Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 177093 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #1645 on: April 06, 2022, 04:32:05 PM »
I see what you mean.  Farming parts is a pain in the ass sometimes.  Although, I am getting better at tearing parts from machines.  Some easier than others.  Just have to be careful not to hit an exploding part that destroys everything around it. Right now, I'm trying to upgrade weapons and outfits.  Can't find anymore side quests.  Got a couple Cauldrons still to finish.  Starting to run out of things to do.  Hope they update the game with more side quests.  I probably had more fun doing those than the main story.

Frost Claws and Fire Claws, amirite? I've found that the quickest and easiest way to take them down without bursting their elemental sack is to hit them in the face with the braced shot skill.

Yeah, I'm running out of activities myself. I may try the racing challenges just to have more to do.

Exactly, and at this point, I need about 9 Frost Claw Sac Webbings for the upgrades I'm doing.  Still have a bunch of hunting grounds and melee pits to complete too.

Seriously, use the braced shot skill, with standard impact arrows, and hit them directly in the face. Two direct hits should be enough to put one down without bursting the elemental sack. A fully upgraded Glowblast Sharp Shot bow is what I use.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1646 on: April 07, 2022, 06:34:56 AM »
Anyone here play DOTA?

I've played it on and off for years since it was a custom map but I'm not very good but I do enjoy playing a turbo game from time to time.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1647 on: April 07, 2022, 10:58:17 AM »
I've played it on and off for years since it was a custom map but I'm not very good

handshakefrompredator.gif
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1648 on: April 08, 2022, 07:03:46 AM »
More Horizon Forbidden West chat:

Some of the end-game grind to upgrade legendary gear is a bit egregious...I finally succumbed to the temptation and customized the difficulty settings to "easy loot" so that I'd actually get the drop I was looking for after a tough fight. The combat is still set to Normal, so it's still quite a challenge, but I was getting tired of long tough battles with a Apex Tremortusks only to not have either one drop a Primary Nerve.  :lol

My personal experience with Horizon Forbidden West is interesting. It seems like the kind of game I should be head-over-heels in love with: It's beautiful, it's fun, I find the lore fascinating and the story worthwhile, and there's a level of quality that bleeds out of every pixel.

At the same time, there are all these teeny tiny things that prevent it from being one of my all-time favorites. The general grind is one... The restrictiveness of certain activities is one... Combat can feel a bit inconsistent at times... I wouldn't call it "death by a thousand cuts" but rather "not quite a masterpiece by a thousand cuts." :lol

Still, having a great time with it as I approach the endgame. Kotallo is my dude.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1649 on: April 08, 2022, 09:27:40 AM »
Kotallo is my dude.

Outside of Aloy, Kotallo is my fav.

My mind is starting to change on the endgame grind. With nothing really to do, I fired up the game night before last, and started chasing upgrade components. Took down an Apex Dreadwing, a couple of Tremortusks, an Apex Rockbreaker, an Apex Slitherfang, an Apex Tideripper, a couple of Rollerbacks, and an Apex Thunderjaw...and had an absolute blast. All were pretty challenging with some being epic battles. The Apex Slitherfang, in particular, was really fun. Got him all charged up with plasma and dropped a split spike on his noggin. So satsifying.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1650 on: April 11, 2022, 06:18:49 AM »
I finally got a 100 kill game in Mordhau. I'm officially a "try hard" now. I did it with a recurve bow and cleaver. The room wasn't happy. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1651 on: April 11, 2022, 08:27:17 AM »
 :lol nice

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1652 on: April 11, 2022, 12:37:03 PM »
I need to get back into Mordhau, fun game.

Up to 100hrs in Elden Ring and I only scratched the surface. The game is so vast with so much to explore I keep getting sidetracked all the time and discover new areas.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1653 on: April 12, 2022, 07:36:33 AM »

Up to 100hrs in Elden Ring and I only scratched the surface. The game is so vast with so much to explore I keep getting sidetracked all the time and discover new areas.

