Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 119636 times)

Offline Nachtmerrie

Never thought of it as "robot choirs" but I guess it makes sense  :lol

Saw them opening for Leprous this week. I wouldn't call it robot choirs. You didn't send a live recording:).
The contrast with Monuments coming after them was pretty big. Interesting package.

Offline Nachtmerrie

Should be 13 with the looping exercise I've send

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Never thought of it as "robot choirs" but I guess it makes sense  :lol

Saw them opening for Leprous this week. I wouldn't call it robot choirs. You didn't send a live recording:).

Litho probably checked a live recording out anyway. :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Not really too sure which is mine. 1?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Round 5 Early Impressions:

6:  Is a metronome counting me in?  I'm not sure I'm ready to punch in yet!

14:  I'm a bit surprised the tags for it don't even hint at this, but this song has overtones with not only my first song, but a style I toyed with including a fourth song for. 

I'll go with the more obvious first, #6?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Should be 13 with the looping exercise I've send

No. 

Not really too sure which is mine. 1?

Nope. 

I'll go with the more obvious first, #6?

Neither. 

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I have no clue, honestly. I'll guess when there's two left.

Online SoundscapeMN

3 or 11

Nope. 

12, 14  or 16?..(5 out of 12 numbers is hardly *guessing* anymore, lol)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Don’t know with the remaining impressions.

2?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Yep. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
:lol

In one turn!!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Been busier than expected the last few days.  I have drafts of everything, but I'm not liking how some of the writeups are coming out, so I need to rewrite them and work on everything else.  In the meantime, here are the filled-out impressions. 

Round 5 Early Impressions:

1:  Vmadera00 - St. Vincent - I was not expecting a synth lead to stand out. 

2:  Elite - Marina Osk - Is this song too happy for me? 

3:  Tomislav95 - Micah P. Hinson - This does way more with its runtime than I expected it to. 

4:  Stadler - Joan Baez - Oops, you accidentally sent something that actually fits the round songs this time. 

5:  Buddyhunter1 - Della Zyr - Backing vocals as lead vocals, this is rather different. 

6:  soupytwist - Beach House - Is a metronome counting me in?  I'm not sure I'm ready to punch in yet!

7:  Evermind - Kalandra - I think I mistakenly called myself a vocalist purist in an earlier round.  That's not right - apparently I love robot choirs. 

8:  Lethean - Full of Keys - Ooh, I see what you did there, very sneaky.  I thought it might be too sparse at first, but it picked up partway through. 

9:  HOF - Rocket Moth - I was definitely not expecting the drumming to be such a highlight, particularly the toms. 

10:  TAC - Helloween - Do I prefer this vocalist in a different context, or a different era? 

11:  twosuitluke - Cripped Black Phoenix - This was more propulsive than I had anticipated. 

12:  SoundscapeMN - Timbre - At first I thought I was playing a 90s fantasy video game, but then the magical journey took an unexpected turn halfway through. 

13:  Crow - Julia Holter - This might be the flip side of having so many layers. 

14:  ariich - Monica Heldal - I'm a bit surprised the tags for it don't even hint at this, but this song has overtones with not only my first song, but a style I toyed with including a fourth song for. 

15:  senecadawg2 - Sarah Fimm - Yeah, this was definitely a better choice. 

16:  Puppies_On_Acid - Che Aimee Dorval - Is there too much cursive singing in this? 

17:  Sacul - Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Not as depressing as expected. 

18:  Nachtmerrie - Jo Quail - This would make a fantastic intro to a song.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I almost guessed that one for my submission, but decided against it  :-X
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
see i have no clue what that impression even means  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Well, for me, all my submissions were spot on, since all were first impressions.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I almost guessed that one for my submission, but decided against it  :-X

Well, it's only semi-accurate, but remember that I try and do these based on blind first listens, and only add in knowledge learned later if I couldn't really come up with anything interesting enough from the initial one. 

see i have no clue what that impression even means  :lol

This must be TAC posting from Crow's computer.  :)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Not surprised it was that one, hopefully that's not a negative because it's not for me!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Hmm, I don't really think of Che as a cursive singer. She can sometimes get a bit of a twang in her voice though :dunno:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
No idea if my first impression is positive or not  :facepalm:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Hmm, I don't really think of Che as a cursive singer. She can sometimes get a bit of a twang in her voice though :dunno:

Is a "cursive singer" a thing?  I thought that might actually be mine, because Baez sings in a flowery way with a lot of frills; sort of the "cursive" (handwriting) version of vocals, most of which are more block letters.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Me neither.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Me neither.

Yup me third.

Offline Nachtmerrie

I guess mine makes a fantastic intro into a great review

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Made some progress on untangling these writeups.  Probably still not going to be my favorite writing, but it should all be sorted out enough by Friday. 

Is a "cursive singer" a thing?  I thought that might actually be mine, because Baez sings in a flowery way with a lot of frills; sort of the "cursive" (handwriting) version of vocals, most of which are more block letters.

You probably don't listen to many.  It's a relatively recent phenomenon, and is sometimes also called "hip singing" and "indie girl voice".  Lots and lots of material to read and watch about it online.  From my casual research in the last few years it seems no one can quite figure out where it came from, who properly started it, or even what to call it, though you can certainly argue for some precursors.  But it's much more common in indie pop/folk/rock and some mainstream pop in the past decade or two.  Artists like Halsey and Sia are often associated with it. 

