Author Topic: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!  (Read 62630 times)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
Re: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!
« Reply #840 on: September 29, 2023, 07:43:26 PM »
Is this not out yet in the US? Amazon doesn't have it until October except on import, Laser CD doesn't have it listed.

Edit: remembered there was a production delay on this one. Still not really listed for sale on Amazon (you have to click through to a bunch of third party sellers). Kind of weird.

None of the local record stores in my area have it.

there were dozens of copies at my local record store in denver,,, weird!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline HOF

« Reply #841 on: September 29, 2023, 07:46:51 PM »
I don’t really have any local shops here anyway. Maybe Barnes & Nobles has it but I doubt it.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #842 on: September 29, 2023, 08:44:04 PM »
Wonderful, but very dense album. Really enjoyed it. Gonna need a few more listens to digest it.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #843 on: September 30, 2023, 11:50:24 AM »
Bought the digital deluxe version (for 4 UK pounds due to a bundle sale). Good first impression! It is very much focused on electronic sounds/soundscapes, but in a different way than The Future Bites.

I will say that I did end up really enjoying The Future Bites over the years though, I ended up listening to it frequently. I was initially not that impressed with it.

Also listened to Time is Running Out Mikael Akerfelt version, always love to hear Mikael sing! His version his quite different (mainly driven by vocals and piano)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: September 30, 2023, 01:15:15 PM »
Finally listening to it for the first time since the preview show earlier this week. Just finishing Economies of Scale. Stand by what I said a few days ago: this is a very grown up album so far. I like it.

Edit: finished now. Yeah. This is a really, really good album.

Did I dream you? Or are you dreaming me now?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 02:13:36 PM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online faizoff

« Reply #845 on: September 30, 2023, 09:37:02 PM »
Bought the digital deluxe version (for 4 UK pounds due to a bundle sale). Good first impression! It is very much focused on electronic sounds/soundscapes, but in a different way than The Future Bites.

I will say that I did end up really enjoying The Future Bites over the years though, I ended up listening to it frequently. I was initially not that impressed with it.

Also listened to Time is Running Out Mikael Akerfelt version, always love to hear Mikael sing! His version his quite different (mainly driven by vocals and piano)

Is that link only for customers of the SW Store? I don't think I'm getting my boxset for another couple of weeks from Burning Shed. I don't mind buying the digital version of boxset for a few bucks but I'm guessing that option isn't there for everyone.

Is this the deluxe edition that was offered?

According to the discog page, it's just the two tracks from the deluxe edition and 6 other tracks of audio from the short story being read by SW himself.

Found it, it's on the Global store and not the US store
Official Steven Wilson Store - Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex Deluxe Digital (stevenwilsonhq.com)

I think I'll wait for the boxset. 7$ for the album plus a few bonus tracks isn't a bad deal but I'm essentially paying for the spoken word which I don't think I'm going to really listen to much.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 10:10:42 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #846 on: October 01, 2023, 11:30:36 AM »
So I’ve been listening to The Harmony Codex and this album sounds amazing on good headphones. Also on my hi-fi set, but headphones specifically.
I’ve been hearing people rave about the album in Atmos and I believe them, but in stereo it already sounds totally immersive.

I have a hard time pointing to favourite tracks since I’m especially familiar with the pre-release singles. No song has hit me harder than Rock Bottom this year, that’s for sure. Fantastic ballad. Actual Brutal Facts is totally badass and Staircase really speaks to me on an emotional level. Also massive props to the guitar solos on this album, most notably by Niko Tsonev. They’re not as exuberant as Guthrie’s leads but I really dig his note choices and his low-gain super expressive sound.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline HOF

« Reply #847 on: October 01, 2023, 01:20:00 PM »
Yeah, it sounds awesome just on my standard iPhone ear buds.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #848 on: October 01, 2023, 03:24:51 PM »
It's been on near constant rotation since Friday for me.  I didn't listen to any of the singles prior to release, because I really wanted to be spoiler free and listen to it as an album experience.  This album is so much better than The Future Bites, and is a wonderful contrast from Closure/Continuation. I'm looking forward to doing a headphone listen as well, but man, this album is really beautiful.

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Kram

Offline Kram

« Reply #850 on: October 02, 2023, 09:24:07 AM »

Agreed.  The Future Bites was more electronic sounds to create pop oriented songs, and this sounds like he's using the electronic sounds to create more of a prog record.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #851 on: October 02, 2023, 02:52:58 PM »
Giving this a proper dedicated listen with my decent headphones :tup

Online nick_z

« Reply #852 on: October 02, 2023, 03:48:09 PM »

Agreed.  The Future Bites was more electronic sounds to create pop oriented songs, and this sounds like he's using the electronic sounds to create more of a prog record.

Yep, that’s a good way to put it

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #853 on: October 02, 2023, 05:07:55 PM »
What an album. Incredible. Multiple listens reveal it all. The Harmony Codex; The Steven Wilson Codex. His entire musical world is in there and it flows incredibly well in spite of the stylistic diversity. Few songs have hit me harder than Rock Bottom and Staircase this year. Literally tearing up. What bigger compliment can one give to music. This album is powerful as hell.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #854 on: October 02, 2023, 05:13:05 PM »
Ikr it's an excellent record, I can't believe it, but after so long, seems Steven has released something worth competing for AOTY.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 05:37:03 PM by Sacul »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #855 on: October 02, 2023, 05:31:37 PM »
Posta, es alto disco, no puedo creerlo pero luego de tanto tiempo, creo que el Esteban ha sacado un disco digno de competir por lo mejor del año.
It is a good disk yeah, not sure I would say is album of the year though.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #856 on: October 02, 2023, 05:38:02 PM »
I have listened to very few albums released this year so far, so the competition is not tough for me ;D

Offline Kocak

« Reply #857 on: October 03, 2023, 02:14:42 AM »
I love the second half drum layering of Beautiful Scarecrow.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #858 on: October 03, 2023, 05:39:54 PM »
A few more listens into this album, and I’m finding it’s just OK. And that’s just OK with me.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #859 on: October 03, 2023, 11:22:57 PM »
Staircase for me is the standout part of this.

Impossible Tightrope, What Life Brings, Economy of Scale, Inclination, and Time is Running Out I like all for the most part.

TIRO the vocal line sounds an awful lot like the Self-Titled Blackfield song at points.

The title track, Actual Brutal Facts and Beautiful Scarecrow I like moments on, but I seem to have more issues with, than things I like.

of course many reviews keep popping up on YouTube and other sites..I likely will include one on mine as well soon.

Online nick_z

« Reply #860 on: October 04, 2023, 05:33:59 AM »
The title-track has a cool mood, but I don’t think it has quite enough going on to justify its (almost) 10 minute runtime…

Online faizoff

« Reply #861 on: October 04, 2023, 06:06:48 AM »
I wonder if they're having stock issues, everything at Burning Shed says out of stock, most of the items in the SW store say sold out. Either this is selling incredibly well or they haven't had much inventory.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

« Reply #862 on: October 04, 2023, 07:26:01 AM »
after the future bites only sold 1 copy they probably didn't get a lot of stock ready for this one
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #863 on: October 04, 2023, 07:40:36 AM »
https://guitar.com/news/music-news/steven-wilson-guitar-players-and-tone/

Steven Wilson: “I’m constantly disappointed by extraordinary guitar players that have got no concept of how to change their tone”

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #864 on: October 04, 2023, 07:46:18 AM »
I wonder if they're having stock issues, everything at Burning Shed says out of stock, most of the items in the SW store say sold out. Either this is selling incredibly well or they haven't had much inventory.

Weren't some editions in those stores exclusive and limited? The regular editions are available everywhere over here.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #865 on: October 04, 2023, 09:42:13 AM »

Steven Wilson: “I’m constantly disappointed by extraordinary guitar players that have got no concept of how to change their tone”

-Marc.

Wonder who he's passive aggressively taking a jab at this time

« Reply #866 on: October 04, 2023, 10:01:16 AM »

-Marc.

probably john petrucci :metal

mans is just jealous tho!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #867 on: October 04, 2023, 10:20:06 AM »

-Marc.

Rothery?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #868 on: October 04, 2023, 10:40:17 AM »

-Marc.

Honestly, it's anyone not named Steven Wilson.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kram

« Reply #869 on: October 04, 2023, 10:50:48 AM »

-Marc.

Honestly, it's anyone not named Steven Wilson.
Anyone who’s a better guitar player than he is.

« Reply #870 on: October 04, 2023, 10:51:05 AM »
it's funny because SW has a very obvious/noticeable guitar tone and has for years now :lol
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #871 on: October 04, 2023, 11:03:53 AM »
He's not an 'extraordinary' guitar player though so it doesn't apply to him...

I found the new album kinda dull if I'm being honest. He knocked it out of the park with his first four solo albums and I've struggled to have much enthusiasm for anything he's done since.

Last track was pretty good though.

Online faizoff

« Reply #872 on: October 05, 2023, 05:42:47 AM »
Finally got my shipping notice from Burning Shed. Album's been on repeat since release week. Still don't have a favorite, Impossible Tightrope has some really fun passages, I like the Rush parts and the keys played by Adam which Steven then added a vocal overlay based on that melody near the end of the track.

So many great moments, also love the ending of Economies of Scale.

« Reply #873 on: October 05, 2023, 07:48:03 AM »
i really liked the album when i listened to it but i haven't had a strong urge to spin it much in the week it's come out. should change that soon
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Kram

« Reply #874 on: October 05, 2023, 12:35:23 PM »
Not sure where I stand with The Harmony Codex after about a week with it now.  What I DO know is it's much better than The Future Bites - but it doesn't touch the greatness of Raven and HCE.  Where it slots in with Insurgentes, Grace for Drowning and To The Bone, is still to be determined.