Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 103006 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (R.I.P. NFL)
« Reply #1260 on: October 30, 2022, 01:29:10 PM »
Mac Jones ain't great but Zach Wilson is a disaster. That headband makes him look even more like a pussy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1261 on: October 30, 2022, 01:35:43 PM »
I'd rather have Russell Wilson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1262 on: October 30, 2022, 01:39:18 PM »
That ain't saying much.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1263 on: October 30, 2022, 01:45:46 PM »
Nope but if this is how it's going to be I would not mind them putting out some serious draft capital for a veteran. The rookies on this team are way too good to be anchored to a failure.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1264 on: October 30, 2022, 02:04:48 PM »
It’s always the same.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1265 on: October 30, 2022, 02:53:08 PM »
what an insane ending to falcons/panthers

falcons division leaders at 4-4 lmao

RISE UP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: October 30, 2022, 03:32:33 PM »
I can't believe the guy took his helmet off and basically cost them the game after that hail Mary.  :lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1267 on: October 30, 2022, 03:47:30 PM »
It’s always the same.

No way, even if we lose the next two games, which is likely, we are still going in to be a .500 team on Thanksgiving day. That's right, the worst case scenario for the Jets is going into December a team that is still in the Wild Card hunt. When is the last time we have known that as Jets fans? It has been a long time, at least since 2015. It's not the same, the clown car ever is officially over, even if the team totally collapses the building blocks for it an actual football organization have been set.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1268 on: October 30, 2022, 04:19:20 PM »
Another one score win for the Vikings. I'll give them credit for finding a way to win, but I still have no confidence in them going far in the playoffs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1269 on: October 30, 2022, 04:47:59 PM »
Doofus McDaniels' Raiders get shut out by a Saints defense that had given up 132 points in their previous four games.  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1270 on: October 30, 2022, 08:00:40 PM »
So is it true about the rumblings that Russell Wilson is a total diva? I heard that he has an office as a requirement of his contract?

Is he THAT much of a dick?
Don't know if he's a dick or not. Not my kind of guy, really, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

I also wouldn't say he's a dick. His personal life coach and close friend died last year* and it appears that really altered his course.

*he went to school with a good friend of mine, who spoke very highly of him. I met him on a couple occasions; his father was also a life coach/motivational speaker who worked in my area. Once as a kid I went to a basketball camp he worked at.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1271 on: October 31, 2022, 08:46:51 AM »
Funny thing is, the very qualities that are driving her away from him were probably the same ones that attracted her to him in the beginning and for many years after. Hell of a thing, eh?
And were quite possibly qualities she possessed, as well. Being a supermodel ain't easy.

She had to grow resentful because she gave up her career and he will not.

This is something that I feel like a lot of people are ignoring. She made more money as a supermodel than Tom ever made as a quarterback, and she gave it all up to raise their family, but he’s not willing to do the same for her.

Eh, I am on Brady's side there.  If she gave up her career, that was her choice.  She knew he was a football player when she met and married him, so expecting him to retire before he is ready is unfair, and the minute you start throwing out "retire or I'll divorce you" ultimatums, it's pretty much done anyway.

And honestly, at that level, I don't think it's about the money at all.  WE think it is, because we don't have it, but like Phil Simms said of Belichick - "It amazes me how much he loves the PROCESS, even after all these years.  He STILL LOVES the draft. He LOVES training camp.  He just loves FOOTBALL."   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: October 31, 2022, 08:49:19 AM »
So is it true about the rumblings that Russell Wilson is a total diva? I heard that he has an office as a requirement of his contract?

Don't know if he's a dick or not. Not my kind of guy, really, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. What's wrong with having an office, though? He should have an office, and I'd make the team pay for a secretary/personal assistant, too.

Phillip Rivers "demanded" an SUV equipped with satellite technology and a workspace in the back seat so he could watch film and study on his two-hour (whatever) drive to and from the stadium each day.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: October 31, 2022, 08:53:04 AM »
Mac Jones ain't great but Zach Wilson is a disaster. That headband makes him look even more like a pussy.

Or Corey Feldman.  Oops, sorry, ninja'd by TAC.   :) : )

By the way, for all the celebrating about the "new Jets", if they lose to Buffalo - and they will - and Pats beat Indy - which they should - then they are tied in the division.   

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1274 on: October 31, 2022, 08:56:54 AM »

Don't know if he's a dick or not. Not my kind of guy, really, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. What's wrong with having an office, though? He should have an office, and I'd make the team pay for a secretary/personal assistant, too.

Phillip Rivers "demanded" an SUV equipped with satellite technology and a workspace in the back seat so he could watch film and study on his two-hour (whatever) drive to and from the stadium each day.
Perfectly reasonable. A new Cadillac for each game is frivolous. Something that makes you professional life easier to manage is a fine thing to ask for (and I'd happily give the guy a car with an office in the back). If you're negotiating a contract worth 100 million you can probably expect some perks to be flying about, I reckon.

