Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 127662 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #420 on: October 11, 2021, 12:47:01 PM »
Until the store changes where items are - which happens surprisingly regularly.

No it doesn't. That's a myth.

Even while undergoing a remodel over the past 2 years?  ???

Oh OK. A remodel..sure. Yes things get moved.
A 2 year remodel?? Wow!

What chain?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #421 on: October 11, 2021, 02:01:07 PM »
Hmmm....this gets close to the TP roll division (up and over or hanging down the back?) but I might just die on this hill.  I'm fanatical about how the dishwasher gets loaded in our house because I want the dishes CLEAN.  Aside from knives (which I tend to hand wash anyway to keep them sharp) I also put the handle end down and I'll explain why.....soap and dirty water residue.  When the handle is down, this all drips down away from the parts of the silverware that ends up in my mouth.

First of all, if you have a dishwasher that works worth a damn, this isn't an issue at all.  I've never seen a dishwasher without a rinse cycle, so I can't conceive why there would be either soap or dirty water residue.  Does your dishwasher use dirty water for the rinse cycle?  If any of that is true, you likely need a new dishwasher.  Second, why does this residue drip down from top part of the utensil but not drip down off the bottom part?

Glasses are in the upper rack only, so residue drips down.

I don't worry about the edges of the plates where the residue on the bottom rack would wind up.

So...the water knows to move past the parts of the plate where food ends up and only stay on the edges?  And the same gravity that causes water/residue to drop completely off glasses on the top rack doesn't work the same way with the utensils?   :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Harmony

« Reply #422 on: October 11, 2021, 03:32:26 PM »
Ok, forget I said anything.  I'll just keep doing what feels right for me and my family.

I wasn't trying to convince anyone here of anything.  Just explaining why I do things the way that I do.  When I open my dishwasher I see residue.  My dishwasher isn't that old.  People have different kinds of detergents and water hardness scales.

Thanks for all the judgment heaped on me.  Talk about things I find exasperating.   ::)
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline pg1067

« Reply #423 on: October 11, 2021, 04:05:45 PM »
Ok, forget I said anything.  I'll just keep doing what feels right for me and my family.

I wasn't trying to convince anyone here of anything.  Just explaining why I do things the way that I do.  When I open my dishwasher I see residue.  My dishwasher isn't that old.  People have different kinds of detergents and water hardness scales.

Thanks for all the judgment heaped on me.  Talk about things I find exasperating.   ::)

I was going to apologize if my post seemed harsh (which wasn't the intent), but then I saw that garbage private message you sent me, so never mind.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Harmony

« Reply #424 on: October 11, 2021, 04:15:51 PM »

I was going to apologize if my post seemed harsh (which wasn't the intent), but then I saw that garbage private message you sent me, so never mind.

Yeah, I probably should've just posted the PM here like I wanted to but thought I'd give you my thoughts privately since I didn't want to stoop to your level.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: October 11, 2021, 05:33:25 PM »
Am I the only one that washes dishes by hand?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #426 on: October 11, 2021, 06:06:12 PM »
My wife. I need to buy a dishwasher.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #427 on: October 11, 2021, 06:10:16 PM »
I never knew dishwasher talk could get so heated. Can we go back to talking about shopping carts??

We put our spoons handles down, but knives and forks go heads down.

We were married for a few years before we bought a dishwasher. Our house had an old kitchen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: October 12, 2021, 02:00:04 AM »
I live on my own. I wash up my pans and plate after eating and put them away. Easy. Never understood how 'student' type people have 100 plates and they use a different one

every time - and their kitchen looks like a bomb went off. :/

Just wash up your ONE plate and mug and saucepan / whatever after you use it and clean up as you go.

Had enough of sharing a house with people who would just put stuff in the sink and think it would magically clean itself.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #429 on: October 12, 2021, 07:23:41 AM »
This is a topic close to my heart; I do 99% of the cooking, and probably 85% of the cleanup.  I hand-wash the pans and the preparation knives/utensils.   We dishwash all the plateware and silverware used for eating and periodically I will put in the "spatula" (it's not but close) I used for saute-ing.   I can look at a plate/silverware in the dishwasher and tell you who put it there.   Me:  top shelf starting from the back, "open" sides down; bottom shelf, plates in a line (rinsed) and silverware evenly spaced, used-side UP.   The wife USUALLY follows this, though the silverware is often handle side up.  Kids:  everything jammed to the front.  ALL the silverware in the first bin (I'd bet a round of drinks he doesn't even pull out the slide) hap-hazardly jammed in.

I put the silverware in hand down, "used" side up to facilitate cleaning.  I don't know if it's myth or paranoia or what, but I worry being jammed in the bin restricts the water/soap flow and reduces the "cleaning efficiency".   I do 90% of the unloading, so I'm usually cognizant of not getting impaled.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 10:21:54 AM by Stadler »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: October 12, 2021, 07:28:16 AM »
If I make a proper dinner using pans and the hob etc etc. If I don't clean up as I go or immediately after i'm done- then I definitely do after i've finished eating.

Being in a horrible dirty filthy cluttered environment makes me feel really uncomfortable. Not in an OCD way but I can't properly feel relaxed if my

house is a complete mess.  I used to go round my friend's farm-house to jam - and his house was like a warehouse with sofas in it. With a mouldy damp kitchen

and used plates and pans everywhere. I don't know how people can live like that. It's like living in a garage.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: October 12, 2021, 08:14:44 AM »
I never knew dishwasher talk could get so heated. Can we go back to talking about shopping carts??

:rollin I was literally thinking this debate might be the new shopping cart topic for DTF in 2021

I also cannot stand having pots and pans and plates all dirty and all over the place.  I often times will leave dinner dishes in the sink at night (I often eat dinner fairly late) and then clean them when I get home the next day or the next morning, but very very rarely any longer than that because I don't like the clutter.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #432 on: October 12, 2021, 08:47:43 AM »

I do as well. The way things go, if my partner does the cooking (most of the time), then I do the dishes. If I'm the one who cooks (sometimes), then she does the dishes. It works. We had a dishwasher at our previous apartment. Lived there for 6 years and we used it less than a dozen times.

In terms on how to place silverware, handles up, always.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: October 12, 2021, 08:52:12 AM »
My gf's home doesn't have a dishwasher.  It's funny when we finish home cook meals and she just starts hand cleaning everything and I'm like "hey, just put it in the dishwasher after you rinse the food off" and she's always responding "why? I'm already half way done cleaning them at that point"  :lol Living solo, I could totally survive without a dish washer, but it is handy.  My house actually didn't come with one, but we ripped out a cabinet to install one.  While not 100% needed, I think it's more useful than that extra cabinet.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #434 on: October 12, 2021, 09:32:23 AM »

:rollin I was literally thinking this debate might be the new shopping cart topic for DTF in 2021

Me:

Also me:

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #435 on: October 12, 2021, 10:27:08 AM »
My food safety training, and pretty much every restaurant in the country, does it handles down,with a very thorough rinse before going into the machine.

@harmony,thanjs for hand washing knives, they appreciate the love.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: October 12, 2021, 10:33:46 AM »
I'm mixed.  I often do spoons with the handles down, because they're more apt to .... spoon! and then have food still caked on.

Pots, pans, major utensils... all get hand washed, and drip-dried.  Knives are always lovingly dried and put away in their proper place.  :)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: October 12, 2021, 10:36:32 AM »
What's the benefit to hand washing knives?  But the chef has spoken on the debate in the dish washer

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #438 on: October 12, 2021, 10:55:58 AM »

I do as well. The way things go, if my partner does the cooking (most of the time), then I do the dishes. If I'm the one who cooks (sometimes), then she does the dishes. It works. We had a dishwasher at our previous apartment. Lived there for 6 years and we used it less than a dozen times.

In terms on how to place silverware, handles up, always.

LOL. I do the same thing. I wash dishes by hand. I use the dishwasher to place the washed items and let them dry there (without turning on the dishwasher).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #439 on: October 12, 2021, 11:27:42 AM »
What's the benefit to hand washing knives?  But the chef has spoken on the debate in the dish washer

For higher end knives, the laminates and wood often in the handles don't hold well to the hot water, and the metal doesn't play nicely with the corrosive agents in the dish soap. My knife set totals well over a grand, and I'll get a lifetime of service out of it through proper TLC.
I'm mixed.  I often do spoons with the handles down, because they're more apt to .... spoon! and then have food still caked on.

Pots, pans, major utensils... all get hand washed, and drip-dried.  Knives are always lovingly dried and put away in their proper place.  :)

Hence the rinse before putting in the machine part.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: October 12, 2021, 11:34:38 AM »
My knives are fairly cheap (one set was $100 bucks and another set which isn't even metal was a gift).  I've been washing them in the dishwasher for years and they haven't started having any issues yet.  There's no wood involved so maybe that's part of it.  But yeah, if I invested in a nice set I should probably do what's right.  It wouldn't even take that long to clean the knives, I just never even thought about it. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #441 on: October 12, 2021, 11:49:55 AM »
My knives are fairly cheap (one set was $100 bucks and another set which isn't even metal was a gift).  I've been washing them in the dishwasher for years and they haven't started having any issues yet.  There's no wood involved so maybe that's part of it.  But yeah, if I invested in a nice set I should probably do what's right.  It wouldn't even take that long to clean the knives, I just never even thought about it.

