Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 149443 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #2520 on: July 16, 2023, 06:29:00 PM »
Mine would be
1. Events
2. Time
3. Theater
4. View
5. Astonish

All albums are 9/10 for me, just varying degrees of preference.

Switch "View" and "Dream Theater" and lower the score a bit (they're probably solid 7.5 or 8's for me) and that's me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2521 on: July 16, 2023, 06:36:04 PM »
1. ADTOE
2. AVFTTOTW
3. TA
4. DoT
5. DT12
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2522 on: July 16, 2023, 06:51:40 PM »
1. Dream Theater
2. A View from the Top of the World
3. A Dramatic Turn of Events
4. Distance Over Time
5. The Astonishing

2/3/4 are VERY close, and their positions are fluid (in fact, I believe at the time of the DT album countdown, I had DoT above ADToE...they were ranked one after the other anyway). The Astonishing might be the "least favorite" here, but I like it a lot and its highs are pretty amazing.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2523 on: July 16, 2023, 07:11:04 PM »
I can't wait for a live album from this tour.
Did they say that they’re doing one on this tour?

No but I'm hoping for an announcement soon that they are. I just have a good feeling. :tup

This sounds like an informed opinion.

I just hung up with John Myung and he said.....

:lol

******  I do not have an informed opinion, just hoping.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 10:40:52 PM by Glasser »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2524 on: July 16, 2023, 08:57:59 PM »
Tie: ADTOE/DoT

AVFTTOTW

s/t

The Astonishing

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2525 on: July 16, 2023, 09:58:03 PM »
Being pretty unfamiliar with half of DT's MM-era stuff still, how would you guys rank it from ADTOE onward?

From what I have heard:

1. ADTOE
2. s/t
3. View

You're getting a range of opinions here but I'll chime in with mine and try to explain why. For reference, I&W is my favorite DT album and if that is 10/10, then here are my MM-era rankings:

1. A Dramatic Turn of Events (9.25/10) - why? maybe because it reminds me most of I&W. 1 point lower because of track 2, which I can't stand and doesn't even fit in with the rest of the album, and I didn't love the mix. Also my interest in the band was waning after what I consider to be a low point of 3 duds in a row: 8VM, SC, and BCSL. So to reflect for a moment, the band had put out 3 albums that I did not love; one of my favorite drummers left; we watched this audition process. I am lying in bed with no clue what to expect and the first track I hear is Breaking All Illusions. I nearly wept because after years of frustration, DT finally came back to their roots and gave me what I wanted to hear all along. This album is like the Mangini-era I&W companion. It's only a shame he wasn't around for the writing process because if the band had unleashed him on this album who knows how much better it could have been.

2. Distance Over Time (8.75/10) - similar to the above, we'd just came off a clunker of an album. I honestly was confused about what was happening in DT land and was very nervous about hearing this. It was another 'DT was back' moment but it wasn't like ADTOE. DoT reminded me of the self titled album: aggressive, shorter songs, great drumming that's very identifiable to MM, with better production.

3. Dream Theater self titled (8.5/10) - I think this one put the stamp on the MM era sound after ADTOE. This was the one that the band said would display MM unleashed and that's what we got. The drumming is way more creative in my view than what we got on the predecessor. You can really hear the contrast between Portnoy's style and Mangini's and you can't help but notice a different person is in the band. In my view, it was like going from very good reliable Subaru to a Porsche. I think Illumination Theory is one of the best tracks of the MM era. The rest of the album is very good too, but for me the highs were not as high as Barstool Warrior, Pale Blue Dot, and most of Wit's End.

4. View From the Top of the World (8/10) - it's a very good album. It made perfect sense coming out of Distance Over Time and you could listen to them one after the other and it would all sound cohesive - main difference being song length. The songs all make sense with one another on View. There are no duds - although I don't love Sleeping Giant or Invisible Monster - and everything is either good or great DT. My only complaint is that it was a little too predictable (?) if you know what I mean. It was really as by-the-book as you could get after DoT.

5. The Astonishing (2/10) - points for idea and effort. I am not going to crap on this album here because this is not the place for that. I am just going to say that when I order fancy sushi, I don't expect to open the bag and smell Cheesecake Factory. I am not saying don't listen to it. Listen to it; just get rid of any pre-conceived notions. That is hard to do after 12 albums but I just don't hear how the album fits into the catalogue at all. It's my least favorite album of any DT era.

In summary, the middle three albums are the best representation of the MM-era Dream Theater sound. They make perfect sense together. If you like one, go spend more time with the other two. ADTOE and Astonishing are different; the band was trying to do something very specific. ADTOE was their attempt to calm the fanbase and preemptively do damage control after pandora's box was opened. The Astonishing was John and Jordan's musical theater project that for some strange reason they thought should be released in Dream Theater packaging. The other 3 are just DT having fun doing the new DT. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2526 on: July 16, 2023, 10:42:39 PM »
1) View.
2) S/T.
3) ADToE.
4) DoT
5) The Astonishing.

2 and 3 are interchangeable depending on my mood.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2527 on: July 17, 2023, 04:32:27 AM »
AVFTTOTW skyrocketed to #2 for me and it's still there, right behind the iconic I&W. DoT is #3. Others, interchangeable.

Idk if it was partially the timing of this album (as we were coming out of the pandemic) that made it so meaningful, but having a new DT album come out at that time was a saving grace. It's also loaded with iconic moments (mentioned below in this thread) that make it a keeper for the ages.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2528 on: July 17, 2023, 04:50:25 AM »
I will give it that it has a unique vibe. It's just that it doesn't have any staying power and lacks defining moments that was a hallmark of the DT of old.

I think it's a perfectly fine and enjoyable album but it certainly lacks the diversity present in some of their earlier albums. I think that's mostly down to the secret sauce that was lost a few years ago.

Okay, but does have an album have to be diverse to be worthy and/or great? I would say no.  Sometimes, an album can be great by capturing a vibe and staying in it for the duration.  On the flip side, Octavarium is probably one of their most diverse albums from a stylistic song to song standpoint, but I still view it as one of their least best.  (I would take probably the five best songs off A View... over every song from Octavarium that isn't called Octavarium)

Definitely not, no.

As for Octavarium, the diversity of the songs was fabulous. It's a great album.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2529 on: July 17, 2023, 05:04:00 AM »
1) A Dramatic Turn of Events (8.0)
2) A View from the Top of the World (7.5)
3) Distance Over Time (7)
4) Dream Theater (5)
5) The Astonishing (3)

I listened to The Astonishing again last week. And my experience went the same way it always does: the first 20/30 minutes or so is fine then it feels like it becomes death by ballad after ballad. The first half of the album feels twice the length as a result. And the second part doesn't really do an awful lot to pick it back up. I just... I just wish this wasn't a Dream Theater album. It's a shame it wasn't released as a special project with guest vocalists. That would have given it a lift. But we've had this discussion to death.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline krands85

« Reply #2530 on: July 17, 2023, 07:03:21 AM »
1. ADTOE
=2. D/T, AVFTTOTW
4. TA
5. DT12
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2531 on: July 17, 2023, 08:50:39 AM »
I'm not overly fond of either of the 5 and they would be towards the bottom of my discography rankings, but if i had to rank them, something like this:

1. AVFtTotW - maybe the fact it's the most recent plays a small part but i thought it was pretty decent. the alien was a very solid first song in my opinion and while it doesn't have that many individual standout tracks for me, as a whole it felt like an easier listening experience than some of the other ones. even the epic i thought was solid.

2. DoT - another solid entry that maybe falls a bit too often into the 'dreamtallica' territory. but some solid songs and nothing that really drags it down. i also kinda love the fact that it doesn't have any songs over 10 minutes.

3. ADTOE - while time hasn't been that kind to it for me and the shine has worn off a bit, it still has a few songs that feel like the last echoes of classic DT. breaking all illusions and on the backs of angels are both very solid, and i have a soft spot for beneath the surface. not a huge fan of the middle chunk of the album though.

4. DT12 - it's unfortunate when a self-titled album ends up being pretty boring but here we are. the enemy inside is solid and along for the ride is cheesy fun, but most of the album drags for me and it isn't helped by illumination theory which just feels like a slog to get through.

5. The Astonishing - i was hyped for it initially because i've been hoping for an album with shorter songs from them. more songs like 6:00 or caught in a web or other earlier DT songs that weren't 8-9 minutes or longer. unfortunately there's 2 ½ hours and 35-40 songs here and it's a chore to get through with very little reward in my book.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2532 on: July 18, 2023, 01:12:06 PM »
This is fun! Honestly, I don't think there's a ton of separation between MM albums. I'd probably rank all of them as being in the same tier - Good, with some great moments, but not approaching the heights of the "Big Four".

The Astonishing is an odd one. I would probably put that in its own category, but not necessarily above or below anything else, rather more off to the side. When I'm in the mood for it, I love it, but you're only in the mood for a two-hour prog rock musical once in a blue moon. :lol

If I had to choose a single MM album as my favorite... I would probably choose A Dramatic Turn of Events.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2533 on: July 18, 2023, 03:13:45 PM »
The Astonishing is an odd one. I would probably put that in its own category, but not necessarily above or below anything else, rather more off to the side. When I'm in the mood for it, I love it, but you're only in the mood for a two-hour prog rock musical once in a blue moon. :lol

I put The Astonishing in the same category as Six Degrees. A condensed version with half the songs on each would be damn great, and a condensed version with the rest of the songs would be at the bottom of the list. If I have to take both as a whole, then they'd be right in the middle.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2534 on: July 18, 2023, 03:56:32 PM »
Being pretty unfamiliar with half of DT's MM-era stuff still, how would you guys rank it from ADTOE onward?

1. DT12 (7) - Not a bad song on the album.  Everything is fresh.
2. ADTOE (8) - A solid album with the best MM-era song.  However, there's a bunch of bloat.
3. DOT (11) - Decent, but nothing super memorable.  Unlike a lot of folks, neither AWE nor PBD really resonated with me.
4. View (13) - More of the same.  Super technical but not very progressive.
5. TA (15) - So much bloat and sameness.  Derivative, cheesy story.

The numbers in parentheses are where I ranked each album in the overall catalog.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2535 on: July 19, 2023, 02:16:49 PM »
I'd rate them as:
1. AVFtTotW - mid/upper tier (in comparison to DT's catalog as a whole)
2. d/t - mid/upper tier
3. s/t - mid tier
4. ADToE - mid tier
5. TA - bottom tier
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2536 on: July 21, 2023, 12:47:33 AM »
My rating

1. A View From The Top Of The World 
    Best sounding album of this era, great songs
2. A Dramatic Turn Of Events               
    It has "Breaking All Illusions", need i say more?
3. Distance Over Time                         
    Pretty solid overall, i love "Barstool Warrior" and "At Wit's End"
4. The Astonishing
    I like it for what it is, though it doesn't have the same replay value as the songs work better in the entire album flow
5. Dream Theater
    A decent album ruined by bad production decisions. Second worst sounding DT album after WDADU in my opinion, the fart-like snare ruins it even though there are also some great songs included in this album.

• PR permission
« Reply #2537 on: July 21, 2023, 06:15:05 AM »
For what it is worth, some time ago they offered higher quality audio files for DT12. That is only version I listen to and it is like night and day vs. the CD.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2538 on: July 21, 2023, 06:32:28 AM »
Definitely better in terms of compression, but the snare tuning really throws me off.

Offline Kram

« Reply #2539 on: July 21, 2023, 03:31:42 PM »
1. ADTOE
2. DOT
3. AVFTTOTW
4. TA
5. DT12

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2540 on: July 21, 2023, 03:40:34 PM »
ADTOE
AVFTTOTW
DOT
DT12
TA

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2541 on: July 22, 2023, 04:45:36 PM »
- A Dramatic Turn of Events
Closer to classic DT to me as it is more adventurous compared to what’s to come (The Astonishing aside). No weak tracks. BAI is a top 5 track and this is a top 5 album.

- A View from the Top of the World
A drop for sure. No real weak songs, but nothing amazing. The Alien is the closest to being an essential track. They’re fully into their sound now. Nothing new, just staying in their lane.

- Distance Over Time
After TA they basically went back to the s/t formula. Except some stronger songs, and no epic. Paralyzed, Room 137, S2N and Viper King do nothing for me. I’ve listened to this album I don’t know how many times and I can barely recite a melody or a lyric from any of those. The rest of the album is pretty good.

- Dream Theater
First of all, IT is their worst epic. It’s boring, cut and paste, and just uninspiring. The most interesting part is when Mike and JM are copying Rush. For the rest of the album, it’s just like the cover and title. No character or personality. I don’t even know how else to explain it.

- The Astonishing
I won’t mention anything about the story and lyrics. That dead horse has been beat enough. I’ll just say that there are maybe 20 mins worth of music out of 2+ hours that I enjoy. And even those songs I wouldn’t consider essential DT tracks. A lot of great moments and ideas sprinkled throughout but it’s too much work to get to them.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online NoFred

« Reply #2542 on: July 22, 2023, 10:12:21 PM »
My rating

1. A View From The Top Of The World 
    Best sounding album of this era, great songs
2. A Dramatic Turn Of Events               
    It has "Breaking All Illusions", need i say more?
3. Distance Over Time                         
    Pretty solid overall, i love "Barstool Warrior" and "At Wit's End"
4. The Astonishing
    I like it for what it is, though it doesn't have the same replay value as the songs work better in the entire album flow
5. Dream Theater
    A decent album ruined by bad production decisions. Second worst sounding DT album after WDADU in my opinion, the fart-like snare ruins it even though there are also some great songs included in this album.

This is mine with 1-2-3 interchangeable. Fully agree on #5 an album ruined by production.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #2543 on: July 23, 2023, 07:59:19 AM »
The Vancouver show really supported what I thought about the album regarding Jame's choice of vocal lines. They were the easiest for him to sing. Other than The Alien, those rhythms in the verse would mess anyone up.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2544 on: July 23, 2023, 09:16:21 AM »
I’m usually a bit of a production nut, and the criticisms of the self-titled production has always shocked me. I absolutely love that album!  That was the album that gave me confidence in the Mangini-era.

1. A View From the Top of the World
2. Dream Theater
3. The Astonishing
4. A Dramatic Turn of Events
5. Distance Over Time

3 and 4 switch places depending on my mood. ADTOE is probably the easier listen, but it’s not very adventurous. Whereas TA has some flaws but earns points for being something very different and not being as bad as some people say.

D/T is their most uneven work of the new era. Some good spots, some not so good.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online NoFred

« Reply #2545 on: July 23, 2023, 09:47:23 AM »
^Every year or so I give DT12 another earnest try. It’s like my favorite band has an album I’ve never heard before lol. It’s killing me. Hope it breaks through one day.

IT is a good epic though, stands on its own and definitely in the rotation.

• PR permission
« Reply #2546 on: July 23, 2023, 11:15:34 AM »
^Every year or so I give DT12 another earnest try. It’s like my favorite band has an album I’ve never heard before lol. It’s killing me. Hope it breaks through one day.

What about the Breaking the Fourth Wall DVD? It's a new way to hear the material and that show was fire.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2547 on: July 23, 2023, 11:38:23 AM »

What about the Breaking the Fourth Wall DVD? It's a new way to hear the material and that show was fire.

💯🔥🔥🔥
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

• PR permission
« Reply #2548 on: July 23, 2023, 05:31:26 PM »

💯🔥🔥🔥

Shattered Fortress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq8KRHpjeMA

I know it's not a DT12 song (and it's not a personal favorite of mine) but holy shit. They just crushed it that night.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2549 on: July 23, 2023, 07:40:58 PM »
In competition as my favorite DT DVD.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2550 on: July 24, 2023, 02:36:21 AM »
To each there own, I'm well aware of that. But a common dislike here on DTF is the album lacking diversaty. And that I can't understand... There is so much in this album to enjoy and it covers the wide spectrum of Dream Theater definitely, I would say. There is heavy metal with Awaken the Master, there's that positive-vibe Transcending Time... The Alien and Invisible Monster are more easy to the ears, more mainstream-oriented and there is that absolute epic. Within this epic the ballad is hidden (cello-part) and Sleeping Giant is as complex as Dream Theater can be, due to it's build-up. There is that familiar Awake-sound, but stylistically total different.

The only two albums which could be point out as lack of diversaty are Train of Thought (heavy metal) and The Astonishing, which completely covers the other side of their spectrum. But A View is totally a classic in their discography, for me.

I stopped ranking albums in any particular order, because it's almost constant interchangeable. I'm pretty sure Distance Over Time is my least favorite Mangini-era album and A Dramatic Turn is one of their best, to me. But all the rest evolves with each new vinyl-spin.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

• PR permission
« Reply #2551 on: July 24, 2023, 05:35:43 AM »
To each there own, I'm well aware of that. But a common dislike here on DTF is the album lacking diversaty. And that I can't understand... There is so much in this album to enjoy and it covers the wide spectrum of Dream Theater definitely, I would say. There is heavy metal with Awaken the Master, there's that positive-vibe Transcending Time... The Alien and Invisible Monster are more easy to the ears, more mainstream-oriented and there is that absolute epic. Within this epic the ballad is hidden (cello-part) and Sleeping Giant is as complex as Dream Theater can be, due to it's build-up. There is that familiar Awake-sound, but stylistically total different.

The only two albums which could be point out as lack of diversaty are Train of Thought (heavy metal) and The Astonishing, which completely covers the other side of their spectrum. But A View is totally a classic in their discography, for me.

I stopped ranking albums in any particular order, because it's almost constant interchangeable. I'm pretty sure Distance Over Time is my least favorite Mangini-era album and A Dramatic Turn is one of their best, to me. But all the rest evolves with each new vinyl-spin.

I agree with your analysis of View, Train of Thought and the Astonishing and I share your enthusiasm for View. I think it's going to be a classic of the Mangini-era when we look back on it in 25 years, though it sounds like a lot of people weren't thrilled by the subsequent tour. Anyway, I think any dissatisfaction from the View tour or DreamSonic says less to do about the quality of the album and more about other issues.

May there be many more DT albums for us to rank!

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2552 on: July 24, 2023, 05:54:00 AM »
Thanks Barstool Warrior... I've seen them twice the past tour and it was stunning and breath-taking. If I would make the call, I rather had this tour live on vinyl, than Distant Memories. That was awesome too and I do spin it on a regular base, but this setlist was so freakin' good. And Scenes had a live version which could never be topped.

The Ministry of Lost Souls was one of the very very best performances of Dream Theater, on a tour I've seen. I think it's a shame they won't do a live.

In a few days Dream Sonic ends... let us hope, wish and pray there will be a teaser of DTHQ for #16 in september.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2553 on: July 24, 2023, 06:01:49 AM »
So I listened to Transcending Time yesterday for the first time in over a year. When the album came out, it was my least favorite from the album, and it still is, but the song itself is not as bad as I remember. It was slightly more enjoyable.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

• PR permission
« Reply #2554 on: July 24, 2023, 06:13:30 AM »
So I listened to Transcending Time yesterday for the first time in over a year. When the album came out, it was my least favorite from the album, and it still is, but the song itself is not as bad as I remember. It was slightly more enjoyable.

Keep at it! A few more spins and it'll be a DT classic  :biggrin: