Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 149436 times)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #1085 on: October 31, 2021, 09:26:23 AM »
I like the way Labrie sings it live. Much more menacing imo.

I’ll second this! The most recent live version is so killer—James owns that part. :metal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1086 on: October 31, 2021, 10:50:41 AM »
I would imagine that we will see a lot more DT material in a shorter amount of time than the previous years, now that they have their own studio.  DTHQ. 
Since they own the building and don't have a clock over their head when recording, they might as well be creating as much music as possible.
I'd like to see them make a super dark and heavy EP with no keyboards as a one-off thing. 😈

Don't get me wrong,  I love they keys in DT and Jordan is phenomenal!  I've always wanted to hear them do something that's so ridiculously heavy that it makes a statement.  🌋

Who of us wouldn't want that happen?
But,as much as i want it to happen,i think that it won't.

The fact that they own the studio now and write in it,hence they don't have their company telling them to wrap up quickly,
might actually mean that they will take as much time as they need to deliver any album as they want to.
So instead of delivering sooner ,most possibly they will delay more (as was the case for A view)

That's a really good point.  They won't be rushed for time anymore and could take all the time they need to make masterpiece albums.   :tup

I would still like to see that ultra-heavy EP though. Unleash the beast!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #1087 on: October 31, 2021, 12:42:36 PM »
I know it's wishful thinking, but if we're blue sky-ing this hypothetical guitar-centric EP, why not have JR and JP each playing their 8-strings?  :o

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1088 on: October 31, 2021, 12:51:38 PM »
I know it's wishful thinking, but if we're blue sky-ing this hypothetical guitar-centric EP, why not have JR and JP each playing their 8-strings?  :o
Yep, Kotowboy mentioned this earlier.  That would be awesome, but still include the 6 and 7 strings as they can be used for metal fury too. 
I love the way JP utilizes the 8 string on ATM,  would like to see more of this in the future.  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1089 on: October 31, 2021, 12:56:01 PM »
One of my favorite moments on the whole album is the second verse in the title track at 5:40. I love the way James sounds and the groove that JM and MM are doing, with JR’s keys on top. So tasteful 👌

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1090 on: October 31, 2021, 01:03:38 PM »
One of my favorite moments on the whole album is the second verse in the title track at 5:40. I love the way James sounds and the groove that JM and MM are doing, with JR’s keys on top. So tasteful 👌

Yes, that whole section is classic DT. It’s both refreshing and nostalgic. I love it.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1091 on: October 31, 2021, 01:13:48 PM »
I love the balance on the album. The heaviness of ATM and the absolute melodic TT! The chorus is HUGE. This album defines DT from start to finish. It’s still getting better with every spin (like that’s even possible considering how much I already love it). I can’t even begin to imagine how they will top this. Also, we have a solo album coming from James!!! These guys are not human! JP solo album, LTE3, View, and a JLB solo album coming…. These guys are not showing signs of aging or lack of inspiration!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1092 on: October 31, 2021, 01:14:58 PM »
JP solo album, LTE3, View, and a JLB solo album coming…. These guys are not showing signs of aging or lack of inspiration!!!

Keep making music!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LKap13

« Reply #1093 on: October 31, 2021, 01:28:39 PM »
I love the balance on the album. The heaviness of ATM and the absolute melodic TT! The chorus is HUGE. This album defines DT from start to finish. It’s still getting better with every spin (like that’s even possible considering how much I already love it). I can’t even begin to imagine how they will top this. Also, we have a solo album coming from James!!! These guys are not human! JP solo album, LTE3, View, and a JLB solo album coming…. These guys are not showing signs of aging or lack of inspiration!!!

Yes.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1094 on: October 31, 2021, 01:40:50 PM »
JP solo album, LTE3, View, and a JLB solo album coming…. These guys are not showing signs of aging or lack of inspiration!!!

Keep making music!!!

Maybe a John Myung spoken word solo album?  :lol :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1095 on: October 31, 2021, 01:43:30 PM »

Keep making music!!!

https://youtu.be/eE3HImfH--E

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline LKap13

« Reply #1096 on: October 31, 2021, 01:46:52 PM »
The song that's most similar to their recent releases is sleeping giant. The others are different

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1097 on: October 31, 2021, 02:04:19 PM »

Keep making music!!!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1098 on: October 31, 2021, 02:32:09 PM »

Keep making music!!!

