Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172101 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #1820 on: June 10, 2022, 08:31:10 PM »
This looks really cool,  The Plucky Squire

https://youtu.be/xFQkyzPKMYA

something happens around the 45 second mark that made me exclaim "holy shit!" out loud to no one.

That looks amazing. Too bad I don't have an xbox.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1821 on: June 10, 2022, 11:26:30 PM »
This looks really cool,  The Plucky Squire

https://youtu.be/xFQkyzPKMYA

something happens around the 45 second mark that made me exclaim "holy shit!" out loud to no one.
That does look cool! Reminds a little bit of Fez with the whole changing dimensions/perspectives.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1822 on: June 11, 2022, 10:53:50 AM »
Cool idea for a game, need to try this out:
Metal Hellsinger

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1823 on: June 11, 2022, 03:08:37 PM »
so after a year of never confirming that The Last Of Us part 1 remake was really a thing or not, ND finally announce and it looks… fine, I guess? Don’t know that it’s worth that much money though.  I honestly thought they were starting over from scratch but I guess that wasn’t realistic. 

It's actually kind of wild to think about how much that game has been milked. First it got a remaster, now a remake, and it's getting its own television series. Honestly... More power to 'em. If you can create one of the greatest games of all-time, then I fully support whatever you want to do with it. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1824 on: June 12, 2022, 01:47:39 PM »
I just finished watching the xbox/bethesda game showcase and I have to say that game pass is just a stellar value. The upcoming games that are going to be available day 1 look great. I know that I've skipped buy games on Steam simply because they are on gamepass now.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1825 on: June 12, 2022, 01:53:08 PM »
I just finished watching the xbox/bethesda game showcase and I have to say that game pass is just a stellar value. The upcoming games that are going to be available day 1 look great. I know that I've skipped buy games on Steam simply because they are on gamepass now.

I watched it too, the value is indeed stellar. There are like 30 games I want to play coming out within a period of 12 months.

I am relatively new to Xbox but my experience with the Series X and gamepass has been fantastic. Insane value.

Some exciting new stuff too, good show.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1826 on: June 12, 2022, 02:57:07 PM »
I hope Diablo 4 turns out decent. I'm ready to play the crap out of it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1827 on: June 12, 2022, 03:28:29 PM »
OK, so Bethesda may have just pulled off Star Citizen before Star Citizen is even out of alpha....With the exception of Starfield being single player only. I'm still impressed.

The only thing that could hold it back would be the Creation Engine. It really shows its age in a few areas. I guess we will see how it holds up.

It looks like they took inspiration from No Man's Sky and mixed it with Skyrim/Fallout 4 and Cyberpunk. I almost feel like they looked at Star Citizen's Squadron 42 and said, "we can do that better....and faster."
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1828 on: June 12, 2022, 03:53:18 PM »
I've gotten back into Celeste, being determined to finish all the strawberries, hearts, and bonus levels. I'm doing pretty well, but man some of the levels are brutal. I died 1700 times completing the bonus stage for Mirror Temple.

Great game, though, I think I've got about 40 hours in it at this point, which is quite a lot for something I bought for like $5.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1829 on: June 12, 2022, 04:23:36 PM »
Celeste is one of the best platformers of the last decade or two. Excellent stuff.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1830 on: June 12, 2022, 04:24:30 PM »
OK, so Bethesda may have just pulled off Star Citizen before Star Citizen is even out of alpha....With the exception of Starfield being single player only. I'm still impressed.

The only thing that could hold it back would be the Creation Engine. It really shows its age in a few areas. I guess we will see how it holds up.

It looks like they took inspiration from No Man's Sky and mixed it with Skyrim/Fallout 4 and Cyberpunk. I almost feel like they looked at Star Citizen's Squadron 42 and said, "we can do that better....and faster."