Offline HOF

Made some progress on untangling these writeups.  Probably still not going to be my favorite writing, but it should all be sorted out enough by Friday. 

You probably don't listen to many.  It's a relatively recent phenomenon, and is sometimes also called "hip singing" and "indie girl voice".  Lots and lots of material to read and watch about it online.  From my casual research in the last few years it seems no one can quite figure out where it came from, who properly started it, or even what to call it, though you can certainly argue for some precursors.  But it's much more common in indie pop/folk/rock and some mainstream pop in the past decade or two.  Artists like Halsey and Sia are often associated with it.

I’ve never heard the term but I think I know exactly the style you’re talking about.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Many listens more, and this is still my overall favorite round so far.  As I previewed a few days ago, I'll probably be digging further into the discographies of even some of the lower-ranked artists.  It's hard to say since I kind of have to grade a bit on a curve, but in general 7.0 seems around the point at which I do genuinely start liking a song overall, but may have some reservations about it, which might be amplified a bit more than necessary to justify to myself why I scored some songs lower. 

---

Crow - Julia Holter - "Lucette Stranded On an Island"

Early Impression - "This might be the flip side of having so many layers."

So I've heard more material from her than most other artists before this round.  I know she's become a bit of a critical darling for the music connoisseur community, and I've heard five of her albums and found them intriguing, but nothing had really stuck with me yet.  I think you said this was the only album of her's that you liked, although the one that stood out the most on my cursory listens was Aviary.  I was kind of glad you sent her, because I felt like it might be the sort of music that needs more listens to begin to unravel.  But well, I've certain given this song quite a few plays, and there are still many layers to go for me to quite make sense of it. 

I still can't figure out entirely what to make of this song.  If I isolate each individual component, there's nothing really wrong with it, to the contrary, I like most of the separate components.  The opening bell-like percussive texture is pretty unique.  I love how the drum kit is pretty evenly panned around the stereo spectrum.  And piano, violin, and harp are textures I'm almost always happy to hear.  Apparently there is also saxophone on other tracks on the album, which I don't remember from my cursory listen awhile back.  Some of the blurbs about the album I sampled indicate that it is a bit "bigger" sounding than some of her other work, and her voice is more out-front than it typically is, which would normally help. 

But somehow it just doesn't fit altogether like I want it to.  I think it's a bit too much in the abstract and artsy direction for me.  When I listen to it, it's an enjoyable experience to hear all of the different layers bouncing off of each other, but when I'm not listening to it, I can't really remember much about it other than a lot seemed to be happening, and the "the birds can sing a song" line.  In contrast to some of the heavily-layered songs in previous rounds, this one just feels kind of messy and cluttered.  It's as if they had a bunch of ideas in the studio session and just pasted them altogether.  I read an interview snippet where she says that she writes in a stream of consciousness flow, sometimes to an excess, and I think that might be the challenge for me.  Maybe it's just not the right song.  But still, better to be nebulous and a bit busy than overly minimalistic in general for me. 

Score:  7/10

---

Vmadera00 - St. Vincent - "Strange Mercy"

Early Impression - "I was not expecting a synth lead to stand out."

Here is an artist that I've heard an album and a few separate songs from, but is another that I'm only cursorily familiar with.  And well, here we have exhibit A for why it might be risky to send a live version of a song as the primary entry.  There are certainly elements I appreciate about this song, but the live version magnifies a few quibbles that bug me about it. 

First, a few things I admired.  As my impression alludes to, the tone at 1:37 and other spots is easily the most alluring of the song.  I thought it was a synthesizer at first, but obviously once you watch the video you can see that she's playing it live, and it's likely going through some kind of pedal that gives it a synthier timbre, or is even being processed by a synthesizer somewhere else in the room.  It's a texture that while still quite interesting live, is diluted a bit and pulled back in the mix, and the timbre is a tad more piquant on the studio recording.  I also kind of like the rising swell texture at 3:27.  Overall I dig the relaxed vibe of the track, and in spite of what I'm about to say, the overall experience was still positive. 

So onto what I struggled with.  One problem is that in general the mix sounds really narrow and boxy.  Everything is just squashed into the center of the left-right spectrum, and it loses the stereophonic richness that the studio version has.  The next issue is that the song has this sort of unadorned trap-style beat that propels much of it, and makes it feel too static.  Even though in the live performance it's clearly being played on a pad, there are no dynamics to it - it seems programmed so that every hit of the pad is at exactly the same volume.  Supposedly the drummer is fairly well-regarded, so maybe I just don't get along with his groove, but it's even more noticeable live than the album version, even when he switches from the pad to the hi-hat. 

The next challenge for me is the fuzzy, broken speaker guitar tone she uses starting at 2:44.  There are probably contexts where that might be an interesting sound for contrast, but it just doesn't work for me here, and the timbre is even more obtrusive on the live version than the studio one.  And then a further concern is that at 3:32 when the synth guitar lead returns, this time it's being doubled by another instrument an octave up, but they aren't in-tune with each other, which is distracting. 

Score:  7/10

---

Sacul - Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - "Mysteries"

Early Impression - "Not as depressing as expected."

