Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 103013 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: 2022 NFL Thread
« Reply #2485 on: January 19, 2023, 10:07:54 AM »
A lot of people want to see Brady gone.  Just like a lot of people want to see Dallas gone.  What's the big mystery?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline emtee

« Reply #2486 on: January 19, 2023, 10:14:45 AM »
Haha. A few more pics and we will have our version of the Jennifer Aniston thread from MP's old forum.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2487 on: January 19, 2023, 10:28:33 AM »
2 great defenses.  Which offense can make no errors will win that game.
I'm not ready to make a call yet, but the more I think about it the more I like Dallas. Simply put, I like Dallas's offense against SF's D more than I like Purdy against Dallas's D. I really like Brock Purdy, the kid's done remarkably well, but he hasn't been tested yet, and he did seem a little flustered against a lesser defense. The only real reason to pick against Dallas is the expectation that they'll choke, and while that's certainly a distinct possibility, it's not really a good thing to bet on. If Dallas plays their game they win this.

Either way I don't expect a "slaughter."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online faizoff

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2489 on: January 19, 2023, 11:07:29 AM »
I think it will play out similarly to the Seattle game, where SF jumps out to an early lead, Dallas claws back, and then SF turns it up a notch and puts the beatdown on them.  But I think a final score of around 31-20 is more likely than the 41-23 we got last week. 

My picks this week:
-Jax @ KC:  Sorry, but I'm not giving the Jags much of a chance. 
-NYG @ Phi:  I think the Giants will stun the Eagles, but I wouldn't be shocked if I'm wrong.
-Cin @ Buff:  This was basically a coin flip for me. 
-Dal @ SF:  If I were to go position by position, there are very few where I think it is arguable whether SF has more talent.  And for the majority, SF clearly does.  Add in better coaching as well, and unless there are a lot of unforced errors, Dallas winning doesn't make any sense.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2491 on: January 19, 2023, 11:31:50 AM »
Leftwich fired as the OC of Tampa.

There's been no official word yet.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2023/01/17/bucs-todd-bowles-byron-leftwich-tom-brady-cowboys-offseason-2023/

It's official now  ;)

If it leaks it's 99.99% truth.

He's a fall guy.  One year ago, he was supposedly at the top of many lists to be a head coach around the league; either the intel was wrong and this is his true ability (I'm not buying it) or the team fears eating egg for the IMO disastrous hire of Todd Bowles. 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2492 on: January 19, 2023, 12:09:19 PM »
Haha. A few more pics and we will have our version of the Jennifer Aniston thread from MP's old forum.

One of the best threads on the old forum!  ;D ;)
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2493 on: January 19, 2023, 12:44:33 PM »
Leftwich fired as the OC of Tampa.

There's been no official word yet.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2023/01/17/bucs-todd-bowles-byron-leftwich-tom-brady-cowboys-offseason-2023/

It's official now  ;)

If it leaks it's 99.99% truth.

He's a fall guy.  One year ago, he was supposedly at the top of many lists to be a head coach around the league; either the intel was wrong and this is his true ability (I'm not buying it) or the team fears eating egg for the IMO disastrous hire of Todd Bowles. 

With the talent the Bucs had on their roster, the coaching staff completely failed the team. Bowles, Leftwich the whole lot just didn't work out like they did under Arians. Bowles might be a good defensive coordinator but head coach he isn't.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2494 on: January 19, 2023, 01:16:22 PM »

Why DON'T we have one of those here?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2495 on: January 19, 2023, 02:15:59 PM »
I can remember a game just last weekend when it didn't make much sense that the Jags would pull off the win with 5 turnovers and down 27 points at the half, but they still won.  What does make sense is that any team can win on any given day in this league.  The amount of talent only matters up to a certain point in which execution and discipline have to take over.

2 great defenses.  Which offense can make no errors will win that game.
I'm not ready to make a call yet, but the more I think about it the more I like Dallas. Simply put, I like Dallas's offense against SF's D more than I like Purdy against Dallas's D. I really like Brock Purdy, the kid's done remarkably well, but he hasn't been tested yet, and he did seem a little flustered against a lesser defense. The only real reason to pick against Dallas is the expectation that they'll choke, and while that's certainly a distinct possibility, it's not really a good thing to bet on. If Dallas plays their game they win this.

