Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 145200 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #490 on: October 23, 2021, 07:37:46 PM »
So I've been a Dream Theater fan for a long time. As big of a fan as I am, I can always find at least one dud on an album.

To me, this is their third album in their catalog that there are ZERO duds. The other two for me being I&W and SFAM.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #491 on: October 23, 2021, 07:42:20 PM »
So I've been a Dream Theater fan for a long time. As big of a fan as I am, I can always find at least one dud on an album.

To me, this is their third album in their catalog that there are ZERO duds. The other two for me being I&W and SFAM.

I feel the same way. To me this is such a consistently strong album without any weak tracks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #492 on: October 23, 2021, 07:50:20 PM »
Yeah, and that said, I rank ADTOE as my favorite MM Era album. But even that has BMUBMD, and I rank every song on AVFTTOTW over OTBOA. But the rest of ADTOE has such a great emotional connection, I can't rank AVFTTOTW over it...yet.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #493 on: October 23, 2021, 07:51:18 PM »
It’s really growing on me… I ranked it their 13th best album earlier today but now im thinking it could be more between 5-7.

The highs aren’t as high as normal, but it’s true that all 7 tracks are good. 

Probably the first time I can say that since six degrees.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #494 on: October 23, 2021, 07:55:03 PM »
It’s really growing on me… I ranked it their 13th best album earlier today but now im thinking it could be more between 5-7.

That's quite a jump in just a few hours. :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #495 on: October 23, 2021, 07:55:45 PM »

Nice, if Awake didn’t have Space dye vest it would be on my list of no duds. They should have included Forever instead.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #496 on: October 23, 2021, 07:57:32 PM »

That's quite a jump in just a few hours. :lol

Haha I know… sometimes it just starts to click!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: October 23, 2021, 07:57:48 PM »

I can get on board with this assessment, though I might swap out Awake for Scenes, not because Scenes has any duds, but song-for-song I find Awake much stronger.

This is the album that should have followed TA.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #498 on: October 23, 2021, 07:58:14 PM »

Nice, if Awake didn’t have Space dye vest it would be on my list of no duds. They should have included Forever instead.

I listened to that today… I really like that song!  The samples are kind of cheesy but the rest is great.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #499 on: October 23, 2021, 07:58:36 PM »

Space Dye Vest is awesome. Always was and always will be. For years, my Awake didn't start until Erotomania, and even then I still skipped over The Mirror and Lie.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #500 on: October 23, 2021, 07:59:43 PM »
They should have included Forever instead.

To Live Forever?? No Way. That song blows monkey chunks.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #501 on: October 23, 2021, 08:02:56 PM »

The highs aren’t as high as normal, but it’s true that all 7 tracks are good. 

Probably the first time I can say that since six degrees.

My first impression and comments on it at another forum was that it was a very good album but the songs were all a tad 'safe' and samey. With subsequent listens I've realised how wrong that first impression was. There's so much going on here and discovering it all listen by listen has been a joy. I'm legit obsessed with the title track right now, it just feels so natural, nothing is forced, at no point do I get the sense they consciously decided to break the 20-minute barrier so they can have another 'epic'. It just feels like another DT song that happens to be 20 minutes long because that's what it called for.

My 2 favourite bands are Pink Floyd and Genesis and both of those bands made precisely 15 albums before calling it a day. The 15th album for each band was relatively shite (The Endless River and Calling All Stations). Bravo to DT for putting out something of this quality 15 records in.     

Offline Glasser

« Reply #502 on: October 23, 2021, 08:04:56 PM »

I love it. What tracks on DT12 are duds for you? I don’t think it has any.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #503 on: October 23, 2021, 08:05:28 PM »
I'm... really liking it. This was the type of follow-up I wanted to Dramatic Turn 10 years ago, and I wasn't expecting to like it after the last three albums but, yeah. Good stuff. Too early to call a favorite or anything, or even really memorize anything, but it'll definitely get some repeated listenings.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #504 on: October 23, 2021, 08:06:03 PM »
The title track does not feel 20 minutes long. I roll my eyes at most 20 minute songs, but this is so easy to follow, yet is never dull.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #505 on: October 23, 2021, 08:11:23 PM »
The title track does not feel 20 minutes long. I roll my eyes at most 20 minute songs, but this is so easy to follow, yet is never dull.

