Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 102968 times)

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (R.I.P. NFL)
« Reply #1225 on: October 26, 2022, 07:29:50 AM »
The two NFC teams with future Hall of Fame QBs are now 3-4.  Crazy.  Hard to count either out since they both play in the weaker conference and neither in a strong division, but both have culpability in their teams being where they are. 

Meanwhile, the officiating just went in hard and dry on the Browns.  I never think games are fixed or any of that silliness, but the end of the Browns/Ravens game sure looked* like the fix was in

*it wasn't, but it just looked bad.

There were two big calls at the end:  the offensive PI (legit).  If you are talking of the motion on the FG attempt, the center certainly moved the ball and bobbed his head.  'That's what the call should have been.'  Not the confusing BS afterwards.  I'm not being a 'homer', as the Ravens had the same exact call made against them last year.  But, of course, the five yards meant nothing to Justin Tucker and his resulting attempt in that instance. ;) :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1226 on: October 27, 2022, 10:13:40 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYrrS95cuvk

Mike Florio as usual doing the best job in all the media of unpacking the recent Mike Evans controversy. Shady as hell. The NFL cooked up a story that Evans couldn't repeat with a straight face. Now I know why Evans never gets called for all the push-offs he does, and gets so may PI calls. Him, Gronk, and Michael Irvin were the 3 worst push-off artists of all time. Guess who got to play with 2 of them.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1227 on: October 27, 2022, 11:27:05 AM »

Mike Florio as usual doing the best job in all the media of unpacking the recent Mike Evans controversy. Shady as hell. The NFL cooked up a story that Evans couldn't repeat with a straight face. Now I know why Evans never gets called for all the push-offs he does, and gets so may PI calls. Him, Gronk, and Michael Irvin were the 3 worst push-off artists of all time. Guess who got to play with 2 of them.

What Leonard Fournette has to do with this conversation escapes me at the moment.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1228 on: October 27, 2022, 01:16:40 PM »
Don't know much about it, but it's exactly what I said a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure how you could be an NFL referee and not be a fan of the game, and thus many of the players. If he hit him up for an autograph I don't care. So long as there's no favoritism it doesn't matter to me (and yeah, I know, the whole thing is as rigged as WWE). As I also said, if it's clear that a ref is buddy-buddy with a player, he's probably going to come down on the other side when questions arise.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1229 on: October 27, 2022, 08:37:24 PM »

I have no clue what the real story is behind the Evans/officials thing, but I did think it was funny that no one mentioned how on the play last week where Evans dropped that bomb early on, he was only so wide open because he was shoved the DB to the ground and wasn't flagged for it. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1230 on: October 28, 2022, 06:13:40 AM »
All joking and funny acronyms aside, Brady looks about cooked.  His overall stats looked okay last night, thanks to a lot of garbage yards and a garbage TD in the last minute, but he looks like a shell of himself.  He still made some good throws, but he made a ton of "what was he doing?" throws.  The Ravens dropped at least three easy interceptions otherwise his final stat line would have looked way worse.  His body language was even worse than his passing.  He looked all night like a depressed person who wanted to be anywhere else but on a football field.  Mad props to him (seriously) for playing at the level he did for as long as he did, but it looks like Father Time is finally winning its long-fought battle with Tom Brady.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: October 28, 2022, 09:00:04 AM »
All joking and funny acronyms aside, Brady looks about cooked.  His overall stats looked okay last night, thanks to a lot of garbage yards and a garbage TD in the last minute, but he looks like a shell of himself.  He still made some good throws, but he made a ton of "what was he doing?" throws.  The Ravens dropped at least three easy interceptions otherwise his final stat line would have looked way worse.  His body language was even worse than his passing.  He looked all night like a depressed person who wanted to be anywhere else but on a football field.  Mad props to him (seriously) for playing at the level he did for as long as he did, but it looks like Father Time is finally winning its long-fought battle with Tom Brady.

Giselle is going as Father Time for Halloween? 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/27/report-gisele-bundchen-tells-tom-brady-to-retire-or-shes-gone-for-good/

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1232 on: October 28, 2022, 09:17:46 AM »
While I'm sure he doesn't want to be "that guy," Gisselle is giving him an easy out here. Like Kev said, he's not enjoying this anymore, and "I've got to look out for my family" is about the only excuse that can let him off for bailing on his team. He'll still be a douche, but it'd be hard to fault him for choosing his wife and kids over 10 more weeks of football. I've said all along that the one thing I really didn't want to see was for his final game to end with him getting carted off the field. That might be the optimal situation for him now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline emtee

« Reply #1233 on: October 28, 2022, 09:28:58 AM »
Doesn't it seem like these types of people - driven to succeed beyond measurement- often end up paying such a huge price in other areas of their life? In the business world they often die young too. Yes you get the records and fame, or the CEO who made himself and the company billions, but there's no balance.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1234 on: October 28, 2022, 09:47:53 AM »
All he had to do was retire after winning a SB with the Bucs.  Perfect ending to a stellar career.  Some people just don't know when to say when.   :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: October 28, 2022, 11:56:41 AM »
Giselle does: https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/28/entertainment/tom-brady-gisele-bndchen/index.html
Good for her.

Ya know; having gone through an odd divorce myself, I've learned that of all the things we can speculate on, a marriage isn't one of them.  I steadfastly stayed away from the "Hillary should have left Bill" nonsense, and the "well, Melania's look is clear that she's disgusted by him" nonsense... but here, I think it's sort of fundamental that this was a test for Tom and he failed.  Think about what emtee said about driven people; it's pretty clear that when he's committed to something, the fam is not going to be able to withstand that.  Now, it's football, but what's it going to be in five years?  He's going to be out of football, but I think it's a fair guess that she realized that that doesn't mean he's going to be home, full time, with the fam. What happens when the ultimatum comes about Fox Sports broadcasting and the family.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1238 on: October 28, 2022, 12:19:15 PM »
Funny thing is, the very qualities that are driving her away from him were probably the same ones that attracted her to him in the beginning and for many years after. Hell of a thing, eh?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1239 on: October 28, 2022, 01:58:52 PM »
Funny thing is, the very qualities that are driving her away from him were probably the same ones that attracted her to him in the beginning and for many years after. Hell of a thing, eh?
And were quite possibly qualities she possessed, as well. Being a supermodel ain't easy.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1240 on: October 28, 2022, 02:50:18 PM »
And were quite possibly qualities she possessed, as well. Being a supermodel ain't easy.

She had to grow resentful because she gave up her career and he will not. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1241 on: October 28, 2022, 02:51:39 PM »

That happens in a relationship.   :(

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1242 on: October 29, 2022, 02:29:27 AM »

This is something that I feel like a lot of people are ignoring. She made more money as a supermodel than Tom ever made as a quarterback, and she gave it all up to raise their family, but he’s not willing to do the same for her.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1243 on: October 29, 2022, 04:26:13 AM »
Bucs Shaq Barrett out for the season. Season is sealed signed done.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1244 on: October 29, 2022, 05:49:36 AM »

This is something that I feel like a lot of people are ignoring. She made more money as a supermodel than Tom ever made as a quarterback, and she gave it all up to raise their family, but he’s not willing to do the same for her.

Eh, I am on Brady's side there.  If she gave up her career, that was her choice.  She knew he was a football player when she met and married him, so expecting him to retire before he is ready is unfair, and the minute you start throwing out "retire or I'll divorce you" ultimatums, it's pretty much done anyway. 

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1245 on: October 29, 2022, 08:02:03 AM »
There is too much that we don't know to make any informed opinion much less take sides. Marriages don't just dissolve overnight, they unravel over many years and there is more that we don't know than what we do know.

However, couples make sacrifices for each other all the time and a healthy relationship is give and take and given that Tom was occupied 6 or 7 months out of the year, I can see where this is a strain on the relationship.

Back to sports - he really looked bad in the Ravens game and I don't think his skills have diminished too much, he just looks distracted and disinterested.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1246 on: October 29, 2022, 08:06:11 AM »
He can still make some great throws, but also throws more worm-burners and air balls than he used to and really struggles in the red zone. I really don't think he's used to playing without a great O-Line, he's always had one. Still, it's a crappy division so they'll probably still make the playoffs.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: October 29, 2022, 10:29:20 AM »
Kev, I think she's selfish for making the decision then regretting it and taking out her frustration on a husband who has said for over a decade that he wanted to play until 45.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1248 on: October 29, 2022, 11:56:47 AM »
My guess is that this was one of those "he says this, but I will talk him out of it" situations, and she is just pissed that she wasn't able to talk him into retiring sooner.   And it's not like he can take a few years till the kids grow up and resume his career.  It's football.  He has already played longer than anyone thought he would, and if he feels like he still has a few years left, that is his right to keep playing.  I can't imagine still doing well at a job, one where many think I have done it better than anyone ever, and having someone yapping in my ear, "You need to retire!!" 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1249 on: October 29, 2022, 04:48:36 PM »
My guess is that this was one of those "he says this, but I will talk him out of it" situations, and she is just pissed that she wasn't able to talk him into retiring sooner.   And it's not like he can take a few years till the kids grow up and resume his career.  It's football.  He has already played longer than anyone thought he would, and if he feels like he still has a few years left, that is his right to keep playing.  I can't imagine still doing well at a job, one where many think I have done it better than anyone ever, and having someone yapping in my ear, "You need to retire!!"
In fairness, you left out the part where every year in your job significantly increases the possibility that you won't be able to walk worth a damn, or wind up blowing your brains out because of all of the concussions you took. Also, he can't put his career on hold, but he can't put his kids on hold, either.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: October 29, 2022, 04:54:08 PM »
I would say he has more time with his kids than the normal shlub. Plus, Tom has the most protected position in football and probably the top 3 most protective.   Plus he's not a runner either.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1251 on: October 30, 2022, 08:50:46 AM »
So is it true about the rumblings that Russell Wilson is a total diva? I heard that he has an office as a requirement of his contract?

Is he THAT much of a dick?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: October 30, 2022, 10:23:52 AM »
So is it true about the rumblings that Russell Wilson is a total diva?

YES

Glad the rest of the country is finally catching on.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1253 on: October 30, 2022, 10:45:51 AM »
So is it true about the rumblings that Russell Wilson is a total diva? I heard that he has an office as a requirement of his contract?

Don't know if he's a dick or not. Not my kind of guy, really, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. What's wrong with having an office, though? He should have an office, and I'd make the team pay for a secretary/personal assistant, too.
E.F. Benson

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1254 on: October 30, 2022, 11:01:55 AM »

Don't know if he's a dick or not. Not my kind of guy, really, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. What's wrong with having an office, though? He should have an office, and I'd make the team pay for a secretary/personal assistant, too.

Optics. It's just not a a good idea when you have a reputation as a difficult player. Maybe it would be different if he were performing better.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1255 on: October 30, 2022, 11:10:24 AM »
In fairness, you left out the part where every year in your job significantly increases the possibility that you won't be able to walk worth a damn, or wind up blowing your brains out because of all of the concussions you took. Also, he can't put his career on hold, but he can't put his kids on hold, either.

All true, but athletes, and especially football players, are hard-wired different than the rest of us.  I don't think it's realistic to expect or ask an athlete of his caliber to retire early if he still feels like he still has a lot left in the tank.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1256 on: October 30, 2022, 12:27:58 PM »
A lot of McCorkle's interceptions haven't been his fault. Receivers tip balls. Receivers get tackled. The ones that are his fault, though, are usually butt ugly, and that wannabe pick six was the ugliest I've ever seen. That's one of the ugliest picks I've ever seen from any QB. I have no idea what he was thinking was supposed to happen.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: October 30, 2022, 12:30:54 PM »
Bailed out by a Jets D player launching at him.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1258 on: October 30, 2022, 01:27:28 PM »
Zach Wilson is looking like a Rosen-tier QB. How demoralizing it must be for this defense to be playing their asses off and be undermined by not only one of their own players but also Zach Wilson several times.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: October 30, 2022, 01:28:09 PM »
He makes the worst decisions when under pressure. Throw it away!