I was reading a few weeks ago about a contentious contract negotiation with Leonard Nimoy between the first and second season of TOS. One of the "demands" was an office with a secretary. Didn't make a lot of sense at first, but it turns out the guy was getting 500 fan mail letters a week, and was spending a big chunk of time doing public appearances on behalf of the network. Suddenly it seemed quite reasonable (and the network was happy to provide it). That's what made me ask about RW. Given the number of appearances he's on the hook for, and that does benefit the team, it makes perfect sense.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1275 on: October 31, 2022, 09:05:29 AM »
That Panthers game was the most Panthers it could have been.  SMH
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: October 31, 2022, 09:32:09 AM »

I loved the guy seemingly trying to put Moore's helmet back on (or at least keep him from taking it off).   I mean, not for a Carolina fan, but generally, that's hilarious.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1277 on: October 31, 2022, 12:03:15 PM »

I loved the guy seemingly trying to put Moore's helmet back on (or at least keep him from taking it off).   I mean, not for a Carolina fan, but generally, that's hilarious.
Ruined an unbelievable pass from PJ Walker, too.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1278 on: November 01, 2022, 11:18:02 AM »
Another one score win for the Vikings. I'll give them credit for finding a way to win, but I still have no confidence in them going far in the playoffs.

I'm with you, but I have a good friend whose a lifelong Bills fan and has wanted to see a Vikings vs Bills Super Bowl, so then finally 1 of them will have won a Title.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1279 on: November 01, 2022, 12:45:14 PM »
Sheesh, the Steelers just traded Claypool to the Bears. Sucks. Guy is a freakish talent but they couldn't get him the ball and now they have Pickens, so . . .

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1280 on: November 02, 2022, 05:22:14 PM »
Kev, can we do a top 25 NFL teams ranking thread sometime soon?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1281 on: November 03, 2022, 07:41:43 AM »
Kev, can we do a top 25 NFL teams ranking thread sometime soon?
:lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1282 on: November 03, 2022, 10:06:51 AM »
Sheesh, the Steelers just traded Claypool to the Bears. Sucks. Guy is a freakish talent but they couldn't get him the ball and now they have Pickens, so . . .
Well at least the Bears have a good bass player now.  🤪
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1283 on: November 03, 2022, 11:04:27 AM »
Trap game for the Eagirls tonight.  Well...not really.  :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1284 on: November 03, 2022, 11:12:45 AM »
No, not really at all.  :lol  Hope they lose, but I'm not seeing it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1285 on: November 03, 2022, 11:18:23 AM »
Looking forward to seeing how the '9ers play in their next 2 games after the bye.  I am tempted to overreact after the HUGE win over the Rams, added to the fact that they will have almost all of their injured starters back for the first time.  But even though all signs point in a positive direction, I don't want to prematurely overreact.  Those first two games should be a good indicator of where the season will go.  If they go well, I don't think it is overstating the case to predict them as division winners, probable #2 or #3 seed, and serious SB contender.  If not, their floor is probably a low wildcard spot and early out from the playoffs. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1286 on: November 03, 2022, 01:02:04 PM »
Ray Guy RIP..

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1287 on: November 03, 2022, 01:47:16 PM »
Ray Guy RIP..

If you asked me to name 10 punters, he's the only one I would, with absolutely certainty, remember (and I'm not sure I could actually think of 10).  Absolute legend.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1288 on: November 03, 2022, 04:17:09 PM »
A quick google of Super Bowl XI, that Oakland won over Minnesota 32-14, and which, of course

The Raiders took the opening kickoff and advanced all the way to the Vikings’ 12-yard line, but came up empty after kicker Errol Mann hit the left upright on his 29-yard field goal attempt. Later in the quarter, after the teams exchanged punts, the Vikings had a great opportunity to score, when linebacker Fred McNeill blocked a punt from Ray Guy and recovered the ball on the Raiders' 3-yard line. The Vikings' special teams unit was known for blocking kicks, but this was the first time it had happened to Guy. (He had only three of his punts blocked in his 14-year Pro Football Hall of Fame career.) However, two plays later, Minnesota running back Brent McClanahan fumbled the ball while being tackled by Raiders linebacker Phil Villapiano, and linebacker Willie Hall recovered the ball for Oakland.[10] The Raiders then marched 90 yards to the Vikings' 7-yard line, with a 35-yard run by Clarence Davis around left end from the Oakland 6-yard line breaking through Minnesota's front. On the drive's sixth play, quarterback Ken Stabler completed a 25-yard pass to tight end Dave Casper, with Casper breaking through what Stabler called "10 tackles."[7]

and

Although Guy rarely kicked for distance, his punts often left opposing offenses pinned deep in their own end of the field. The statistic for hang time was instituted in the NFL during his career, reportedly because of him.[12] Pro Football Hall of Fame historian Joe Horrigan once said of Guy, "He's the first punter you could look at and say: 'He won games.'"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Guy

and...

