Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 59936 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #1225 on: May 21, 2024, 02:19:02 PM »
I'm actually NOT a Jennifer Lawrence fan, and yet, I liked that movie a lot.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1226 on: May 21, 2024, 02:21:32 PM »
I'm actually NOT a Jennifer Lawrence fan, and yet, I liked that movie a lot.

No desire to see it, and also not a fan, but I liked her in Silver Linings Playbook and Mother!.

Never saw Hunger Games but saw her in a number of other things and I just do not see the appeal other than the same reason(s) people love Sydney Sweeny.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1227 on: May 21, 2024, 02:41:35 PM »
No desire to see it, and also not a fan, but I liked her in Silver Linings Playbook and Mother!.

Never saw Hunger Games but saw her in a number of other things and I just do not see the appeal other than the same reason(s) people love Sydney Sweeny.

Although I'm not terribly familiar with Sydney Sweeny, I think I understand and agree.  Not really my thing. 

EDIT: I just watched the SNL where she hosted.  I mean, there were some skits where she's actually a decent actress. There were ALSO some skits where it's pretty clear why she may be getting opportunities that others are not (and in fact, one skit addressed that actual point). 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 06:20:11 AM by Stadler »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1228 on: May 22, 2024, 10:22:56 AM »

mother! Was excellent.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1229 on: May 22, 2024, 10:41:10 AM »
mother! Was excellent.

My favorite director and one of the best movies of this century so far.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1230 on: May 22, 2024, 10:42:19 AM »
My favorite director and one of the best movies of this century so far.

One of my favorite directors too. Not best movie, or even by him, but still great. Wish it wasn't marketed as a typical horror movie. People were really disappointed when they saw it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1231 on: May 22, 2024, 10:46:16 AM »
One of my favorite directors too. Not best movie, or even by him, but still great. Wish it wasn't marketed as a typical horror movie. People were really disappointed when they saw it.

I had no idea what to expect and watched it a few times to grasp it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1232 on: May 22, 2024, 10:49:01 AM »
I had no idea what to expect and watched it a few times to grasp it.

Yea. I tried to go in blind. I saw the marketing and was really hoping it wasn't the generic horror movie the marketing made it seem like, and I was correct. Though I was also went in skeptical because I really didn't like Noah.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1233 on: May 22, 2024, 12:02:43 PM »
One of my favorite directors too. Not best movie, or even by him, but still great.

I agree. The Fountain is probably his best movie, and also my favorite movie of all time.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1234 on: May 22, 2024, 12:28:11 PM »
I agree. The Fountain is probably his best movie, and also my favorite movie of all time.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1235 on: May 22, 2024, 12:33:03 PM »
I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

It's a wild, fantastic movie.

It's hard to pick a best Aranofsky one. Requiem for a Dream is one of his best for sure, but I really thought The Wrestler was maybe his best from a purely emotional perspective.

Also Black Swan is amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1236 on: May 22, 2024, 01:47:26 PM »
As a huge fan of Darren Aronofsky's movies, I second the Black Swan, Wrestler and Fountain recs. I love ALL his movies, I did a re-watch of all his movies a few months back and was engrossed and entertained at various levels by them all.

Pi is the only one that is a bit rough around the edges but still a great watch. I'm probably one of the few that loves Noah. His last one The Whale was excellent and a bit different from his usual cinematic movies, which I read was intentionally made to feel like a play. I too don't have a favorite one but I'm very partial to Black Swan, it's so hauntingly beautiful.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

« Reply #1237 on: May 22, 2024, 01:49:25 PM »
As a huge fan of Darren Aronofsky's movies, I second the Black Swan, Wrestler and Fountain recs. I love ALL his movies, I did a re-watch of all his movies a few months back and was engrossed and entertained at various levels by them all.

Pi is the only one that is a bit rough around the edges but still a great watch. I'm probably one of the few that loves Noah. His last one The Whale was excellent and a bit different from his usual cinematic movies, which I read was intentionally made to feel like a play. I too don't have a favorite one but I'm very partial to Black Swan, it's so hauntingly beautiful.

Totally forgot about The Whale.

Honestly, I kind of wish he did a bit more on that one, strictly from a visual perspective. I loved the story, the acting, the general direction, etc. But visually it just kind of lacked....something. I know it was intentional, but I just didn't connect with that decision of his. It's like getting John Petrucci to play a pentatonic solo in 4/4.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1238 on: May 24, 2024, 05:08:17 PM »
MI:7. I’ve been noticing on these flicks that people can be kicked and punched in the face multiple times, have their heads bounced off concrete walls and iron railings, and still not have a mark on them 5 minutes later.  :D

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1239 on: May 24, 2024, 09:41:28 PM »
Just came back from Furiosa, fantastic prequel to Fury Road. It's got a different tone and more story driven but it was still so good. Excellent cinematography and music as was to be expected, really need to do a rewatch in Dolby. Stunts were excellent, acting was top notch. Chris Hemsworth was having way too much fun. I think this is a prequel done right, did some fan service but still told a great backstory and can nicely stand on its own.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1240 on: May 25, 2024, 11:08:05 AM »
Son of Sam, a bit long but quite fascinating, the 1970s were a great time for cinema (I mean, the movie is from 1999, it's the setting itself that is very fascinating).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1241 on: May 25, 2024, 02:41:21 PM »
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse. It's actually just not okay how good this movie is.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1242 on: May 25, 2024, 10:38:27 PM »
Atlas. (J-Lo).