That's another thing I liked about the album. None of the songs feel like they're as long as they are. They manage to stay interesting and hold my attention. When I did peak my head up to see how much time was left on certain tracks, I was surprised to see one or two minutes left. Real strong songwriting here.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #506 on: October 23, 2021, 08:16:01 PM »

So that's a good question actually. I rate DT12 as my least fave of the MM Era. It's not even a contest honestly. But the funny thing is there's really no song I dislike. I just don't think it's very strong.

False Awakening Suite...Fucking coolest opening ever!!
The Enemy Inside...Great tune..The MM Era's Panic Attack.
The Looking Glass...It dabbled in steroids and became Transcending Time
Enigma Machine...I don't not like it, but I'd take Raw Dog over it every day
The Bigger Picture...This song also took steroids and became At Wit's End
Behind The Veil..Perhaps it's the subject matter, but I don't really care for this song
Surrender To Reason...Great tune.
Along For The Ride..Not a dud but....it's OK.
Illumination Theory..Great epic ruined by two points. the needless orchestral section in the middle (WTF'nF?) and James' (who I do love) awful "You're neeeevvvvveeerrrr alone" ending.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #507 on: October 23, 2021, 08:26:11 PM »

So that's a good question actually. I rate DT12 as my least fave of the MM Era. It's not even a contest honestly. But the funny thing is there's really no song I dislike. I just don't think it's very strong.

False Awakening Suite...Fucking coolest opening ever!!
The Enemy Inside...Great tune..The MM Era's Panic Attack.
The Looking Glass...It dabbled in steroids and became Transcending Time
Enigma Machine...I don't not like it, but I'd take Raw Dog over it every day
The Bigger Picture...This song also took steroids and became At Wit's End
Behind The Veil..Perhaps it's the subject matter, but I don't really care for this song
Surrender To Reason...Great tune.
Along For The Ride..Not a dud but....it's OK.
Illumination Theory..Great epic ruined by two points. the needless orchestral section in the middle (WTF'nF?) and James' (who I do love) awful "You're neeeevvvvveeerrrr alone" ending.

Impressive breakdown. I think Surrender To Reason is amazing as well. Chorus is huge and it has that Ozzy “Diary of a Madman” section that gives me goosebumps!!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #508 on: October 23, 2021, 08:27:20 PM »
This album needs more songs!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #509 on: October 23, 2021, 08:28:38 PM »

Impressive breakdown.

Why, thank you sir! To me the problem with DT12 isn't the amount of lows, but the lack of highs.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #510 on: October 23, 2021, 08:36:38 PM »

Offline Volante99

« Reply #511 on: October 23, 2021, 08:38:40 PM »
I'm... really liking it. This was the type of follow-up I wanted to Dramatic Turn 10 years ago, and I wasn't expecting to like it after the last three albums but, yeah. Good stuff. Too early to call a favorite or anything, or even really memorize anything, but it'll definitely get some repeated listenings.

Same. This really feels like the spiritual successor to ADToE. Amazing musicianship, crazy instrumentals, twists and turns which give it replay value- a lot of things that DT12 and DoT were lacking. THIS feels like a true return to form for the band, doing what they do best with a modern/professional sounding production to back it up.

Petrucci and Mangini also seem to FINALLY be vibing and elevating the other’s performance. This is the first album where I feel like Portnoy’s presence wasn’t missing.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #512 on: October 23, 2021, 09:14:22 PM »
After a few days of listening, I find myself singing ALL the songs already, this album is really singable!!

On the other hand, as a few comments here already mentioned, it is the album with less "inspired" solos for me. I find almost all of them really not remarkable. The one I liked the most, as the whole section, is the more melodic part on the ATM intro, that was awesome! That whole vibe should have come back at the end of the song.

But the solo thing is not that crucial for me.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #513 on: October 23, 2021, 10:58:21 PM »
So I haven't been very active on the forums in a while, but I'd figure I'd come out of hiding temporarily to give my thoughts on this album and then disappear once again.

Overall, this is a very strong album. Is it one of my favorites? So far, I'd say no. After listening to it almost 10 times I can't say that I like it more than A Dramatic Turn of Events or Six Degrees or Octavarium, and definitely not more than SfaM or The Astonishing. I like it more than Distance Over Time for sure, and I think I like it more than Images & Words. I'm not quite sure if I like it more than Train of Thought, but they're about at the same place in my heart already. We'll have to see how well this album ages first though.