During the early part of his career, he was the Raiders' emergency QB, replacing kicker–quarterback George Blanda in this position.[16] He also occasionally did kickoffs for the Raiders because the aging Blanda no longer had great range.

The form this man had!!! 

I punted my freshman year of HS, would have my sophomore year except for a broken bone a week before opening week....   and this 'guy' ;) became one of my most admired pros when I could not continue on my junior year.  So gol damn envious of his talents. 

I also believe they changed the rules on kick coverage during his career, due to the length and height of his kicks.

Well deserved HOF induction.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1289 on: November 03, 2022, 04:26:21 PM »
It’s always the same.

No way, even if we lose the next two games, which is likely, we are still going in to be a .500 team on Thanksgiving day. That's right, the worst case scenario for the Jets is going into December a team that is still in the Wild Card hunt. When is the last time we have known that as Jets fans? It has been a long time, at least since 2015. It's not the same, the clown car ever is officially over, even if the team totally collapses the building blocks for it an actual football organization have been set.

I was more referencing their performance against the Patriots. No matter what the two teams’ records are, the Patriots have the Jets number. The first two years with Rex Ryan was the only time that the teams felt even. The Jets are better this year than they have been in the last ten years, but it just seems like they’ll never get the better of the Pats, although in three weeks maybe I’ll change my tune. For now though, we just have a beating at the hands of the Bills to look forward to.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1290 on: November 03, 2022, 05:17:04 PM »
A quick google of Super Bowl XI....

Gotta love Wikipedia.  The statement that "The statistic for hang time was instituted in the NFL during his career, reportedly because of him" is supported by a citation to this article:  https://southernmiss.com/news/2022/11/3/football-southern-miss-mourns-the-passing-of-golden-eagle-great-ray-guy.aspx .  That article's only reference to "hang time" is that Guy's "majestic punts helped coin the phrase 'hang time.'"  I did some googling and found nothing to support either the assertion in the Wikipedia article or the article cited by Wikipedia.  Also, as far as I can tell, hang time isn't an official NFL statistic:  https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/punts/2022/reg/all/puntingaverageyards/desc .  Last, during the time he played, he was among the all-time leaders in punting average and routinely punted 50+ yards.  It was his combination of distance and hang time that made him lethal, and the dude was a true weapon.

Also...

kicker Errol Mann hit the left upright on his 29-yard field goal attempt.

It's funny to remember how tenuous kicks that are now considered gimmes used to be.  Scott Norwood was shamed out of the league for missing a 47-yard kick, which even now isn't a gimme.  Back in the mid-70s, anything more than 25 yards was iffy.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: November 03, 2022, 05:45:41 PM »
A quick google of Super Bowl XI....

Gotta love Wikipedia.  The statement that "The statistic for hang time was instituted in the NFL during his career, reportedly because of him" is supported by a citation to this article:  https://southernmiss.com/news/2022/11/3/football-southern-miss-mourns-the-passing-of-golden-eagle-great-ray-guy.aspx .  That article's only reference to "hang time" is that Guy's "majestic punts helped coin the phrase 'hang time.'"  I did some googling and found nothing to support either the assertion in the Wikipedia article or the article cited by Wikipedia.  Also, as far as I can tell, hang time isn't an official NFL statistic:  https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/punts/2022/reg/all/puntingaverageyards/desc .  Last, during the time he played, he was among the all-time leaders in punting average and routinely punted 50+ yards.  It was his combination of distance and hang time that made him lethal, and the dude was a true weapon.

<snip>

Maybe they erred, I can agree on that.

But....  for those that weren't around at that time....  his form and the results were, can we say, ...'majestic'.  He had 'it'. :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1292 on: November 03, 2022, 06:17:44 PM »

I'm with you, but I have a good friend whose a lifelong Bills fan and has wanted to see a Vikings vs Bills Super Bowl, so then finally 1 of them will have won a Title.
It would be the Bills and then us Vikings fans would have no one to commiserate with.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1293 on: November 03, 2022, 06:53:40 PM »
Tonight is a good example of why the game being on Prime is annoying.

The Blues are on.

The World Series is on.

Even though the football game is a meh one, I'd like to check it out here and there...but I can't just flip to the stupid Prime for 30 seconds and flip back. 

Thus, I am not watching any of the football game.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1294 on: November 03, 2022, 06:56:25 PM »
Tonight is a good example of why the game being on Prime is annoying.

The Blues are on.

The World Series is on.

Even though the football game is a meh one, I'd like to check it out here and there...but I can't just flip to the stupid Prime for 30 seconds and flip back. 

Thus, I am not watching any of the football game.

This is 💯
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC