Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 141989 times)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #2345 on: November 09, 2022, 06:17:52 AM »
Well, for starters in Italy they won't pass by Milan again, so they might indeed have a different cities schedule....

As far as i can see, they're playing smaller venues in different areas (Napoli is a first for them, for instance) - all seated, at least in Italy.
The prices are really, really high though.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2346 on: November 10, 2022, 11:22:42 PM »
In Tilburg I know for sure it’s small but not seated. At least not in the pit, it’s were Transatlantic recorded the Live in Europe dvd. Best location in all Holland, if you ask me.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2347 on: November 11, 2022, 12:46:30 AM »
They will come to Stockholm, Sweden this time.... only Gothenburg last time. So I am happy.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2348 on: November 11, 2022, 12:16:26 PM »
70,- a ticket for Groningen. I actually love seeing them again in a bit smaller venue this time around :-)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2349 on: November 11, 2022, 01:16:51 PM »
Got a ticket for the golden circle in Stockholm now....

No more tickets today..... both Peter Gabriel and Dream Theater were more expensive than I really want to pay

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2350 on: November 13, 2022, 08:33:09 PM »
Kev, can I resubmit mine, or do you already have my selections in the spreadsheet?  I hate to create more work, but I realized I somehow made a HUGE omission (given my personal favorites list).  It's just a matter of inserting one singer and moving everyone below down a spot.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #2351 on: November 13, 2022, 09:12:54 PM »
Kev, can I resubmit mine, or do you already have my selections in the spreadsheet?  I hate to create more work, but I realized I somehow made a HUGE omission (given my personal favorites list).  It's just a matter of inserting one singer and moving everyone below down a spot.

Bosk, I think you posted this on the wrong thread.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2352 on: November 13, 2022, 09:30:17 PM »

Bosk, I think you posted this on the wrong thread.

It happens to the best of us :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2353 on: November 14, 2022, 09:17:25 AM »
I was wondering where that post went.  Weird.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2354 on: November 16, 2022, 09:08:31 AM »
Didn't know where to post this, but the current lineup (Petrucci, Myung, LaBrie, Rudess, Mangini) is already the longest running DT lineup ever. 12 years! :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2355 on: November 16, 2022, 09:53:04 AM »
Didn't know where to post this, but the current lineup (Petrucci, Myung, LaBrie, Rudess, Mangini) is already the longest running DT lineup ever. 12 years! :metal
and long may they continue
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2356 on: November 16, 2022, 11:31:31 AM »
As I'm listening now, I just wanted to chime in to say that both Invisible Monster and Transcending Time (probably my initial bottom 2 on an album that is so consistently good that "bottom" has little meaning) are SO good!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2357 on: November 16, 2022, 11:32:28 AM »
As I'm listening now, I just wanted to chime in to say that both Invisible Monster and Transcending Time (probably my initial bottom 2 on an album that is so consistently good that "bottom" has little meaning) are SO good!

It's a great album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2358 on: November 16, 2022, 12:20:57 PM »
This album is better than d/t. The only caveat is the d/t has At Wit's end.
A View has no skips and any song could be a favorite on any given day.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2359 on: November 16, 2022, 12:36:54 PM »

I agree on the consistency, but just for conversational purposes, and to attest to that consistency, you've listed my favorite (Transcending Time) and least favorite (Invisible Monster) songs on the album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2360 on: November 17, 2022, 07:28:12 AM »

I agree on the consistency, but just for conversational purposes, and to attest to that consistency, you've listed my favorite (Transcending Time) and least favorite (Invisible Monster) songs on the album.
Same here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2361 on: November 17, 2022, 07:35:46 AM »

That's crazy! The lineup from 1999-2009 packed a LOT into those years so it seemed longer than it was I guess.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2362 on: November 17, 2022, 07:40:48 AM »

That's crazy! The lineup from 1999-2009 packed a LOT into those years so it seemed longer than it was I guess.

Well, only one more studio album than the 2011-current lineup. They each have 3 live releases.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2363 on: November 17, 2022, 08:48:54 AM »

The beauty about music is everyone has different opinions and tastes. I find d/t way better than Top of the World. Feels more organic, more consistent, and everyone was together when writing the album. The writing sessions were different with Top of the World due to the pandemic so I feel James' presence was not as consistent as with the d/t writing sessions. And this is where, in my opinion, d/t has way better constructed vocal melodies than Top of the World, which is what I believe has not made Top of the World, up high in my album rankings in the Mangini era.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #2364 on: November 24, 2022, 07:26:27 PM »

As far as two back-to-back DT albums, DOT and AVFTTOTW compliment each other REALLY well.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2365 on: November 25, 2022, 11:43:22 AM »

As far as two back-to-back DT albums, DOT and AVFTTOTW compliment each other REALLY well.

Same as with ADTOE/DT12 :tup

... and TA is a double, so technically it compliments itself really well :P

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2366 on: November 28, 2022, 06:51:19 PM »
DoT and View are also great back-to-back. Actually, they could be part of a double disc set.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2367 on: December 01, 2022, 01:05:54 PM »
... and TA is a double, so technically it compliments itself really well :P

Lol... and I'll agree as well.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: December 20, 2022, 03:42:18 AM »

The beauty about music is everyone has different opinions and tastes. I find d/t way better than Top of the World. Feels more organic, more consistent, and everyone was together when writing the album. The writing sessions were different with Top of the World due to the pandemic so I feel James' presence was not as consistent as with the d/t writing sessions. And this is where, in my opinion, d/t has way better constructed vocal melodies than Top of the World, which is what I believe has not made Top of the World, up high in my album rankings in the Mangini era.

Agree.  DOT is better than A View in every single possible way imaginable IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2369 on: December 20, 2022, 03:47:14 AM »
Both pale in comparison to The Astonishing, though. Significantly.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2370 on: December 20, 2022, 01:04:51 PM »
Both pale in comparison to The Astonishing, though. Significantly.
I'm glad somebody is willing to say that, and I agree on the most part.  I have been listening to d/t a lot lately though, and View.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

• PR permission
« Reply #2371 on: December 20, 2022, 03:01:43 PM »
prediction: the next album will create a DT 'trinity' (of sorts) from DoT to DT16. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2372 on: December 20, 2022, 03:04:52 PM »
prediction: the next album will create a DT 'trinity' (of sorts) from DoT to DT16.

If it's another 60-75 minute non-concept album with 6-10 songs, then I could see that happening, but I could also see them wanting to change gears again and do something completely different after DOT/AVFTTOTW.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

• PR permission
« Reply #2373 on: December 20, 2022, 03:16:00 PM »

If it's another 60-75 minute non-concept album with 6-10 songs, then I could see that happening, but I could also see them wanting to change gears again and do something completely different after DOT/AVFTTOTW.

-Marc.

I would prefer something a little different - I realize that could mean a lot of things- but I suspect it will be exactly what you describe though. If the songwriting is super strong (as it was for much of DoT and some of View), I'll be happy but probably still be looking for something to differentiate it from the previous 2 efforts.

Offline Kram

« Reply #2374 on: December 20, 2022, 04:18:02 PM »

-Marc.

I would prefer something a little different - I realize that could mean a lot of things- but I suspect it will be exactly what you describe though. If the songwriting is super strong (as it was for much of DoT and some of View), I'll be happy but probably still be looking for something to differentiate it from the previous 2 efforts.
The last two albums are great but I would welcome something different.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2375 on: December 20, 2022, 04:43:16 PM »
I would love to hear them to an old school prog rock album musically like Rush Hemispheres and 2112.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2376 on: December 20, 2022, 05:57:37 PM »
I'd like to see something different too, and I'm sure they will, but I'm having a hard time trying to picture what that could be so far in their career. They've done pretty much everyting within the genere.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2377 on: December 21, 2022, 01:20:17 AM »

-Marc.
Last time they decided to do something completely different, they lost a quarter of their fanbase. I think we know what to expect from them nowadays.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2378 on: December 21, 2022, 09:59:59 AM »
Base tracks recorded live together. No click track. Dial back the super-neat production. Leave the rough edges in there. Be fantastic to hear the guys play TOGETHER like that.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2379 on: December 21, 2022, 10:04:13 AM »
Given that they don't like recording in any of the aspects you described, I think any of that is a long shot.