Either way I don't expect a "slaughter."

This seems to me like uncharted territory for both teams.  They're both facing the most difficult opponent so far and that's the way it should be in the playoffs.  Not surprised at all that it's the game of the week.  Difficult to call.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2496 on: January 20, 2023, 10:03:50 AM »
Side topic since we're bashing former Patriots: Anyone else feeling pretty averse to Gronk?

I can't stand his "humor", and he's been pretty uninspiring any time he's tried to say anything serious on a panel or as a commentator.

I really hope Gronk the TV analyst does not happen. 

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2497 on: January 20, 2023, 10:06:53 AM »
I would agree with that.  Gronk is a goofball.  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2498 on: January 20, 2023, 10:36:22 AM »
Not a fain, either. I don't like the way he left NE, and I find his commercials insufferable. As a TV analyst, the most I could see a network wanting to give him is part of a larger crew for a single broadcast, like what Fitzpatrick is doing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2499 on: January 20, 2023, 10:40:58 AM »
He's just to goofy to be an analyst.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2500 on: January 20, 2023, 11:34:38 AM »
I can't picture him being a successful analyst on network TV.  But this new media trend of current or former athletes doing podcasts and other Internet-based content is kind of a brave new world where I could see him maybe finding a niche.  For example, Draymond Green and Richard Sherman have podcasts (you can find them pretty easily on YouTube) that are mostly very good.  Both guys seem natural, and their perspectives and expertises shine though and make for interesting content.  For Sherman, I contrast that with his appearances on TNF, where he often seemed a bit too scripted, stiff, and unnatural.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2501 on: January 20, 2023, 11:38:07 AM »
I can't picture him being a successful analyst on network TV.  But this new media trend of current or former athletes doing podcasts and other Internet-based content is kind of a brave new world where I could see him maybe finding a niche.  For example, Draymond Green and Richard Sherman have podcasts (you can find them pretty easily on YouTube) that are mostly very good.  Both guys seem natural, and their perspectives and expertises shine though and make for interesting content.  For Sherman, I contrast that with his appearances on TNF, where he often seemed a bit too scripted, stiff, and unnatural.

There's no doubt in my mind Gronk has a place in social media or podcasts.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2502 on: January 20, 2023, 12:22:20 PM »
The "Purdy hasn't seen a defense like the Cowboys yet" narrative is interesting.  Yeah, he kinda has.  Depending on what criteria you use to rank them, the 49ers have played a few teams that rank close to the Cowboys.  But probably more importantly, as Fred Warner pointed out a few weeks ago, as the third string QB prior to climbing into the driver's seat, Purdy spent most of the season leading the practice squad against the starting 49ers defense in practice.  In other words, he spent countless hours each week playing against the #1 defense in the NFL.  And that #1 defense has had nothing but praise for him about how he would often light them up in practice.  As Warner said a few weeks ago, I think he'll be just fine.  This is nothing new.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2503 on: January 20, 2023, 12:25:44 PM »
Not a fain, either. I don't like the way he left NE, and I find his commercials insufferable. As a TV analyst, the most I could see a network wanting to give him is part of a larger crew for a single broadcast, like what Fitzpatrick is doing.

Me too; that lovable goofball, big but not that bright teddy bear thing is wearing really thin, really quickly.  I'm not really interested in that even in a larger group.   Bradshaw is about as close as I get to that; and he knows when to stick to football and be serious (for all the knocks on Bradshaw for being dumb, I think he's a GREAT analyst.)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2504 on: January 20, 2023, 09:26:00 PM »
The "Purdy hasn't seen a defense like the Cowboys yet" narrative is interesting.  Yeah, he kinda has.  Depending on what criteria you use to rank them, the 49ers have played a few teams that rank close to the Cowboys.  But probably more importantly, as Fred Warner pointed out a few weeks ago, as the third string QB prior to climbing into the driver's seat, Purdy spent most of the season leading the practice squad against the starting 49ers defense in practice.  In other words, he spent countless hours each week playing against the #1 defense in the NFL.  And that #1 defense has had nothing but praise for him about how he would often light them up in practice.  As Warner said a few weeks ago, I think he'll be just fine.  This is nothing new.

Your unbridled optimism really takes the edge of the innate nervousness I feel before a SF/Dallas playoff game.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2505 on: January 21, 2023, 07:38:19 AM »

Your unbridled optimism really takes the edge of the innate nervousness I feel before a SF/Dallas playoff game.

