I am a true rank amateur compared to many others I've encountered. 

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
So this was the highest scoring round yet.  Some of you are definitely trying to pull out all the stops now.  It's also the second best vocal round of the whole roulette, behind round 5. 

---

Sacul - Fishmans - "Night Cruising", "Pokka Pokka", "Weather Report"

Early Impression - "Back on the roller coaster, here we go!"

Final Summary:

There are a variety of pleasing moments instrumentally, especially the main groove in "Weather Report", but the ideas don't quite sustain the length of the tracks, and the vocals are often too strange and warbly for me. 

Details:

Fishmans is one of those groups that Rate Your Music has really latched onto, and I had heard Long Season awhile back and thought it had some interesting ideas, but was rather underwhelmed by it.  And that continues here.  However, as random as it might seem, the old Saturday Night Live "Night at the Roxbury" GIF actually does kind of capture the strength of these tunes, primarily "Weather Report".  I dig the chilled trip-hop-esque groove there, and it has a sweet bassline over a pretty cool chord progression.  But, the track is quite long at almost 9 minutes, and without quite enough variation or melodic appeal to keep it from overstaying its welcome. 

The alternate version of this song (music video?, in-studio performance?, I'm not sure) actually has some different ideas that would have helped a bit, though that one is even longer at approaching 12 minutes.  It has a cool doubled guitar/violin melody towards the end with ornamentation that would have boosted it a tad, for example.  If you could maybe combine the ideas from the two into a 6-7 minute-ish track that wasn't quite so repetitive it still wouldn't be topping the round, but it would be somewhat more effective.  I'm not generally a fan of single edits, but this might be one that needs it. 

It does have a few other salient aspects though, like that filter-swept sound effect that pops up at 1:24 and a few other spots, the cascading sound effect at 3:00, or the hand percussion in some spots.  "Night Cruising" has a nice piano motif at 4:50, and then "Pokka Pokka" has a neat part at 1:04 with the guitar riff and chromatic percussion, and the string arrangement later on is nice as well.  Although, that weird sound at 3:02 in "Weather Report" (maybe a pitch-shifted vocal sample) doesn't really work for me.  The guitar tones are a bit much on the fuzzier/muddier side, particularly in "Pokka Pokka", though it's not a rock/metal track so it's not as big a deal as some other songs.  The electric piano tone and synth pad are a bit bland as well. 

The key thing holding back all the songs though is the vocals.  They're just really strange.  Dream pop-adjacent music often goes for more floating, ethereal-style vocals, but these are just often kind of bizarre.  3:23 in "Night Cruising" for the next minute or so is probably the worst offender, where it just sounds like out of tune, squeaky caterwauling. 

Score:  6.5/10

---

Crow - Victory Over the Sun - "Thorn Woos the Wound"

Early Impression - "It's a bit too abstract and weird for me, but at least it's definitely better than I recalled."

Final Summary:

This is really not my style of music, but it is better than I was anticipating and certainly has thought-provoking ideas worth investigating. 

Details:

Based on my previous listen to this song and minor recollection of some banter about it in ariich's roulette, and my general feeling about this style, I was worrying that it would get one of the lowest roulette scores yet.  And well, I'm happy to report that it's not actually all that bad.  Probably not the score you want for it, but there's a lot more to appreciate about it than I thought there'd be. 

So generally I'm not that into anything too much resembling dissodeath/dissoblack.  I have my exceptions, but for the most part it's just a lot of weird experimentation for the sake of it without anything very melodic or memorable to latch onto for replay.  There is a curiosity about some of it that I'll get into a bit later, but the pop hook part of my brain is still pretty active even in more extreme genres.  The closest thing to an exception on a larger scale is the Swedish old-school death scene and some of the adjacent crust punk/D-beat bands, where the Boss HM-2 pedal guitar tone and other elements intoxicate me, even though it's generally pretty grimy and not particularly tuneful music.  But as I think Buddy described it in ariich's roulette, there's a "sour" quality to a lot of the dissonant, avant-garde style bands that just doesn't sit right with me.  If anything, I'm generally more about the mixture or contrast of sweet and sour. 

Overall this does lean a bit too much for me towards the latter, with a lot of dissonant or even borderline atonal riffs that I just don't tend to remember well, but it does have a number of positive qualities.  While still not quite my ideal, the rhythm guitar parts mixed with the bass in spots gives this a bit weightier tone than a lot of the atmospheric black metal and such I've been receiving and heard in other roulettes and my own listening.  So that's a few steps of progress.  It's also nice to hear a lot of more gratifying independent lines for the bass, which is all too commonly put on the backburner in black metal mixes. 

I find it fascinating that you don't listen to much older music, because the way the drums are captured on this track sounds very 70s-esque.  The bass drums have a bit more attack to them, but everything else about the drums has a fairly dry retro vibe.  5:44 in particular sounds like a bit more outré version of parts of Opeth's "The Garroter".  7:54 is especially interesting, with a kind of creepy ambiance that reminds me of the mellower moments of FVNERALS, and maybe a hint of Bohren & der Club of Gore.  The harmonized arpeggios at 15:52 are definitely a little otherworldly-sounding, though just a bit too on the queasy side of being in tune with each other.  Super-long songs like this are a bit harder to evaluate in general, particularly in less comfortable styles, but it was fascinating to watch some common threads weave together, like a clean restatement at 14:10 of a much earlier theme from 1:19. 

Another challenge with this type of project is it's 90+% the work of one person.  Like other earlier submissions in the roulette such as Gallowbraid, I find the idea of solo multi-instrumentalists conceptually thrilling, being a multi-instrumentalist myself, but it's just so rare for them to be as successful in my listening as band projects.  It just seems there's often a synergy and cohesion lost without more collaborative input. 

However, I am quite taken with the idea of the microtonal music on the previous album of VotS on an instrument that Vivian made dividing the scale up into 17 equal parts.  I may not be crazy about the final product there either, but I'm definitely curious to at least give it a listen if you have a track suggestion or two.  I like a lot of Indian and Middle Eastern music that has microtonal elements, and I feel it's generally underexplored in more western genres, so that certainly piques my interest. 

Overall, this sound is just not and might never be in my wheelhouse, but it did exceed my expectations, so that's a start.  And I don't know if this is any further consolation or not, but at some point Youtube auto-played "Madeline Becoming Judy", which had a really irresistible intro melodically, and I actually enjoyed that one a bit more than this soft song - I think the more prominent synths in it helped some. 

There's one other detail relating to this album that I'll PM you about shortly. 

Score:  6.75/10

---

twosuitsluke - Better Lovers - "Sacrificial Participant", "30 Under 13", "Become So Small", "God Made Me An Animal"

Early Impression - "There are some interesting elements here, though it might be a bit chaotic and manic for me."

Final Summary:

The wilder songs are still a bit much for me, but "Sacrificial Participant" is such a strong song, and Greg Puciato's performance is mostly stellar enough that I've enjoyed it much more than I thought I might. 

Details:

This was a really hard one to score.  The bulk of the last three tracks are not too far off from Gallows that you sent a few rounds ago - perhaps a bit heavier, but with less varied instrumentation.  It's that 90s/00s style of metallic hardcore/mathcore that I associate with Converge, Dillinger Escape Plan and such that I've never really been able to get into.  It's too over the top and crazy for me generally, with a lot of panic chords and random-feeling riffage that I'd have to listen to dozens of times to remember anything specific about. 

But "Sacrificial Participant" is something a bit different.  It's much more melodic in the riffing and leads and with the clean chorus, is much closer to a lot of the melodic metalcore that I like.  Plus, it has that beautiful atmospheric middle section.  Even the riff at 1:32 has some pretty tricky rhythmic arrangements to it - I wasn't quite expecting a prog feel from them, but there one is.  If all the songs were like it this would certainly score much higher.  Incidentally, it's the one that online fans of this band seem to dislike the most.  Go figure.  The title track is a bit more melodic as well, though it isn't quite as effective.  The lead line at 1:59 is rather nice though, or the heavier riff at 3:34.  It's certainly the second best track of the batch.  "30 Under 13" also has a fun change halfway through with the impromptu thrash riff and solo. 

The other thing that pulls this up a decent amount is that I've kind of become fascinated with Greg Puciato ever since Sacul sent The Black Queen a few rounds ago.  Not too many people have had the type of life he's had, and produced the variety of music he has.  But here specifically, while I'm pickier about hardcore-style vocals in general, he has the sort of voice that works perfectly for it, and it's hard to believe the same set of lungs is producing such a range of sounds even just between this band and TBQ.  It's fascinating how discovering that someone is skilled at something you didn't realize about them can make you reappraise their other abilities as well. 

I really want to hear Greg in a 00s-styled melodeath band - just imagine him replacing both Tomas Lindberg and Tom Englund's parts in Nightrage's "Hero" that I sent in ariich's roulette - he'd be perfect for it.  His delivery is a bit too nasal in the cleans on the title track here and maybe leans a bit much on falsetto in the "Sacrificial Participant" bridge, but broadly speaking his performance is easily the strongest aspect of the band. 

Between you sending this and Sacul sending Converge and The Black Queen, I suppose I'm going to have to revisit a bunch of albums from both Converge and Dillinger Escape Plan after the roulette.  I'm expecting much of their music to be too ugly and frantic and not tuneful enough for me, but scattered among their albums I may find some other more melodic and captivating tracks that might appeal to me more, such as "Sacrificial Participant" or "Jane Doe" or "Unretrofied". 

It's a shame they had to come out in such a high-scoring round, because this isn't really a bad score at all despite the lower ranking, there are just too many stronger submissions this time. 

Score:  7.5/10

---

Nachtmerrie - MESTIS - "Sedosa", "Gentle Giant", "Semila", "El Mestizo", "Pura Vida"

Early Impression - "Lots of cool ideas here, but it seems like it's missing something melodically."

Final Summary:

I'm glad to gain a deeper appreciation for the playing of Javier Reyes, but while chock-full of intriguing song ideas, they still feel too much like skeletal demos that need a stronger melody to really take off as songs. 

Details:

And here we have another entry that in more normal rounds wouldn't rank this low.  So I've always suspected that Javier Reyes was a much more important part of Animals As Leaders than he is generally given credit for, and this batch of songs certainly lends credence to that notion.  He is clearly a quite skilled player, and there are a lot of snippets here that would be good building blocks for a song.  But a good chunk of it feels a bit incomplete to me.  This is kind of back somewhat to earlier artists you sent like Jo Quail and Amenra, who have cool sounds, but seem more like idea generation sessions that need an extra element to really make them stand out.  I like a fair amount of djent-derived or adjacent music, but the artists that really rise above almost always have stronger melodic components to elevate the songs above just collections of cool riffs, like Plini, Intervals, David Maxim Micic and such. 

This is kind of a peek behind the curtain of AAL to see that their music has more of Javier's musical stamp than most people (including myself) realize, but I think is better as a visual or live experience to see the noteworthy things that he is playing than as a pure listening experience.  I have the same challenge with Animals As Leaders themselves, for that matter.  While I quite like them, it's more enjoyable to watch the playthroughs that Tosin and Matt have up generally than it is to put their albums on.  Even then, Tosin often adds a bit more of a melodic component than I hear with what Javier does with MESTIS. 

"Sedosa" is my favorite tune of this batch.  It has the most engaging vibe, and is the closest to having a more prominent melody.  The others are loaded with a lot of inventive riffs and chord work (some particularly great jazzier chords in various spots), with a lot of percussive flair that in the context of AAL most people probably just assumed was Tosin, and some cool basslines.  But as tasty as much of it is, it's still evidence of why rhythm guitarists, while I would agree are often undervalued, still tend not to make it as high up on my favorite guitarist lists - my ear is just too drawn to more prominent melodies.  Even songs like "Pura Vida" that have some more melodic moments just don't make them quite arresting enough.

The other thing is that while I'm thrilled to hear that Matt Garstka was involved in the drum programming, it's disappointing that they remained programmed rather than being played.  I'm not sure it really directly affected the score per se, but even in more precise, complex and technical music, I still think it's important for that human element to come into play.  As good as drum programs have gotten over time, they're still not and probably never will be a complete substitute for the more tactile nuances that come with actually playing the songs. 

Score:  7.5/10

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
SoundscapeMN - The Dear Hunter - "Mandala", "A Night On the Town", "Waves"

Early Impression - "I didn't get the hype about them when they came out, and I still don't really get it now, but this does improve my opinion of them a decent amount."

Final Summary:

This band and style remain a bit of an enigma for me, but the vocals don't bother me as much as I was concerned they could, there is an appealing variety of instrumentation, and "Waves" is an especially notable song. 

Details:

When you sent them, I was initially quite worried.  My experiences with them have been limited to the first couple albums, which I heard when there was a lot of buzz about their release in the first few years.  I'm pretty sure I heard but didn't even rate Act II, but Act I has my default RYM "I don't outright dislike this but I'm quite underwhelmed with it" score.  I think I mentioned earlier this year that I like the vocal arrangement of "Battesimo del fuoco" in spite of myself and listen to it occasionally. 

But Casey's vocal timbre there and on what I recalled of the rest of the album and possibly the next was too much in the tradition of post-hardcore-derived singing that often rubs me the wrong way, which makes sense given he came from The Receiving End of Sirens.  And Prog Archives says "falling somewhere between The Mars Volta and Coheed and Cambria, The Dear Hunter may appeal to some fans of either band".  Given my lukewarm scores for those two in earlier rounds, this could have been a disaster. 

Well, I'm relieved to report that Casey's vocals have gotten more palatable over the years.  I still don't particularly love them, but they're much less off-putting on these tracks than I somewhat dreaded they could be.  "Mandala" from '11 still has a bit of a nasal edge to it, but the '15 tracks soften it a tad more. 

I've been having a bit of a more complicated relationship with rock opera-related music this year.  I touched on this in my writeup for Alice Cooper that TAC sent a few rounds ago since one his songs there has those elements, but historically I haven't really considered myself a fan of rock operas despite loving Ayreon and a few other adjacent artists.  I can't entirely put my finger on what it is, since I do tend to like the idea of drama in music as a musical tool.  Dirt Poor Robins has been challenging my feelings about the approach, but I'm still not totally onboard with it, and they remain one of a number of outliers in my taste. 

So "A Night On the Town" definitely leans into that a bit more.  I do appreciate the variety of songwriting and instrumentation (particularly the oboe towards the end), which gives a lot of layers to it.  It's just that much of it doesn't fully connect with me, and I'm not entirely sure why.  6:02 is probably the most unusual part of it, the augmented piano arpeggio and slight detuning with the strings gives it this hazy feel - it seems suited for a sci-fi reveal scene in an A24 film. 

"Mandala" has more dream-like ambient and electronic flourishes, which I enjoy texturally, but the songwriting doesn't have quite the impact I wish it had.  "Waves" on the other hand, actually clicks.  That is easily the strongest song here.  The melodies feel more compelling, as do the string arrangements and various other instrumental orchestrations.  Idiosyncratic pseudo-intangibles like the key help a bit as well. 

Score:  7.75/10

---

HOF - Stefano Panunzi - "You and I", "I'm Feeling So Blue", "Those Words (Words Are All We Have)", "The Sea Woman"

Early Impression - "What if the weather channel music was way cooler?"

Final Summary:

There are a lot of rich instrumental textures here, and while a couple of the songs are a bit plain melodically, "I'm Feeling So Blue" is quite a vibrant highlight. 

Details:

One of the things I'm liking about the 20-minute length for these rounds is that the sheer volume of music relative to the average single-song roulette gives a greater chance that at least one particular song will resonate with me.  There are a number of these, including two in a row now, that would have scored somewhat less were it not for one exceptional song.  But it's probably quite difficult to predict which one they will be ahead of time. 

In this case, it's "I'm Feeling So Blue".  That cut is just outstanding.  It has some of the most piquant and enthralling synthetic textures of the whole roulette.  That layered patch at 0:19 with the ethereal synth lead and percussive bell timbre is such a dazzling sound.  There are also some splendid bass lines, and the flugelhorn and piano flourishes are scintillating additions.  The mellower timbre of the flugelhorn makes it a much better solo instrument than the trumpet in my experience.  But it is kind of a kitchen sink song, since I didn't realize I needed some rock guitar chording towards the end, but hey, why not?  Throw that in too! 

The other selections are pleasant enough, but aren't nearly as notable.  "The Sea Woman" literally does feel like weather channel music, just more enjoyable with some less obvious chords and more radiant synth patches, particularly the percussive one at 2:42.  Panunzi's synthesizer programming is certainly one of the strongest elements in general, even more so on the other two songs as well.  "You and I" is a bit sleepier though.  The crooning vocal style is kind of refreshing, and not too dissimilar from The Blue Nile that you sent last round, actually.  With a song with a more compelling melody it would probably be more effective. 

"These Words (Words Are All We Have)" has a more generic vocal style, but the melodies are a bit more memorable, and it has probably the most engrossing drum and percussion arrangements (I love the little triplet tom fills such as at 3:11).  I was surprised to learn that the bass on that track is an acoustic double bass, since some of the fills sounded more like a fretless electric bass at first, but after researching it and listening back it makes more sense now.  The guitar chording at 1:50 is a delightful subtle use of whammy bar shimmer.  The synth lead and chromatic percussion section is nice too.  Certainly the second best song of this bunch. 

It looks like Panunzi has other work with Gavin Harrison, Pat Mastelotto, Richard Barbieri, and other prog figures to explore as well. 

Score:  7.75/10

---

TAC - Moonshade - "The Antagonist", "Everlasting Horizons", "A Dreamless Slumber"

Early Impression - "My preferences in this style probably seem arbitrary from the outside, and though this doesn't quite hit the bullseye, it's still pretty good."

Final Summary:

While this isn't quite my preferred variation of melodeath, it has a variety of elements that work very well. 

Details:

Despite being from Portugal (kind of like Be'Lakor being Australian), this feels very much in the Finnish style of more straightforward melodeath, a la Mors Principium Est (particularly the guitar tones and keyboard orchestrations) or Insomnium (the instrumental and melodic stylings), with maybe a hint of melodic metalcore in spots.  And as such, it's a variety of it that I enjoy, though it doesn't quite reach the heights of my top favorites, who often come from or congregate a bit more around the Swedish flavor of this sound. 

But otherwise, all the components are here.  There is a solid variety of vocals, though the cleans are a bit more sparse and generally a bit more in the background when they're present.  I may have to look into guest Sofia Beco's band, in which she also apparently is the violinist.  The guitars here are quite good, particularly the solo in "Everlasting Horizons", with some more unusual Marty Friedman-style bends.  The acoustic guitar fingerpicking with piano and the more melodic lead at the end of "A Dreamless Slumber" is a nice touch as well.  Although the drumming doesn't particularly stand out otherwise, I love the usage of higher-pitched toms in the fills. 

This is a challenging entry to pick the best song in.  "The Antagonist" has the best vocals, "Everlasting Horizons" has the most charming guitar melodies and soloing, while "A Dreamless Slumber" has that acoustic outro. 

Score:  8/10

---

soupytwist - Ghost - "Square Hammer", "Year Zero", "Twenties", "Witch Image", "Life Eternal"

Early Impression - "Good thing I'm judging this entry, not the participants or various slices of music fandom."

Final Summary:

Sometimes I avoid overly popular and/or gimmicky-seeming artists for arbitrary reasons, but this one turns out to be a lot of fun - one of my kinds of fun anyway. 

Details:

It may just be that I've been a bit more plugged into the metal community, but I'm surprised that you didn't appear to be aware that Ghost seems to be a magnet for divergent opinions.  Obviously they have an enormous fanbase for a metal-adjacent band, but that popularity has generated an outsized number of people who seem to go out of their way to trash them (heck, we seem to have a couple in this roulette, but I've heard many others elsewhere).  It might be more of a US issue, because they appeared to encounter a lot more resistance here, particularly in the first half-decade of their existence.  But the occult themes seem to repel a lot of mainstream music fans, while the increasingly poppier elements over time tend to rile up the more hardcore metal fans and some music aficionados.  And I'm sure a solid chunk find them to be image over substance. 

But for me?  I've listened to a few albums here and there and never really got the big deal either way.  But after digging into them a decent amount this round, they seem pretty cool and fun, so they're definitely a few notches on the positive side of the ledger.  They're often dismissed as "Scooby Doo chase music", but honestly that type of spooky merriment is more my style than many others.  I enjoy a lot of horror films and Type O Negative is one of my favorite bands, so I don't mind a bit of campiness of this stripe. 

I feel obligated to point out they aren't even the first Swedish hard rock band called "Ghost".  One of Dan Swanö's first bands he started as a child had that name, though obviously they didn't really take off like this one did.  But there does seem to be something about Sweden, because I could see a lot of people saying they're just modern KISS, but I find the more modern production a smoother listen, and the melodies more appealing.  All of the little production details add up as well, with organ, bell, and other ornamentations, the Latin-esque chants like in "Year Zero", the flanged vocals at 2:32 in "Square Hammer", the orchestral horns opening "Twenties", the subtle possible nod to Psycho with the dissonant stab on the left in the opening of "Witch Image", etc. 

It's really kind of hilarious how inoffensive Tobias' voice is given their image and lyrics and his background in death metal bands like Repugnant, but I guess that's just part of the juxtaposition that makes them more riveting.  Apparently he originally asked some other famous Swedish vocalists to front the band instead of himself, including Messiah Marcolin.  That would have made for quite a different experience.  But Tobias makes the most of his fairly plain voice with a lot of clever vocal arrangements and harmonizations, and the live versions of some of these songs with the ghoulettes definitely adds a lot of flair as well.  I don't know if TAC will agree, but Tobias sounds a bit like Alice Cooper in the verses of "Twenties".  This might ruin their commercial appeal, but it would be interesting to see a version of the band with a more powerful lead vocalist and a bit beefier guitar tone. 

"Twenties" is probably the most potent song here.  It has a head-scratchingly low rating of 2.15 at Rate Your Music, but I just don't agree at all.  People point to the silliness of the lyrics, but as far as I can tell most of their lyrics are fairly tongue-in-cheek, so I don't get the commotion.  But musically it has a soca beat, which is so uncommon to find in metal (Omega Lithium's "Stigmata"'s chorus is probably my favorite example) and gives it quite a unique rhythmic verve.  And that main riff that goes with it is unusually heavy at least for what I've heard of them so far, with the double bass flourish, the propulsiveness of it and that muted descending chromatic triplet slowdown at 0:37.  And there's also a killer solo from Fredrik Åkesson, who now that I know plays most if not all of the guitar parts on their latest album, is going to make me want to revisit it for sure.  You could even consider that a subtle bit of cheating (of the kind I absolutely encourage), though I don't even know whether you were aware of his presence there or not. 

My favorite song of this batch though might be "Witch Image", which has the most memorable chorus.  The wet guitar and harpsichord in the verse, the sustained guitar melodies and synth countermelodies, a nice harmonized melodic guitar solo (there are a number of others of those elsewhere as well), the drum fill at 2:28, etc.  There are some savory chord changes and melodies in "Life Eternal" too. 

It's amusing that Imperial Triumphant is an active band in lonestar's current round, who also have a mask gimmick, but sound much more like the average person would think Ghost would sound just looking at them. 

Score:  8.25/10

---

Vmadera00 - The Mask of the Phantasm - "Red/Blue/Black/White", "Exit Wounds", "Like a Wraith..."

Early Impression - "Not only does this have more memorable vocals, it also has cool trippy guitars and crazy drumming."

Final Summary:

I don't know if this qualifies as either a supergroup or a side project, but I'm glad I've had a chance to hear them, as they have some rather entrancing musical qualities. 

Details:

It's curious that people thought this would be too post-hardcore for me.  Obviously I can see the connection, having two former Mars Volta members, but this avoids the pitfalls of that style.  It has more of an alt-prog feel to me.  The vocals are much better, stronger without being whiny, or having the harsher shouting style which is riskier.  They sometimes veer a smidge excessively into cursive singing in the softer portions at times, but it's not a huge deal. 

The guitar riffs feel much more defined and textural, without the excessive jitteriness that TMV and The Fall of Troy had.  It's a bit more restrained style that's more atmospheric, particularly with the more sparkling astral sounds of "Exit Wounds".  That's probably my favorite song of this set. 

When TMV originally showed up earlier in the roulette I wondered if one of the selections might turn out to be from the era that Thomas Pridgeon was in the band, since I've always kind of been spellbound with his playing from the various clips I've watched over the years.  They turned out not to be, but he's all over these tracks, which is a joy.  There is some excellent bass work throughout as well.  In addition, the keyboards add to the vibe, with some cool organ playing and various moodier patches, and a serendipitous solo at the end of "Red/Blue/Black/White". 

The main missed opportunity is having a woodwind player, but not incorporating them quite enough.  You get a bit towards the end of "Exit Wounds" with some saxophone, but otherwise they're mostly either absent or more in the background, possibly doing some doubling in various spots, most noticeably the thickening in the back portion of "Like a Wraith...". 

---

Tomislav95 - Seventh Wonder - "Unbreakable" "Alley Cat", "The Red River"

Early Impression - "This is definitely a comfortable sound, but will it stand out?"

Final Summary:

The answer is yes, "The Red River" is a fantastic song especially, and Karevik's vocals have really been starting to stand out. 

Details:

For awhile I didn't get the buzz about Tommy Karevik.  I listened to a few Seventh Wonder songs, gave cursory listens to a bit of later Kamelot, and he was a prominent part of the last few Ayreon albums, which I considered some of the weaker ones.  Well, I am glad that I am in need of revising my opinion about him. 

Instrumentally, they are a fairly standard-sounding prog metal band.  They have solid guitar playing, synthesizer solos, some unison runs between various instruments, and even some excellent bass solos.  But Karevik's vocals are really starting to grow on me. 

The first two tunes are competent if unremarkable for the style, but I've really been taking to "The Red River", which has a quite infectious chorus in particular.  I love how it modulates up a step for the final chorus, but then modulates back down to the original key for the ending.  That's an arrangement trick I don't hear often enough.  And then the final riff repeats twice, starting with the original broken up kick pattern, and then brings in the steady double bass for the finale.  It initially brings in the snare on every beat, but then drops back to the normal 2 & 4 pattern.  Personally I might have flipped that last bit in the arrangement, but the rest is cool enough to overcome it. 

But what really elevates it is not only that song, but Karevik's voice, which I'm really starting to see the appeal of now.  I'm probably going to need to revisit the later Ayreon and Kamelot albums now, since my fandom of both (more so Ayreon) is based much more on the earlier ones with different vocalists. 

« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 02:08:28 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Lethean - Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik - "Skuggsjá", "Ni Døtre av Hav", "Ni Mødre av Sol"

Early Impression - "Now here is some relative minimalism that is mostly done right."

Final Summary:

These submissions continue to club me over the head with the notion that I need to pay more attention to the rich musical history of Norwegian metal-adjacent artists. 

Details:

So a couple rounds ago I talked about how it's clear I've been neglecting all of these Norwegian artists in favor of other European countries, particularly Swedish ones (and also often Dutch ones).  I still think Sweden has the highest hit rate (and I've just added several others in this round with Ghost, Seventh Wonder (I'm not sure I even knew they were Swedish), and Soen), but this continues to prove that there are even more layers to the onion I've been undervaluing.  Ivar was represented a couple rounds ago with Enslaved, but I'm less familiar with Einar's work.  I've been curious about Wardruna because some other artists I like have mentioned them as favorites or influences (Chelsea Wolfe in particular), but I haven't really taken the dive yet.  So I imagine this will serve as a launching point to explore them as well later on. 

I heard the songs from them that you submitted in 425's roulette last year, though it's been a while at this point and I didn't recall a lot about them (and I think they might have been different songs anyway).  So this is quite a nice collaboration, which executes more stripped-back ideas better than most, though still feeling appropriately epic in certain spots.  All three songs are majestic, but "Skuggsjá" is easily my favorite.  Throughout the pieces there are fantastic vocal harmonies, sometimes in more choral form, ravishing violin work, and ensorcelling unusual instrumentation, which gives it a rather singular flavor that you don't find in a lot of other music. 

---

senecadawg2 - Leonard Cohen - "Avalanche", "You Want It Darker", "Famous Blue Raincoat", "Steer Your Way"

Early Impression - "Well this is definitely the biggest surprise of the round."

Final Summary:

This certainly blew away any expectations I had, with two particularly great songs in "Avalanche" and "You Want It Darker", delivered in a vocal type that works astonishingly well. 

Details:

So I really had no idea what to expect going into this.  I've heard his name many times over the years, but never consciously listened to him.  Like Bob Dylan, I knew that he was a renowned songwriter, and I've heard dozens of versions of "Hallelujah", plus various covers of other songs of his (Madeleine Peyroux's Billie Holiday-esque take on "Dance Me To the End of Love" probably being my favorite).  But while I think I'd heard a few burblings here and there, I never knew quite what to expect from his own music, hoping for the best but fearing for the worst based on last round. 

Fortunately, in a round full of varying degrees of serendipity, this easily exceeded my expectations by the most.  My impression for Ivar and Einar could have easily worked for Leonard as well.  As I periodically note, I often struggle with minimalism in music, but it's not so much of an issue here.  I don't know if you caught this or not, but Crow's guest rankdown wound up giving a sneak peak at some idea of my feeling about "Famous Blue Raincoat".  Although it was probably misleading, as that is probably my least favorite of these.  It's a good song for sure, but the others are even better. 

"Avalanche" is probably my favorite, it's quite haunting and actually a bit similar to a gloomier version of Joan Baez' "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You", which scored quite well in round 5.  It achieves a lot of mood and drama without having to do a whole lot, which can be quite a challenge to achieve for me.  "Steer Your Way" has a lot of lovely violin work throughout. 

It was "You Want It Darker" that really triggered an epiphany for me, which is how similar to Tom Waits Leonard is.  He has a less gritty and bluesy voice than Tom, but it's a very unique bass one of the type that there don't seem to be enough of, Peter Steele's having a very similar effect on me in a rather different genre.  Leonard's is not particularly polished and a bit shaky at times, but this is the type of character voice that really works for me.  The way he says "hineni, hineni" in particular is so powerful on "You Want It Darker", those are notes that few vocalists on the planet can hit with authority, but he can.  The instrumental bass line and light choral backing help augment it as well. 

---

Stadler - Rival Sons - "All Over the Road", "Pressure and Time", "Feral Roots", "Darkside"

Early Impression - "I often find this style enjoyable but not exciting, but this one has a little somethin' extra to it."

Final Summary:

Bands playing in much older styles tend to be a mixed bag, but this one manages to bring the past into the present in a fresh way with a lot of panache. 

Details:

I'm not quite sure when this retro rock/metal scene really began - I imagine there are many precursors and isolated examples, but it definitely seems to have been in full-swing somewhere around a decade ago.  I've mostly not paid much attention to it, though I check out some of the artists on occasion and a few have been big hits for me (Wytch Hazel probably chief among them).  I know Greta Van Fleet received a lot of attention for sounding quite a lot like Led Zeppelin, and while I've only heard a limited amount from GVF, it seems that Rival Sons is doing a better job of it.  I didn't hear RS specifically attached to LZ so much as just being a modern throwback band, but there are certainly some undeniable similarities in moments (particularly on the higher, more intense vocals such as in "Time and Pressure", and maybe a bit of Bono on occasion as well), but they add some of their own spices as well. 

"All Over the Road" started a bit inauspiciously for me, as while it's a decent enough tune I suppose, it feels like more of a standard filler energetic tune, and is the weakest of the group.  Fortunately, the other three tracks resonate with me much more.  There's some great acoustic playing and slide guitar work throughout.  I was initially underwhelmed with some of the fuzzier, woolier tones, as I'm pickier about that effect in general, but they've grown on me a tad here.  The drumming reminds me a bit of Jason Bonham's in Black Country Communion.  "Feral Roots" is kind of reminiscent of Aerosmith's "Dream On".  "Darkside" is a rather epic tune that sneaks up on you, and it's difficult to decide which of the two I like more. 

The main thing they could use is a bit more keyboard presence, I could especially see a bit of Hammond organ boosting them even more in some spots.  There's a bit of a Leslie rotary effect (and sometimes tremolo) on the guitars in "Darkside", but that's such a different sound, as cool as it is.  There is also a bit of piano with glissandos on "All Over", but the others could perhaps benefit from a touch as well, and maybe some Rhodes or Wurlitzer.  Maybe they employ on other albums/songs. 

---

Puppies_On_Acid - Shylmagoghnar - "Transience", "As All Must Come To Pass"

Early Impression - "This might be the best thing you've sent yet."

Final Summary:

A more powerful and colorful sound than I expected, with indelible melodies and songcraft - this is definitely a hit. 

Details:

So my initial GIFpression, based on some superficial sonic elements and your tendency to send a lot of black metal in roulettes, is that this is an upgrade over most bog standard atmospheric black metal bands, that happens to hit more of my aural preferences.  But the more I listen and think about it, what I'm liking is their adjacency to a lot of melodic death bands, and that really, they're kind of their own thing, sitting somewhere between those, melodic black metal, and a veneer of symphonic black metal in spots as well. 

Their basic sound is quite pleasing, with a heavier, bassier approach than a lot of black metal, while still retaining a lot of ambiance.  The guitar tones on their own might be a tad thin, but paired with the more prominent bass in the mix it works.  And then even more importantly, they seem to be able to generate an endless array of engaging melodies.  They even merge them with more overt independent bass lines and runs in various passages. 

I know I'd heard their name before, but don't think I'd ever gotten around to checking them out.  I'm kind of surprised they're from the Netherlands with this sound, but leave it to Dutch bands to craft some of the most memorable melodies - it's been a theme in my own listening, and has continued with a fair number of submissions in this roulette, and we're about to have another...

Score:  8.5/10

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Buddyhunter1 - Guilt Machine - "Twisted Coil", "Leland Street"

Early Impression - "Well, this is better than I remember.  Why didn't I already know this?  Oops."

Final Summary:

I have my reasons that I get into a bit below, but I should be smacking myself on the wrist for not listening to this more earlier, it has a fair amount of what I already love about Ayreon in a slightly different package. 

Details:

On a prog forum it's quite a challenge to clear the often high bar for superfandom of more popular artists.  I think of myself as a decently-versed Ayreon fan, but I do get the feeling there are even bigger fans of them here.  But this is one of Arjen's projects that I just never quite got into.  I'm not entirely sure how much was that the vibe is a bit more subdued here, more along the lines of his The Universal Migrator Part 1: The Dream Sequencer album.  It's probably more that the biggest draw for me in his other work is hearing all of the different vocalists bouncing off of each other.  It has led to countless discoveries in an ever-expanding prog web.  So I believe my reaction at the time this came out was disinterest in the idea of just listening to a single vocalist for a whole album - I already had hundreds, maybe thousands of other bands to listen to that do that.  I'm sure I gave it a cursory listen, but it didn't stick with me at the time. 

But what this entry is making me realize is that there actually is a fair amount of energy and heaviness to these songs, much more than I recalled, even if it does lean more into Arjen's Pink Floyd influences than his normal albums, much less Star One.  And I do love the way he synthesizes older style prog sounds with more relatively modern flavorings, even separate from whatever vocalists he has deliver his material.  Jasper is still far from my favorite vocalist Arjen has worked with, the standards are just too astronomically high, but he is a better and more effective vocalist as a vessel for the project than I had realized.  He actually reminds me a bit of Ashe O'Hara. 

One mistake though, possibly not.  I own the Electric Castle Live and Other Tales DVD, so I've seen that rendition of "Twisted Coil", but not being familiar with this album, I know I skipped it on most successive watches.  First, I probably need to do that less, since I'm clearly missing out on cool songs.  But it has Damian Wilson covering the vocals on this song.  Yeah, Jasper is not on Damian's level.  If Damian had sung this whole album it would probably make this get closer to the 9 you were hoping for (except that it probably would have already been hard-banned), but it's getting close enough even with Jasper. 

This submission is also making me want to reevaluate Chris Maitland's drumming.  My recollection is that when Gavin Harrison took over for him in Porcupine Tree on In Absentia, the level of the drumming went up drastically.  Now I don't know if that's a false memory or not.  I never listened to the early PT albums nearly as much as later ones, so perhaps the difference is not so stark, he improved over the next decade after leaving, or perhaps Arjen gets better performances out of him than Steven Wilson did, or even perhaps the material is more suited for him.  Regardless, as much as I love Ed Warby's playing on other Ayreon albums, I'm ok with hearing Chris on this album instead, it's quite scrumptious for a different take on the material, with some exquisitely rapturous sounds, especially on the ride and China cymbals. 

Most of the typical Arjen-isms I like are quite present here, delightful synthesizer timbres, organ work, textural guitar lines, a few choice heavier riffs, Ben Mathot's violin work, the guitar/violin octave melodies and so forth.  If I didn't know that Lori Linstruth was playing the solos on this album I'm not sure I would have realized the difference.  Her technique seems a bit more advanced than Arjen's, but they both apparently have a heavy Steve Vai influence, and he's producing the tones the way he would his own, such that it fits in the same as Arjen's own playing would, which is perfectly fine. 

And for another intra-round nugget, they even cover Leonard Cohen's "The Stranger".  I'll have to pay more attention to that track later. 

Score:  8.5/10

---

ariich - Beyond the Bridge - "The Primal Demand", "Doorway To Salvation", "The Difference Is Human"

Early Impression - "This seems like such low-hanging fruit I'm surprised it took this long for someone to pluck it."

Final Summary:

Here we have another of those bands that is as good as I hoped they would be, with a sublime mixture of elements. 

Details:

So this is one of those bands that I'm not sure I'd heard much about before rejoining DTF, but since then I seem to see them name-dropped all the time in roulettes and possibly other threads.  But even despite having them on my "I'm curious about this artist" list a few rounds ago, no one has sent them yet, and as far as I remember I've never even heard a song of theirs, though the descriptions I'd caught piqued my interest.  So the free points go to you and not most of the other participants. 

I also find the synchronicity we're having right now rather hilarious, both having sent Hiromi Uehara in lonestar's current round, and me having sent one of Magali Luyten's former bands to Jamesman last round (dunno if you'd already picked this band before then), given that Maggy did some live shows with Beyond the Bridge in '14.  I really wish there was a professionally recorded version of this, but the Youtube cellphone footage will have to do, I suppose.  Shame they didn't seem to release anything further either, oh well. 

The other names aren't really familiar, but I know I've heard Herbie in a variety of contexts - Firewind, Lighbringer of Sweden and a few others.  But this really just hits all the right notes.  Alluring prog metal with great contrasting dual lead and harmonizing vocals, some thrashier melodeath-esque influences, great instrumental work all-around, lots of earworms (I think 6:44 in "The Difference Is Human" is my favorite) - it even hits some of my finicky key preferences in a lot of spots - there's way too much to like for this not to score well.  You don't need to reinvent the wheel most of the time, just execute an existing style superbly.  The epicness of "The Difference Is Human" is delectable, but the ferocious energy of sequences of "Doorway To Salvation" slightly edges it out for my favorite track of these. 

Score:  8.75/10

---

Evermind - Soen - "Antagonist", "Jinn", "Lotus"

Early Impression - "There's no good reason I don't already know this band well enough to ban them, but I don't, so you're probably grabbing the free points on the table that no one else noticed."

Final Summary:

This meets at a perfect intersection of a lot of my musical interests, bringing my attention to a band I've been neglecting to my detriment. 

Details:

The former drummer of Opeth, playing in a Tool-ish style, with a vocalist who just guested on the latest Katatonia album.  Yeah, I think I've screwed up by having this band still up for grabs, but you're benefitting from it by noticing what no one else did.  Not to say that boiling down liking an artist to individual elements like that always works, but sometimes it just does.  In my feeble defense, I have heard a few of their albums, though only cursory listens, and I think the comparison idea backfired at the time.  If I evaluate each of those individual elements they don't quite live up to their origins or previous work, and I think I held that against them.  "Wow, a newer band on the first play doesn't quite measure up to some all-time favorites" - what a surprise.  But they don't have to rise to all those individual levels in comparison to still be a fabulous band in their own right. 