Which for me isn't always a good thing.  It can be fascinating when an artist from a more well-known project does solo or collaborative work, to see if they lean even more heavily into the sound of their main project, or whether they go for something completely different.  In this case, it appears that she's done the latter.  I'd heard this album at some point before, but didn't realy know it.  I'm more of a casual Portishead fan, but I generally like the darker grittiness of them, so you could say I was a bit sad this was so happy.  It's certainly not a bad song, but it just doesn't really move me as much as I'd like it to, and I think I prefer her work with Portishead. 

It seems silly and superficial, but when the melodies don't hook me, it appears that it can boil down to it just having too many major chords for me, the intro being deceptively minor.  It's also a bit on the minimalistic side for my tastes, with mostly just a single guitar and lead vocal, with some backing subdued choral vocals.  A few interesting background textures start popping up around 3:38, but it's not really enough to move the needle.  I still like her voice enough to keep it from the bottom, and maybe another song on the album would work better for me.  A blurb described this album as "Billie Holiday fronting Siouxsie & The Banshees", which should be right up my alley, but I guess I just don't hear it on this tune, it's pleasant, but not indelible like I wish it was. 

Score:  7.25/10

---

Elite - Marína Ósk - "Meðan höndin mín í hendi þinni hvílir"

Early Impression - "Is this song too happy for me?"

Well, so you have picked an interesting vocalist, but this is probably not the right song.  I'm beginning to feel a theme here with some of these first few tracks.  I'm wondering if this is one of the least jazz-oriented songs that Marina's done, which might have been a mistaken, even if technically we've already had "the jazz round."  It's not a bad song by any means, and there are certainly enjoyable things about it, but there are just too many other cuts this round that I like more.  I think it might just be a weakness in my taste, that with some exceptions, it's more rare for brighter-sounding music to resonate with me as much as more melancholic songs.  I'm not sure if I'd want nothing but sorrowful music all roulette long, because some more positive songs will occasionally hit, it's just less common. 

Stylistically, this probably could have been a minor hit in the 90s, as it's not that far off from some Dave Matthews material and some country songs of the time.  Although, it does have some more unique characteristics, like Marina's voice, and the rounder guitar tone often played in octaves and with tremolo.  2:26 is the "we might also play jazz" tease with the grace note, but unfortunately that's about all you get.  I do also find that the light drumming, a few bass runs, and increased presence of backing vocals and harmonies gives it some lift in a few spots.  I'll probably have to check out more of her work, because I could imagine other songs appealing to me more. 

---

TAC - Helloween - "Longing"

Early Impression - "Do I prefer this vocalist in a different context, or a different era?"

So Helloween is not an unfamiliar band to me.  When I was discovering power metal, I kept running across people recommending the Keeper of the Seven Keys pair of albums, which I purchased and listened to a number of times ("I Want Out" was my favorite song of theirs), and some other scattered songs here and there, and while I understand their importance in laying the foundation for the style, building upon Rainbow's work, they just never quite appealed to me the way some of the later bands did.  Well, their reunion albums a few years ago with Kiske, Hansen, and Deris joining forces renewed my interest in them a bit, and I enjoyed them more than I expected I would, since later-era releases from older bands can be pretty hit or miss.  Well, Kiske's performance on those albums was probably the most surprising facet - his voice seemed to have aged much better than Deris' or Hansen's. 

But here, we're back to the first decade of their output, and frankly, I think I prefer the more current version of him.  He's perfectly fine here, which is probably less than you want to hear.  But without refreshing my memory more strongly with the Keepers albums, I'm torn between wondering whether he sounds better with the complement of the full band, or if I just prefer the more refined and polished later incarnation of him.  Regardless, it does show a greater amount of range and shade of vocal timbre than I was aware he had.  This holds up much better than some of the Timo Kotipelto ballads of the 90s and early 00s, for example. 

After my first listen I had an impression of the string accompaniment feeling really dated, but on later listens, it was not as bad as I recalled.  They sound ok in the upper and midrange, and it's just the lowest-pitched ones that sound like they're based upon a dated keyboard sample, most noticeable at 3:29. 

---

Tomislav95 - Micah P. Hinson - "Beneath the Rose"

Early Impression - "This does way more with its runtime than I expected it to."

I was a bit worried at first, because with the sub-three minute runtime and the opening, I thought this might be the sort of overly simple indie folk that generally doesn't connect with me.  But as it went along, it really picked up steam, and I was surprised with how much it packs into its length.  We get some upright bass, some vocal double tracking, some slide guitar at 1:09 (possibly the first use of it in this roulette - I love that sound), some accordion, and some piano triplets in sync with the acoustic, but a different pattern, so there's a sneakily large amount going on by the ending.  And he has a more unpolished voice than I normally prefer (it feels really weird scoring him higher than Kiske, but the instrumentation is also doing some heavy lifting here), but I actually kind of dig it, the vibe just really works.  And I guess this is where the fickle nature of my tastes comes out a bit, because this is also on the happier side of what I normally like, which perhaps keeps it from scoring a bit higher, but it would have placed solidly in the middle in most other rounds. 

Score:  7.5/10

---

Nachtmerrie - Jo Quail - "Forge"

Early Impression - "This would make a fantastic intro to a song."

So here we have another song that might have been hurt a bit by sending the live/performance version instead of the studio one.  It's definitely riveting to watch, particularly with the more detailed runthrough she does of how she's constructing it on the fly.  But as a complete piece of music, it's just missing something, and feels like an extended intro to a full album or a more conventional song.  I don't know about the album as a whole, but I did listen to the studio version of this song for comparison, and while it's not perfect either, it does have more parts and elements that might have made this score a bit higher. 

So as people may be figuring out, I really do love violin and cello as solo instruments, generally much more than in large symphonic ensembles, where I find too often the individual brilliance of a particular performance is just lost in the wash of sound.  And this is a pretty enthralling composition in how Jo uses nothing but the cello itself to produce a pretty staggering array of different sounds, from body percussion to atmospheric parts to more driving rhythmic motifs.  But a bit like Amenra a couple rounds ago, it's just lacking something melodically.  It's not intended to be as heavy as that one, and it has much more ambiance than "De Evenmens" did, but it is also light on anything memorable to hook me in.  The closest it gets is the ending solo of sorts, but even that is more texture than melody, and is a bit lower in the mix than it should have been, as she notes in the explanation video.  There were some more melodic electric guitar parts in the studio recording that would have come at least a bit closer, but they're not even mimicked at all in this live performance rendition. 

The construction of the piece is quite impressive, noticing how it is in an odd time signature, with different layers having different cycles where they resync with each other, kind of a Meshuggah concept applied to chamber-ish music.  It was probably done long before them, but they're an obvious metal example of it.  I've seen a lot of different uses of live looping technology used to create pieces, generally on guitar and sometimes on vocals, but this is definitely one of the more unique and striking ones.  The slicer effect on the high note at 3:55 is also delightful.  Towards the end it becomes something of industrial chamber music. 

The biggest surprise was finding out that Jo performed the cello parts on Emma Ruth Rundle's "Blooms of Oblivion" and "Citadel".  The former song in particular is one of my absolute favorite tracks of the decade so far, and while it's mostly from Emma's contributions, the cello work did help set the mood as well.  That can't really directly help the score of this song, but those sort of connections do make me even more likely to check out more material from an artist.  And it's always nice to find more chamber music that isn't strictly classical or Apocalyptica. 

Score:  7.75/10
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 07:57:20 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
ariich - Monica Heldal - "Boy From the North"

Early Impression - "I'm a bit surprised the tags for it don't even hint at this, but this song has overtones with not only my first song, but a style I toyed with including a fourth song for."

So by this I mean that this song to me clearly has some alt-country overtones, even if the RYM page for it doesn't list them as tags.  Her voice disguises it, but the acoustic and electric work and tones definitely have a bit of that flavor to me, as well as it being in the dorian mode and some of the bluesy vocal lines.  And as I locked in example songs for the round, I experimented with a few different tunes in the third and unlikely but potential fourth spots that would have had stronger hints in that direction, but ultimately decided against it.  So it's cool to get something that unknowingly nods to that, especially that two of you independently thought it would be a good fit. 

But ultimately, while I like song quite a lot, this is yet another scenario where I suspect I might like others even more.  Part of me wants to say it's just a bit too sparse, though my example songs aren't really that dense either, and another song that's even more stripped-back scored even higher. 

A few things in particular that stood out are that there were a few teases of harmony guitar parts I wouldn't have minded more of, like at 1:40 and 2:04.  I dig the vibe at 2:15 as well.  There is a really interesting texture that becomes noticeable around 3:28, with a few seconds of buildup prior, that repeats again later.  It's hard to tell if it's a cymbal swell that's been processed, or an ambient noise sample that's been added in, but it gives a rather unique crescendo into that final chorus.  I also really the vocal effect at 4:04. 

Score:  8/10

---

Buddyhunter1 - Della Zyr - "What Orpheus Sang Before"

Early Impression - "Backing vocals as lead vocals, this is rather different."

I suppose the vocal style here is a bit closer to the more pure origin of dream pop as the less abrasive other side of the coin to shoegaze, where the vocals are often quite washed-out, a bit indecipherable, and almost more of an instrumental texture than a traditional lead vocal.  It's a really lush and rich sound for the overall atmosphere, but the lead vocals being back in the mix and often harmonized does make them a bit harder to latch onto as hooks. 

When I saw the track runtime, I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I rather intrigued how many different sections this song has.  I'm not sure they are quite as seamless or flow as well together as they could, but it does provide a lot of variety over the duration.  3:21 is an especially engrossing section, you could kind of call it dream country with the acoustics and alternating root/5th bass lines.  I have some music that experiments with that feel, and this adds another dimension to it, being a bit more upbeat.  The fingerpicked acoustic guitar work in general is definitely a highlight of the song.  I also like the plucked pizzicato sound at 7:11. 

Well, this round had some grade inflation, but it looks like you have your first 8/10.  What's the next goal, 8.25, or a top third placement?  :-p

---

soupytwist - Beach House - "Myth"

Early Impression - "Is a metronome counting me in?  I'm not sure I'm ready to punch in yet!"

So Beach House is a name I hear over and over again, and I've listened to a song here and there and wasn't quite sure they were for me.  I'm pretty certain I've heard this song before, though I didn't really know it that well.  I think it's easily the best song of theirs I've heard so far.  Dream pop has been a style I've worked on exploring more than most in the last few years, not really knowing hardly anything about it at all closer to a decade or more ago.  Most of what I've liked has leaned more into the ethereal wave sister style to it, and this seems to come from more of the indie side of things, which I'm much less familiar with. 

I really like the guitar tone in this song, that chimey, chorused sound.  I suspected it was coming from a Fender Strat, and bingo, I'm right on the money again.  It works well in interlocking with the piano arpeggios, and also makes for an effective climax with the tremolo picking near the ending at 3:27.  I'm still undecided on the vocal style, but I found some of the melodies to have some earworm qualities, which helped a bit. 

I know you've been confounded by the roller coaster ride of scores your entries have received thus far, and while this doesn't really move the standings at all, I suppose being in the middle in a round is at least a new spot to be in?  :-)

---

Puppies_On_Acid - Ché Aimee Dorval - "Blood Red Son"

Early Impression - "Is there too much cursive singing in this?"

So this solves a puzzle piece that I didn't even know I was missing.  I'm a big fan of Devin Townsend, but not enough of one to have heard everything he's done yet.  I knew that Casualties of Cool was a thing, but hadn't realized that it was a collaboration with her, and also Morgan Ågren, a great Swedish drummer.  It will definitely have to go on my list of priorities to check out, along with her solo work.  I don't know if this is also a coincidence, but apparently she's on Icons Creating Evil Art, the same label that Louise Lemón is on, so I might have to look into some of the other artists on their roster. 

This is also an interesting contribution to my ongoing dilemma with what to do with live music going forward.  This is a perfect example of why you might prefer sending a live version of a song, as I listened to the original as well, and while the bones and melodies of it are still present, the changes in arrangement are quite obvious.  This more laid-back version does quite a lot with some fairly simple but close guitar arpeggiations, utilizing some tasty half-step progressions and major/minor alternation for contrast and variety. 

This is a great vocal performance, and I can see why Devin picked up on her talent.  I've oscillated a bit on some of the vocal inflections, the way she says "touched" and a few other words from time to time is a bit strange, hence the impression, but ultimately it's not that big a deal. 

I'm not sure what the accordion-like instrument she's playing in parts of the tune is, but it definitely adds some flavor.  That device, along with the shimmery reverb on the guitar, is often part of the key to keeping simple performances like these from sounding too dry.  This song is on an album from this year, so I have a good start on getting into that already now - I love that sort of dual-purpose listening. 

---

twosuitluke - Crippled Black Phoenix - "Nebulas"

Early Impression - "This was more propulsive than I had anticipated."

Here we have another artist that I've heard an album from, and hear brought up frequently, but definitely didn't have much of a grasp on yet.  This was the era in which Daniel Änghede was a vocalist and guitarist for them, and I'm familiar with his work with Draconian and ISON, two artists I have tremendous fondness for, and even if my love for them is not primarily due to his contributions, sometimes even proximity to greatness helps. 

I don't know if the rest of the album sounds anything like this, but either I was misremembering, or it's rather unique song, because I was expecting something much slower.  The tags at Rate Your Music don't mention it, but this has a lot of post-punk energy to it.  The toms at 3:51 inject even more life, and then it really breaks open at 4:07, and adding the vocal from Daniel underneath gives this a quite cool feel to it. with the contrast between their voices 

This really has a cornucopia of tantalizing guitar tones.  The various textures are pretty consistently compelling, kind of gothic-rock influenced, with a nice chorused and delayed tone.  And then when it pulls back some in the verses, I really enjoy the flanger tone on the second guitar, as well as the synth patch there.  My favorite timbre might be the sustained notes at 3:10, which are a bit Type O Negative-ish, though not quite as lush.  The ambient break at 3:28 is nice as well. 

Score:  8.25

---

senecadawg2 - Sarah Fimm - "Story of Us"

Early Impression - "Yeah, this was definitely a better choice."

I'm probably not ready for your original selection yet - at least for it to score this high.  This is more up my alley, given that when I was exploring electronic music more heavily I had a substantial trip-hop phase, and this song falls right in line with that.  The drum loop is quite splendid, with some creative chopping and slicing of it to keep it from sounding too static.  The little percussive bits like at 0:09 are especially delightful. 

The Rhodes electric piano and the stereo panning and delay on the electronics are also refreshing.  Additionally, this is a style that more often goes for chill than for epic, but the thick bass line at 3:47 provides just a little bit of extra juice near the end of the song, especially when most songs this round are bereft of prominent bass playing.  The overall vibe gives me unexpected nostalgia for some old memories I hadn't reminisced about in awhile, even though it's a new tune to me. 

---

Lethean - Full of Keys - "Suicide Bridge"

Early Impression - "Ooh, I see what you did there, very sneaky.  I thought it might be too sparse at first, but it picked up partway through."

Well, you've somehow done it.  You've snuck in a Katatonia-adjacent artist I hadn't explored into my roulette.  When I saw the name, it looked oddly familiar, and a few clicks later, aha, it's the guest vocalist on "Vanishers"!  I've checked out many of the bands in the Katatonia guest and touring orbit, but somehow hadn't gotten to this one yet.  I might have if we'd reached City Burials in the discography discussion, but here we are.  There are also some backing vocals on "City Glaciers" and possibly another track or two on the album that also don't sound like Jonas, and I wonder if she's also uncredited on those. 

Anyway, I love these sort of moody piano ballads.  I'm not sure if it would have worked quite as well if it had kept the minimalistic piano accompaniment throughout the whole song, but halfway through the string arrangement joins in, and provides enough additional ornamentation without overpowering the vocal or piano parts.  It actually starts picking up with a spooky background texture around 1:55, with that descending glissando bit, which might be from a theremin.  The string arrangement itself is surprisingly dynamic, particularly with how it gives an alternate version of that spooky line at 3:01, gradually adding in a tremolo swell, then with its own descending glissando, a bit more prominent in the mix this time.  At 2:04 they alternate between short pizzicato hits and longer held notes, which gives some welcome variation. 

I also adore how as the song becomes more intense with the piano adding an extra upper octave, it adds the darker phrygian flattened second chord at 2:59 and other spots, giving some extra weight to the song - it reminds me of Charlotte Martin's version of k.d. Lang's "Constant Craving" in that regard. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
HOF - Rocket Moth - "Qismah"

Early Impression - "I was definitely not expecting the drumming to be such a highlight, particularly the toms."

So I've heard of Enchant on occasion, but this seems to be one of those side projects that somehow never gained any traction, which is a shame.  The core of the band being the vocalist and the drummer seems to be a fertile ground, and is the same dynamic that powers Kingfisher Sky from my first round sample songs.  A few other songs of Rocket Moth's had been revealed in the hangman for 425's roulette, so I'd given them a cursory listen, but since the results are still in limbo, I hadn't gotten to the additional listen or two, and didn't really remember how they sounded. 

So the flow of the song was quite unexpected.  It's just so well-executed.  It's another of those songs that starts out rather deceptively, and for the first minute and a half I thought it might remain calm all the way through.  The entrance of the toms at 1:30 was serendipitous, but even when they had a few bar solo break at 1:50 for some reason I still was not anticipating how much energy the song would have later.  These are some of the better-recorded toms I've heard, and despite sounding like cannons, they don't feel out of place with the softer elements somehow.  4:57 when the ride is brought in during the solo is really when everything explodes, and I'm kind of still marveling at how much ground they'd covered by that point in the song. 

The guitar work is quite nice as well.  It's mostly rhythmic and textural, even during the solo, but it's quite effective, with the vocals and violin providing more than enough of melodic interest elsewhere.  0:52 is a delightful reversed guitar effect, the first in the roulette, I believe.  The harmonics in the bit at 1:10 are nice as well.  The tone in the chorus at 1:30 is surprisingly full and warm. 

The violin in a number of spots, but especially in the solo at 2:22, really adds a lot.  It has a surprisingly dark tone at first that I almost pondered if maybe I was hearing viola or even cello, though the higher range later on gives it away.  Of course, there is another Kingfisher Sky parallel (though they have cello). 

The vocals are really pleasant as well.  Sometimes vocalise, like in a few spots here such as 0:08 and 1:10, can come off as trite, but in ideal circumstances, like here, they blend as an additional instrument.  I also dig the panned delay on them at 4:42, it's more of the sort of part you'd find on an electronic track, but it adds additional panache here. 

I suppose this shares the most DNA with my first and third songs.  The latter cut turned out to be critical, with the full band feel, because with the first two having no real band or drumming propulsion behind them, the risk was excluding songs like this one.  Maybe you'd have come up with it anyway, but it certainly opened the door for it.  I'm going to need to check out Enchant now, and also The Wishing Tree, which has the same nucleus, plus two Marillion members, to tie together two of the rounds. 

Score:  8.5

---

Stadler - Joan Baez - "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You"

Early Impression - "Oops, you accidentally sent something that actually fits the round songs this time."

So I've been periodically searching for more melancholic, darker acoustic music for probably a dozen years now, and really only over the past half-dozen years or so have my efforts been more than very sporadically successful.  As I've honed in on what I like, I've been trying to trace the origins of it, and too much that I've checked out only seems tangentially related to what I'm looking for.  Well, this song turns out to be one of the earliest precursors I've heard that lays the groundwork for this sound.  Arguably the song that kicked off the search for me (and was at one point a potential 4th song placeholder) is Sarah Jarosz' "Run Away", which while having a more modern production and more of a bluegrass/Americana slant, is clearly derived, albeit generations later, from the sort of atmosphere that Joan has created here. 

I've been unable to track down exactly which rendition of this song this particular one is, as it seems to be a different recording than the one on the '62 In Concert album.  But they're very similar performances, so I don't know if it matters very much. 

I've found it fascinating that Joan is compared so much with Bob Dylan.  I understand that they had a relationship at one point, are of the same era and broad genre, and had some similar themes, but I can't really listen to Dylan.  He has one of my least favorite voices in popular recorded music, and I much prefer his songs as sung by other people, whereas Joan has a far more radiant voice.  She has an unusually rapid vibrato, which doesn't work for a lot of vocalists, but it does for her.  I wouldn't be shocked if someone like Anneke van Giersbergen had been inspired by her at one point, they have a similar vocal quality at times in their upper ranges.  I've been aware of Joan for a long time, and had enjoyed an album or two and maybe another song here and there, but this is clearly evidence that I need to dig deeper into her work. 

I'm only a very casual Led Zeppelin fan, so I hadn't heard their origin story and how it relates to this song, so that is quite fascinating to hear.  It's perhaps blasphemous if some of the LZ fans somehow stumble upon this writeup for some reason, but I prefer her version over their's.  It's much simpler, which normally would go against my tastes (although the flamenco-ish fingerpicking pattern I suspect is subtly more complex than it sounds, not having attempted to play it, and it has that harmonic minor flavor), but this just has that haunting and ineffable je ne sais quoi. 

Score:  8.75

---

SoundscapeMN - Timbre - "Night Girl: Nycteris Sees the Sun"

Early Impression - "At first I thought I was playing a 90s fantasy video game, but then the magical journey took an unexpected turn halfway through."

This is really quite a unique song.  You seem to have a hopefully endless well of these.  Besides the feeling from the impression, I found the contrast in the intro quite intoxicating, with the darker and more mysterious phrygian scale being used for the melody, a quite common one for metal, but less commonplace elsewhere, paired with the gentle sounds of the harp, horn section, choral backing vocals later on, and the ethereal semi-operatic delivery of the melody. 

One of the more dazzling sections of the song began where the song picks up at 3:24.  The harp is playing a lengthier motif, with the cello holding out notes on the left, and the oboe on the right performing a counterpoint to it, and on a later repeat, the cello ascends into a higher register.  And then at 4:02 they're all playing different lines melodically, but each with the same faster but steady rhythmic cadence.  I love this sort of classical orchestration technique ported into a rock-ish format, but in a non-cliché fashion.  4:47 is fun as well, with the cello effectively filling the role of electric guitar power chords, with the higher harp chording and the triplet tom fills.  Piano rock is definitely a thing, but maybe harp rock should be as well if other artists could craft something equally as entrancing. 

Speaking of the drums, this is another great example like Rocket Moth of how I was blown away by how spellbinding the drumming would become based on how mellow the earlier minutes of the song were with mallets on the toms and cross-sticking on the snare.  The drums have a fairly open room sound to them, which really expands the dynamic and scope of the song.  There's even a few moments of double bass, such as at 5:03 (and is even more obvious in the Audio Tree live version).  Maybe I missed one in a song earlier somewhere in the roulette, but this is also probably the first usage of cymbal swells, such as at 0:09, 2:08, and 5:20. 

---

Evermind - Kalandra - "Borders"

Early Impression - "I think I mistakenly called myself a vocalist purist in an earlier round.  That's not right - apparently I love robot choirs."

So this has really been a round to confirm that I need to spend more time with a number of these artists.  I had stumbled upon a few songs from Kalandra last year, and had them in a list of artists to investigate further, but this is probably the most promising song from them yet. 

The amount of subtle atmospheric layering and building is really impressive here.  I love how sometimes artists can build from almost nothing to something grand later in a song.  The music video version which you sent opens with some nature sounds that the album version doesn't have, but I think it makes it even more epic.  It transitions from those to a solitary vocal line with reverb, to subtly incorporating the vocoder harmonization and synthetic water/wind noise, and then adding more layers of synthesizer and guitar.  Things gradually continue to open up and bloom, it's quite majestically done.  Even without anything else this would be a very nice ambient-ish pop song, but it's the vocoder harmonies that really add something special.  Technically it's a form of pitch-shifting, but the synthetic voice and it being a backing vocal instead of a lead vocal abstracts it enough that I really cherish it.  It reminds me a lot of Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek", which is a more overt example. 

So then if I think about the vocal distortion on Blanck Mass a couple rounds ago, or even the Leslie speaker effect on Marissa Nadler's voice in the template song for the round, there are clearly "unnatural" vocal usages I like, so it may just be when pitch-shifting is used for a primary melodic vocal.  Those examples and the ones in this song are great.  There are just too many other songs in dream pop and other styles which use them in ways I don't like, so mercifully the entries this round have avoided them. 

I also really love the lush texture of the background synth pads, probably best heard around 3:46.  It has this rolling cloudy feel to it which pairs well with some of the more sizzling filter sweeps from other synth patches in other moments. 

---

Current Standings (after 5 rounds):

SoundscapeMN ----------------- 42.75
Nachtmerrie --------------------- 40.75
HOF -------------------------------- 40.25
Evermind --------------------------- 40
TAC ---------------------------------- 40
ariich --------------------------------- 39
soupytwist ---------------------------- 39
Lethean -------------------------------- 38.75
Stadler ---------------------------------- 38.75
senecadawg2 -------------------------- 38.5
Sacul ---------------------------------- 37
Tomislav95 --------------------------- 37
twosuitluke -------------------------- 37
Buddyhunter1 ---------------------- 36.75
Vmadera00 ------------------------ 36.75
Elite ------------------------------- 36.5
Puppies_On_Acid ---------------- 36.5
Crow ----------------------------- 34.25
romdrums ---------------------- 14.25 (had to drop out after the second round)

---
Announcement

Ok, so here's my PSA about sending live music.  I talked about it more specifically in a few of the writeups (the ones for St. Vincent and Jo Quail in particular, a bit less so for Ché Aimee Dorval and Joan Baez), but to generalize it, here's my overall suggestion.  When in doubt, sending studio versions of songs is safer for me, because the common drop in audio quality and lack of studio ear candy is likely to hold back a song for me more than a bit of live energy and vibe will help it.  If the song(s) you want to send have cool live, performance, or alternate versions, by all means send me a link to them as well, and I'll give them a listen as supplemental material for context (I may or may not have found it on my own anyway later.)  But of course many songs sent don't even have them at all and have still scored well. 