It helps that Bethesda actually has some somewhat competent project management. That being said, after Fallout 4 and 76, I'll be waiting until a bit after release at the minimum to pick it up.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1831 on: June 12, 2022, 04:55:21 PM »

They looked at Squadron 42 and said "What is if we made a game we actually are going to release?" :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1832 on: June 12, 2022, 04:57:32 PM »

They looked at Squadron 42 and said "What is if we made a game we actually are going to release?" :lol
And with the prospect of modding, the community will be able to make this game into whatever we want. Now as long as it lives up to the hype...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1833 on: June 12, 2022, 05:17:53 PM »
I hope the combat in Starfield will hold up. Combat's always been not very good in these games from Morrowind to the last Fallout game.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1834 on: June 12, 2022, 05:22:10 PM »
I hope the combat in Starfield will hold up. Combat's always been not very good in these games from Morrowind to the last Fallout game.
It would be nice if it was better than it has been in previous Bethesda games, but combat is the least of my concerns. As long as the lore is good and the other gameplay mechanics work well and are integrated well, I will enjoy it.

Besides if the combat is terrible, modders will fix it. Just like anything else that isn't good in the game.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1835 on: June 12, 2022, 05:25:42 PM »
It would be nice if it was better than it has been in previous Bethesda games, but combat is the least of my concerns. As long as the lore is good and the other gameplay mechanics work well and are integrated well, I will enjoy it.

Besides if the combat is terrible, modders will fix it. Just like anything else that isn't good in the game.

Agreed. The combat wasn't bad enough in all those other Bethesda games to keep me from playing them for many hours & finishing all those games from Morrowind to Fallout 4.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1836 on: June 12, 2022, 11:19:34 PM »
Which is a big diffrence. Most of SC big hurdles that they've been working on over the years is finding tech and solutions for sharing the universe online. That is such a huge undertaking.

Squadron 42 is nothing like this though, it's a completly diffrent game than 'Star Citizen' just to be clear. It's not a singleplayer version of Star Citizen.

Will be interesting to follow how Starfield will turn out, i'm excited!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1837 on: June 12, 2022, 11:59:16 PM »
Which is a big diffrence. Most of SC big hurdles that they've been working on over the years is finding tech and solutions for sharing the universe online. That is such a huge undertaking.

Squadron 42 is nothing like this though, it's a completly diffrent game than 'Star Citizen' just to be clear. It's not a singleplayer version of Star Citizen.

Will be interesting to follow how Starfield will turn out, i'm excited!

I think if they finished Squadron 42 and it turned out to be a good/great game, it would generate even more hype, hope, and funds for Star Citizen. But it seems like both games are in limbo. I'm not a rabid hater and I have no problem with gamers who keep putting money into this project, but I have little faith these games will be released.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1838 on: June 13, 2022, 03:52:51 AM »
Starfield looks really intruiging. I am sure it will be messy, but I am also confident it will be a a great experience. In the end, I can deal with a glitchfest if the game is good and it's features are there.

I hope Diablo 4 turns out decent. I'm ready to play the crap out of it.

I am not the biggest Diablo fan, but it does look good. But I am very skeptical of Blizzard, Diablo Immortal has actually not been released in my country (The Netherlands) due to it's agressive monitization schemes (I really think Europe should follow suit with Belgium/Dutch laws in this regard, honestly). If that game does turn out to be a financial success, what will stop them from cramming IV full with paid slots in gameplay form?

Have you played Path of Exile (edit) and Lost Ark?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 05:52:40 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1839 on: June 13, 2022, 04:53:08 AM »
Have you played Pillars of Eternity and Lost Ark?

Not yet, but I will check them out.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1840 on: June 13, 2022, 05:59:28 AM »
Have you played Pillars of Eternity and Lost Ark?

Not yet, but I will check them out.

Oops I meant Path Of Exile (Pillars is a different genre). Both free to play. Lost Ark is a bit ... anime but supposedly has very fun gameplay. Path of Exile in terms of tone is more like Diablo and has a sequel coming up. 1 has been getting content ever since it's release and even as a free experience I have heard it is great and full of content.

