Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 117021 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm either 6,8,13, or 17.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Interesting. Not sure how I feel about that, which I guess is what you're thinking too. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
This is definitely not a usual round, by design.  I'm kind of flabbergasted how frequently the ranking contours tend to hold, although there are always a few people a bit out of place, and probably even more so this time. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son

To be fair the songs I sent are way better than any of The Mars Volta songs you got. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online HOF

Am I 11?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Unfortunately so.
Well, hope the songs end up growing on you, I personally love that album. It's tough to get into it, but so worth it if you like dance music and noise.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
no clue so uhh. 12, 13, or 16? idk

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Unfortunately so.
Well, hope the songs end up growing on you, I personally love that album. It's tough to get into it, but so worth it if you like dance music and noise.
I think he made it pretty clear in the definitions for this round that he doesn't like noise... :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
No on HOF and Crow, though both of you aren't that far off. 

Unfortunately so.

It will definitely be one of the more interesting writeups, no matter what happens. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
uuhh. idk. 4? 11? 17? a lot of the remaining ones i can't see applying to mine. not funhouse, no demons, literally not metal, not stripped down, not an instrumental version of a vocal album, not much else works :V

Online HOF

I’ll guess 4 as well.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Round 10 Early Impressions:

1:  The first song feels like a funhouse mirror version of a style I like, but the second is more appealing, so we'll have to see how it balances out. 

2:  Puppies_On_Acid - The Fall of Troy - Did someone sneak The Mars Volta in again? 

3:  soupytwist - Manic Street Preachers - This seems kind of middle of the road, but you might have accidentally? stumbled upon some sneaky cheatin' points for an element of one of the songs. 

4:  HOF - Ske - So apparently there's at least two sides to this style, and I'd only checked out the one I really have to be in the right mood for, because I'll probably be in the mood for this much more frequently. 

5:  Two of these songs are kind of cool, but I feel like I'm observing a scuffle between two demons arguing over who gets to devour this poor sinner's kidneys first. 

6:  TAC - Sigh - This is really hard to parse.  There are certainly elements I like here, but other elements I thought might be present are missing, the production is a bit rough, and I wonder if these are the right songs to have sent. 

7:  The non-metal facets of this are easily the strongest, but the metal ones and the production hold it back. 

8:  Now this is going to take some getting used to, I feel like I'm in one of those dreams where everything's a little off, but you can't quite put your finger on what it is. 

9:  This is close to a style that I like (though don't always love), but it might be a too stripped-down version of it. 

10:  ariich - Ocean Colour Scene - The last song is really infectious, but the jury will be deliberating on the first two for a bit I suspect. 

11:  The key for some of the better submissions this round might be being adjacent to genres/artists I do like, and this one achieves that with a lush, beautiful and powerful sound. 

12:  This has more promising elements than some of what I've heard in this genre that makes me feel negatively about it, but still leans way too much into the things that bug me about versions of this style, particularly vocally. 

13:  There are some cool instrumental ideas here, but the growing array of types of vocals that vex me in this genre continues to frustrate me. 

14:  Crow - Actor|Observer - Normally I dislike instrumental versions of vocal albums, but this might be one of those exceptions where I could need it. 

15:  This isn't really my sort of style, but I have to admit it was getting a bit more fun and unexpectedly varied as it went along. 

16:  Getting the right balance of vocals that don't annoy me and guitar work that isn't overly fidgety seems to be a key for getting this style right, and this is one of the ones that comes closest to nailing it. 

17:  There are a surprisingly high number of different components I like here, though there aren't quite as many of any of them in particular as I'd like. 

18:  Sacul - dreamcrusher - This is so grating and obnoxious you may have driven me back into the comforting, loving arms of Han-Tyumi. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
not an instrumental version of a vocal album

You're not quite reading it right, but I'll give it to you. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
see, this is where we don't get along  :loser:

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Well, you're less alone this time.  Half a dozen people picking that genre winds up being almost literal roulette, in reverse. 

I'm going to try and put up comparisons of some kind tomorrow. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Ok, here are the impressions filled out.  Depending upon how the rest of the day goes I'll throw up comparisons either tonight or tomorrow. 

Round 10 Early Impressions:

1:  Elite - Ornette Coleman - The first song feels like a funhouse mirror version of a style I like, but the second is more appealing, so we'll have to see how it balances out. 

2:  Puppies_On_Acid - The Fall of Troy - Did someone sneak The Mars Volta in again? 

3:  soupytwist - Manic Street Preachers - This seems kind of middle of the road, but you might have accidentally? stumbled upon some sneaky cheatin' points for an element of one of the songs. 

4:  HOF - Ske - So apparently there's at least two sides to this style, and I'd only checked out the one I really have to be in the right mood for, because I'll probably be in the mood for this much more frequently. 

5:  Lethean - Solefald - Two of these songs are kind of cool, but I feel like I'm observing a scuffle between two demons arguing over who gets to devour this poor sinner's kidneys first. 

6:  TAC - Sigh - This is really hard to parse.  There are certainly elements I like here, but other elements I thought might be present are missing, the production is a bit rough, and I wonder if these are the right songs to have sent. 

7:  SoundscapeMN - Mutyumu - The non-metal facets of this are easily the strongest, but the metal ones and the production hold it back. 

8:  Buddyhunter1 - Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Now this is going to take some getting used to, I feel like I'm in one of those dreams where everything's a little off, but you can't quite put your finger on what it is. 

9:  Vmadera00 - Cro-Mags - This is close to a style that I like (though don't always love), but it might be a too stripped-down version of it. 

10:  ariich - Ocean Colour Scene - The last song is really infectious, but the jury will be deliberating on the first two for a bit I suspect. 

11:  Nachtmerrie - Svalbard - The key for some of the better submissions this round might be being adjacent to genres/artists I do like, and this one achieves that with a lush, beautiful and powerful sound. 

12:  Tomislav95 - Okkervil River - This has more promising elements than some of what I've heard in this genre that makes me feel negatively about it, but still leans way too much into the things that bug me about versions of this style, particularly vocally. 

13:  senecadawg2 - mewithoutYou - There are some cool instrumental ideas here, but the growing array of types of vocals that vex me in this genre continues to frustrate me. 

14:  Crow - Actor|Observer - Normally I dislike instrumental versions of vocal albums, but this might be one of those exceptions where I could need it. 

15:  twosuitluke - Gallows - This isn't really my sort of style, but I have to admit it was getting a bit more fun and unexpectedly varied as it went along. 

16:  Evermind - Black Peaks - Getting the right balance of vocals that don't annoy me and guitar work that isn't overly fidgety seems to be a key for getting this style right, and this is one of the ones that comes closest to nailing it. 

17:  Stadler - Hank Williams Jr. - There are a surprisingly high number of different components I like here, though there aren't quite as many of any of them in particular as I'd like. 

18:  Sacul - dreamcrusher - This is so grating and obnoxious you may have driven me back into the comforting, loving arms of Han-Tyumi. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
16:  Evermind - Black Peaks - Getting the right balance of vocals that don't annoy me and guitar work that isn't overly fidgety seems to be a key for getting this style right, and this is one of the ones that comes closest to nailing it.

:metal

Hopefully it didn't plummet during subsequent listens!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I'm trying to remember if I had any entries that I had a positive first impression of and then fell off later on.  It might have been traumatic enough that the submitter would remember even better than I would, but nothing is coming right to mind.  If there hasn't been, there will eventually be a first though, and since I still have a number of listens and a ways to go on the writeups, let's definitely hope you won't be the first? victim!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
8:  Buddyhunter1 - Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Now this is going to take some getting used to, I feel like I'm in one of those dreams where everything's a little off, but you can't quite put your finger on what it is. 

You know, that's exactly what makes this band so great to me. They've got this atmosphere to them that's... just unsettling enough that it's incredibly captivating and evocative. Their second album in particular almost feels like you've stumbled across something that you shouldn't have, with its bizarre but uncomfortably specific depictions of humanity being wiped out by nature and other strange occurrences.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Offline Nachtmerrie

11:  Nachtmerrie - Svalbard - The key for some of the better submissions this round might be being adjacent to genres/artists I do like, and this one achieves that with a lush, beautiful and powerful sound. 

It´s not really my genre as well but this is a band is really like. I´m hoping to see them live later this year.
J

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Ooh nice, I definitely considered Black Peaks but figured the more screamy vocals would presumably be what Litho doesn't like about post-hardcore.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Since like a third of the entries or more are in that broader area, and many of my quibbles (sometimes more than a quibble, actually) are vocal-oriented with them, I may need a separate section rather than trying to repeat some things too much, I'll have to see how everything flows when I'm closer to finishing the writeups. 

I'm also toying with the idea of doing short paragraph summaries of the main points for some of the lengthier writeups.  While I kind of enjoy the process of thinking about them and writing them, some of them get a bit long, and I suspect a lot of people (maybe most) don't read most of the writeups that aren't about theirs or bands they really like/are curious about.  Which is fine, time is a limited resource, but I may have been shooting myself in the foot in that my issues with various bands and styles tend to resurface, and it may partially be because people don't see the sections of various writeups where I discuss those.  So if more entries have a summary paragraph there's probably a greater chance more people will at least read those even if they don't read the rest of the details on each submission. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 03:17:10 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Yeah I think that's fair. I'll normally do a skim read through writeups and maybe dive into ones where I know the artist reasonably well, but the longer the write-ups are, the more of a "skim" it is.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Ooh nice, I definitely considered Black Peaks but figured the more screamy vocals would presumably be what Litho doesn't like about post-hardcore.

I thought they weren't on your RYM and planned to use them for your EP. Looked again just now and apparently they are! :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Ok, let's get in on the horizontal colored arrows game this time. 

Note that these are unadjusted comparisons, so if you chose a genre with a style difficulty bonus the adjusted score could potentially be above the final score from the previous round.  And as always, since I still have more listens and writing to do, some things could still grow (or sour, though less likely) on me. 

Round 10 Comparisons:

TAC:  Circus of Fools -> Sigh:  v
ariich:  Submotion Orchestra -> Ocean Colour Scene:  v
SoundscapeMN:  Ours -> Mutyumu:  v
soupytwist:  Camera Obscura -> Manic Street Preachers:  v
Nachtmerrie:  Brutus -> Svalbard:  ^
Evermind:  Hypno5e -> Black Peaks:  ^
HOF:  The Week That Was -> Ske:  ^
Lethean:  Threshold -> Solefald:  =?
Puppies_On_Acid:  Sieges Even -> The Fall of Troy:  v
Buddyhunter1:  The Comet Is Coming -> Sleepytime Gorilla Museum:  ^
Crow:  East of the Wall -> Actor|Observer:  v
senecadawg2:  The Amazing Devil -> mewithoutYou:  v
Stadler:  Our Lady Peace -> Hank Williams Jr.:  ^
Elite:  Gilad Hekselman -> Ornette Coleman:  ^
twosuitluke:  Zeal and Ardour -> Gallows:  v
Sacul:  Kendrick Lamar -> dreamcrusher:  v
Tomislav95:  Rishloo -> Okkervil River:  v
Vmadera00:  The Mars Volta -> Cro-Mags:  v

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Congrats ariich!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
down! lower! to the bottom!!!!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online HOF

Higher! Into the sun!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Continuing my downward streak  :metal :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
So little green! :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Before someone bumps this, I'll just note that I'm chipping away at the writeups, but I've had a couple of offline issues I've had to deal with that have been chewing away at my time, but both are close to being resolved, so I should be able to devote more time to cranking out the rest of them then.