Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!!)  (Read 49113 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (submissions due 11/26)
« Reply #280 on: November 15, 2022, 08:42:17 AM »
There are no female singers in my list.

So do I need to list the one female singer that should be on EVERYONE'S list?  :) :) :) :)
Ann Wilson?  Pat Benatar?  Patsy Cline?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #281 on: November 15, 2022, 09:02:49 AM »
I had 4-5 women I considered for my list, some of whom might have made a top 50, but I really just don’t listen to music with female singers that much, and there aren’t any women who have impacted me the way the other singers on my list have. I am starting to listen to more the last few years, but it would have been disingenuous and a bit patronizing if I had put any of them on just to say I had a female vocalist on my list.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #282 on: November 15, 2022, 09:17:16 AM »

So do I need to list the one female singer that should be on EVERYONE'S list?  :) :) :) :)

(I really don't want to promote the idea that I'm trying to influence others, but I did have a singer in mind, and she's in that list.)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #283 on: November 15, 2022, 09:49:43 AM »
Note to WildRanger Stadler:  There is NO singer who SHOULD BE on anyone's (much less everyone's) list.   :)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #284 on: November 15, 2022, 11:03:33 AM »

(I really don't want to promote the idea that I'm trying to influence others, but I did have a singer in mind, and she's in that list.)

Hey, this whole forum is about the idea of influencing others about stuff to check out.  It's just unlikely anyone is going to be swayed on an absolute favorites list like this.  But maybe you'll gin up a groundswell of Elvis appreciation at some point.  :)  Ann Wilson would probably make my top 100, but the only honorable mentions I have from the 70s are Freddie Mercury and Klaus Meine. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #285 on: November 15, 2022, 12:05:20 PM »
I hope that at the end of the rankings, Kev is a good enough chap to list all of the singers that didn't make the final rankings, and that people check out as many of them as possible, regardless of genre. 

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #286 on: November 15, 2022, 12:15:15 PM »

None of those singers were even briefly considered by me.  Not even in consideration for an honorable mention on either a "favorite 25" or "best 25" list as far as I'm concerned.  One of the three might be allowed to hang out in the basement if we were doing a top 50. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #287 on: November 15, 2022, 01:25:16 PM »
Note to WildRanger Stadler:  There is NO singer who SHOULD BE on anyone's (much less everyone's) list.   :)

I would imagine the diversity of this is probably lightyears beyond a favorite song countdown from a limited sample size.  Just for kicks I googled a top 50 singer list and that particular one had Mick Jagger at #1.  He wouldn't even make my list since I'm not a Rolling Stones fan.  The more I think about it, the more difficult a category like this seems to be.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #288 on: November 15, 2022, 01:27:36 PM »
List submitted

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #289 on: November 15, 2022, 01:32:01 PM »
I definitely should've spent more time on my list, but it is what it is, and I don't envy Kev doing all this work.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #290 on: November 15, 2022, 01:33:36 PM »
I definitely should've spent more time on my list, but it is what it is, and I don't envy Kev doing all this work.

Same.  I'm just hoping the one that I omitted makes the final list.  I would consider her one of THE most talented singers in modern metal, and while I know that she is known here, I don't have a sense for how popular she is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #291 on: November 15, 2022, 01:34:52 PM »

Same.  I'm just hoping the one that I omitted makes the final list.  I would consider her one of THE most talented singers in modern metal, and while I know that she is known here, I don't have a sense for how popular she is.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #292 on: November 15, 2022, 01:37:13 PM »
Yes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #293 on: November 15, 2022, 01:40:15 PM »
 :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #294 on: November 15, 2022, 01:42:17 PM »

:facepalm:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #295 on: November 15, 2022, 01:52:12 PM »

:facepalm:

:lol

For some reason, I now want to hear a version of The Alien with Patsy Cline singing (even though the very little bit of Patsy Cline I have heard makes me physically ill).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

« Reply #296 on: November 15, 2022, 01:57:45 PM »
I don't know who Patsy Cline is.  I think Ann Wilson has a great voice but I think I've only heard a couple songs.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #297 on: November 15, 2022, 02:01:51 PM »
Been trying hard to get a female vocalist into my top 25 but when it comes to favourites I just can't get there. Of course there are some amazing female vocalists, I actually think Stevie Nicks would be fairly close for me but like anyone not on my list, her musical output just hasn't impacted my musical journey and that is my very first consideration when putting this list together.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #298 on: November 15, 2022, 02:03:06 PM »
I'm still not sure why everyone is being so coy about naming particular vocalists.  By the time the results roll around no one's going to bother going back through this thread, so there won't be any resolution to some of these cryptic discussions.  I can see not posting full lists just yet, but to withhold specific random names seems odd to me. 

I don't know who Patsy Cline is.

Old-school country/pop singer. 

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #299 on: November 15, 2022, 02:13:23 PM »
I'm still not sure why everyone is being so coy about naming particular vocalists.  By the time the results roll around no one's going to bother going back through this thread, so there won't be any resolution to some of these cryptic discussions.  I can see not posting full lists just yet, but to withhold specific random names seems odd to me. 

Exactly, hands up who else has Fat Mike on their list.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: November 15, 2022, 02:45:04 PM »

Not me  :lol I do have 2 punk rock singers on my list.  Most punk rock singers just aren't my favorites though.

I'm sure no one else has Noah Sebastian on their list, and I wouldn't of until this year. Guy may be the reason why I'll likely rate their newest album my favorite of the year and maybe my favorite new band discovery of recent years.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #301 on: November 15, 2022, 02:47:29 PM »

Not me  :lol I do have 2 punk rock singers on my list.  Most punk rock singers just aren't my favorites though.

Will I be able to guess your two punk vocalists pretty easily?

I've got 4 punk vocalists on my list  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: November 15, 2022, 02:52:09 PM »
I think so, I'm pretty sure you know who they are

Offline pg1067

« Reply #303 on: November 15, 2022, 03:35:49 PM »

I have no clue who that is, but my mind formed a picture of a 300-pound Mike Portnoy and it wasn't pretty.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #304 on: November 15, 2022, 03:42:40 PM »

I have no clue who that is, but my mind formed a picture of a 300-pound Mike Portnoy and it wasn't pretty.

You have no idea...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #305 on: November 15, 2022, 03:54:21 PM »

Okay. this made me LOL for real.

If you've already entered mine, I'll just let it ride.  I was hoping maybe you weren't entering them yet.  I don't want to create extra work and be the exception.  But thanks for offering.

Okay, cool.  :tup :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: November 15, 2022, 11:09:29 PM »
My list is fairly pedestrian, and I believe all participants should know every single name on my list, with the possible exception of one, who people might recognize only if they are reminded for what he is most famous for.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #307 on: November 16, 2022, 12:11:41 AM »
My list is fairly pedestrian, and I believe all participants should know every single name on my list, with the possible exception of one, who people might recognize only if they are reminded for what he is most famous for.
Are you going to Rick Roll us?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: November 16, 2022, 05:10:07 AM »
Tiny Tim?😉
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #309 on: November 16, 2022, 09:55:35 AM »
Are you going to Rick Roll us?

Crap!  I knew I forgot someone!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #310 on: November 16, 2022, 10:13:13 AM »
I traded lists with one other Fogey, albeit a much older Fogey :P, and we had only 4 people in common, though we had one of them at the same spot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: November 16, 2022, 11:27:32 AM »
I traded lists with one other Fogey, albeit a much older Fogey :P, and we had only 4 people in common, though we had one two of them at the same spot.

FTFY :D
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #312 on: November 16, 2022, 11:35:22 AM »
I traded lists with one other Fogey, albeit a much older Fogey :P, and we had only 4 people in common, though we had one two of them at the same spot.

FTFY :D

Oh shoot. You're right. Isn't that weird? Er..not weird that you're right.. ;D  but weird in that we only matched 4 people and have two of them ranked in the exact same spot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #313 on: November 16, 2022, 12:48:51 PM »
I think there will be about five or six mainstays in the top-25. The rest will be an eclectic bunch.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #314 on: November 16, 2022, 12:51:03 PM »
I traded lists with one other Fogey, albeit a much older Fogey :P, and we had only 4 people in common, though we had one of them at the same spot.

I can guarantee you and I have at least one in common (my #14 and I bet you have him higher).  I'm also pretty sure you have a guy whom I didn't even consider.