It is a massive game indeed. I am at around 90 hours, but nearing the end (reached the tree and went to the next area). I did a respec about halfway through to make a melee/magic build based on INT. I enjoy it very much. Made sense to do it, as I was following mage questlines and one NPC called me her student.

While I don't think Elden Ring is better than other modern From Soft games (pretty sure I prefer Bloodborne, Dark Souls and Sekiro), it is fantastic in it's own right. I have never played an open world game where exploration felt so rewarding and where the RPG progression felt so good. And the level design is something to behold, there are many great mostly linear areas that fully evoke high quality Souls sections. All naturally incorporated in a massive open(ish) world.

I will say though, this game is the easiest From Software title. Not saying it isn't hard, but using summons and doing your upgrades timely, you can manage a lot of difficult parts easier than in any other Souls. I defeated most bosses past Stormveil in one go. The hardest parts for me are combinations of regular enemies and minibosses (like the Crucible Knights). And of those difficult parts, you can almost always run for it. As a result though, the bosses mostly did not leave an impression on me. And that is also why I probably prefer the other modern FromSoft titles, the sense of tension, survival and achievement is less in this title, at least during bossfights. Maybe I'll do a summonless run in the future.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1654 on: April 12, 2022, 09:57:05 AM »
Started the Witcher 3 this weekend, a mere 7 years after buying it.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1655 on: April 12, 2022, 10:07:44 AM »
 :lol  I think I bought that around 2017.  Played for about an hour... :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1656 on: April 12, 2022, 10:41:01 AM »
I'm loving it so far, but I was a big fan of the first two as well. At the time though I wanted to get a more up to date PC to play it on, and then procrastinated on that up until last month. :P

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1657 on: April 12, 2022, 11:48:08 AM »

It is a massive game indeed. I am at around 90 hours, but nearing the end (reached the tree and went to the next area). I did a respec about halfway through to make a melee/magic build based on INT. I enjoy it very much. Made sense to do it, as I was following mage questlines and one NPC called me her student.

While I don't think Elden Ring is better than other modern From Soft games (pretty sure I prefer Bloodborne, Dark Souls and Sekiro), it is fantastic in it's own right. I have never played an open world game where exploration felt so rewarding and where the RPG progression felt so good. And the level design is something to behold, there are many great mostly linear areas that fully evoke high quality Souls sections. All naturally incorporated in a massive open(ish) world.

I will say though, this game is the easiest From Software title. Not saying it isn't hard, but using summons and doing your upgrades timely, you can manage a lot of difficult parts easier than in any other Souls. I defeated most bosses past Stormveil in one go. The hardest parts for me are combinations of regular enemies and minibosses (like the Crucible Knights). And of those difficult parts, you can almost always run for it. As a result though, the bosses mostly did not leave an impression on me. And that is also why I probably prefer the other modern FromSoft titles, the sense of tension, survival and achievement is less in this title, at least during bossfights. Maybe I'll do a summonless run in the future.
Since I haven't played any other FS title I don't fully know but I agree that the summons sometimes makes it a bit easy however for my own sanity I call it a good thing.  :lol

It's funny because after beating Margit, Godrick, Rennala and Radahn so far of the big ones there's some minibosses that's kicking my ass more than those. For some reason i'm struggling with Godfrey, from reading about him he shouldn't be a major struggle but for some reason I have a hard time dodging his attacks even though he's slow. Godskin Apostle is another one that's tough although it's been awhile since I fought him so he might be easier now.
I did the deathroot thing with Beast Clergyman and of all the bosses I met so far that guy is freaking me out. After I think the 8 delivery of deathroot he suddenly charged me and damn he's quick, I ran outside like a chicken.  :laugh:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1658 on: April 12, 2022, 05:03:51 PM »
The Witcher 3 is in my top 10 games of all time, maybe even top 5.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1659 on: April 12, 2022, 09:17:43 PM »
Same. I played it at the beginning of the year and never regretted the 110+ hours I sunk into it including the DLC. I was blown away but how interesting even most of the side quests were storywise and that it wasn't the typical "go fetch me 10 of X" like a lot of these games tend to do. I wish I could play it for the first time all over again.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1660 on: April 12, 2022, 10:51:38 PM »
Playing a point-and-click puzzler on the Switch called Twelve Minutes. You are caught in a time loop of... yep, 12 minutes, and have to play through successive loops, taking with you whatever knowledge you gain each loop, to reach the proper ending. A bit like Majora's Mask. Cool concept, am about at a brick wall though as I do not know what new thing I need to do to progress. Willem Dafoe and Daisy Ridley voice two of the main characters.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1661 on: April 13, 2022, 12:35:17 AM »
The Witcher 3 is in my top 10 games of all time, maybe even top 5.