I notice that some of my non-serrated knives get dull quicker after being in the dishwasher, since dishwasher soap is abrasive and gritty.  Handwashing tends to extend the amount of time before needed to sharpen them.  It also keeps the blade cleaner and free of stains or rust.

My wife just throws them in the dishwasher and I tend to just sharpen them anyways before putting them away.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #442 on: October 12, 2021, 12:05:07 PM »
Knives definitely dull faster in the dishwasher.  I think it is because they clang around against the other flatware.  The chefs here can attest to this being a fact, I'm sure.  But that has always been my reason for hand washing them.  We have an electric sharpener and about twice a year they get sharpened and man, they are better than any Ginsu knife at cutting. (The old folks among us will get the reference.)  We have to put warning post-its on the knife block lest someone slice off a finger on accident.  That would typically be for me.   :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: October 12, 2021, 12:08:16 PM »
Does anyone else separate the silverware in the dishwasher?  Like my side has 5 smaller areas to put silverware and for some reason I usually segregate them.  Not sure why I do that, must be an OCD type thing. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #444 on: October 12, 2021, 12:38:57 PM »
We handwash our real knives, but for our regular steak knives, they do go in the dishwasher.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: October 12, 2021, 12:40:54 PM »
Knives definitely dull faster in the dishwasher.  I think it is because they clang around against the other flatware.  The chefs here can attest to this being a fact, I'm sure.  But that has always been my reason for hand washing them.  We have an electric sharpener and about twice a year they get sharpened and man, they are better than any Ginsu knife at cutting. (The old folks among us will get the reference.)  We have to put warning post-its on the knife block lest someone slice off a finger on accident.  That would typically be for me.   :lol

For years I would cut a tin can in half before I sliced any tomato.   I figured that was how it was done!  ;) :) :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: October 12, 2021, 01:25:59 PM »

For years I would cut a tin can in half before I sliced any tomato.   I figured that was how it was done!  ;) :) :)

I trust you sprayed your bald-spot first?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: October 12, 2021, 01:28:59 PM »

I trust you sprayed your bald-spot first?

Of course! 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: October 12, 2021, 02:59:00 PM »
If my heating is on in my home - I get hot water AND all the radiators come on. Of course I can turn them all off individually...

But i find it obviously cheaper in the summer months to just not turn the heating on AT ALL and do my washing up with cold water.

If you use soap and a scourer - it's no different.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #449 on: October 12, 2021, 03:10:17 PM »

Depends on the knife. I mean for cheaper knives clanging around in the dishwasher could dull them, but they mostly dull because they're cheap, the metal isn't made for holding an edge. (and by cheap I'm referring to the bulk sets that cost under $100). My cheapest knives, what I would call throwaways/heavy duty knives, I use Forschners, they range from 10 to 40 bucks pending on the blade. My higher end knives I use for detail work are upwards of 200. I got friends who have individual knives that are over a grand.

I searched ginsu just for shits and giggles, I knew they were still sold even though the classic commercials are no more, and found this image. Funny that they have 'Dishwasher Safe' emblazoned on the blade...

Offline Harmony

« Reply #450 on: October 12, 2021, 04:49:14 PM »
Not only is it a classic - it's also where I first heard, "But wait!  There's more....."   :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wzULnlHr8w

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #451 on: October 12, 2021, 06:15:10 PM »
I swear some days I feel like I'm married to Laura Ingraham.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: October 12, 2021, 07:55:54 PM »
Not only is it a classic - it's also where I first heard, "But wait!  There's more....."   :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wzULnlHr8w

$10 !!!  And a 50 year guarantee.  :rollin :rollin

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: October 12, 2021, 09:53:44 PM »
I lived in all sorts of apartments in my 20s. Some did not have a microwave, some didn't have a W/D, some didn't jave cable TV (which was significant since this was before Netflix, Disney+ Hulu, etc...). I have never lived in any place that didn't have a dishwasher. I do recall rarely using it when I lived alone, and just hand-washing stuff most of the time. But even then I couldn't imagine not having one.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: October 13, 2021, 08:31:50 AM »
I swear some days I feel like I'm married to Laura Ingraham.

Are you venting, or does Laura Ingraham have some sort of relationship to dishwashers?   :) :)