Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 149130 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #980 on: October 28, 2021, 08:34:26 PM »
Sea Of Tranquility's review..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1wA6Osty9s
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #981 on: October 28, 2021, 08:35:58 PM »
I mean, JR has got to be sick of JP burying him in the mix right? A recurring theme.
He doesn't seem buried in the mix at all to me. This album is mixed great and all instruments are balanced just right to me.

Labrie OWNS this album!!!

This. Plus. SOMEONE has to be at the back sonically. Not everyone can be upfront.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #982 on: October 28, 2021, 08:41:08 PM »
I mean, JR has got to be sick of JP burying him in the mix right? A recurring theme.
He doesn't seem buried in the mix at all to me. This album is mixed great and all instruments are balanced just right to me.
This. Plus. SOMEONE has to be at the back sonically. Not everyone can be upfront.

True, he probably has a copy of it somewhere, probably on CD. ;) Also, I fixed your quote. Make sure to insert your reply below any [ / quote ] text in a quoted reply just so we're not all putting words into people's posts.

Sonically speaking, I've yet to listen to this album with headphones on, which I don't really do much of anymore, but since it isnt as abysmal as DT12's CD mastering was, I might make time to give it a Headphone spin.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #983 on: October 28, 2021, 08:43:57 PM »

True, he probably has a copy of it somewhere, probably on CD. ;) Also, I fixed your quote. Make sure to insert your reply below any [ / quote ] text in a quoted reply just so we're not all putting words into people's posts.

Sonically speaking, I've yet to listen to this album with headphones on, which I don't really do much of anymore, but since it isnt as abysmal as DT12's CD mastering was, I might make time to give it a Headphone spin.

-Marc.

Thanks Marc! Yes, James probably has a copy by now that it’s released.  :)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #984 on: October 29, 2021, 12:41:07 AM »
I did enjoy the title track while cleaning the car today but it's the lyrics that lifted it for me, not the melodies.

Car must've been super messy if it made you feel like you were achieving greatness

:lol I think it's what JP must have had in mind when he wrote it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #985 on: October 29, 2021, 01:35:29 AM »
One week later? Still fantastic. Loving this album, and everything it has to offer :metal

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #986 on: October 29, 2021, 02:18:52 AM »
Answering the call is to me already one of the best songs of Mangini era, after Breaking all illusions (instant classic) and Barstool warrior (which moved me to tears). Such a cool song, I especially like how James sounds on it, so confident, like it was made for him (unlike most DT songs sadly).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #987 on: October 29, 2021, 05:08:29 AM »
Answering the Call sounds like it could be on one of LaBrie's solo albums.

Anyone else feel there are some definite references to Change of Seasons in the title track?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #988 on: October 29, 2021, 05:11:58 AM »
Sing the chorus of Answering The Call, Sleeping Giant  and A Vjee back to back to back then tell us if they sound the same.

I am sitting here and honestly cannot remember the chorus to any of those songs.  That is how unmemorable all of them are to me so far.  They are not bad, they are just kinda there.

For me so far, Transcending Time and Awaken the Master are the only songs that are really sticking (mostly) from start to finish, and even those are songs I would merely call good.  I don't hear anything here that I can imagine some day thinking, "this is one of their best songs ever," and nearly every DT album usually has at least a few of those to me (even DT12 did at first, even if none of them are ones I would now think as one of their best).   

The bigger problem is that the album is less than a week old and I am already listening to a bunch of other stuff already. I have already moved on from this new album to other stuff.  A new DT album usually dominates my listening time for weeks (or months) after its release. 

I am glad some of you are enjoying this a lot, though.  :) :)

I'm only a third of the way through at this point (I'll listen to the rest tonight when driving to pick up my stepson) but I relate to this post most of all.   I listened to The Alien twice, Answering The Call twice and Invisible Monster once, and I can't sing you one line from any of the three songs.  Not one line. 

I don't hate it - the instrumental parts are killer and I love the guitar work in The Alien - but this isn't a release like the new Neal Morse Band or Iron Maiden, where I was almost eager to hear it again, as songs ("Bird On A Wire", "Senjutsu") swirled in my head.   

My two biggest criticisms are:

- one that is slowly getting more and more relevant with each release, and that is James isn't delivering the big hook anymore; that one vocal line that sticks in your head for days ("Like a scream but sort of silent... Living out my nightmares... VOICES repeating me" or "All that we learn... this time!" or especially "Without love, without truth, there can be no turning back!").  I think James needs to be pushed; I think the melodies and choruses they got when all three - Portnoy, Petrucci and LaBrie - were standing around the mic hammering out something good is something that is missing. 

- two, sorry, but Mangini.   I get it, he's great, and he's all over this album, but there's busy (good) and there's busy (bad).  I'm not a drummer, but I guess I'm a top of kit kind of guy.  Bruford, Peart, Collins...  I'm guessing it's Mangini's style, not the recording, but there's just so much damn BASS DRUM in the parts that Mangini is playing, and when he does leave the snare it all blends together and it's not musical or supportive of the lead instruments, it just seems intrusive.  I'm not sure there's even one point in any of the songs I heard that was as simple and propelling as bum-PAH like you'd hear in Kashmir or something like that.  Every part seems to have this staccato 16yth note (I don't know if that's accurate) bass drum attack to it and it's distracting.   If I had a dime for every bass note struck across the album I'd be able to pay DT to play in my back yard. 

I'll listen to this a couple times again, just because.  I'll have an hour in the car tonight to get through the rest and maybe repeat some listening.  I have to cut the lawn this weekend so I'll listen to it again there once or twice.   But wile I don't expect Dream Theater to recreate the wheel every time - I kind of hope they don't, because what they do well, they REALLY do well - but some of the things they as artists are choosing to bring forward don't, on this release anyway (I kind of liked Distance over Time) are not necessarily the things that attracted me to the band in the beginning.

I get what you mean regarding the big hook in the vocals.  JLB sounds good on this record, but it does feel like the melodies have been "dumbed down" a little in order to coincide with his current capabilities, thus the big hooks aren't there like in the past.

As for Mangini, he is obviously a beast of a drummer, but five albums in, I just don't connect with his drumming on any real level.  I always joke that my favorite drummers are the ones who get me to air drum on a regular basis - Peart, Portnoy, Bonham, Beauford, Collins, Moon - and I rarely air drum to Mangini's parts.  He is definitely an asset to the band, but he just isn't someone I would call one of my favorites.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #989 on: October 29, 2021, 06:06:56 AM »
Haven't seen anyone mention no Mangini lyrics this time. I liked Room 137 and you'd think he'd want to do more.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #990 on: October 29, 2021, 08:49:10 AM »
Answering the Call sounds like it could be on one of LaBrie's solo albums.

Anyone else feel there are some definite references to Change of Seasons in the title track?

YEs! When the quiet part in the middle starts, I can almost hear James kicking in with "I'll always remember...the chill of November"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #991 on: October 29, 2021, 10:11:20 AM »
Count me among those who don't get the few posters that have said that they find the vocal melodies unmemorable or feel that there is a lack of hooks on this album.  Given how many people in the thread (myself included) who have cited specific lines as being earworms from listen #1, I have have to disagree.  Tons of memorable vocal parts on this one. 

And I was about to say that Mike and James are easily the MVPs of this album.  But honestly, this is one of the few albums in awhile where, right off the bat, I can point to parts by any given member that are real standouts. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #992 on: October 29, 2021, 10:12:08 AM »
Haven't seen anyone mention no Mangini lyrics this time. I liked Room 137 and you'd think he'd want to do more.

I was definitely expecting another one of his for this album, but it didn't happen :huh:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #993 on: October 29, 2021, 10:15:00 AM »

I get what you mean regarding the big hook in the vocals.  JLB sounds good on this record, but it does feel like the melodies have been "dumbed down" a little in order to coincide with his current capabilities, thus the big hooks aren't there like in the past.

As for Mangini, he is obviously a beast of a drummer, but five albums in, I just don't connect with his drumming on any real level.  I always joke that my favorite drummers are the ones who get me to air drum on a regular basis - Peart, Portnoy, Bonham, Beauford, Collins, Moon - and I rarely air drum to Mangini's parts.  He is definitely an asset to the band, but he just isn't someone I would call one of my favorites.

So I finished listening through, and then got another whole listen in as well, and honestly nothing has changed.  I finally heard the two best songs on the album - Transcending Time and Awaken The Master - but they don't quite transcend the things that detract for me.   The only chorus or resolution with any ooompf to it for me is in Sleeping Giant, at the end when James comes back in after the interlude.  Pretty powerful, but only relatively.   There were moments in both Transcending Time and the title track where I was waiting for James to either go to that higher register or at least double his vocal with that higher register (like on the end of "This Is The Life", a technique I love and which can be easier to reproduce live) and he never did. 

The Mangini comments are, if anything, amplified.  I get what some are saying about "supporting" and I see what you mean, but I think we're saying something different.  Almost every track has a moment where Mangini is either doubling or accompanying Petrooch, but playing Morse code on the kick drum while John chugs the lower strings of his guitar - which seems to be the fall back position on the verses of many of the songs - isn't what I mean.  I'm talking about something like Phil Collins on the studio version of "In The Cage", where he's playing with tempos to underscore the music, or "Eleventh Earl Of Mar" where he's literally the sound of the marching armies, or in the live version of "In The Cage" where he - and Chester - are essentially calling out the changes in the medley (or answering Tony's call out of the changes in the medley.   There's a moment in one song - blanking on which one - where Jordan is playing these earthy, breathy string patches, almost legato lines, and there again is the duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh of the kick drum.   The best music for me is like a conversation, and I don't hear it in the new Dream Theater.  I just don't.  That's on me, not the band, I'm not saying anyone "sucks" or has "lost it" or anything like that. 

The two leads, though, John and Jordan, are at the top of their game.  I really like some of the lyrical stuff in The Alien (at the end) and I think it was in the mid section of the title track.   I will say this: I will probably go see them to see this music recreated live.  I think it might have the potential to get to another level live.

The tracks for me:

Transcending Time
Awaken The Master
A View From The Top Of The World
Sleeping Giant
The Alien
Answering The Call
Invisible Monster

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #994 on: October 29, 2021, 10:45:48 AM »
Count me among those who don't get the few posters that have said that they find the vocal melodies unmemorable or feel that there is a lack of hooks on this album.  Given how many people in the thread (myself included) who have cited specific lines as being earworms from listen #1, I have have to disagree.  Tons of memorable vocal parts on this one. 

I heavily agree. Keep in mind i don't even listen to prog metal anymore and i'm enjoying this album a lot. The vocal melodies are a big reason why.

Another thing i liked is that DT been putting some nice singles nowadays. I didn't listen to Distance Over Time in its entirety but Paralyzed is quite good, as The Alien and Invisible Monster. The latest two seemed like generic DT songs at the beginning but some later parts elevated them for me (the bridges, choruses and the "I'm the Alien..." part"). Not counting that they sound pretty good in the context of the album.

If i would rank the DT albums like during the old times, this would be pretty high. Maybe 5º, just behind the big 4.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #995 on: October 29, 2021, 10:58:23 AM »

And I was about to say that Mike and James are easily the MVPs of this album.  But honestly, this is one of the few albums in awhile where, right off the bat, I can point to parts by any given member that are real standouts.

There are a ton of hooks on the album... the question is whether or not they are good or impactful.   My issue is that many of the choruses sound similar and to me they come off as "generic".    I don't like when Labrie overdubs himself several times as I think its less impactful and it stands out less.

I try not to bring him up too often... but in listening back to the classics I think I took for granted Portnoy as a backround vocalist.  He brought a much needed change of pace and some of the "call and response" that he and Labrie would do was really good.

I think The Alien, Invisible Monster, and the title track have proper choruses that work and stand out.    The rest of the choruses are very bland to me. 

The IM chorus still lacks energy though... I know they went for mid tempo, but a LITTLE more tempo would have helped here. 

The title track chorus is great, super Iron Maiden like.   I wish it was young James singing it but he does a serviceable job.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 11:47:00 AM by lovethedrake »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #996 on: October 29, 2021, 10:59:00 AM »

All of this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #997 on: October 29, 2021, 11:26:55 AM »
In terms of playing, Mangini is probably the MVP for me but Myung is awesome here too.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #998 on: October 29, 2021, 11:38:57 AM »

Throwing another +1 on this.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #999 on: October 29, 2021, 11:39:53 AM »

Throwing another +1 on this.

+1

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1000 on: October 29, 2021, 12:01:59 PM »
The more I listen to the album, the more I am appreciating the vocal melodies. Top two lines for me:

Answering the Call: "Radiant we'll shine, heart and soul, one mind"
Awaken the master: "Spinning through life, lost in the spiral of time"
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1001 on: October 29, 2021, 12:08:19 PM »
I really like this part in the title track:

“All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am”

Sounds like classic JLB to me..

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1002 on: October 29, 2021, 12:12:02 PM »

That whole section is amazing.  Best part of the album IMO.  I mentioned on the title track thread that I wish the whole album was like that.   Sounds like 90's DT and 90's James.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1003 on: October 29, 2021, 12:22:55 PM »

Agree that it feels like classic JLB, and the bass tone in that part is  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1004 on: October 29, 2021, 12:33:37 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 12:43:35 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1005 on: October 29, 2021, 12:37:50 PM »
HOW BOUT IF I PUNCH YOU WITH SOME ENERGY THE NAME TIME YOU CRITICIZE THE CHORUSES, HUH?  HOW BOUT DAT??  >:(  >:( >:(

Just kidding, man.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1006 on: October 29, 2021, 12:45:52 PM »

Yep, this is one of the best passages in the whole album. That change is unexpected and then some vocal melodies too, like "Helping me understand" in unison with the piano melody (if i'm not mistaken).

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1007 on: October 29, 2021, 12:56:34 PM »
A couple of other mentions while I’m listening to it:

“Returning to the womb” - the harmonies here made me instantly think of Pink Floyd. Not sure if it was deliberate, but a cool little nod.

Also, the solo section after “A journey into darkness beckons me”. This must be one of the slowest tempos they’ve ever done, but I love how the solo fits. It’s relaxed, meandering, and there’s plenty of space to let it “sing”. Probably my favourite solo of the whole album.

Edit: should have posted this in the song’s own thread! :)

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1008 on: October 29, 2021, 12:56:47 PM »

Yep, this is one of the best passages in the whole album. That change is unexpected and then some vocal melodies too, like "Helping me understand" in unison with the piano melody (if i'm not mistaken).

I also love "the will of the soul" part on Awaken the Master.  Not as good as the "all my natural instincts" part but man that "will of the soul" part just smacks you right in the face. 

Im definitely enjoying the album.  I think it takes a lot of the best parts of ADTOE, D/T and DOT and makes a solid album.  It won't reach the heights of the Pre TOT outlook but I think it has a legit chance to take spot #5 on my list.   After my first couple listens I had it #13 so its definitely grown quite a bit.  There are things holding it back but its quite good. 

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1009 on: October 29, 2021, 01:15:23 PM »
James LaBrie sounds great on this album. I still need a few more listens to absorb everything, but the most memorable parts so far have been the vocals. The best instances are the "Scars you can't erase..." section from ATC, IM's chorus, "Traaaaanscending time" from TT, ATM's chorus, and the title track's chorus. There's lots of cool stuff going on with the instruments, too, but James in particular just has so many good moments.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: October 29, 2021, 01:28:18 PM »
Only had 2 listens and still no urge to check this album again.  I guess I should give it another chance though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RAIN

« Reply #1011 on: October 29, 2021, 01:59:22 PM »
The chorus melody for Invisible Monster is constantly in my head, very catchy.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #1012 on: October 29, 2021, 02:17:29 PM »
Finished first listen : wow, there's a lot to digest! Unfortunately, I too find the vocal melodies unmemorable, but we'll see after multiple listens. As of now, I find all the songs a little samey, but that might change as well. Will listen to it again tomorrow in my car.

B.Lee

I actually found the vocal lines to be some of the best in years. I feel like James is coming back into his own. I think what excites me the most is the choruses. They just sound like some of the best in years. Just my opinion though.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1013 on: October 29, 2021, 02:37:44 PM »
HOW BOUT IF I PUNCH YOU WITH SOME ENERGY THE NAME TIME YOU CRITICIZE THE CHORUSES, HUH?  HOW BOUT DAT??  >:(  >:( >:(

Just kidding, man.  :lol

Didn't they release a version without the choruses called "Magnum Opus".  :lol :lol :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1014 on: October 29, 2021, 03:04:28 PM »