This is the trailer for the upcoming Path of Exile 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If7yS8UzScc

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1841 on: June 13, 2022, 06:50:58 AM »
Bethesda makes the kinds of games that I can appreciate, acknowledge, and recognize for their seismic impact on the industry, but that just aren't for me. When games are too much of a sandbox, I tend to lose interest pretty quickly (which for many people is actually the best part of Bethesda games). That said, I'll still be playing Starfield because it looks really cool and I love the sci-fi aesthetic. I'm definitely rooting for it to succeed!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1842 on: June 13, 2022, 07:39:02 AM »
Playing Star Wars Battlefront now. What a game. Really enjoying it (other than the sort of crazy made up rules in the Master-level Battles).

Offline JLa

« Reply #1843 on: June 13, 2022, 02:07:31 PM »
I picked up Burnout Paradise about a year ago, and I'm still playing it sporadically. I still haven't fully understood what to "do" in the game so to speak, so I just cruise around and have fun. Occasionally I trigger a race of some sort, "go from here to there before time runs out to unlock a new car", but I've never managed to win any of those challenges.

Good game, although it's a bit harsh on old farts like myself. Back in my day we used to have manuals telling us what to do, now it's on-screen instructions that disappear with the misclick of a button.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1844 on: June 13, 2022, 02:24:34 PM »
Watched some of the Starfield gameplay and it looks pretty poor IMO.  Granted, as other stated, these Bethesda games have pretty poor combat so it's not surprise the combat looks not so good.  But even the buildings look like rehashes from older games.

Here's a tweet that just came up on my feed showing a bug on the trailer  :lol https://twitter.com/SKizzleAXE/status/1536108262885662721

I really want to play Starfield, it's probably a great universe, but I also expect the game to be a complete bug fest including some old ones dating back to Fallout 3 or so. Fallout 4 was when I started feeling like I had enough of these games.  I wouldn't be surprised if I got Starfield and got tired of it very quickly. I hope that's not the case.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1845 on: June 13, 2022, 03:00:06 PM »
It definitely looks like a Bethesda game. Being on gamepass gives it a pretty low barrier of entry. I'm catuously optimistic. I'm played some games recently that put Bethesda games to shame (looking at you cyberpunk and battlefield 2042) so if it's better than those two and can capture some of the Bethesda charm that Skyrim had I'll be happy.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1846 on: June 13, 2022, 03:35:30 PM »
I always hear about how buggy Bethesda games are but I played Oblivion, Fallout 3, & Skyrim right after they were released and I never experienced major or game-breaking bugs. The only major bug I can remember was something with a soundcard setting causing Oblivion to crash. That was a quick and easy fix.

Are they still using the same engine or whatever for Starfield?

Edit: Oh and will Starfield have non-space combat like melee & gun shooting? I'm at work and can't watch that 15-minute video.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1847 on: June 13, 2022, 03:50:20 PM »
I actually thought the gunplay in Fallout 4 was fun. I know people like it the least of the Bethesda main studio titles, but as far as I am concerned it is their best game in terms of core gameplay (I do prefer Skyrim and Fallout 3 as total packages though). And unlike Cyberpunk and Battlefield, the games were complete and expansive in features at launch (but very messy technically).

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1848 on: June 13, 2022, 04:03:41 PM »
I actually thought the gunplay in Fallout 4 was fun. I know people like it the least of the Bethesda main studio titles, but as far as I am concerned it is their best game in terms of core gameplay (I do prefer Skyrim and Fallout 3 as total packages though). And unlike Cyberpunk and Battlefield, the games were complete and expansive in features at launch (but very messy technically).

Herrick agrees with all of this.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1849 on: June 13, 2022, 07:30:21 PM »

Edit: Oh and will Starfield have non-space combat like melee & gun shooting? I'm at work and can't watch that 15-minute video.
To your first question, They have been using the same engine since Morrowind. So pre-2002 (development started on Morrowind around 1996). Back then it was called NetImmerse (It was made by a company called Gamebase Co, or something like that). Then the name of the engine was changed to Gamebryo (still the same engine, just an update) during the development of Oblivion. After that, Bethesda built their own updated version of the engine, renamed it Creation Engine, and has been updating it ever since. The engine is in desperate need of a complete rewrite, but I understand why they keep it. The modders would revolt and they would probably sell half as many games if they couldn't be modded. The recent rumors I've heard state that Bethesda is working on a complete rewrite of the engine along with the development of Elder Scrolls 6 (I have a few sources in the industry, but I'm not at liberty to say who...), with the intent of keeping the games made with the engine just as moddable as they are now. I'll believe it when I see it.

To your second question. Yes, there will be ground combat with guns.

I really want to play Starfield, it's probably a great universe, but I also expect the game to be a complete bug fest including some old ones dating back to Fallout 3 or so. Fallout 4 was when I started feeling like I had enough of these games.  I wouldn't be surprised if I got Starfield and got tired of it very quickly. I hope that's not the case.
The majority of the bugs that keep coming up ever since Morrowind are because it's the same engine. They get patched by modders with every game Bethesda releases. So expect it to be patched really soon after release. To play Bethesda games without mods (at the very least unofficial patches) would be doing yourself a disservice. To stubbornly not download the mods and yell at Bethesda to just fix the game is just plain laziness on anyone's part that wants to be that stubborn.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1850 on: June 13, 2022, 07:45:09 PM »

To your first question, They have been using the same engine since Morrowind. So pre-2002 (development started on Morrowind around 1996). Back then it was called NetImmerse (It was made by a company called Gamebase Co, or something like that). Then the name of the engine was changed to Gamebryo (still the same engine, just an update) during the development of Oblivion. After that, Bethesda built their own updated version of the engine, renamed it Creation Engine, and has been updating it ever since. The engine is in desperate need of a complete rewrite, but I understand why they keep it. The modders would revolt and they would probably sell half as many games if they couldn't be modded. The recent rumors I've heard state that Bethesda is working on a complete rewrite of the engine along with the development of Elder Scrolls 6 (I have a few sources in the industry, but I'm not at liberty to say who...), with the intent of keeping the games made with the engine just as moddable as they are now. I'll believe it when I see it.

The majority of the bugs that keep coming up ever since Morrowind are because it's the same engine. They get patched by modders with every game Bethesda releases. So expect it to be patched really soon after release. To play Bethesda games without mods (at the very least unofficial patches) would be doing yourself a disservice. To stubbornly not download the mods and yell at Bethesda to just fix the game is just plain laziness on anyone's part that wants to be that stubborn.

Does Bethesda not make those fixes because they know modders will do it? I'm guessing these aren't game-breaking major bugs because I've played all these games without the unofficial patches and never experienced major problems...except for that one sound-related issue that made Oblivion crash to desktop. I'm not sure about Morrowind though. I may have downloaded the unofficial patch for that one.

But when I replay these games (If I ever do) I would download the unofficial patches for them.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1851 on: June 13, 2022, 07:50:49 PM »

Does Bethesda not make those fixes because they know modders will do it? I'm guessing these aren't game-breaking major bugs because I've played all these games without the unofficial patches and never experienced major problems...except for that one sound-related issue that made Oblivion crash to desktop. I'm not sure about Morrowind though. I may have downloaded the unofficial patch for that one.

But when I replay these games (If I ever do) I would download the unofficial patches for them.
A lot of the issues are either texture/model issues or certain quests that don't fire correctly or start/finish correctly.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1852 on: June 13, 2022, 08:24:50 PM »
I see.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1853 on: June 14, 2022, 12:26:33 AM »
I watched the Starfield video. I wasn't going to watch it but I was bored so I watched it. I watched most of it but skimmed a bit as well and skipped over Todd Howard talking. I'm a little surprised he was allowed to present the video after Fallout 76. The game looks cool but after No Man's Sky, Anthem, and Cyberpunk 2077, these hype videos really don't mean shit.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1854 on: June 14, 2022, 07:50:49 AM »

If it's considered lazy on the users front, what does that say about Bethesda?  :lol Yeah, don't put this on the consumer when the company hasn't fixed these issues. It's not my job to mod the game just to get it to work properly.