I think this game comes down to a little discussed intangible called toughness. SF can beat you up on both sides of the ball and last year Dallas wasn't ready for it - well - until the fourth qtr. This year, the Cowboys will come into the game ready for a street fight. I expect a tough hard fought game but I think it's going to be a higher scoring game to the tune of 30 to 23.

My gut tells me that Dallas is going to win but nothing in this league surprises me anymore.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2506 on: January 21, 2023, 09:12:10 AM »
I'm taking all four home teams this weekend, but three are iffy.  Is Hurts 'not', will the Bills abuse that replacement OL of the Bengals while Allen reduces his TOs, and will the penalty prone Cowboy team return?
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2507 on: January 21, 2023, 10:48:05 AM »
I expect close games all weekend, so I like all the dogs and the points.  Not sure I will end up betting any, but if I do, the Giants +7.5 is the one I will likely do.  I will decide shortly before game time.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2508 on: January 21, 2023, 12:08:58 PM »
Ok, this week I'm going with Buffalo, SF, Philly, and Jax

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2509 on: January 21, 2023, 01:49:56 PM »
Would love to play spoilers to the arch rival Eagles today, I just don't see it, Jones will need to have back to back best games of his career. Hopefully a good game regardless!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2510 on: January 21, 2023, 02:05:35 PM »
Would love to play spoilers to the arch rival Eagles today, I just don't see it, Jones will need to have back to back best games of his career. Hopefully a good game regardless!

I'm pulling for NY as well, I just don't see it happening. Little known lonestar fact, my last pro game I attended was a SF v Philly game at Candlestick. The Philly crowd were such assholes and the environment was such a drunken shit show that I decided it'd be my last pro game, and I've stuck to that

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2511 on: January 21, 2023, 03:08:39 PM »
Anybody remember when Donovan McNabb threw 4 touchdown passes on a broken ankle?
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2512 on: January 21, 2023, 03:37:29 PM »
I love how despondent Collinsworth sounded when Mahomes was getting checked and the Jags were driving.  His depression over things not going the Chiefs way (at the time) was so obvious.

Then of course, the Chiefs drive 98 for a score with the backup.  Nice work, Jags D.  :lol :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2513 on: January 21, 2023, 04:01:14 PM »
You mean the drive that was ‘a borderline miracle?’  Just shut the eff up.

His hyperbole (along with so many others) is why I do my best to tune these guys out, or listen with
the volume as low as possible
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2514 on: January 21, 2023, 04:35:18 PM »
2nd quarter: Jags get a good, clean hit on Henne as he is literally throwing the ball.  15 yard penalty for touching the QB (they called it roughing the QB). Leads to a KC TD.

3rd quarter: Chiefs get a good, clean hit on Lawrence as he is throwing the ball.  No flag.  Leads to a punt.

I guess the officials got the word from the league that they need Mahomes playing next week, by hook or by crook.

Note: I don't actually think the league told the officials that, but crap like that sure does look fishy.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2515 on: January 21, 2023, 05:03:40 PM »
Officiating has been absolutely awful this postseason thus far.
They just need to start having New York reviewing all big plays/penalties.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2516 on: January 21, 2023, 05:07:46 PM »
Update: it has been confirmed by insiders that Cris Collinsworth wants to have Patrick Mahomes next baby, and the word is that he wants to tell Patrick himself in person before telling the public in those exact words (if today's slurping hasn't made it obvious already).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2517 on: January 21, 2023, 06:15:21 PM »

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2518 on: January 21, 2023, 06:59:48 PM »
Update: it has been confirmed by insiders that Cris Collinsworth wants to have Patrick Mahomes next baby, and the word is that he wants to tell Patrick himself in person before telling the public in those exact words (if today's slurping hasn't made it obvious already).

No kidding. Just brutal to have to listen to……it’s so over the top. Too bad that kid fumbled that pass…..the Jags were poised to upset them.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2519 on: January 21, 2023, 07:21:25 PM »
Meanwhile, I guess Philly used their bye week well.  After looking shaky in the last month of the season, even when Hurts was playing, they look tonight like the team we saw from September through November.  If they are on their game next week, it will be a tall order for Dallas or SF to win there.