Author Topic: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!  (Read 62619 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!
« Reply #560 on: July 14, 2023, 12:21:35 PM »
I do think the main purpose of the early promotional videos is to kick start pre-orders, which help fund the manufacture of the album or other band activities (BBT indicated that pre-orders for Ingenious Devices would help find their upcoming tour). So you need people to be aware of an interested enough to buy it in advance. It makes sense to have a new video every several weeks if you have a longer pre-order campaign. But it is kind of annoying from a fan standpoint to get things slow dripped when you’d rather just wait for the whole album.

In the case of Big Big Train, though, I think they're niche enough that they know their dedicated fans will pre-order anyway, and probably don't need much promotion to get their sales off the ground. If I recall, Ingenious Devices had two pre-release trailers, and a live video of "Atlantic Cable" from Aylesbury (which was used as the final track of the album). Not much in the way of singles or music videos, and I think it worked.

But I get what you mean - on one hand, it's a way to keep the band's upcoming release current in the minds of fans. I'm not sure if there are studies that prove if a lot of pre-release singles make a difference in sales or not. It would be very interesting to see how that could work, but the variables are so wild these days that it might be difficult. I also get that with the long lead-time and delays of manufacturing vinyl makes it difficult to have a "surprise" release of an album without having pre-orders fill the manufacturing minimums in those factories. Record labels probably want to be sure that they'll actually sell all the vinyl they make before having them made, so throwing out pre-orders 3-6 months ahead of time gives them more wiggle room in regards to release window. So many albums since COVID had their vinyl releases delayed because of manufacturing problems, and those issues still seem to happen, between the factories being backed up in production, and issues with world-wide distribution.

TL;DR - I get why they do it, but it just sucks sometimes. As for SW and his upcoming album - if he's got pre-release singles, I hope they don't make up a third of the final album. I know he's prone to shorter albums these days, so if THC ends up being 45-50 minutes and is only 7 or 8 tracks, doing three singles feels like I've heard a good chunk of the album already. This is why, if I do listen to pre-release singles anymore, I do it once on release date, and then that's it. For a genre of music that is very focused on "the album as a whole piece of art", it's weird that these labels pluck singles out so often when these songs tend to work much better within the context of the albums they're from.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #561 on: July 14, 2023, 03:22:39 PM »
I have to say, it's unlikely it comes to my area, but I'd *love* to be at one of the promotional screenings for the new album. If SW gets that in a proper setup anywhere near me and I'm chosen, I'm there.
Same here! It would be quite the experience!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 05:46:05 PM by Kram »

Offline Kram

« Reply #562 on: July 14, 2023, 03:25:57 PM »
I do think the main purpose of the early promotional videos is to kick start pre-orders, which help fund the manufacture of the album or other band activities (BBT indicated that pre-orders for Ingenious Devices would help find their upcoming tour). So you need people to be aware of an interested enough to buy it in advance. It makes sense to have a new video every several weeks if you have a longer pre-order campaign. But it is kind of annoying from a fan standpoint to get things slow dripped when you’d rather just wait for the whole album.

In the case of Big Big Train, though, I think they're niche enough that they know their dedicated fans will pre-order anyway, and probably don't need much promotion to get their sales off the ground. If I recall, Ingenious Devices had two pre-release trailers, and a live video of "Atlantic Cable" from Aylesbury (which was used as the final track of the album). Not much in the way of singles or music videos, and I think it worked.

But I get what you mean - on one hand, it's a way to keep the band's upcoming release current in the minds of fans. I'm not sure if there are studies that prove if a lot of pre-release singles make a difference in sales or not. It would be very interesting to see how that could work, but the variables are so wild these days that it might be difficult. I also get that with the long lead-time and delays of manufacturing vinyl makes it difficult to have a "surprise" release of an album without having pre-orders fill the manufacturing minimums in those factories. Record labels probably want to be sure that they'll actually sell all the vinyl they make before having them made, so throwing out pre-orders 3-6 months ahead of time gives them more wiggle room in regards to release window. So many albums since COVID had their vinyl releases delayed because of manufacturing problems, and those issues still seem to happen, between the factories being backed up in production, and issues with world-wide distribution.

TL;DR - I get why they do it, but it just sucks sometimes. As for SW and his upcoming album - if he's got pre-release singles, I hope they don't make up a third of the final album. I know he's prone to shorter albums these days, so if THC ends up being 45-50 minutes and is only 7 or 8 tracks, doing three singles feels like I've heard a good chunk of the album already. This is why, if I do listen to pre-release singles anymore, I do it once on release date, and then that's it. For a genre of music that is very focused on "the album as a whole piece of art", it's weird that these labels pluck singles out so often when these songs tend to work much better within the context of the albums they're from.

-Marc.
SW states the new album is a "65 minute musical journey". No idea how many tracks though.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #563 on: July 21, 2023, 02:26:37 PM »
Harmony Codex artwork

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cu9xqWNoJUX/

reminds me of some of the videos from Raven..

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #564 on: July 21, 2023, 02:48:53 PM »
Harmony Codex artwork

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cu9xqWNoJUX/

reminds me of some of the videos from Raven..

I think that's because it *is* artwork used as the basis for the videos TRTRTS, particularly "Drive Home". SW's description says that the artwork for THC hasn't been revealed yet.

Hajo Mueller has created the incredible artwork for my forthcoming album The Harmony Codex, which will be unveiled soon. In the meantime ten years ago Hajo created these original storyboards for 'Drive Home’ used as the basis for Jess Cope’s video for the song. The video was recently remastered and re-released on my YouTube channel in 4K for its anniversary, by expert colourist Mozart Gabriel.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #565 on: August 04, 2023, 03:34:59 AM »
Anyone else concerned that we haven't had an official announcement yet, as September 29th draws ever closer? We're looking at a pretty short promo cycle at this point.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #566 on: August 04, 2023, 04:20:13 AM »
No. I hate getting a sing 8 months ahead of the release. I'd rather have it right before the release.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mladen

« Reply #567 on: August 04, 2023, 04:33:46 AM »
I'd prefer a band or an artist pulling a Radiohead. First single on Tuesday, second single and the album announcement on Thursday, the album out on Friday. That was amazing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: August 04, 2023, 06:41:58 AM »
Agreed. Same thing in the video game space when fallout 4 was announed, came out shortly after.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #569 on: August 04, 2023, 06:51:01 AM »
But it's not 8 months now. It's less than 2. Just tell us it's definitely coming out when it is. You don't even need to have a single yet.

Offline Kram

« Reply #570 on: August 06, 2023, 02:48:15 PM »
Anyone else concerned that we haven't had an official announcement yet, as September 29th draws ever closer? We're looking at a pretty short promo cycle at this point.
Did I miss that this is being released on September 29th?

Offline RoeDent

Offline Kram

« Reply #572 on: August 06, 2023, 03:06:55 PM »
Did I miss that this is being released on September 29th?

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/steven-wilson-harmony-codex/hnum/11480613
Thanks. I'm guessing he hasn't made a formal announcement yet?

And I'm fine not hearing any singles.  I would prefer to go in fresh with the full album experience this time.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #573 on: August 06, 2023, 03:39:29 PM »
I also wish more bands/artists did the "hey we have a new album out now" surprise. Not a fan of when they really milk it and start releasing singles almost a year before release and by the time the album comes out, it's already been pretty much released in pieces already. Sure, I never listen to singles so ultimately it doesn't affect me that much, but I do think it's cooler when they just come out with a new album without too much of a drawn out build up.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #574 on: August 07, 2023, 09:09:26 AM »
But we already know it's coming! It's no surprise. Just tell us. If you don't wanna release a single beforehand, fine. Just give us tracklist and confirmation of the release date we all know about already and the chance to preorder it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #575 on: August 07, 2023, 01:09:22 PM »
But we already know it's coming! It's no surprise. Just tell us. If you don't wanna release a single beforehand, fine. Just give us tracklist and confirmation of the release date we all know about already and the chance to preorder it.

But does that really matter though? If SW dropped the information on the release date, "hey here's the artwork, here's the tracklist, you can listen to the full album right away and also order it" would that make a difference? You would still get your chance to order/buy it, just not a few months in advance.

Personally I think it's cool the more you can keep an album cloaked in mystery up until it actually drops. The Future Bites was the opposite for SW, he spoke about it for months about how it would be, dropped most of it as singles leading up to it and by the time it came out it already felt 'old' in a way. I really dig that he seems to be doing the opposite now, he hasn't really even talked about how it sounds or anything. I think that's cool.

Offline Kram

« Reply #576 on: August 07, 2023, 03:05:39 PM »

But does that really matter though? If SW dropped the information on the release date, "hey here's the artwork, here's the tracklist, you can listen to the full album right away and also order it" would that make a difference? You would still get your chance to order/buy it, just not a few months in advance.

Personally I think it's cool the more you can keep an album cloaked in mystery up until it actually drops. The Future Bites was the opposite for SW, he spoke about it for months about how it would be, dropped most of it as singles leading up to it and by the time it came out it already felt 'old' in a way. I really dig that he seems to be doing the opposite now, he hasn't really even talked about how it sounds or anything. I think that's cool.
100% agree!  Don't know if he's doing it the exact opposite way as a way of just not repeating himself - or maybe because the way he promoted TFB didn't really work out how he had hoped it would.

Offline The Letter M

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #578 on: August 14, 2023, 12:40:02 PM »

100% agree!  Don't know if he's doing it the exact opposite way as a way of just not repeating himself - or maybe because the way he promoted TFB didn't really work out how he had hoped it would.

Yeah, the pandemic majorly knocked the stuffing out of that promotion cycle. Personal Shopper was released right around the time things really started kicking off here, and of course the album was originally pencilled in for June 2020 until it got pushed back to January 2021.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #579 on: August 15, 2023, 03:12:38 AM »
https://www.pulse-and-spirit.com/news/guy-pratt-spielt-auf-neuem-album-von-steven-wilson-the-harmony-codex/

On this site there are some musicians playing on The Harmony Codex. I believe these are some names collected from SW interviews and this list is not complete? Because I seriously HOPE that there is a real drummer playing on these songs.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #580 on: August 15, 2023, 04:48:01 AM »
Why? What's wrong with electronic drums. I thought we'd moved beyond that mentality of electronics not being real decades ago. It's not about real. It's about what's right for the song and the artist always knows that.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #581 on: August 15, 2023, 05:34:48 AM »
Has anyone read his short story this is probably based on? Has anyone understood it?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #582 on: August 17, 2023, 10:17:35 AM »
Why? What's wrong with electronic drums. I thought we'd moved beyond that mentality of electronics not being real decades ago. It's not about real. It's about what's right for the song and the artist always knows that.
Well sure but for me atleast I prefer when there's an artist playing an instrument acoustic or digital. Programmed drums don't excit me as much.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #583 on: August 18, 2023, 12:47:05 AM »
Well sure but for me atleast I prefer when there's an artist playing an instrument acoustic or digital. Programmed drums don't excit me as much.

This.

SW could "choose" from so many great drummers who would be willing to provide awesome drum tracks. I personally would love to hear Nick D'Virgilio on a SW album.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #584 on: August 18, 2023, 10:01:32 AM »

This.

SW could "choose" from so many great drummers who would be willing to provide awesome drum tracks. I personally would love to hear Nick D'Virgilio on a SW album.

Or imagine how amazing it would be if he got someone like Marco Minnemann to play with him!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #585 on: August 18, 2023, 10:09:05 AM »
It feels a bit like the 'playing with virtuoso musicians' part of SW's career is in the past now and he's moved onto other things.

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #586 on: August 18, 2023, 02:00:03 PM »
While the super poppy style of the previous album wasn't really my cup of tea, I'm still really excited for his next release. His previous works like "The Raven That Refused to Sing" and "Hand. Cannot. Erase." really resonated with me, so I'm looking forward to see where he takes his music next. Can't wait to hear what he comes up with!

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #587 on: August 18, 2023, 02:18:46 PM »
It feels a bit like the 'playing with virtuoso musicians' part of SW's career is in the past now and he's moved onto other things.

I completely agree
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Kram

« Reply #588 on: August 18, 2023, 07:17:19 PM »
Well he has Nick Beggs playing on this new album and he posted on social media today that Ninet is also returning.  I personally would consider both of them as "virtuoso musicians". That's my opinion anyways LOL

Offline Kram

« Reply #589 on: August 18, 2023, 07:18:59 PM »

This.

Or imagine how amazing it would be if he got someone like Marco Minnemann to play with him!
HAHA good one! 

And plus one for Nick D'Virgillio, that would be awesome!!

Online HOF

« Reply #590 on: August 18, 2023, 07:57:24 PM »
NDV has had at least two offers to tour with SW in the past but it’s never worked out, so maybe one of these days he’ll play with him or on an album.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #591 on: August 20, 2023, 12:08:20 AM »
I’m totally fine with programmed beats.

Okay, a featured drummer here and there would make me more excited but I’m sure SW does what the music asks for.

Something tells me this album won’t be as ‘light’ or poppy as TFB. I sure hope so.

TFB I was pretty disappointed by at first. I have to say nowadays I keep playing it. It’s one of the very few SW (related) records I can play when with other people. It doesn’t reach enormous highs or gets overly emotional, it’s so palatable. I actually like it for that now.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Mladen

« Reply #592 on: August 20, 2023, 02:41:40 AM »
Wait, I'm a bit lost. Do we have a confirmation that the drums were programmed or is this just speculation over the fact that no drummer was credited yet?

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #593 on: August 20, 2023, 03:19:34 AM »
I think it‘s pure speculation.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #594 on: August 20, 2023, 06:14:05 AM »
Wait, I'm a bit lost. Do we have a confirmation that the drums were programmed or is this just speculation over the fact that no drummer was credited yet?

I just wondered if there would be a drummer on the album since the musicians listed until now did not include a drummer. That sparked the discussion ;)