From my first ten impressions, this feels like a very refined Dream Theater. It doesn't try to reinvent the wheel, but instead takes the existing wheel and makes small improvements here and there to make a stronger performing wheel. There's more variation in the accompaniments to vocal and solo sections, the fast and loose approach to song structure that the last two albums took have been adapted into more traditional Dream Theater song formats, and the anthemic and sweet melodies of The Astonishing are used to add contrast within the songs. In fact, one of this album's strongest points is how good the vocal melodies are (especially the choruses). There are several that just worm their way inside your head and stick there. They make the vocal sections a nice breath of fresh air from the instrumental craziness and bring the two on almost equal footing.

Almost. Because while the vocal sections brought their A-game, so did the instrumental sections. In this album, it feels as if two shifts have largely taken place: first, that the "weight" of the instrumental sections has shifted more towards the introductions; and second, that the band has adapted more towards shorter, but more frequent solos. There are many more solos, but those solos in actuality take up just as much time as they did in previous albums. Outside of The Alien, the norm seems to be rapid-fire trade offs of four bar solos rather than extended eight to sixteen bar solos over a repeating riff. This seemingly minor shift creates a lot more variety in the accompaniment for the solos, to the point where the accompaniment becomes just as interesting as the solos at times (if not more so). The instrumental sections, probably as a consequence, seem to place a slightly larger emphasis on musical development during the solo trade offs. Which, in turn, gives a strong and cohesive feeling to sections of instrumental madness that are otherwise changing every three or four bars. Rudess in particular is doing a lot more shifts in tone color and phrasing to add even greater intrigue to every song. This album feels very contrapuntally focused from beginning to end. There's more variety in texture and greater uses of polyphony (where multiple distinct melodies are playing at the same time) and heterophony (where multiple parts are playing variations of the same melody). And of course, I would be remiss if I didn't point out the phenomenal production on this album. This is probably the best sounding Dream Theater album in the discography, right up there with The Astonishing.

The Alien is a very solid album opener and probably the best since On the Backs of Angels. It at times feels the most like "classic" Dream Theater while incorporating elements of this album's unique style, easing us into this new experience. While it strongly impressed me as a single, it works even better within the context of the album. This song has been picked apart enough for me to avoid going into too much detail. Overall Grade: A- ; Ranking: 4th

Answering the Call is a hardcore rocker that is reminiscent of a mixture of These Walls and On the Backs of Angels while adding its own flavor. The song as a whole has a energetic and playful quality while still being anthemic and "bust-your-balls-open-over-a-pan-like-its-about-to-make-the-world's-worst-omelet" heavy. The choruses and pre-choruses are insanely catchy, as are the 2nd verse and vocal bridge. The overall vibe of this song is just fun. It grooves a long at a good pace from beginning to end, never stopping for a second. There are also a lot of really interesting little touches here and there (like that upward scale fill during the orchestral section) and some great sound design choices in the intro/outro, which are weirdly reminiscent of psytrance, of all things. It's a fun song that feels like it's only 3 or 4 minutes long and I'm not sure why it was not a single. The only criticism I can offer it is that there's no "wow" moment to really make it stand out. It just is what it is. Overall Grade: A ; Ranking: 3rd

Invisible Monster was, at first listen, whelming. It has since grown on me, especially after hearing it in context. It's a nice breather in the album between the first two tracks and Sleeping Giant. It's catchy, moody, and does a lot with a little. It has what is one of the strongest highlights of the album in my view, which is the baroque section of the guitar solo. Sure it's not the flashiest song on the album, but it's just solid overall. Overall Grade: B+ ; Ranking: 7th

Sleeping Giant, on the other hand, was love at first sight. This song is incredible. If it's not a Top 10 Dream Theater song, it's Top 15. This song feels like it's 4 minutes long. It grasps your attention immediately and never lets go. The vocal sections are all insanely well-done and super catchy and anthemic. This is the kind of song where I'll pump my fist in the air along with it as soon as I make sure no one is watching. I'll be honest, when I first heard the snippets on Inside Out a while back, this was the song I was the least excited for. Now it's my favorite song on the album. This song slaps. Overall Grade: A+ ; Ranking: 1st

Transcending Time has gotten better on each listen, even if it sounds like Dream Theater covering a really good Rush song that also happens to be an anime opening. Usually the Rushesque songs are not my cup of tea (The Looking Glass is my least favorite song on DT12 and Barstool Warrior is my least favorite on Velocity d/t), but this is easily the best among them. What elevates this song beyond its predecessors is what Rudess does on it. The piano sections are easily the best part of the song, and his 80s outrun/synthwave synth brass songs add a lot of charm to it. The call and response between the chorus and the synth theme is another nice touch. The guitar solo is also very strong, especially the section with the descending runs and insane shreddy bits. Overall it's a good song and a nice breather that I still enjoy despite it not really being my cup of tea. (Also, every time I listen to this song I picture rolling European countrysides. What's up with that?) Overall Grade: B+ ; Ranking: 6th

Awaken the Master can be best summed up with a stank face. And another and another and another. This isn't even a song, it's just a chain of stank face inducing moments. Of particular note is those grand piano chords and guitar theme, which might be my favorite moment on the album (or second favorite). This song remind me the most of other bands outside of the title track, with little bits reminding me of Neal Morse, Diablo Swing Orchestra (yes really), LTE, and even doom metal. This song is nuts and is the strongest contender for "9 minutes on the album, but 14 minutes live" they've had in years. This song strongly impressed me on first list, but has simmered down a little bit. While it is a fantastic song in its own right, it shares a lot of material with the next song that there are definite moments where it feels like "A View from the Top of the World, Pt. 1". Even the lyrics to the song seem to be treading the same ground as the epic, albeit from a different perspective. Is it still great? Yes. But it does kind of blend in with the title track a bit. Overall Grade: A ; Ranking: 2nd

A View from the Top of the World is an odd song and one that I have mixed opinions about. Fitting its subject matter, the song hits some of the highest peaks and the lowest valleys in the album. First, as was mentioned a couple of times (by bossk I believe), this song tends to bring epics by other bands to mind more than other Dream Theater epics. Its overall role and impact on the album remind me of Song of Myself/Imaginaerum by Nightwish, the music reminds me of Symphony X's The Odyssey and Haken's Crystallised and The Architect, and the feeling overall is more comparable to Strauss's Alpine Symphony. Second, is that at times this song doesn't feel like an epic but rather a song that just happens to be 20 minutes long. It's a curious piece of music overall, but it does what it sets out to accomplish very well: cap off the album. In a sense, the song does it in the same way as the previously mentioned Nightwish track: it brings back a number of moments from the past songs (especially Awaken the Master) to give the album a sense of finality (a variation of the opening melody of Sleeping Giant is heard right at the end, for instance).  It has potential to be one of Dream Theater's best songs and take its place in the pantheon of great epics, but there are a few things holding it back. The first is that the song is missing something, and something very specific: a final reprise of the absolutely phenomenal chorus right before the extended outro. This reprise would work both from a musical stand point (providing that "peak" at the end that others have been missing out on and bringing back familiar material to add a sense of release right at the end) and a lyrical one (the final chorus would reflect back on the last verse and gain additional meaning after the final section and the whole emotional journey of the song. The second is that the cello should be played by a real player. Right now it sits in an awkward uncanny valley zone where Rudess has played it on the GeoShred so phenomenally that it sounds almost exactly like a cello but the overall timbre is just slightly off. Outside of those two criticisms, this song stands very strong. There are a lot of moments among the album's best offerings (the riff and entire section from 14:10 onwards, just that entire middle section especially vocal interjection, etc.) and the chorus stands as without a doubt the strongest chorus on the album. Overall, the good definitely outweighs the bad. In effect, the song encapsulates the entire album: it's great music, but not without some flaws. Overall Grade: A- ; Ranking: 5th

Current ranking:
1. Sleeping Giant (A+)
2. Awaken the Master (A)
3. Answering the Call (A)
4. The Alien (A-)
5. A View from the Top of the World (A-)
6. Transcending Time (B+)
7. Invisible Monster (B+)

Overall Grade: 9/10, A

This is definitely the strongest contender for my album of the year. The only competition it has right now is Leprous' Aphelion which this blows out of the water (and that's saying something because Aphelion was so good it made me like the entire band).  The new Diablo Swing Orchestra could give it a run for its money though.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #514 on: October 24, 2021, 12:10:02 AM »
On album of the year? It’s this easily.
Then, Curse of Autumn
Then, Senjutsu
Everything else was just for fun

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #515 on: October 24, 2021, 12:40:50 AM »
So I haven't been very active on the forums in a while, but I'd figure I'd come out of hiding temporarily to give my thoughts on this album and then disappear once again.

Wow. What a post! Fantastic breakdown.  :hefdaddy
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #516 on: October 24, 2021, 12:50:17 AM »
Sleeping Giant, on the other hand, was love at first sight. This song is incredible.

Yeah this song was definitely the sleeper hit. The hype reviews all of course praised it, but most of the attention went to Awaken the Master. I'm right there with you I was listening the first time and thinking it was amazing. Goes between so many different styles so fluidly. Has so many cool little sections. The second "shadows disappear" chorus (about halfway through) is one of my favorite moments on the album.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #517 on: October 24, 2021, 01:35:11 AM »
Space Dye Vest is awesome.

Sailing completely off topic here, but I agree the most. Space-Dye Vest is one of Awake's very best songs.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Volante99

« Reply #518 on: October 24, 2021, 01:40:47 AM »
In fact, one of this album's strongest points is how good the vocal melodies are (especially the choruses).

Disagree completely. After 3 albums where the vocals have been front and center and much more emphasis placed on the “song”, this album showcases the instrumental sections as the focal point. My main complaint with the first release of The Alien was the weak vocal melodies but really the whole album just seems neutral on vocals. Now, I haven’t listened to the thing 10 times but I have given it 3 spins, and I honestly can’t say I can remember a single chorus with the exception of Answering the Call and Transcending Time. It doesn’t speak much to JLB’s performance but the album just seems much more preoccupied with melting my face off with heavy riffs and jams. And after the focus of the last three albums, it’s honestly a welcomed change.

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #519 on: October 24, 2021, 01:53:34 AM »
Ninjabait, I don't know what made you disappear for a while, but it's a shame you already pronounced that you'll be leaving soon enough. Hope ye crawl out of your shelter any time soon, because your post was really worthwhile. I enjoyed reading it.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #520 on: October 24, 2021, 01:56:09 AM »
Sleeping Giant has a hell of a singable chorus. And the outro vocals are amazing (just like the outro vocals of The Alien).

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #521 on: October 24, 2021, 02:12:53 AM »
I don't think my first few listens left me as excited as I thought I'd be, but this album is growing on me bit by bit as I wrap my head around each of the song structures. So far not my favourite DT album of the 10s/20s but it's damn good. :tup
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #522 on: October 24, 2021, 02:23:12 AM »
Moreso than any of the albums in the last 10 years, this thing is a grower. Cannot stress that enough.
The first few spins I enjoyed it a lot, but it wasn't connecting to me, some transitions felt cold and awkward and the melodies just were not jumping out.
Finally now, this thing is starting to "unlock" itself. This is filled with great, powerful vocal melodies and exciting songwriting. I would say its just more rhythmically complex than we have become used to lately, especially with the s/t, TA, DOT. I fear a lot of people will dismiss this after 1 or 2 listens, which is a real shame.

Also, as a side note - having not heard the singles beforehand, I do not get the hate for Invisible Monster. Is it a bias as people see it as "just the single"? Great song to me, melodic, catchy, great solo, some neat FII feeling in places as well.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #523 on: October 24, 2021, 03:13:49 AM »
I would say its just more rhythmically complex than we have become used to lately, especially with the s/t, TA, DOT. I fear a lot of people will dismiss this after 1 or 2 listens, which is a real shame.

I agree with the rhythmic complexity. The start of the title track is a good example. I have no idea what’s going on there. It’s almost impossible to tap your foot to, or time when the accents are happening, but it’s really cool. It’s almost a relief when the “gallop” section starts and you’re thinking “Ah, here we go!”

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: October 24, 2021, 04:21:02 AM »
Just sitting down now for my first listen.  As a lot of you know I had pretty negative reactions to the two singles.  Going into this totally open minded.

Straight up, The Alien already sounds better through my system as opposed to Youtube.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.