Anyway, this truly excels on most dimensions.  They really do somehow manage to blend stylistic elements of both Opeth and Tool together in a way that I can understand more casual listeners might just view as a pastiche, but the deeper you listen the more you realize that they're doing what every other great band does, which is to amalgamate those influences (and others) into their own unique concoction.  I listened to the original album versions, and it's remarkable how different they are, while clearly retaining the same song DNA.  The reimaginings here are marvelous, with the contrasting backing vocalists and the chamber string section. 

I love that smaller-scale symphonic influence - everyone seems to go gaga over the 120-piece orchestra, 100-member choir productions or even the bands that try to emulate it on a single keyboard workstation, and occasionally it works, but sometimes it's overkill and the original band and songs get lost in the process - this puts them on more equal and complimentary ground. 

My favorite song here is "Antagonist", what a beautiful and wonderous rendition.  The punch of the alt-prog sound, the elegance of classical influences, and the soulfulness of the bluesier low-gain guitar leads all meeting in perfect harmony.  And Joel has a fabulous voice - listening to Katatonia's "Impermanence" with him guesting on it is going to feel like a more fresh experience again.  "Jinn" has such a radiant section with the Chancellor-esque bassline over the hand percussion at 1:43.  "Lotus" has an especially sizzlingly great solo with fantastic phrasing and tasty whammy dips. 

This highlights a different facet of Soen than I've heard before, though like with Tomi sending Paramore a couple rounds ago, I think I'm going to wind up liking all of their various sides for different reasons.  I love when bands can play heavier tunes well, can chill back with calmer ones equally effectively, or like on this album, manage to reach a middle ground between them that is just as resplendent. 

Another inter-round nugget - Martin Lopez wearing an Alice Cooper shirt. 

Score:  8.75/10

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Round 13 Scores:

ariich - Beyond the Bridge  ..............................................  8.75
Evermind - Soen  ..........................................................  8.75
Buddyhunter1 - Guilt Machine  .......................................  8.5
Puppies_On_Acid - Shylmagoghnar  ...............................  8.5
Lethean - Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik  ..........................  8.25
senecadawg2 - Leonard Cohen  ....................................  8.25
soupytwist - Ghost  ....................................................  8.25
Stadler - Rival Sons  ..................................................  8.25
Tomislav95 - Seventh Wonder  ...................................  8.25
Vmadera00 - The Mask of the Phantasm  ....................  8.25
TAC - Moonshade  ..................................................  8
HOF - Stefano Panunzi  ..........................................  7.75
SoundscapeMN - The Dear Hunter  .........................  7.75
Nachtmerrie - MESTIS  ........................................  7.5
twosuitsluke - Better Lovers  ...............................  7.5
Crow - Victory Over the Sun  .............................  6.75
Sacul - Fishmans  ...........................................  6.5
Elite - ?  .......................................................  ?

---

Round 13 Top 14 Songs:

1:  Seventh Wonder - "The Red River"
2:  Soen - "Antagonist"
3:  Beyond the Bridge - "Doorway To Salvation"
4:  Better Lovers - "Sacrificial Participant"
5:  Stefano Panunzi - "I'm Feeling So Blue"
6:  Rival Sons - "Feral Roots"/"Darkside"
7:  Mask of the Phantasm - "Exit Wounds"
8:  Shylmagoghnar - "Transience"/"As All Must Come To Pass"
9:  Guilt Machine - "Twisted Coil"/"Leland Street"
10:  Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik - "Skuggsjá"
11:  Leonard Cohen - "Avalanche"
12:  The Dear Hunter - "Waves"
13:  MESTIS - "Sedosa"
14:  Ghost - "Witch Image"

---

Current Cumulative Standings (after 13 rounds):

Nachtmerrie  -------------------------  106.75
SoundscapeMN  -----------------------  106.25
ariich  -----------------------------------  105.5
Evermind  --------------------------------  105.5
TAC  ---------------------------------------  105.5
Lethean  ------------------------------------  103.5
HOF  -----------------------------------------  103
soupytwist  -----------------------------------  103
Buddyhunter1  --------------------------------  100.5
Vmadera00  ------------------------------------  98.25
Stadler  ------------------------------------------  98
Puppies_On_Acid  ------------------------------  97.5
senecadawg2  ---------------------------------  97.25
Tomislav95  ----------------------------------  97.25
twosuitsluke  -------------------------------  95.75
Sacul  --------------------------------------  95.5
Crow  -------------------------------------  93.25
Elite  -------------------------------------  88.5 + ?
romdrums  -----------------------------  14.25 (had to drop out after the second round)

---

Round Score Breakdown:

ariich:  7.75 + 7.5 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 8 + 8 + 9 + 7.75 + 8.75 + 7.75 + 8.25 + 8.25 + 8.75 = 105.5

Buddyhunter1:  7.5 + 6.5 + 7.75 + 7 + 8 + 7 + 7 + 7.75 + 7.75 + 8.75 + 8.75 + 8 + 8.5 = 100.5

Crow:  6 + 6.75 + 7 + 7.5 + 7 + 5 + 7 + 9.25 + 7.75 + 7 + 8.5 + 7.75 + 6.75 = 93.25

Elite:  6.5 + 7.5 + 6.75 + 8.5 + 7.25 + 6.75 + 8 + 7 + 7.25 + 8.25 + 6.75 + 8 + ? = 88.5 + ?

Evermind:  7.75 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 7.75 + 8.75 + 8.25 + 8 + 8.5 + 8 + 9 + 7.75 + 7.25 + 8.75 = 105.5

HOF:  9 + 9 + 6.5 + 7.25 + 8.5 + 7 + 8.25 + 7.25 + 8 + 9 + 8.75 + 6.75 + 7.75 = 103

Lethean:  7.75 + 8.25 + 7.5 + 7 + 8.25 + 8.25 + 8.25 + 7.25 + 8 + 8.75 + 8 + 8 + 8.25 = 103.5

Nachtmerrie:  8.25 + 9 + 6.75 + 9 + 7.75 + 8 + 8 + 8.75 + 8.25 + 9.25 + 8 + 8.25 + 7.5 = 106.75

Puppies_On_Acid:  8 + 7 + 6.75 + 6.75 + 8 + 7.75 + 7 + 7.5 + 8 + 6.75 + 8 + 7.5 + 8.5 = 97.5

romdrums:  7.25 + 7 + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x = 14.25

Sacul:  7.25 + 8.75 + 6 + 7.75 + 7.25 + 6.75 + 8.25 + 9 + 7 + 4.75 + 8 + 8.25 + 6.5 = 95.5

senecadawg2:  8 + 7 + 8.5 + 6.75 + 8.25 + 8 + 8 + 7.25 + 7.5 + 6.75 + 7.25 + 5.75 + 8.25 = 97.25

SoundscapeMN:  8 + 8.75 + 8.75 + 8.5 + 8.75 + 7 + 8 + 8 + 8.75 + 8 + 8.75 + 7.25 + 7.75 = 106.25

soupytwist:  6.5 + 6.75 + 9 + 8.75 + 8 + 8.25 + 8.25 + 7.75 + 8.75 + 8 + 7.5 + 7.25 + 8.25 = 103

Stadler:  8.5 + 7.5 + 7 + 7 + 8.75 + 7.5 + 6.75 + 6.75 + 7.5 + 7.75 + 7.25 + 7.5 + 8.25 = 98

TAC:  8.25 + 8.25 + 8.75 + 7.5 + 7.25 + 7.5 + 9 + 8.5 + 9 + 7.25 + 8 + 8.25 + 8 = 105.5

Tomislav95:  7 + 8.25 + 7.25 + 7 + 7.5 + 7.5 + 8 + 7 + 7 + 6.25 + 8.75 + 7.5 + 8.25 = 97.25

twosuitsluke:  7.5 + 8.25 + 5.5 + 7.5 + 8.25 + 7 + 7.75 + 7 + 7.25 + 7 + 6.75 + 8.5 + 7.5 = 95.75

Vmadera00:  7.25 + 7.75 + 8 + 6.75 + 7 + 7.75 + 7.25 + 8.75 + 7 + 6.75 + 8 + 7.75 + 8.25 = 98.25

---

*Wow, the race has really tightened now.  I don't know if this is just more luck, or the savvy veteran roulette skills of Evermind and ariich in knowing how to lay low towards the end, then swoop in for the kill with overlooked gems to make the placements a photo finish.  The title is still up for grabs, and a really strong EP could potentially swing the top contenders' fates here.  I almost feel like a Hollywood script writer has wrested control of my roulette from me. 

***I will be out of town for a chunk of the next couple weeks, so the final round will start a bit slowly, I might be a bit longer on responding about EPs, and my unpredictable availability means I might have to delay starting hangman a bit depending upon when I receive all the EPs, but I'll be getting to listening in the meantime.  Given the sheer quantity of music I'm about to take on, I'll probably have to reduce my number of listens per submission, amount of research a bit, and the amount of detail I get into or we'll still be here in October, but I have a few other fun mini-games and such shamelessly stolen from other roulettes, so I'll have ways to keep things entertaining anyway. 

---

Final Round 14 EP Guidelines:

*Up to 45 minutes

*No minimum time length, but quality + quantity is generally going to beat out just quality

*At least 3 different artists, no maximum limit

*No more than 15:00 from any one artist

*The ban on artists sent in earlier rounds is lifted for this round, except for entries that scored 8.25 or higher (they're indicated with a "*" at the bottom of post #13 in this thread, which is linked at the bottom of the soft ban list). 

*Unlike earlier rounds, I will be factoring flow into the score

*Scores will be out of 30, so it will be the equivalent of three rounds of scoring in one.  I'm not specifying how much of that will be devoted to flow, because since I haven't done this type of round before I'll only get a true sense of what I'm looking for as I listen through all the entries.  But song quality is still a higher priority than flow, so a random collection of great songs would likely still beat out a collection of merely good songs with perfect flow. 

*The submission format is the same as normal, if they are available, send both Youtube and Spotify links for the songs to lithojazzosphere@outlook.com.  But if it includes audio files not on streaming services, splices of songs for flow or other purposes, and/or is combined into a single audio file I will make that my primary listening for your entry for the round.  If you do include an edited single file, please include timestamps of where any track splits are. 

*Themes, narratives, stories, artwork and such are not required and won't directly be factored into the score, but if you think any of it will enhance my experience or your own by all means go for it

*Make it obvious what the title of the EP will be

Offline HOF

That’s a fine score for this one, and I agree with the write up for the most part. I just stumbled upon Panunzi’s album on Bandcame recently, but it’s one of my favorites of this year. I haven’t checked out any of his other stuff yet but plan to soon.

My EP is in already BTW.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So King Gizzard are back on the table  :hat

Glad to see I’m off the bottom of the scoreboards! So one of my songs was the fourth best in the round but still the low (relative) score, damn. Well definitely check out more by Puciato, he’s an insane vocalist for sure. Maybe try Killer Be Killed as well, featuring Troy Sanders and Max Cavelera, all sharing vocal duties.

Offline Lethean

I was hoping for a higher score this time around, but if you're going to look into it further, then really that's as much as I can hope for.  :)

Sent my EP, which I've thoroughly enjoyed listening to. :)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
So King Gizzard are back on the table  :hat

If this is your playing style, I suppose.

Well definitely check out more by Puciato, he’s an insane vocalist for sure. Maybe try Killer Be Killed as well, featuring Troy Sanders and Max Cavelera, all sharing vocal duties.

I'm sure I will later on, although Sanders is probably the weirdest part of Mastodon for me based on a few rounds ago, so who knows how that will go. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

There are definitely fans of The Dear Hunter who find the music and specifically, Casey's vocals easier to digest and enjoy with the more recent albums.

If you're not so much into "Rock Opera" elements or theatrical/story based stuff, than The Color Spectrum or Migrant might be worth hearing. Although both of those were recorded well over 10 years ago. And I think many people feel his vocals have just sounded better, especially since Act IV.

Act IV though has maybe the most consistent run of songs, which "Waves" maybe is the most accessible.

I guess use your own discretion, but if you may find more to like with The Dear Hunter checking out the newer records at some point. Antimai and the 2 most recent Acts albums. Or say his non-conceptual project "Honorary Astronaut" even.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, I was really concerned with that First Impression. Still got an 8 and actually picked up ground on the two guys in front of me, except now I am joined by two others now in my place.

My EP has been sent, and I feel like it's going to be a long shot, so...here goes..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I can take you not digging Fishmans' music that much, even saying the singer's voice is weird (kinda sus of you but ok)... but scoring way below Ghost? Now I am offended :lol

Time to prepare a revenge EP I guess.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I can take you not digging Fishmans' music that much, even saying the singer's voice is weird (kinda sus of you but ok)... but scoring way below Ghost? Now I am offended :lol

It's gonna be hard to score below dreamcrusher, but you can certainly try!   :rollin

Not sure what's suspicious about me not liking those vocals. 

And it turns out that a decade of new satanic panic is not Tobias' most iconoclastic move, but offending the sensibilities of my roulette participants! 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just made an EP of purely harsh noise

And it turns out that a decade of new satanic panic is not Tobias' most iconoclastic move, but offending the sensibilities of my roulette participants! 
I listened to Meliora the other day, and it was just spooky dad rock so :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Just made an EP of purely harsh noise

Damn..in 15 minutes?