But in general I would recommend against making a live recording the primary submission.  The exceptions would generally be if the live version has a special guest that is not on the studio recording that really brings it to life, or if it's a very different arrangement from the studio version, good examples being the Greg Herriges one from a few rounds ago or the Ché Aimee Dorval one this round.  Or with something like the Joan Baez song, the primary version is a live one, and I don't even know if a studio version exists (at least I didn't come across one), so that's fine. 

---

So anyway, for the next round we're back to the free for all open round.  One artist, up to 15 minutes, as many or as few songs as will fit in that time frame.  Send entries to lithojazzosphere@outlook.com.  YouTube works best, but I'll make do with almost anything. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 08:16:59 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: LithoJazzoSphere's 1st Roulette: Vol. I: Variety & Reciprocity (R5 Results!)
« Reply #1290 on: February 16, 2023, 07:41:10 PM »
yeehaw back to the bottom  :2metal:
time to send something bad, probably

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: LithoJazzoSphere's 1st Roulette: Vol. I: Variety & Reciprocity (R5 Results!)
« Reply #1291 on: February 16, 2023, 07:43:36 PM »
And so begins my downward spiral..

Sent!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1292 on: February 16, 2023, 08:03:49 PM »
yeehaw back to the bottom  :2metal:

If it's an ascending loop that restarts a point higher every 4 rounds, maybe it'll work out after all. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #1293 on: February 16, 2023, 08:28:24 PM »
HOF - Rocket Moth - "Qismah"

Early Impression - "I was definitely not expecting the drumming to be such a highlight, particularly the toms."

So I've heard of Enchant on occasion, but this seems to be one of those side projects that somehow never gained any traction, which is a shame.  The core of the band being the vocalist and the drummer seems to be a fertile ground, and is the same dynamic that powers Kingfisher Sky from my first round sample songs.  A few other songs of Rocket Moth's had been revealed in the hangman for 425's roulette, so I'd given them a cursory listen, but since the results are still in limbo, I hadn't gotten to the additional listen or two, and didn't really remember how they sounded. 

So the flow of the song was quite unexpected.  It's just so well-executed.  It's another of those songs that starts out rather deceptively, and for the first minute and a half I thought it might remain calm all the way through.  The entrance of the toms at 1:30 was serendipitous, but even when they had a few bar solo break at 1:50 for some reason I still was not anticipating how much energy the song would have later.  These are some of the better-recorded toms I've heard, and despite sounding like cannons, they don't feel out of place with the softer elements somehow.  4:57 when the ride is brought in during the solo is really when everything explodes, and I'm kind of still marveling at how much ground they'd covered by that point in the song. 

The guitar work is quite nice as well.  It's mostly rhythmic and textural, even during the solo, but it's quite effective, with the vocals and violin providing more than enough of melodic interest elsewhere.  0:52 is a delightful reversed guitar effect, the first in the roulette, I believe.  The harmonics in the bit at 1:10 are nice as well.  The tone in the chorus at 1:30 is surprisingly full and warm. 

The violin in a number of spots, but especially in the solo at 2:22, really adds a lot.  It has a surprisingly dark tone at first that I almost pondered if maybe I was hearing viola or even cello, though the higher range later on gives it away.  Of course, there is another Kingfisher Sky parallel (though they have cello). 

The vocals are really pleasant as well.  Sometimes vocalise, like in a few spots here such as 0:08 and 1:10, can come off as trite, but in ideal circumstances, like here, they blend as an additional instrument.  I also dig the panned delay on them at 4:42, it's more of the sort of part you'd find on an electronic track, but it adds additional panache here. 

I suppose this shares the most DNA with my first and third songs.  The latter cut turned out to be critical, with the full band feel, because with the first two having no real band or drumming propulsion behind them, the risk was excluding songs like this one.  Maybe you'd have come up with it anyway, but it certainly opened the door for it.  I'm going to need to check out Enchant now, and also The Wishing Tree, which has the same nucleus, plus two Marillion members, to tie together two of the rounds. 

Score:  8.5

Nice! So Enchant are pretty different than this, more a Rush/DT type neo-prog group, but they are one of my favorite bands. Steve Rothery from Marillion produced their debut album and when he put together his side project The Wishing Tree he essentially found/recruited Hannah Stobart to sing on it and then had Paul Craddick from Enchant do the drums. They ended up getting married and more or less dropped out of the music world aside from this Rocket Moth album and one other The Wishing Tree album (Hannah also sang a track on the one Sound of Contact album). It’s a shame because this album was brilliant, but I don’t think many people heard it or even knew they mad an album together. There was some talk a little while back of them writing some songs for a follow up, but who knows if/when it will happen.

Rocket Moth are much closer to The Wishing Tree than Enchant, and I think you would at least enjoy those two Wishing Tree albums. Definitely check out Enchant too if you get a chance (my favorite is Break, but the debut is a good place to start).

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1294 on: February 16, 2023, 08:33:19 PM »
Eh, still middle of the pack given how good this round was, but I'll take the 8! :lol Give that whole EP a listen (though at 39 minutes it might as well be an album), it's only four songs and all of them are quite good.

I have already sent. :biggrin:

BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1