So it would be an ep or just a single?  :lol

Offline Kram

« Reply #1099 on: October 31, 2021, 02:33:19 PM »

Yes, that whole section is classic DT. It’s both refreshing and nostalgic. I love it.
Yes, that part is awesome!  Also, the whole middle section - with the cello iPad thing and James incredible vocals, plus the tasty awesome JP solos - this is the best song they've done since Octavarium IMO.  Top 10 DT tune!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1100 on: October 31, 2021, 02:37:55 PM »

Keep making music!!!

https://youtu.be/eE3HImfH--E

That’s the best! Well the first JM solo album single is out!!!!  :rollin

Seriously, he’s such an incredibly nice guy and a JM solo album (not Platypus) would be amazing. Shall we start a campaign for this? 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1101 on: October 31, 2021, 10:14:50 PM »
Since Portnoy's exit, they've lost their hard edge and are prone to too many soft/airy-fairy moments for my likings.

Whilst Portnoy formed Adrenaline Mob - probably the most embarrassing supergroup ever. Despite calling it his new band - he wisely jumped ship ASAP.

Then he made Sons of Apollo - and him and Derek acting all TOUGH and MACHO was even more embarrassing.

So i'll take DT's career since 2011 over anything Portnoy has done since then.

You seem to have totally misunderstood what I said.

I wasn't comparing what Portnoy has done since to what DT has since (although SOA and Winery Dogs are great).

The point I was making was that since Portnoy left DT, overall I reckon the band has lost its hard/heavy edge.

I was lamenting what might've been had Portnoy stayed with DT and what kind of awesome music would've been produced by the band. There's no doubt he was the driving force behind the band in all aspects, it's a pretty big hole to fill - arguably an impossible task.

:lol Where did this guy come from? MP’s Facebook I presume?

DT is much better without MP, full stop.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1102 on: October 31, 2021, 10:36:45 PM »
And,apart from that,their album/tour cycle is almost 2 years long for the past decade,so i don't see them releasing a new album till late 2023.
Hope i am wrong though,and we get to hear DT16 before we know it.

I hope I'm wrong, but I worry we may not hear DT16 until 2025, considering that D/T took over 3 years to come out & the band talked about how they went into the studio to do AV months earlier than they otherwise would have because of the lockdown.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1103 on: October 31, 2021, 10:55:39 PM »
And,apart from that,their album/tour cycle is almost 2 years long for the past decade,so i don't see them releasing a new album till late 2023.

I hope I'm wrong, but I worry we may not hear DT16 until 2025, considering that D/T took over 3 years to come out & the band talked about how they went into the studio to do AV months earlier than they otherwise would have because of the lockdown.

That’s very possible. If they are able to complete this tour by the Fall 2022 by the time they write, record it may take until end of 2023 so a late 2024 early 2025 release sounds about right. But all of this hangs in the balance of our economy due to a pandemic that may still be in full effect. Now I’m getting depressed hoping they are still together as this would make JLB about 62 and is clearly not opposed to not having the urgency to tour. This is premature yet VERY possible. :(

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #1104 on: October 31, 2021, 11:26:01 PM »

That’s very possible. If they are able to complete this tour by the Fall 2022 by the time they write, record it may take until end of 2023 so a late 2024 early 2025 release sounds about right. But all of this hangs in the balance of our economy due to a pandemic that may still be in full effect. Now I’m getting depressed hoping they are still together as this would make JLB about 62 and is clearly not opposed to not having the urgency to tour. This is premature yet VERY possible. :(

I mean, they have a 5 album contract currently, so we are destined to get it sooner or later. But, honestly, if they took some extra time with DT16, that's ok. This album is great and if it ever happened (God Forbid) that it was their capstone, it would be a formidable finale.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1105 on: November 01, 2021, 12:05:51 AM »
+1

can’t agree more svisser!
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline adastra

« Reply #1106 on: November 01, 2021, 12:48:23 AM »
I´ve listened to the album for many times now and have to say that this is their best Mangini-era album.
I like almost all the songs.. Even The Alien which I didn´t like when it was first released.   I guess Awaken the Master is only song that doesn´t click for me. At least for now.
I´m so happy that Dream Theater could surprise me with this album because I wasn´t really hoping for too much.

Good Album. Good songs.
I love how Labrie sings.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #1107 on: November 01, 2021, 12:49:02 AM »

And as for BC&SL - A Nightmare To Remember is an absolute prog metal masterpiece. Right up the pointy end of their best ever songs, too.

Yea, nah…

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1108 on: November 01, 2021, 05:21:51 AM »
I think ANTR is Portnoy's Magnum Opus.

:lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1109 on: November 01, 2021, 05:58:03 AM »
I think ANTR is Portnoy's Magnum Opus.

:lol
Can't we find the minds

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1110 on: November 01, 2021, 06:02:28 AM »
Well, if we are talking about Portnoy's magnum opus as a drummer while in DT, I already have made up my mind what that is, and it is quite early in their career.

ANTR? Nah. He can not even get the blast beats right.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 07:46:25 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1111 on: November 01, 2021, 06:50:43 AM »
Since Portnoy's exit, they've lost their hard edge and are prone to too many soft/airy-fairy moments for my likings.

Whilst Portnoy formed Adrenaline Mob - probably the most embarrassing supergroup ever. Despite calling it his new band - he wisely jumped ship ASAP.

Then he made Sons of Apollo - and him and Derek acting all TOUGH and MACHO was even more embarrassing.

I wasn't comparing what Portnoy has done since to what DT has since (although SOA and Winery Dogs are great).

The point I was making was that since Portnoy left DT, overall I reckon the band has lost its hard/heavy edge.

I was lamenting what might've been had Portnoy stayed with DT and what kind of awesome music would've been produced by the band. There's no doubt he was the driving force behind the band in all aspects, it's a pretty big hole to fill - arguably an impossible task.

Politely and respectfully disagree.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #1112 on: November 01, 2021, 07:02:39 AM »

100% agree.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #1113 on: November 01, 2021, 09:26:14 AM »
One thing I’m not about to get into is yet another MP vs MM debate. It’s been done to death, I’m too old and frankly it gives me a stomach ache ;D

What I will get into, is how I’m currently feeling about the tracks. Waaay too early for me to even think about ranking the album, but here’s where I’m currently at with each track:

The Alien: Love it, and did from early. I think it’s being pushed back a little by some at the moment while they give the newer tracks more time, but I think this is a ripping track that will age well in time.

Answering the Call: Awesome track. Heavy, concise, melodic and just put together really well. One of my early faves.

Invisible Monster: A nice, very inoffensive track with a nice chorus and some nice parts. Nothing spectacular and towards the bottom of these 7 tracks, but in no way bad to me. Well executed, good in album context, just not amazeballs…

Sleeping Giant: Yep. Really like this one. Mean riff, fun and groovy, mixes things up such as the second chorus sung differently, and finishes with a great crescendo which brings back that awesome groovy riff. Classic DT track…

Transcending Time: My favourite off the album. I love that 90’s sound with Rush-type influences, and tracks such as Innocence Faded, the opening to The Killing Hand from Live at the Marquee, The Looking Glass and Barstool Warrior are always amongst my faves. This one is in a similar vein, but eclipses them all for mine. I actually just think it should have been the 6th track for a lighter breather before the epic.

Awaken the Master: Some nice parts, but I just can’t quite connect with this one yet. Feels a bit similar in places to the title track, with the latter just far superior. It seems to have some good ideas, but I just tend to lose interest in it a bit.

A View from the top of the World: Has seriously grown on me to be what I will call a classic epic down the track. Brilliant opening, the soft section is as haunting as “beautiful agony” to me, and the finally free esque outro is great. The only thing that takes away a bit is that “life of legacy” note and abrupt shift. I want to like it, I just don’t. But for a very small portion of an otherwise superb track, I can cop that. I almost feel like the slow section was supposed to be the one leading into the outro, which would have been nice, and the final section in the middle, with the band just turning it on it’s head for something different. But except for the criticism, it’s an outstanding piece of music, with the 20 minutes flying by…

So yea, I think it’s a great album with some tremendous tracks. Carry on…

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1114 on: November 01, 2021, 09:55:11 AM »
One thing I’m not about to get into is yet another MP vs MM debate. It’s been done to death, I’m too old and frankly it gives me a stomach ache ;D

What I will get into, is how I’m currently feeling about the tracks. Waaay too early for me to even think about ranking the album, but here’s where I’m currently at with each track:

The Alien: Love it, and did from early. I think it’s being pushed back a little by some at the moment while they give the newer tracks more time, but I think this is a ripping track that will age well in time.

Answering the Call: Awesome track. Heavy, concise, melodic and just put together really well. One of my early faves.

Invisible Monster: A nice, very inoffensive track with a nice chorus and some nice parts. Nothing spectacular and towards the bottom of these 7 tracks, but in no way bad to me. Well executed, good in album context, just not amazeballs…

Sleeping Giant: Yep. Really like this one. Mean riff, fun and groovy, mixes things up such as the second chorus sung differently, and finishes with a great crescendo which brings back that awesome groovy riff. Classic DT track…

Transcending Time: My favourite off the album. I love that 90’s sound with Rush-type influences, and tracks such as Innocence Faded, the opening to The Killing Hand from Live at the Marquee, The Looking Glass and Barstool Warrior are always amongst my faves. This one is in a similar vein, but eclipses them all for mine. I actually just think it should have been the 6th track for a lighter breather before the epic.

Awaken the Master: Some nice parts, but I just can’t quite connect with this one yet. Feels a bit similar in places to the title track, with the latter just far superior. It seems to have some good ideas, but I just tend to lose interest in it a bit.

A View from the top of the World: Has seriously grown on me to be what I will call a classic epic down the track. Brilliant opening, the soft section is as haunting as “beautiful agony” to me, and the finally free esque outro is great. The only thing that takes away a bit is that “life of legacy” note and abrupt shift. I want to like it, I just don’t. But for a very small portion of an otherwise superb track, I can cop that. I almost feel like the slow section was supposed to be the one leading into the outro, which would have been nice, and the final section in the middle, with the band just turning it on it’s head for something different. But except for the criticism, it’s an outstanding piece of music, with the 20 minutes flying by…

Well said, my man. I'm of a similar mind...it's way too early for me to place this record within the context of their catalog.

I was getting ready to do my own track-by-track, but your thoughts are very much in line with mine.

I've been enjoying the record for a little over a week now, but the title track has really grown on me. I've played it twice as much as any other track on the record, and the more I listen, the more it feels fresh and dissimilar to the rest of their catalog. The jagged, rhythmic foundation feels more in line with what I'd expect from Crimson than Genesis, and it's a side of the band they rarely show.

All in all, I'll need a few months before I'm able to speak eloquently or coherently about any of these songs, but in the meantime, I've been enjoying it massively.

Purchased the Vinyl last week...the first 'physical' DT product I've bought since ADTOE, and it sounds amazing!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1115 on: November 01, 2021, 10:08:20 AM »
Didn't realize I had posted my "first impressions" post back in the locked thread.  I will take the liberty of re-posting here:

Here are my very early "first impression" notes for each song.  These are just some scribblings that I wrote down while listening:

The Alien:  Sqeeze "drop the needle in the middle of the record" song. [probably nobody will get that reference]  AGGRESSIVE.  Unsettling.  Time sigs.  DRUMS!!!  :o

Answering the Call:  FW Seven Stars riff.  :metal  Nice keys.  CHORUS!  AROP solo-tradeoff (san bebot).  Structure!  [I have no idea what I meant by that last one]

Invisible Monster:  HK intro.  Accessible guitar/key riff.  Verse syncopation.  Chorus ear worm!  Eerie melody--SC?  Love it!

Sleeping Giant:  Buzzsaw opening.  LTE/JP solo riff.  Cool backing "whoa-ooo" vox.  Metropolis.

Transcending Time:  Single?  Rush song.  :)  Piano!

Awaken the Master:  TA intro!  Other TA.  Classic JP (Terminal Velocity influence?).  FII feel? 

View:  IT2 (without middle).  SyX intro.  :metal  Epic riff!  ITPOE/Floyd had a baby.  Epic [something I can't read] guitar.

Some of that makes no sense to me now several weeks after the fact.  But again, it was my stream-of-consciousness, spontaneous reaction, note taking as I listened while at work. 

EDIT:  Oh, and I also made comments awhile back that I would reveal my initial impressions for what other things "in the DT family" that this album reminded me of.  I was very careful in my language when I said "in the DT family."  And the reason for that is that, at least initially, my first impressions as far as "what does this most remind me of?" were NOT other DT albums.  My initial reactions as far as drawing parallels with sound would be:  LTE, JP solo albums, and JLB solo albums.  My mind went to those three before any DT albums.  Not that it doesn't sound like DT, or that I haven't since drawn parallels with other DT albums.  I have.  But that is where my mind was initially drawn.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1116 on: November 01, 2021, 10:08:27 AM »

Well said, my man. I'm of a similar mind...it's way too early for me to place this record within the context of their catalog.

I was getting ready to do my own track-by-track, but your thoughts are very much in line with mine.

I've been enjoying the record for a little over a week now, but the title track has really grown on me. I've played it twice as much as any other track on the record, and the more I listen, the more it feels fresh and dissimilar to the rest of their catalog. The jagged, rhythmic foundation feels more in line with what I'd expect from Crimson than Genesis, and it's a side of the band they rarely show.

All in all, I'll need a few months before I'm able to speak eloquently or coherently about any of these songs, but in the meantime, I've been enjoying it massively.

Purchased the Vinyl last week...the first 'physical' DT product I've bought since ADTOE, and it sounds amazing!

I’m pretty much on board with all of this.
Can't we find the minds

« Reply #1117 on: November 01, 2021, 10:52:16 AM »

Keep making music!!!
IIRC JR mentioned in a Prog Report video he's got a solo album in the works, too

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: November 01, 2021, 10:54:15 AM »
 ;D Easier for JR - he can press record and just play piano for an hour.

« Reply #1119 on: November 01, 2021, 11:16:46 AM »
;D Easier for JR - he can press record and just play piano for an hour.
JM could do this, too (play bass, respectively). I'd buy it.