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1243 on: May 25, 2024, 10:39:02 PM »
Vampire’s Kiss (1988):

Fucking awesome! Gotta love Nic Cage.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1244 on: May 26, 2024, 04:47:27 AM »
Le Mans '66, Jason Bourne and Bruce Wayne work to build a racing car for Ford in order to beat Ferrari.

It was a nice movie but, just like Sons of Sam, is too long at 2h30'. Do all movies nowadays need to be super long? the more you're adulting the less free time you have and it's starting to become unnerving to find a not overly long movie to watch.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1245 on: May 26, 2024, 06:11:25 AM »
Atlas. (J-Lo).

How was it?  I was considering dedicating some time to this.

Also, saw Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes in the theatre yesterday.  Good flick.  interesting twists to portray Proximus and Mae as both antagonists and secondary protagonists.  Jingle.son thought the final scene calls back to something about a mission to Mars that was made mention in 'Rise', but I don't remember that. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1246 on: May 26, 2024, 08:01:10 AM »
Le Mans '66, Jason Bourne and Bruce Wayne work to build a racing car for Ford in order to beat Ferrari.

It was a nice movie but, just like Sons of Sam, is too long at 2h30'. Do all movies nowadays need to be super long? the more you're adulting the less free time you have and it's starting to become unnerving to find a not overly long movie to watch.

I understand the issue, but on the other hand I am usually encouraged by a long runtime. It's often an indicator that the movie is actually good. I am always discouraged when I see that a movie (or at least a big like summer movie) is like 1:40 long, because I just know that the studio likely realizes that it isn't any good and demanded it be cut down short to fit more theater screenings in a day so that they can at least squeeze as much money out of it as possible.

It's not always the case of course, but I often take a long runtime as a sign of quality or at least creative faith in the project from the people calling the shots.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: May 26, 2024, 09:42:12 AM »
We watched Annie (1982) last night, or at least my wife and 6 year old did. When Rooster (Tim Curry) came on, my kid said "he looks familiar." I asked her about it, and she started rambling about a bunch of guys in a big old house... and I eventually figured out she remembered him from Clue. I love my kids.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1248 on: May 26, 2024, 03:32:04 PM »
Atlas. (J-Lo).

I too....like Chad....was/am considering watching this. I'm a sucker for Sci Fi. But, I am very suspicious of it.....it has all the makings of being a large turd.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1249 on: May 26, 2024, 03:37:04 PM »
How was it?  I was considering dedicating some time to this.

Also, saw Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes in the theatre yesterday.  Good flick.  interesting twists to portray Proximus and Mae as both antagonists and secondary protagonists.  Jingle.son thought the final scene calls back to something about a mission to Mars that was made mention in 'Rise', but I don't remember that.

I like J-Lo's character but honestly its just another dystopian AI flick. It's "entertaining" but cookie cutter.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1250 on: May 26, 2024, 03:38:49 PM »
I too....like Chad....was/am considering watching this. I'm a sucker for Sci Fi. But, I am very suspicious of it.....it has all the makings of being a large turd.

If you're into the AI taking over the world action movies, its entertaining but regurgitated. J-Lo is fun to watch but its meh.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1251 on: May 27, 2024, 04:50:40 AM »
I like J-Lo's character but honestly its just another dystopian AI flick. It's "entertaining" but cookie cutter.

That's what I was figuring ... I'll probably bypass it.  Got too much other stuff in the queue that actually doesn't look cookie cutter.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1252 on: May 27, 2024, 06:42:00 AM »
saw Furiosa last night. It wasn't up to the glory of Fury Road but boy was that an extremely fun movie. The "Stowaway to Nowhere" sequence was otherworldly
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1253 on: May 27, 2024, 04:40:39 PM »
Also saw Furiosa. I liked it but overall I was disappointed as I had high expectations. Fury Road is an absolute masterpiece and I was hoping Furiosa would capture the same magic but it didn't for me. I think it highlighted how hard it is to make a great prequel while also getting a bit too bogged down at times. There was still some great action though but the stakes of the action felt low throughout.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1254 on: May 27, 2024, 08:36:01 PM »
I Care A Lot..  (Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage). A must see in my opinion.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1255 on: May 28, 2024, 07:27:44 AM »
I Saw The TV Glow.

5/5 no notes
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1256 on: May 28, 2024, 02:25:24 PM »
Ocean's Eleven. Hadn't seen this one for a long time. A real fun classic movie. Although something I haven't noticed before is that they really fumble the Tess-storyline at the end.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1257 on: May 28, 2024, 03:09:14 PM »
The George Clooney version?  If so, I'm confused by your comment.  How did they fumble the Tess storyline?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: May 28, 2024, 06:07:18 PM »
I don't recall it being a fumble either, but I found it to be the least interesting subplot so if it was fumbled maybe I just didn't care.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1259 on: May 28, 2024, 06:46:38 PM »
Trying to complete watching Emily The Criminal and Bones And All.

Both films are great so far, can’t wait to finish them.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .