Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 152402 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Wolfking Top 30
« Reply #2415 on: January 14, 2021, 01:07:36 PM »
Just scored my white whale on eBay. Had to actually bid. Haven't done that in I don't know how long.

Listed as Near Mint/Mint.

I like that cover more too than the main one.

Did you get it at a decent price?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2416 on: January 14, 2021, 01:16:26 PM »
After shipping and tax, it came to $25. Honestly, still pricey for a CD but the best deal I have ever found on this.

And yes, this is the best of all the covers out there. This is the CMC US pressing with the 2 re-recorded bonus tracks.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2417 on: January 14, 2021, 01:18:39 PM »
After shipping and tax, it came to $25. Honestly, still pricey for a CD but the best deal I have ever found on this.

And yes, this is the best of all the covers out there. This is the CMC US pressing with the 2 re-recorded bonus tracks.

That's a fine price.

I'm wondering if there was any version without the 2 re-records?  The other white cover I have has the re-records plus the 3 random songs which I wish weren't on there really.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2418 on: January 14, 2021, 06:03:14 PM »
It has cleared Customs!  :metal

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2419 on: January 14, 2021, 06:04:22 PM »
 :metal :corn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2420 on: January 15, 2021, 03:39:33 PM »
MIne did too.

I also received my Bridge The Gap and Spirit On A Mission CDs as well.  I'm hopefully going to be painting tomorrow and so I'll get a good chance to listen to them again.

By the way, I had to return something else.  It came to about $10.50.  If I returned the item to Amazon, upon receipt of the goods, they would refund my original card.  If I took the refund on an Amazon gift card (virtual), the return was returnless (i.e. I didn't have to send back the thing I bought).  I'm sure they have a bot in there somewhere to make sure I don't do this willy-nilly.  but that seems rife for abuse.

Unrelated, if anyone needs a windshield washer pump for a 2004-2007 BMW X3, I've got one that works for a reasonable price.  ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2421 on: January 15, 2021, 04:00:27 PM »

Unrelated, if anyone needs a windshield washer pump for a 2004-2007 BMW X3, I've got one that works for a reasonable price.  ;)

Gee, and I just picked one up.  (not true..)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2422 on: January 15, 2021, 04:50:07 PM »

Gee, and I just picked one up.  (not true..)

My lucky day, I was heading out today to try and find this exact thing. (Also not true..)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2423 on: January 15, 2021, 06:20:59 PM »
 :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2424 on: January 15, 2021, 07:30:31 PM »
Stadler taking the award for best purchase of the thread!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2425 on: January 15, 2021, 07:39:04 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2426 on: January 15, 2021, 08:29:01 PM »
Stadler taking the award for best purchase of the thread!

Tim still gets 15%.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2427 on: January 16, 2021, 11:34:51 AM »
<Hushed voices...>

It came. 

(My phone died while I was taking pictures... I'll post them shortly.)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2428 on: January 16, 2021, 01:07:50 PM »
WTF? My status hasn’t  changed since Thursday.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2429 on: January 16, 2021, 04:21:52 PM »
<Hushed voices...>

It came. 

Um, do we really want to see it?  :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2430 on: January 16, 2021, 04:23:46 PM »
I'm so pissed. In DTF miles, Stadler isn't really that far from me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2431 on: January 16, 2021, 06:14:19 PM »
<Hushed voices...>

It came. 

Um, do we really want to see it?  :rollin

HAHA, okay, so I'll only post the pictures of the set:

I'm sorry TAC; I actually kind of feel bad (though I had nothing to do with it!)   I had kind of figured you'd've posted right before/after I did.   I'm rooting for you, though, buddy. I haven't listened to the CDs yet, but this looks like a first class package, for real.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2432 on: January 16, 2021, 06:41:59 PM »
All I got was a lousy water pump!

We have almost the same countertops in our kitchen, Except mine doesn't have a fucking Strangers box set on it. :censored :censored

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2433 on: January 17, 2021, 03:48:43 AM »
Nice Bill!  :metal

I love how we're all posting pics of the same thing.  :lol

Sorry Tim.  :'(

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2434 on: January 17, 2021, 08:11:41 AM »

:metal

@Stadler....

If you don't mind, can you tell me the shipping updates you got? I posted a pic from my laptop on Thursday saying it cleared customs, but that's the last update I have. Our CD's must've been travelling together, no? I think you ordered within an hour of me ordering.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2435 on: January 17, 2021, 11:00:53 AM »
All I got was a lousy water pump!

We have almost the same countertops in our kitchen, Except mine doesn't have a fucking Strangers box set on it. :censored :censored

HAHAHAHAHAHA, that got a laugh out loud.  (Sorry, bud, not at your expense.) 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2436 on: January 17, 2021, 11:13:06 AM »
Hopefully tomorrow based on your text. :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2437 on: January 17, 2021, 11:24:36 AM »

@Stadler....

If you don't mind, can you tell me the shipping updates you got? I posted a pic from my laptop on Thursday saying it cleared customs, but that's the last update I have. Our CD's must've been travelling together, no? I think you ordered within an hour of me ordering.

I sent the tracking by text (it was easier).  yes, I saw you ordered and went on maybe an hour or so later and bought it too.   As I said, mine went from "cleared customs" to "out for delivery" almost instantly.   Actually, I received it before I saw it changed.   It came by my mailman, too, not through the Amazon dudes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2438 on: January 17, 2021, 03:03:25 PM »
17. A Self Made Man (Walk on Water)

Michael Schenker's return to the band on Walk on Water brings possibly the heaviest riff he brings to the table.  Mentioned it before but I hear a laid back War Ensemble.  This is a catchy song, and one that can be listened to over and over and doesn't get old, it has wonderful lasting value.  I love that verse, that's my kind of verse.  That little riff fill at 0:45 is so good.  In typical UFO style, the pre chorus and chorus offer a really excellent contrast to the verses.  Great vocal melody in the chorus too.  The contrast back into that verse is excellent and makes the verse more powerful. 

The middle section is interesting and continues the more heavy side of the song.  Each section fits well and I quite like how there's no real solo, it doesn't sound like it needs a solo too, which is important.  I mean there's those Schenker fills under that Metallica style riff but love how ever section has it's place.  A wonderful intro to a wonderful album this one.

16. Profession of Violence (The Wild, The Willing and The Innocent)

I knew this one quite well before this thread due to the Showtime bonus studio tracks.  I love that version and still do, Vinnie does a great job but discovering the studio version at first it always sounds weird because you're not use to it, but I prefer it.  The magic on this track is excellent.  This definitely is like Try Me 2.0 with the mood and structure.  Big shoutout to Paul Raymond, his piano work on this is fucking beautiful.  Phil sounds wonderful as usual and like usual portrays a perfect mood.  He does an amazing job on that Showtime version too.

This would be Chapman's finest hour.  There's a few other solos I've his I mentioned I probably like more but this is a perfect and well written solo.  It builds, has melody, is emotional, a little bit technical and proudly can stand next to any Schenker solo IMO.  I love how it's a 2 minute solo but he doesn't 'go off' until like the last 30 seconds, so much restraint and focus on melody and pure creativity.  That melody that gets repeated at 2:26 is just amazing, something about that.  Repeats again at 2:45.  The way he builds this is quite outstanding.  How about that variation of that melody at 3:23, brilliant.  I want to mention that high note he slides into start that section, it's like the guitar is crying.  The next variation bend at 3:42 is the guitar crying even more again, there's more of that build. Then when he shreds at the end that's the climaxing and simply inconsolable crying from the guitar.  So good.

30. The Writer
29. Long Gone
28. Wonderland
27. Diesel in the Dust
26. I'm A Loser
25. Hunger in the Night
24. Darker Days
23. Can't Buy A Thrill
22. Meanstreets
21. This Kids/Between the Walls
20. Cherry
19. Born to Lose
18. Stop Breaking Down
17. A Self Made Man
16. Profession of Violence

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2439 on: January 17, 2021, 03:15:51 PM »
I LOVE "A Self Made Man" ("the fruits of yes you can!"). 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2440 on: January 17, 2021, 03:16:48 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2441 on: January 18, 2021, 04:29:54 PM »

Michael Schenker's return to the band on Walk on Water brings possibly the heaviest riff he brings to the table.  Mentioned it before but I hear a laid back War Ensemble.  This is a catchy song, and one that can be listened to over and over and doesn't get old, it has wonderful lasting value.  I love that verse, that's my kind of verse.  That little riff fill at 0:45 is so good.  In typical UFO style, the pre chorus and chorus offer a really excellent contrast to the verses.  Great vocal melody in the chorus too.  The contrast back into that verse is excellent and makes the verse more powerful. 

The middle section is interesting and continues the more heavy side of the song.  Each section fits well and I quite like how there's no real solo, it doesn't sound like it needs a solo too, which is important.  I mean there's those Schenker fills under that Metallica style riff but love how ever section has it's place.  A wonderful intro to a wonderful album this one.

A Self Made Man is amazing. That opening riff gets your attention right away. The War Ensemble comparison is right on, you can't unhear it. :lol

This song sets the stage for a magnificent album. Schenker/Mogg is a great combo.

16. Profession of Violence (The Wild, The Willing and The Innocent)

I knew this one quite well before this thread due to the Showtime bonus studio tracks.  I love that version and still do, Vinnie does a great job but discovering the studio version at first it always sounds weird because you're not use to it, but I prefer it.  The magic on this track is excellent.  This definitely is like Try Me 2.0 with the mood and structure.  Big shoutout to Paul Raymond, his piano work on this is fucking beautiful.  Phil sounds wonderful as usual and like usual portrays a perfect mood.  He does an amazing job on that Showtime version too.

This would be Chapman's finest hour.  There's a few other solos I've his I mentioned I probably like more but this is a perfect and well written solo.  It builds, has melody, is emotional, a little bit technical and proudly can stand next to any Schenker solo IMO.  I love how it's a 2 minute solo but he doesn't 'go off' until like the last 30 seconds, so much restraint and focus on melody and pure creativity.  That melody that gets repeated at 2:26 is just amazing, something about that.  Repeats again at 2:45.  The way he builds this is quite outstanding.  How about that variation of that melody at 3:23, brilliant.  I want to mention that high note he slides into start that section, it's like the guitar is crying.  The next variation bend at 3:42 is the guitar crying even more again, there's more of that build. Then when he shreds at the end that's the climaxing and simply inconsolable crying from the guitar.  So good.

This is a great song, and one I actually rate higher. As you say, it is the definitive Chapman moment with the band. Good call, man!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2442 on: January 18, 2021, 04:41:49 PM »
Thanks Tim.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2443 on: January 18, 2021, 04:45:13 PM »

Each section fits well and I quite like how there's no real solo, it doesn't sound like it needs a solo too, which is important.  I mean there's those Schenker fills under that Metallica style riff but love how ever section has it's place.  A wonderful intro to a wonderful album this one.

I'm not in a spot where I can listen to it, but isn't the last minute or more just one big blistering solo?

Edit - Yeah, and Profession of Violence is worthy of it's position on this list.  :tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2444 on: January 18, 2021, 08:23:22 PM »

Each section fits well and I quite like how there's no real solo, it doesn't sound like it needs a solo too, which is important.  I mean there's those Schenker fills under that Metallica style riff but love how ever section has it's place.  A wonderful intro to a wonderful album this one.

I'm not in a spot where I can listen to it, but isn't the last minute or more just one big blistering solo?

Edit - Yeah, and Profession of Violence is worthy of it's position on this list.  :tup

No one does an outro like Michael Schenker.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2445 on: January 18, 2021, 08:34:04 PM »
Listening to Walk On Water and during Venus, Schenker does a fill in the background at 3:13-3:21 which is subtle as hell but fucking amazing at the same time.

He rules that whole song, actually! :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2446 on: January 18, 2021, 08:56:16 PM »
Listening to Walk On Water and during Venus, Schenker does a fill in the background at 3:13-3:21 which is subtle as hell but fucking amazing at the same time.

He rules that whole song, actually! :metal

Indeed.  Stay tuned.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2447 on: January 18, 2021, 08:59:07 PM »
Ooohhh! :o

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2448 on: January 18, 2021, 09:42:49 PM »

No one does an outro like Michael Schenker.

WORD.  NEVER skip the fades on a Schenker track.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2449 on: January 19, 2021, 01:18:08 PM »
A PACKAGE HAS BEEN DELIVERED!!!