Yup, I love The Witcher 3 also! I played it so much some years ago, that I got burned out on it.

I fully intent to replay it at some point, maybe when they finally release the next gen update.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1662 on: April 13, 2022, 06:59:03 AM »

Possibly my favorite game ever. It's such an emotional experience, the kind of story where it ends and you don't know what you're going to do with your life afterwards. :lol

I hope you end up enjoying it!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1663 on: April 13, 2022, 07:23:16 AM »

Possibly my favorite game ever. It's such an emotional experience, the kind of story where it ends and you don't know what you're going to do with your life afterwards. :lol

I love that feeling.  System Shock, Bioshock, Theif... all made me feel that way.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1664 on: April 13, 2022, 09:53:57 AM »
I should probably give The Witcher 3 another go.  Didn't really give it due diligence.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1665 on: April 13, 2022, 10:08:15 AM »
I should probably play The Witcher.  I enjoyed the show so I'm more intrigued in the video games now than when they were released.  But if I'm honest with myself, I just don't see myself playing through it right now.  I'm pretty bad at going back and playing old games and if I didn't get/play elden ring, would I really go back and play the witcher?  Actually, for an RPG game, I really should play Breath of the Wild now that I have a switch.  I think that's the top of my list of older games to play.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1666 on: April 13, 2022, 10:13:04 AM »
Been thinking about getting a Switch.  Just can't seem to pull the trigger on that one.  Are the classic Mario Bros. games available for that?  If not, would probably be a deal breaker.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1667 on: April 13, 2022, 10:14:51 AM »
I'll leave that for the veteran switch owners.  I don't actually know, I have hardly used mine since getting it a month or so ago.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1668 on: April 13, 2022, 10:55:12 AM »
I should probably play The Witcher.  I enjoyed the show so I'm more intrigued in the video games now than when they were released.  But if I'm honest with myself, I just don't see myself playing through it right now.  I'm pretty bad at going back and playing old games and if I didn't get/play elden ring, would I really go back and play the witcher?  Actually, for an RPG game, I really should play Breath of the Wild now that I have a switch.  I think that's the top of my list of older games to play.
It's funny, I reinstalled W3 for the 3rd time earlier this year and I felt the same, kind of a sigh going through everything again after 10mins of playing and I feel mostly the same with other games. I like the idea of playing something again but rarely actually do it.
Just to be clear I loved W3.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1669 on: April 13, 2022, 11:07:06 AM »
Been thinking about getting a Switch.  Just can't seem to pull the trigger on that one.  Are the classic Mario Bros. games available for that?  If not, would probably be a deal breaker.

Yes however it's through nintendo's subscription service, base price is $20 a year. As a switch owner I'd probably say wait unless you have a really compelling reason to get one. It's getting pretty long in the tooth and the switch is starting to show it's age with newer games.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1670 on: April 13, 2022, 11:27:22 AM »

Yes however it's through nintendo's subscription service, base price is $20 a year. As a switch owner I'd probably say wait unless you have a really compelling reason to get one. It's getting pretty long in the tooth and the switch is starting to show it's age with newer games.

So, the OLED launch last year really wasn't a console upgrade, just a better and larger screen?  I can definitely wait since I have more than enough PS5 games to keep me busy.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1671 on: April 13, 2022, 11:59:55 AM »
Right, it's a slightly larger screen. There are some marginal benefits by going oled too like slightly better battery life but really it's not that substantial of an improved over the base console.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1672 on: April 13, 2022, 01:15:44 PM »

I love that feeling.  System Shock, Bioshock, Theif... all made me feel that way.

Bioshock is a good call!

For me, Outer Wilds would certainly fit the bill. Man, I was empty after binging that game for hours on end. One of my favourite games ever.
Two other ones that left me with a similar feeling were Hollow Knight (another fantastic game!) and Subnautica.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1673 on: April 13, 2022, 09:07:15 PM »

For me it might just be 1) finishing Ocarina of Time. Man I was so invested in that game. I was in a real bad spot in my life in the late 90s, and coming home from my crap job and powering up the N64 to explore Hyrule was one of the few high points of my week; and 2) finishing Return of the Obra Dinn, knowing that by virtue of the nature of the game, I would never be able to have the full experience again.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1674 on: April 14, 2022, 06:58:53 AM »
It's interesting how some of you don't enjoy replaying games. I don't do it all the time but probably at like a 1:2 ratio (one replayed game for every two brand new ones). I dunno... I view my favorite games similarly to my favorite movies or something. It's awesome though how many different ways people connect with video games and the different approaches to them. It's just such a rewarding medium.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1675 on: April 14, 2022, 07:04:51 AM »
I know for me, too many games are "of their time".  I've spent more time playing the Ultima games than all other games combined, and it's not even close.  Given what I know about games today, I'd be hard pressed to go back to, say, Ultima V and play that again. It's not a game you can just dip your toe into for an hour or so, and the effort to put in doesn't really do justice to the legacy.  I'm not 22, single, sitting in my bedroom pulling an all-nighter playing Ultima V, eating pizza and listening to King Crimson. 

Others, like the first Black Ops (Call of Duty), I can go online, join a game and have a reasonable amount of fun.  Or I can play the two good Rainbow Six games and have some fun.

EDIT:  For this reason, I'm holding off on the System Shock reissues available on GoG.  I want to play them SO BAD, but I downloaded Dark Forces (I think it was on Xbox) and it was almost unplayable, and it bummed me out a LOT.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1676 on: April 14, 2022, 07:37:58 AM »
I'm the same way. I just don't have enough time (sometimes desire) to invest so much time into a game like that. I feel like if I stop playing, even for a week, I completely lose where I was or what I was doing. It's why I love racing games and Mordhau so much. If I have 30 minutes free, I can just hop on and dick around.

Speaking of, I just bought Forza 4 for PC. It's on sale for $20. I picked up the Lego Speed Champions DLC as well for 60% off. I've never played a Forza game before. I feel like i'm cheating on Gran Turismo  :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1677 on: April 14, 2022, 03:28:50 PM »
I've cheated on Gran Turismo with other racing games, but not with Forza.  That would be cheating on my PlayStation too.  :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1678 on: April 14, 2022, 04:18:51 PM »
The Lego builder's journey game is on sale for$10 on steam so grabbed that. It's a silly puzzle game with Lego that just looks amazing, the ray tracing is fantastic on it and even my 3080 can't run it on 4k at max.  I have to use DLSS but it still looks amazing.

It's one of those unplug after work chill calming games.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1679 on: April 14, 2022, 06:11:48 PM »
I'm the same way. I just don't have enough time (sometimes desire) to invest so much time into a game like that. I feel like if I stop playing, even for a week, I completely lose where I was or what I was doing. It's why I love racing games and Mordhau so much. If I have 30 minutes free, I can just hop on and dick around.

Speaking of, I just bought Forza 4 for PC. It's on sale for $20. I picked up the Lego Speed Champions DLC as well for 60% off. I've never played a Forza game before. I feel like i'm cheating on Gran Turismo  :lol
I love the Forza Horizon games! I have all of them. They are just fun to jump in and tool around with all the cool cars. :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar